Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note in OP 9/4

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Stupid Friday, hurry up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

5starpool wrote: »
    Has he not only scored something like 5 goals this season too?

He's only scored 4 league goals but he has got a **** hot international record.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    He's only scored 4 league goals but he has got a **** hot international record.

We could try to transfer the club to Internationals instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

rarnes1 wrote: »
    We could try to transfer the club to Internationals instead

The republic of Merseyside has a nice ring to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

MD1990 wrote: »
    Enner Valencia is a striker we should go for. Suits our style perfectly.

No more midtable PL players please, our record with them is so poor. Its where we waste most our money, buy foreign.

The republic of Merseyside has a nice ring to it.

Most people will drop the Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

brevity wrote: »
    True.

Although the good doctor has his own controversies as well...

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/7324261/germany-dr-hans-wilhelm-muller-wohlfahrta-great-healer-quack-hyperactive-syringe

Injecting patients with loaded syringes of Actovegin (pronounced: act-o-VEE-gin) is viewed suspiciously in many global outposts and, while not banned, the substance remains on the radar of sports anti-doping bodies. Actovegin is not approved for use in either the United States or Canada. Of late, it's been in the news as central to the U.S. criminal case against Toronto-based sports doctor Anthony Galea, who has pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of bringing unapproved substances, specifically Actovegin and human growth hormone, into the United States. Galea faces up 12 to 18 months' imprisonment at sentencing on Friday.

None of Muller-Wohlfahrt'swork in Munich has been peer-reviewed. Nor has he published any studies related to his use of Actovegin in any major medical journals. And that leaves people like Travis Tygart, the United States Anti-Doping Agency boss, calling Muller-Wohlfahrt's heavy dose of injections a "Frankenstein-type experiment." He is simply unable to accept that athletes dabble in substances not approved by the Food and Drug Administration.

"If you are truly motivated by the health of your populations, why wouldn't you want to spread that?" asks Tygart, referring to the lack of documented research. "I mean if you had a cure for cancer, you are too busy not to let the rest of the world have it? Come on. You're too busy making a profit off it to let the rest of the world have it. And you might have serious questions whether it would pass the smell test of the rest of the world.

Maybe he's just ahead of the curve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Shay Given confirmed in goal for Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Full interview will be on FF tomorrow at 12;10 pm on BBC 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I wouldn't sign him either and I do think £20m is about the right going price for him or a player like him

What it shows me if true is that once again the club goes in with a low ball offer for a player.

I wouldn't trust whoever buys the players with £28 let alone £28m at the moment.

Definitely wouldn't want him at any more than 10 million myself, and to be honest would rather we weren't interested at all.

He's a physical-attribute player. All speed, strength and bustle, which is fine in some teams, but if you want to actually play the ball around intelligently he'd drive you nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

garra wrote: »
    That would be exactly the reason I would play Gerrard at Wembley, has the range of passing to exploit the spaces in behind defence. Would play him with 20 mins left, he could cause havoc with Sterling running in behind.

Lots more space for him to kick the ball out for throw ins and goal kicks. His passing range seems to have gone along with his stamina and pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Ffs the semi clashes with Leinster game.

sweetie wrote: »

shankly22.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

GAAOUTAAHERE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Sweetie, start the stepping and hit the bricks.

Playing Spurs away

Liverpool U21s: Vigouroux, Whelan, Hart, Randall (c), Cleary, O'Hanlan, Canos, Trickett-Smith, Kent, Wilson, Yesil,

Liverpool U21s subs: Brewitt, Ejaria, Gomes, Pelosi, Firth (GK).

Unexpected call up for young Madger Gomes. Great to see Ryan Kent fit again, Rossiter is out for the rest of the season. I think there are only 3 games after tonight.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! Ryan Kent 0-1 on 5 mins.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!! Samed Yesil 0-2 28 mins

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!! Samed Yesil 0-3 49 mins

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Spurs score 1-3 77 mins

FT Liverpool win Samed Yesil with what sounded like two clinical strikes, really hope he just gets a clear run. He arrived with a huge reputation at youth level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Huh? They're playing Swansea at 3pm tomorrow.

They spell it with a C too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Huh? They're playing Swansea at 3pm tomorrow.

They spell it with a C too.

No offence but you're completely wrong.
    It's c not C.
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Yeah it's great, means we won't even flick the tv over to that shíte by mistake!

Now Sturridge for Sunday, is he in, out or just shaking it all about??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Coutinho: Why I didn't think twice about signing new Liverpool FC deal
    “Liverpool have always shown a great warmth to me so when they came to me with a proposal I did not need to think twice to renew the contract,” he said.

“I have always been looked after very well by this football club and I am very happy at this football club, so I didn’t even have to think about it.”

Signing the contract appeared to have a positive impact on Coutinho’s form.

“It is difficult for me to say that,” he said.

“I’d rather not talk about myself in terms of stepping up levels and things like that because my personal preference is to do my work during the week and then show my best in the game.

“Sometimes the game does not go for you no matter how much you try, but I do what I can and I leave other people to their opinions on how I played.”

A new deal won’t stop clubs from trying to prise Coutinho away. If Liverpool don’t qualify for the Champions League, there will inevitably be speculation about him being targeted by those operating within Europe’s elite.

He added: “My mind is at Liverpool, I’m a Liverpool player and I don’t think about those things because I am happy here and want to be here.

“The season has not finished yet regarding the Champions League. There are still a few games to go, many things can happen and we will try to finish the season on a high – and in the FA Cup as well - for me and the club.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/coutinho-didnt-think-twice-signing-9069762

Ya hear that Sterling? eh eh? :D

Just a joy to watch. Coutinho v Newcastle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I like Bolasie
    He reminds me of Suarez
    He fights for everything and love to play
    He's a winner and there is one thing he likes more that attacking, defending.
    He's a good player and man.
    His attitude is great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

His posts appear rarely,
    Yet are impeccably styled,
    And that's why we love him,
    BorneTobyWilde.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Just a joy to watch. Coutinho v Newcastle

I could watch that over and over again.

A sin we don't have the firepower ahead of him.

• Advertisement

I like Bolasie
    He reminds me of Suarez
    He fights for everything and love to play
    He's a winner and there is one thing he likes more that attacking, defending.
    He's a good player and man.
    His attitude is great

He can be compared to Suarez as far as effort goes, but not anything else.

I like him, he's a very honest player, puts everything in, but he's nowhere near good enough. He'll run, and fight, and harry, but he's just not a good ball player. He also pushes the ball way too far ahead of himself when he's running.

Basically, he's Kevin Kilbane.

Great for anything up to a mid table team, but simple doesn't play enough football for anyone in the top 6 or so.

Look at his best game, which was against us - he works really hard, and makes great runs, but passing is literally the last option for him every time. If he played for us, we'd be screaming at him out of frustration for ignoring the likes of Coutinho, Henderson, Lallana, Sturridge and Sterling. They all play quick passing games, loads of touches between them, loads of give and goes in tight spaces. Bolasie just can't do that. Again, great in the right setting, but in a team setup where everyone attacks together shifting and spreading play through quick accurate passing, he doesn't fit.

noodler wrote: »
    I could watch that over and over again.

A sin we don't have the firepower ahead of him.

I'd love to see him get into the six yard box a bit more and get on the end of plays he tends to start.

Looking at that video there of Bolassie and it looked like Manquilo had a decent enough game, bar maybe two small mistakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    He can be compared to Suarez as far as effort goes, but not anything else.

I like him, he's a very honest player, puts everything in, but he's nowhere near good enough. He'll run, and fight, and harry, but he's just not a good ball player. He also pushes the ball way too far ahead of himself when he's running.

Basically, he's Kevin Kilbane.

Great for anything up to a mid table team, but simple doesn't play enough football for anyone in the top 6 or so.

Look at his best game, which was against us - he works really hard, and makes great runs, but passing is literally the last option for him every time. If he played for us, we'd be screaming at him out of frustration for ignoring the likes of Coutinho, Henderson, Lallana, Sturridge and Sterling. They all play quick passing games, loads of touches between them, loads of give and goes in tight spaces. Bolasie just can't do that. Again, great in the right setting, but in a team setup where everyone attacks together shifting and spreading play through quick accurate passing, he doesn't fit.

He listens too
    Rodgers would have an effect
    He's a team player who can progress
    His attitude, compared to Balotelli is like chalk and cheese
    I see potential but only 8 millions worth
    I would sell to buy too so he costs nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

He is definitely not good enough for us. A willing runner but basically a beast with pace.

That clip really highlighted how lethargic and far off the pace Gerrard was in that defensive midfield position. He was nowhere near anyone in any of the clips and very unaware for their goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

He is definitely not good enough for us. A willing runner but basically a beast with pace.

That clip really highlighted how lethargic and far off the pace Gerrard was in that defensive midfield position. He was nowhere near anyone in any of the clips and very unaware for their goal.

I'd have taken him this season over Lambert and Balotelli if he could have been bought of 8-10 million. His pace and willingness to take on defenders could have worked well with sterling and the count around him feeding him balls. I reckon he's make a good third striker option but he'd be too expensive now.

I'd have taken him this season over Lambert and Balotelli if he could have been bought of 8-10 million. His pace and willingness to take on defenders could have worked well with sterling and the count around him feeding him balls. I reckon he's make a good third striker option but he'd be too expensive now.

He's really not a striker...

If you want a winger forward in that style, imo Mane at Southampton is a much better player. Much more composed on the ball and much more clinical.

Anyone see much of Shkëlzen Gashi at Basel, he has a great scoring record for the last couple of seasons.

I watched a few videos on YouTube and he doesn't look too bad, he can play rw, lw and through the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Coutinho: Why I didn't think twice about signing new Liverpool FC deal

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/coutinho-didnt-think-twice-signing-9069762

Something to be said for an unequivocal statement of commitment.

Obviously we're selling him in the summer so..:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Bolasie isn't a ball player :confused:

Bolasie would cost too much but I would prefer him to Lallana & Markovic. He has got incredible pace
    https://vine.co/v/OwEzFIX3mLb

He hits the crossbar too he is perfect for us

He's really not a striker...

If you want a winger forward in that style, imo Mane at Southampton is a much better player. Much more composed on the ball and much more clinical.

Neither is Sterling, or Countinho for that matter, but Liverpool have played some of the best football and got the best results with Sterling in the striker position to use his speed. Pity about his finishing. Someone with that pace and hunger to fight for the ball is what we're missing up top.

Bolasie is lightening quick,very strong, & very good at 1v1's. His final third play was very poor but has improved alot in the last 2-3 months. Under Rodgers I think he could a very good player for us.

Bolasie isn't a ball player :confused:

Bolasie would cost too much but I would prefer him to Lallana & Markovic. He has got incredible pace
    https://vine.co/v/OwEzFIX3mLb

He hits the crossbar too he is perfect for us

90% of what he does, he does alone. We play as a unit. He doesn't fit that. He has lots of positive attributes, they just don't suit us. It's Ryan Babel with more effort. It's all fine and good being faster than everyone else, but if you're not playing on the same wavelength as those around you, whats the point? We really, really need to aim higher.
    Neither is Sterling, or Countinho for that matter, but Liverpool have played some of the best football and got the best results with Sterling in the striker position to use his speed. Pity about his finishing. Someone with that pace and hunger to fight for the ball is what we're missing up top.
    Sure in that case why not put Moreno up there? He'll run and harry and fight. He's also as much a striker as Bolasie is. Bolasie has 4 goals in 28 this season, to go along with his 0 in 25 last season, or his 3 in 39 the previous season. Alternatively, we could just, like, get a striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Any forward player we bring in has to have goals.

Bolasie has the stellar record of having scored 7 goals in 106 games for palace.

We're better off signing nobody than getting another player who doesn't score.

We have Ibe, Markovic and Lallana in the squad who haven't proven themselves to be goalscorers and need games to prove they have what it takes. There's no point in further diluting the squad with more of the same.

Sure in that case why not put Moreno up there? He'll run and harry and fight. He's also as much a striker as Bolasie is. Bolasie has 4 goals in 28 this season, to go along with his 0 in 25 last season, or his 3 in 39 the previous season. Alternatively, we could just, like, get a striker.

I'm not saying we should sign Bolasie though. Rodgers likes players that can play more than one position, Bolasie fits that bill and could have been better to us this season than Balotelli or Lambert but I don't believe we should sign him now as he'd be too expensive for what he'll add to the team. Playing Moreno up top is just a stupid idea, one's a defender and ones a forward :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I'm not saying we should sign Bolasie though. Rodgers likes players that can play more than one position, Bolasie fits that bill and could have been better to us this season than Balotelli or Lambert but I don't believe we should sign him now as he'd be too expensive for what he'll add to the team. Playing Moreno up top is just a stupid idea, one's a defender and ones a forward :rolleyes:

Ones a wing back, and the others a winger. Neither are forwards.

I was being facetious with the comparison incidentally - both are equally unsuited to playing up front for us.

<edit> As it happens, over the past 2 seasons, Moreno actually has more goals.

Ones a wing back, and the others a winger. Neither are forwards.

I was being facetious with the comparison incidentally - both are equally unsuited to playing up front for us.

Since when is a winger not a forward? A bit weird that Sterling as done alright up top as he's a winger too. Maybe Moreno will get his chance up front tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Bolasie is a winger not a striker though. He is better winger than Lallana or Markovic imo.

Since when is a winger not a forward? A bit weird that Sterling as done alright up top as he's a winger too. Maybe Moreno will get his chance up front tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Sterling has indeed done quite well playing up front, as a striker. I fail to see your point though. is it that because one winger did well enough playing as a striker, that they will all do well in that role? And incidentally, i want us to bring in someone a hell of a lot more prolific to play up front than sterling - like, perhaps, an actual Striker.

Sterling has done a fine job as a placeholder given the lack of viable options we have up there in fairness. He also has attributes that make him a much better option up there than Balosie does.

I'm not even sure what this discussion is. IMO Balosie is well off the standard required to play in his best position on the wing for us, and certainly shouldn't be let anywhere near a centre forward role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Bolasie seems to me to be like a Wright-Phillips or Aaron Lennon, plenty of pace and a few tricks but really lacking intelligence in the final third. At 25 you couldn't be hoping too much for a huge improvement in that department either, £20m should be laughed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Bolase is not of the standard required if he was pardew would be asking for allot more than 20 million. Lallana is a better player imo, especially considering the style of play we Rodgers wants to implement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Instead of spending £10-15m on Balosie why not put that amount towards the purchase of a player that will make a significant contribution to the starting 11 as opposed to someone who will most likely be another squad player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Shouldn't bother with Bolasie. Markovic for all his struggles this year looks a more intelligent footballer and just as pacy. Would be a good option alright but not at 20m

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Bolasie is a winger not a striker though. He is better winger than Lallana or Markovic imo.

He isnt better than lallana.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Shouldn't bother with Bolasie. Markovic for all his struggles this year looks a more intelligent footballer and just as pacy. Would be a good option alright but not at 20m

He just has to toughen up a bit...next season should see a decent improvement hopefully.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement