Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note in OP 9/4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

MR NINE wrote: »
    Matuidi would be a fantastic signing, exactly the kind of player we need but theres virtually no chance of us signing him. Hes at a better, richer, more established, more ambitious team in his native country. Hes not leaving paris for liverpool.

Matuidi doesn't really excite me but I think Liverpool would be a decent move for him. He gets to play in the premier league, challenge himself and make a position his own. I don't think PSG are necessarily a 'better or 'more established' team than Liverpool. Don't forget, many players realise its a privilige to play for Liverpool and to play in Anfield.

It is about ambition to an extent though... but if we are going to make two good signings this summer, and Rodgers is put in a position where he is able to communicate that, I think we could get some good players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Since it's highly likely we won't have CL football to offer next season, in order to get players like Lacazette, Matuidi etc., we'll have to offer much higher wages than usual.

United were able to sign players last summer because they spent crazy money; and if they had CL football, I doubt they'd have had to players like DiMaria 200k a week.

I think Henry needs to realise that getting the chequebook out, doesn't just mean high transfer fees; we only have a handful of players on >100k a week, and for teams around us, barring Arsenal, that's not the norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Matuidi doesn't really excite me but I think Liverpool would be a decent move for him. He gets to play in the premier league, challenge himself and make a position his own. I don't think PSG are necessarily a 'better or 'more established' team than Liverpool. Don't forget, many players realise its a privilige to play for Liverpool and to play in Anfield.

Do you really believe that Matuidi would leave PSG for Liverpool? I don't believe that you actually believe any of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I do x2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

J Mysterio wrote: »

It is about ambition to an extent though... but if we are going to make two good signings this summer, and Rodgers is put in a position where he is able to communicate that, I think we could get some good players.

I mean a better team as in psg have a better team than liverpool. A better first 11, a better squad and better players in general. And by more established im referring to the fact theyre consistently competing in the knockout phase of the champions league, something liverpool have not done in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

glued wrote: »
    Do you really believe that Matuidi would leave PSG for Liverpool? I don't believe that you actually believe any of that.

Sakho did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

murpho999 wrote: »
    Sakho did.

Because they spent over 100 million on Brazilian centre backs at the time more than anything, sakho obviously valued playing time more than money so opted for a transfer. Matuidi is a totally different scenario however, would love him here though he's a superb midfielder IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Sakho did.

Ah come on that's a different story altogether. Ancelotti thought he was too fat and he was playing terrible when PSG sold him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Sakho did.

Maybe is PSG spend big on a player in Matuidi's position. But he strikes me as one of those midfielders who stands out occasionaly, but would be difficult to contain in a tactical structure, will want to go walkabout when he feels like it.

But guess it would be more Parisian company for Ibra...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

If we sacrifice Sterling to sign Benteke I'll cry

We wouldn't be doing that. The club don't want to lose sterling but he may force a move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Can someone witty please make up a song for Sterling to the tune of 99 red balloons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

east 17 stay now, no need to change the lyrics

Don't you know
    We've come too far now
    Just to go
    And try to throw it all away
    Thought I heard you say
    You love me
    That your love was gonna be here to stay
    I've only just begun
    To know you
    All I can say is
    Won't you stay just one more day
    Baby if you've got to go away
    I don't think
    I can take the pain
    Won't you stay another day
    Oh don't leave me alone like this
    Don't say it's the final kiss
    I touch your face while you are sleeping
    And hold your hand
    Don't understand what's going on
    Good times we had return
    To haunt me
    Though it's for you
    All that I do seem to be wrong
    Baby if you've got to go away
    I don't think
    I can take the pain
    Oh don't leave me alone like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

AdU6m3c.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Knex. wrote: »
    AdU6m3c.gif

Was gonna post the Team America vomiting one meself.

Was gonna post the Team America vomiting one meself.

I think they're are quite a few that would be applicable.

Jaysus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Sakho did.

Sakho had been sidelined and left PSG to get first team football. Maituidi is a very important part of the PSG 1st 11.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Any song for Sterling should be to the tune of Hi Ho Silver Lining (Hi Ho Raheem Sterling) imo.

Post new contract signing though, if that happens.

Can't see benteke coming in, Ings most likely current PL striker to come in imo. Can see balotelli, Lambert & borini all leaving, up to 2months ago I'd have been sure enough Mario would be kept. Borini is a cert to go, Lambert very likely to but from our point of view Lambert not really a big deal now. Guts of £10m for borini is required presumably.

If we keep sterling is sterling, sturridge, origi and ings potentially mustard cutting? FSG would think so imo. Considering Ibe, coutinho & lallana are here.

Add in another striker of note and perhaps most would be happy?

Augeo wrote: »
    Can't see benteke coming in, Ings most likely current PL striker to come in imo. Can see balotelli, Lambert & borini all leaving, up to 2months ago I'd have been sure enough Mario would be kept. Borini is a cert to go, Lambert very likely to but from our point of view Lambert not really a big deal now. Guts of £10m for borini is required presumably.

If we keep sterling is sterling, sturridge, origi and ings potentially mustard cutting? FSG would think so imo. Considering Ibe, coutinho & lallana are here.

Add in another striker of note and perhaps most would be happy?

Well here is the kicker in getting Ings and Origi - if you being in another experienced striker, you just block their progress. So maybe hanging onto Balo would make sense, see if he improves in his second season as happens so often (it did for Hendo, Sakho, even Suarez improved the longer he was there).

Borini and Lambert will both happily leave I reckon, Borini cause he knows now that he'll never get a shot, and Lambert cause be fulfilled his dream.

Don't see us getting 10m for Borini, considering he's just spent a year doing feck all. Last year was time to sell.

I am surprised he was used so seldom though, especially at the start of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Don't see us getting 10m for Borini, considering he's just spent a year doing feck all. Last year was time to sell.

I am surprised he was used so seldom though, especially at the start of the year.

That day we were supposed to be getting 14 million for borini and getting Remy for 8 million was a season changer.

Dickerty wrote: »
    Well here is the kicker in getting Ings and Origi - if you being in another experienced striker, you just block their progress. So maybe hanging onto Balo would make sense, see if he improves in his second season as happens so often (it did for Hendo, Sakho, even Suarez improved the longer he was there).

Perhaps, as I said, 2 months back I was thinking Bali would be staying, the recent past suggests he's not at all interested in staying or putting in a shift, might well flip to the good side though.

There's enough games to keep 4 strikers happy imo when you consider injuries etc. From a point of view of managing their fitness even, especially with EL looming.

I'm guessing Balotelli is being a sulky twat in training, because the last good few appearances he's put in on the pitch that I've seen have been at least as good as Sturridge in terms of application and workrate. There has to be a lot of stuff going on there that we don't know about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

5starpool wrote: »
    I'm guessing Balotelli is being a sulky twat in training, because the last good few appearances he's put in on the pitch that I've seen have been at least as good as Sturridge in terms of application and workrate. There has to be a lot of stuff going on there that we don't know about.

Rodgers man management...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

That day we were supposed to be getting 14 million for borini and getting Remy for 8 million was a season changer.

Too true.

Yep... He was putting in decent shifts.... The incident where the fans held him back seemed to be the end of it though IIRC. And the recent illnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Well lately it seem he just doesn't want to play for the club which is beyond the pale Imo, should be first player out the door come summer. I was hopeful when he arrived but its clear now he doesn't suit our style of play and is never gonna adapt to it.

brevity wrote: »
    Rodgers man management...

Again, there must be a lot going on for him to have all season been talking about how Mario needs to do this and that before he'll trust him, etc.

If it was just so that Rodgers could make his point publicly to whoever really signed him then it was a terrible way to do it, but surely that's not the case.

I doubt we'll ever really know the real story anyhow. We might hear one side of it at some point, but who knows if that would be the proper truth either.

Besiktas game comes to mind. He was far better than Sturridge, was taken off early, and has barely been seen since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Why they signed ballotelli ,who is the opposite to Luis Suarez on the pitch is beyond me... Mario thinks he's a far better player then he is...its like once he got his move to a big club on big money years back that was it...he was happy...he got worse and not better...

A non team player if ever there was one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Why they signed ballotelli ,who is the opposite to Luis Suarez on the pitch is beyond me... Mario thinks he's a far better player then he is...its like once he got his move to a big club on big money years back that was it...he was happy...he got worse and not better...

A non team player if ever there was one

Nah mate you have it all wrong, Balo is a brilliant player, it's the way BR is treating him that is making him so lazy and uninterested looking and that also accounts for the lack of goals, it was merely a coincidence that we were shyte when Balo was playing regularly and we became a lot better when he was eventually dropped.

Civil Service Lunchtime!

(N.B. Not me...)

I think we have to put Sturridge down as a luxury player for us now, as he's just too damn injury prone to be reliable, unfortunately.

With that perspective, we are in desperate need of a striker. Origi and Ings may well replace Borini and Lambert. Balotelli is likely to be shipped out too.

I'd wager that we would stop there, unless another deal like what we thought the Balotelli one would be, gets put on our table at the last minute. If we do conclude business going into next year with Sturridge, Origi and Ings, then that's a hell of a lot of unknown, tbh.

Yeah, it could be great, but I'd seriously doubt we'd be getting anywhere near a title challenge with that, unfortunately. And tbh, that's where we need to be looking at if we want to consistently make top 4. You need to be in the discussions when it comes to winning the titles. The top 4 or 5 teams in the PL have too much talent, money, and strength in depth for us to be relying on youthful promise or things lining up right for us.

If we sign Ings and not a striker we would want to start in 30+ games, and can rely on to score, I'd be pretty damn annoyed. Especially if it comes down to money, be it wages or transfer fee.

I'd rather we put those funds towards the player, and go into next year with Sturridge, Origi and say, Vietto. I'd love Lacazette, but I think he might have surpassed us this year, and PSG may well be throwing money in his direction come summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Balotelli, Borini, Lambert, Johnson , Gerrard ,Jones all on there way out.

Then maybe Sterling, Enrique & Lucas.

That could be 8/9 players out of the squad gone or going this summer.

That looks like another summer of rebuilding to me.

Augeo wrote: »
    Yep... He was putting in decent shifts.... The incident where the fans held him back seemed to be the end of it though IIRC. And the recent illnesses.

I don't want to start an argument but I can not understand the number of apologists the man has on here.

He has no end product, little work rate generally, no discipline and has a horrible attitude to his teammates. I for one won't be undergoing any sort of deep analysis into reasons Mario Balotelli failed at Liverpool when he is eventually shipped on.

noodler wrote: »
    I don't want to start an argument but I can not understand the number of apologists the man has on here.

He has no end product, little work rate generally, no discipline and has a horrible attitude to his teammates. I for one won't be undergoing any sort of deep analysis into reasons Mario Balotelli failed at Liverpool when he is eventually shipped on.

I'm certainly not an apologist. It's for the best if he leaves this summer for several reasons. I'm just curious about what's going on there that we can't see, because while he hasn't been great for us on the pitch, most of the time he has been no worse than some others who get far less criticism from both fans and the manager. If you don't share the opinion that's fine, but can I not hold that view without being labelled an apologist?

Is anyone who holds a position less critical than you on something an apologist?

Balotelli, Borini, Lambert, Johnson , Gerrard ,Jones all on there way out.

Then maybe Sterling, Enrique & Lucas.

That could be 8/9 players out of the squad gone or going this summer.

That looks like another summer of rebuilding to me.

On the positive side; Don't think Sterling will go, and only Lucas from the above, going on this seasons form, will be missed (I love Gerrard, but sorry).

Add that to young players such as Moreno and Markovic being more settled and experienced, and we should be in better stead if we get signings right.

The big ones are a striker and DM, imo.

Apologist is the new hipster. So in vogue.

Anyone growing an apologist beard? Mine is looking great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Nah, 'Im that one guy who has the beard ten years or more'

The hip answer to hipster accusations:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dwayned

At the moment every time we play I just worry about where the goals are going to come from, Sturridge hasn't got fully fit after the injury and if it happens again next season and Origi doesn't hit the ground running...

I know this doesn't tell the full picture and the fact that we have tightened up at the back but we really need to see a proven striker come in during the Summer.

Who? That's the question, and as somebody said the other day Henry might have to go against his wishes to pay the bigger wages.

When you look at the top 4

Chelsea
    Costa 19
    Hazard 14

Arsenal
    Giroud 14
    Sanchez 14

United
    Rooney 12
    van Persie 10

City
    Aguero 19
    Silva 11

Our top scorers are:
    Sterling 7
    Gerrard 6

And as Knex said above hopefully some of the new guys settle in and contribute more goals to the tally as well.

dwayned wrote: »
    At the moment every time we play I just worry about where the goals are going to come from, Sturridge hasn't got fully fit after the injury and if it happens again next season and Origi doesn't hit the ground running...

I know this doesn't tell the full picture and the fact that we have tightened up at the back but we really need to see a proven striker come in during the Summer.

Who? That's the question, and as somebody said the other day Henry might have to go against his wishes to pay the bigger wages.

When you look at the top 4

Chelsea - Costa 19 goals
    Hazard 14

Arsenal - Giroud 14
    Sanchez 14

United - Rooney 12
    van Persie 10

City - Aguero 19
    Silva 11

Our top scorers are:
    Sterling 7
    Gerrard 6

And as Knex said above hopefully some of the new guys settle in and contribute more goals to the tally as well.

I'm pretty sure that is a clear sign of the madness.

On the positive side; Don't think Sterling will go, and only Lucas from the above, going on this seasons form, will be missed (I love Gerrard, but sorry).

Add that to young players such as Moreno and Markovic being more settled and experienced, and we should be in better stead if we get signings right.

The big ones are a striker and DM, imo.

It often happens that players are better i ntheir second season in a new league, but it often turns out that they just aren't good enough or ever going to settle into the team at all. Hopefully most of those we signed last summer come into category A, but I wouldn't take it as a given at all.

If we sell 7/8 and sign a similar amount again this summer though we'll be damned to the same excuses again next season if we don't compete near the top (and I don't mean challenge meaningfully for the title).

Is anyone who holds a position less critical than you on something an apologist?

Yes.

I hold the appropriate amount of criticism for Mario.

hqdefault.jpg

Lets see it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Last Summer we had Champions League football to offer on the back of a season where we should have won the title while playing some of the sexiest football I've ever seen.

Since then, we've lost our best player, we practically lost our second best player in Sturridge, we flopped in Europe and as it stands CL football next season is a long shot. We're not the attractive prospect we were no less than a year ago, sadly.

If we couldn't attract big names last Summer I hold no hope for this Summer. I hope I'm wrong.

A lot of next season depends on the current squad getting it right, keeping Sterling and Sturridge sorting out his injury problems imo and I wouldn't hold out much hope of getting in big wage/name players to help our top 4 challenge, never mind a title challenge.

We need to ship out Borini, Lambert, etc... (usual names mentioned) and build with what we have with the likes of Origi and possibly Ings to come in. Can't see us attracting any bigger names than the likes of Ings at the moment, that's if he doesn't go to United/elsewhere. I don't know what Ings wants himself but like any player he'd like CL football. He'd Prob get more minutes with us.

In short, no big names coming in imo, we'll need our current squad to gel for the majority of any success we'll have. Do that consistently and then we can go after the big names. Whatever about no CL football/title challenge we just don't have the resources to compete with the bigger clubs for players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Would love to see Klopp as manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Watch Dortmund's next game...he's their manager

King of the Kop Klopp.

Klopp has a nice beard.

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Last Summer we had Champions League football to offer on the back of a season where we should have won the title while playing some of the sexiest football I've ever seen.

Since then, we've lost our best player, we practically lost our second best player in Sturridge, we flopped in Europe and as it stands CL football next season is a long shot. We're not the attractive prospect we were no less than a year ago, sadly.

If we couldn't attract big names last Summer I hold no hope for this Summer. I hope I'm wrong.

A lot of next season depends on the current squad getting it right, keeping Sterling and Sturridge sorting out his injury problems imo and I wouldn't hold out much hope of getting in big wage/name players to help our top 4 challenge, never mind a title challenge.

We need to ship out Borini, Lambert, etc... (usual names mentioned) and build with what we have with the likes of Origi and possibly Ings to come in. Can't see us attracting any bigger names than the likes of Ings at the moment, that's if he doesn't go to United/elsewhere. I don't know what Ings wants himself but like any player he'd like CL football. He'd Prob get more minutes with us.

In short, no big names coming in imo, we'll need our current squad to gel for the majority of any success we'll have. Do that consistently and then we can go after the big names. Whatever about no CL football/title challenge we just don't have the resources to compete with the bigger clubs for players.

http://static.celebuzz.com/uploads/2013/08/14/jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement