Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note in OP 9/4

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

T-K-O wrote: »

Beg to differ and enlighten me please. Who do you think we could get that would be better for us than Ings? Why didn't we get this player last season? I've got my hopes up about too many transfer windows to think this Summer will be any different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'd say we might be able to get a few players that aren't from relegation fodder teams in fairness.

Worth noting, Danny Ings will not be playing any CL football no matter who he signs for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Beg to differ and enlighten me please. Who do you think we could get that would be better for us than Ings? Why didn't we get this player last season? I've got my hopes up about too many transfer windows to think this Summer will be any different.

We got better players than Ings last season and we will get better this season. Nothing against Ings, I wouldn't mind him for the price touted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

Balotelli, Borini, Lambert, Johnson , Gerrard ,Jones all on there way out.

Then maybe Sterling, Enrique & Lucas.

That could be 8/9 players out of the squad gone or going this summer.

That looks like another summer of rebuilding to me.

Those in bold rarely feature now, nor did they feature of note in our decent run.

Lucas might stay, so might Sterling. Replacing Lucas is not the puzzle some think it is (5 game stretch without him but playing the formation he featured in yielded 4W and a draw).

Fear not regarding a summer of rebuilding.
    noodler wrote: »
    I don't want to start an argument but I can not understand the number of apologists the man has on here.

He has no end product, little work rate generally, no discipline and has a horrible attitude to his teammates. I for one won't be undergoing any sort of deep analysis into reasons Mario Balotelli failed at Liverpool when he is eventually shipped on.

Lets not start on the apologists rubbish unless you want to get on Mr Alan's friend list of course :)

I said he put in decent shifts, quoting a post that mentioned a period where he did ok. I'm not at all trying to justify keeping him, as far as I can see he's finished at LFC and I'm not bothered about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

A replacement for Lucas and if sterling leaves we'll need to make sure we have a suitable replacement lined up too.

Also, a striker who is tougher than boiled asparagus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Vicxas wrote: »
    Also, a striker who is tougher than boiled asparagus.

Have you ever tried to cut boiled asparagus? It's pretty resiliant...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Augeo wrote: »

Lets not start on the apologists rubbish unless you want to get on Mr Alan's friend list of course :)

I said he put in decent shifts, quoting a post that mentioned a period where he did ok. I'm not at all trying to justify keeping him, as far as I can see he's finished at LFC and I'm not bothered about it.

Fair enough, I will hold off on the emotive word but I still am baffled by the number of people who are willing to see something that just isn't there.

Sad watching him when Suarez was destroying David Luiz last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Dickerty wrote: »

Wait till it's called up by Roy Hodgson....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Dickerty wrote: »

Have you ever seen it try to head a ball ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Knex. wrote: »
    Apologist is the new hipster. So in vogue.

Anyone growing an apologist beard? Mine is looking great.

I have one. I hate it, but lots of people on this thread keep telling me it's great and it suits me, even though I know it doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I still punch the air and say something completely random when suarez scores for barca ..usually with a mad 'fcuk them cnuts' expression on my face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

dwayned wrote: »
    Our top scorers are:
    Sterling 7
    Gerrard 6

Jasus, Gerrard has barely played this season and he's second top goalscorer. Granted they're probably mostly peno's but... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Great to see Coutinho nominated for PFA POTY and YPOTY. Especially with Silva and Oscar nowhere near. He's been a terrific signing and you really can't argue that with a straight face.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

monkey9 wrote: »
    Great to see Coutinho nominated for PFA POTY and YPOTY. Especially with Silva and Oscar nowhere near. He's been a terrific signing and you really can't argue that with a straight face.

Hopefully his consistency will improve, as when he is on his game then the team plays well really (rather than the other way around). He is a catalyst of so much when on song, and he has been great value for the price paid.

He's (hopefully) not finished developing yet though, and hopefully we'll see him blossom into a truly wonderful player while at the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just give Coutinho a front line to feed......or play him as a false number 9!

Listening to Guardian football weekly - Paul Doyle suggesting Lucas out Gerrard in for the FA Cup game cos its destiny or something. *bangs head in desk*

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Listening to Guardian football weekly - Paul Doyle suggesting Lucas out Gerrard in for the FA Cup game cos its destiny or something. *bangs head in desk*

I would be surprised if he doesn't start though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Similar things were said about his last Merseyside derby and his last game against United and look how they turned out. Fcuk destiny. The best team on the day should start, end of.

What I'd do to see Gerrard lift that FA Cup though having played a MotM final (if we get there) :) I'd love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Yeah Gerrard only needs to play the semi final as an impact sub if we're struggling. There is absolutely no way he should start.

Now if we reach the final, that's another story. He must be the first name on the team sheet. He's done more than enough for the club to deserve that and lead his team out in his last game in a big cup final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Gerard for Lucas makes sense if we play 3 at the back imo, he can sit and dictate play with confidence and not worry to much about defending as skrtel is behind him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Gerard for Lucas makes sense if we play 3 at the back imo, he can sit and dictate play with confidence and not worry to much about defending as skrtel is behind him.

No, for the love of god. Gerrard should be nowhere near a starting 11 between now and the time he jets off to California.

No, for the love of god. Gerrard should be nowhere near a starting 11 between now and the time he jets off to California.

I wouldn't be to happy to see him come back in, but if he does play then that's only way imo, He will definitely create a lot more than Lucas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Evening chums

I wouldn't be to happy to see him come back in, but if he does play then that's only way imo, He will definitely create a lot more than Lucas.

It doesn't matter how much he creates because he's too much of a liability at the back and we will 100% concede.

Just reading that Ian Ayre has said Sterling will be a Liverpool player for years to come, that's him gone in the summer.

• Advertisement

There were a few tickets back up on sale earlier for Sunday

It doesn't matter how much he creates because he's too much of a liability at the back and we will 100% concede.

Well if he creates 110% goals then its all good.

Well if he creates 110% goals then its all good.

He can create all he likes, we have nobody to put the ball in the net (bar a Gerrard fk or penalty). If he starts as a defensive midfielder, Villa win, simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I wouldn't go starting Stevie against Villa but if needed between now and the end of the season,I'm sure he could do a job in a midfield consisting of Lucas and Henderson.

Napoli tonight, A tough away game for Benitez on his birthday.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I wouldn't go starting Stevie against Villa but if needed between now and the end of the season,I'm sure he could do a job in a midfield consisting of Lucas and Henderson.

Napoli tonight, A tough away game for Benitez on his birthday.

He hasn't done a job at any other stage of the season, what makes you think he could do it now?

• Advertisement

He hasn't done a job at any other stage of the season, what makes you think he could do it now?

Gerrard gets things moving, himself and Henderson are the two midfielders that are actually able to do anything in the oppositions half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

If you play Gerrard in front of the back three you might as well play with ten men. He comes too deep to collect the ball off the toes of the defenders meaning you are losing a player to receive a pass. One forward can mark the three defenders and Gerrard because the ball is always going to Gerrard. I'd leave Lucas, Henderson and Allen as the midfield for Sunday.

Gerrard gets things moving, himself and Henderson are the two midfielders that are actually able to do anything in the oppositions half.

He doesn't, he gets the ball and loses it far more often than he retains possession. I would have him as an option from the bench for the front 3 and nothing else.

He can create all he likes, we have nobody to put the ball in the net (bar a Gerrard fk or penalty). If he starts as a defensive midfielder, Villa win, simple as that.

3 at the back changes the DM role alot, I think its a bit overkill having a traditional DM in there as it stifles our attack a bit, Gerard in there makes sense to me at least more than any where else on the pitch. So if Gerard starts we might as well turn off the TV cos its game over? You should invest in a crystal ball.

3 at the back changes the DM role alot, I think its a bit overkill having a traditional DM in there as it stifles our attack a bit, Gerard in there makes sense to me at least more than any where else on the pitch. So if Gerard starts we might as well turn off the TV cos its game over? You should invest in a crystal ball.

Gerrard has played as a DM in front of a 3 and was a disaster.

He doesn't, he gets the ball and loses it far more often than he retains possession. I would have him as an option from the bench for the front 3 and nothing else.

He ain't got the legs for the front 3.

I have tbh I'd still have him in a midfield over Allen and thats my preference in not having Allen along with Lucas in midfield at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

I can't believe that the idea of gerrard as a sitting midfielder is still being touted after the car crash of the first half of season. He has never truly been suited to the position and hasn't the discipline that goes with it. If he was to start it should be attacking mid ahead of Lucas and hendo or somewhere in front 3

He ain't got the legs for the front 3.

30 minutes off the bench should be OK.

Gerrard has played as a DM in front of a 3 and was a disaster.

You will need to refresh my memory on that one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Wembley is a big pitch, playing gerrard would be a poor decioson imo.

You will need to refresh my memory on that one?

Leicester, scored 2 penalties but an awful performance. The 3-0 loss to United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Has anyone been missing Gerrard? Nope. Says it all.

30 minutes off the bench should be OK.

We like to harry and close down high up the pitch Gerard doesnt have the pace to do that not even if its just for 30 min.

Gerrard playing in front of the back three isn't really a DM, I always thought it was more of a deep play maker, like what Pirlo does at Juve. Its probably not really an option for the PL because of the pace of the league.

Has anyone been missing Gerrard? Nope. Says it all.

Its not that long ago now Harry, when you were calling for Gerrard to start.

Gerrard is a great man to have to come off the bench in a big game.

No better player in that situation at the club still

Gerrard playing in front of the back three isn't really a DM, I always thought it was more of a deep play maker, like what Pirlo does at Juve. Its probably not really an option for the PL because of the pace of the league.

Pirlo has more vision in his left ear than Gerrard can dream of having at this stage of his career. Getting a ball and attempting 10-15 Hollywood balls isn't play making, it's losing possession regularly.

Pirlo has more vision in his left ear than Gerrard can dream of having at this stage of his career. Getting a ball and attempting 10-15 Hollywood balls isn't play making, it's losing possession regularly.

So you're not a fan of Gerrard, I can see that but he's nowhere the level of Shyte You're making him out to be.

• Advertisement

Leicester, scored 2 penalties but an awful performance. The 3-0 loss to United.

Lucas also started the Leicester game, and that Man u game was the first time we used 3 at the back and Johnson started in it. Im not in favour of him coming back in I jus think that's the only place in the team that would even half suit him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement