Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note in OP 9/4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Shouldn't bother with Bolasie. Markovic for all his struggles this year looks a more intelligent footballer and just as pacy. Would be a good option alright but not at 20m

Markovic, for the most part, has looked terrible! However he's still young so I won't give up hope yet but his performances to date have been woeful at worst, decidedly average at best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

kfallon wrote: »
    Markovic, for the most part, has looked terrible!

He hasn't though, so there's that problem solved.

Gbear wrote: »
    He hasn't though, so there's that problem solved.

Lets have the highlights for the season so! Sunderland apart, I can't think of one good game where he did well for 90 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I've been very disappointed with Markovic as an attacking player I can't see what he offers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

No point buying balosie when you have Ibe, Rodgers just needs to play him and markovic further forward and not at wing back, it's tough to consistently add to the attack when you've to run 60 yards to do it

• Advertisement

Lets have the highlights for the season so! Sunderland apart, I can't think of one good game where he did well for 90 minutes!

And everything is binary on the internet.

Everything is either absolute steaming dog **** or the best thing ever.

He has not been terrible.
    He has not been Lionel ****ing Messi either.

I just don't get people. How many times does the same thing have to happen before you learn?

How many players are absolutely brilliant every season?
    How many of those have just moved clubs?
    How many of those have also moved country?
    How many of those are also only 20 ****ing years old!?
    How many of those did that while only playing a handful of games?
    And how many of those were brilliant with all those factors while the handful of games they played were out of their preferred position?

Christ.

He's done fine. What were you expecting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Probably more than 2 goals and 1 assist in 20 odd games

And everything is binary on the internet.

Everything is either absolute steaming dog **** or the best thing ever.

He has not been terrible.
    He has not been Lionel ****ing Messi either.

I just don't get people. How many times does the same thing have to happen before you learn?

How many players are absolutely brilliant every season?
    How many of those have just moved clubs?
    How many of those have also moved country?
    How many of those are also only 20 ****ing years old!?
    How many of those did that while only playing a handful of games?
    And how many of those were brilliant with all those factors while the handful of games they played were out of their preferred position?

Christ.

Did you even read my post??? I said I haven't given up on him (look at Henderson as an example) as he's young but no way has he justified his fee so far.

What was I expecting? Well a winger who could beat a player and supposedly he was speedy gonzalez but doesn't seem to be showing it for whatever reason.

So take your shítfit elsewhere! And as a matter of interest how many players turn it around to be an unbelievable success? I would say fewer players turn it around than don't.

I hope he has a fantastic season next year but I'm not mystic meg so can only comment on what we've seen so far.

Christ is right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

When did Liverpool decide to sign Bolasie?

Or are people having an internet argument for the sake of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I'd rather the money spent on Berahino, If I was to choose between the two.

• Advertisement

I'd rather neither

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Have you people asking for Bolasie not learned lessons about buying players from midtable teams who have enjoyed a few good matches? Adam, Downing, Carroll..........

Take that 20m+ and put it towards a proper player, our squad doesn't need anymore filler like Bolasie or Berahino.

When did Liverpool decide to sign Bolasie?

Or are people having an internet argument for the sake of it?

We're just commenting on players that are being linked with Liverpool, I dont actually think that any of us would be rushing to get the cheque book out for these lads.

It certainly beats the Sterling contract discussion. Whats it at now £800,000

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭locked 1

Lads what station is match on tomorrow

Than you haven't learned anything from the entire history of transfer business, never mind those concerning players like Markovic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Markovich has excellent vision for a winger, which is very unusual (Sterling has it too). He has played lots of extremely deft passes in the final third that have almost turned into goals. Almost. He has a lot of improving to do, but he has hardly disgraced himself this season, and he did a good job for us at wing-back when called upon.

I for one am quite excited to go into next season with Ibe and Markovic as our two impact wingers from the bench/cover when needed. Both are quite raw but have a lot of potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

How many of those games were at RWB? How many goals and assists do you generally get from someone in that position.
    Then how many of those games were from the bench?

locked 1 wrote: »
    Lads what station is match on tomorrow

BT

Anyone writing off Markovic based on this season, just like those doing similar with Moreno are showing themselves to be absolutely clueless.

Did you even read my post??? I said I haven't given up on him (look at Henderson as an example) as he's young but no way has he justified his fee so far.

What was I expecting? Well a winger who could beat a player and supposedly he was speedy gonzalez but doesn't seem to be showing it for whatever reason.

So take your shítfit elsewhere! And as a matter of interest how many players turn it around to be an unbelievable success? I would say fewer players turn it around than don't.

I hope he has a fantastic season next year but I'm not mystic meg so can only comment on what we've seen so far.

Christ is right

That you haven't given up on him is correct, but like with Henderson in his first couple of seasons with us, people's opinions of him don't reflect his actual performances and certainly don't take into account all the difficulties a player like him faces - the price tag, the limited playing time, being played out of position/in a role that doesn't suit him, the jump in standards, both physical and technical, the new environment, etc.

Knee jerkism is a pain in the hole and you're not writing him off so I've no qualms with that, but the silly expectations put on players as soon as they set foot on the pitch for the first time often drive that knee-jerking.

He hasn't had much impact, sure, but given his situation, that's neither surprising nor particularly concerning.
    He hasn't displayed a lack of competence, professionalism, athleticism, intelligence or other intrinsic and possibly unfixable problems that some players we've signed have - your Joe Coles, Charlie Adams or Christian Poulsens of this world. Those are what genuine contenders for "terrible" look like.

When people at the club say things like "we've signed him for 5 years, not just one" it's not an empty platitude.
    They're not saying "maybe some years he won't be sh*t", like that's how players perform - alternating good and bad years, irrespective of other factors.

What it really means is that there's a cost of signing players in bedding in time, development of their game from a physical and technical standpoint, finding their best position, finding the players that work the best with them and other factors.
    Some players are so adaptable or so earth-shatteringly brilliant, or the squad they're joining is perfectly suited them or has the quality to help them find their feet, that they hit the ground running. That's not the benchmark signings need to be measured against though - that's the best case scenario.

Even Suarez took 18 months to truly find his feet. While obviously he was better from the get-go, he was both a better player and much further along in his development, not to mention having the sort of inhuman tenacity that makes him generally brilliant at football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I'd rather the money spent on Berahino, If I was to choose between the two.

With Berahino who also threw a strop earlier in the season looking to force a move and get a pay rise mirroring what is happening now with Sterling I doubt Liverpool would want two players at the club with that same agent the hassle that agent would bring every couple of months.

The agent has shown that it's about money not football with these two players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

We need to bring in at least 2 strikers. Berahino and Ings would be decent players. We have to be realistic.
    Borini and Lambert will probably move on in the summer. Balotelli has been the disaster we expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Id prefer Ings to Berahino. Been impressed with Ings recently. Has a better all round game than Berahino

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Ings and Austin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm realistic as to what we can do in the market.
    For our strike force next season I'd be happy with one very good international striker in the £20m to £30m bracket, sturridge, ings, origi and Sinclair. That would be head and shoulders above what we have this season.

He hasn't shown much at united but if it was a good deal I'd take a punt on falcao.

Ings and Austin.

Carroll and Ricketts.

rob316 wrote: »
    He hasn't shown much at united but if it was a good deal I'd take a punt on falcao.

A 29 (or 31, depending on who you believe) year old player who's had a bad season and who will want a huge contract neither makes any sense nor is it in keeping with the way we do business.

Particularly with the relative weakness of the €, there's a bucket of good quality forwards/goalscoring wingers that we have a reasonable chance of signing for £30m (currently €41.5m) or less.

We could even easily get two decent forwards in current quality or potential if one of them is on the cheap or a freebie like Konoplyanka, Ings or whoever.

Showing ambition and getting a couple of good quality forwards this summer should be too easy for us to able to **** up. It should barely even take any effort. It would blow my mind if we can't score this giant open goal of a transfer window.

We can't control what our rivals do but if we don't significantly improve our attack with all this TV money, a fairly settled top-4 challenging side in the most attractive league in the world, a cornucopia of talent available across the continent, very little room in the squad to waste on money on players we don't need, the strength of the £, then everyone, from Rodgers to the tea ladies, need to get sacked. And probably shot.

Falcao on big enough wages and a high enough transfer fee at nearly 30 years of age.

or

Just pay the right price & wages for a 23 year old Lacazette who is a proven goal scorer who fits into the clubs style of play.

I know which one I would want.

Falcao on big enough wages and a high enough transfer fee at nearly 30 years of age.

or

Just pay the right price & wages for a 23 year old Lacazette who is a proven goal scorer who fits into the clubs style of play.

He's gone beyond Liverpool now unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

I do not want Falcao near my club. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

or

We won't be getting lacazette not a chance. He will have plenty more attractive suitors regardless if we are willing to pay.

I said if we could get a good deal for falcao it would be worth a punt. He still has more goals this season than any of our strikers.

I haven't got much hope in the club bringing in players of CL quality. We couldn't attract that calibre last summer with CL football and More than likely we'll finish outside the top four come end of may.

Some very iconic jerseys numbers to be filled, just looking at the squad numbers and with Gerrard and possibly lambert moving on, that leaves 7, 8, 9 and 11 idle. Throw in jones, Johnson, kolo and enrique along with Aggers shirt.

So that might be only loveren and Coutinho with traditional squad numbers.

Lacazette, Musa, Alcacer, Martial, Icardi, Morata & Milik are all young hungry forwards I would look at before I would go for someone like Falcao.

Now saying that Falcao doesn't seem to like to play for CL teams so we will probably end up with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Who said the Saints were going away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

That you haven't given up on him is correct, but like with Henderson in his first couple of seasons with us, people's opinions of him don't reflect his actual performances and certainly don't take into account all the difficulties a player like him faces - the price tag, the limited playing time, being played out of position/in a role that doesn't suit him, the jump in standards, both physical and technical, the new environment, etc.

Knee jerkism is a pain in the hole and you're not writing him off so I've no qualms with that, but the silly expectations put on players as soon as they set foot on the pitch for the first time often drive that knee-jerking.

He hasn't had much impact, sure, but given his situation, that's neither surprising nor particularly concerning.
    He hasn't displayed a lack of competence, professionalism, athleticism, intelligence or other intrinsic and possibly unfixable problems that some players we've signed have - your Joe Coles, Charlie Adams or Christian Poulsens of this world. Those are what genuine contenders for "terrible" look like.

When people at the club say things like "we've signed him for 5 years, not just one" it's not an empty platitude.
    They're not saying "maybe some years he won't be sh*t", like that's how players perform - alternating good and bad years, irrespective of other factors.

What it really means is that there's a cost of signing players in bedding in time, development of their game from a physical and technical standpoint, finding their best position, finding the players that work the best with them and other factors.
    Some players are so adaptable or so earth-shatteringly brilliant, or the squad they're joining is perfectly suited them or has the quality to help them find their feet, that they hit the ground running. That's not the benchmark signings need to be measured against though - that's the best case scenario.

Even Suarez took 18 months to truly find his feet. While obviously he was better from the get-go, he was both a better player and much further along in his development, not to mention having the sort of inhuman tenacity that makes him generally brilliant at football.

So you've written him off then?

• Advertisement

Montroseee wrote: »

The more they stay in this the better. Hopefully they will still be in the race for 4th when they play City that will give us a chance if we are also still in with a chance at 4th.

If we can't catch 4th is much rather Southampton get 4th over City.

City could have big FFP problems not having CL football next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Do you know what really ****s me off. Its the why dont we buy ... This is a football team which we love.

I first watched Bob Paisley in Oriel park. That was the best moment of my life. Argue all you want ... but mostly shut up

Shut up

I'm watching palace v w brom, I don't remember a single touch by Berahino. ;)Bolassie had two shots that I remember, one was a decent overhead but was denied by a good save.

W brom 2 nil up even though palace have all the possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Montroseee wrote: »

Charlie adam says so

mosstin wrote: »
    So you've written him off then?

Nope. No idea how you got that.
    He's gone beyond Liverpool now unfortunately.

Maybe.

He's not the only talent though.

Someone of very high calibre under the age of 25 will be left over after the merry-go-round stops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Nope. No idea how you got that.

Maybe.

He's not the only talent though.

Someone of very high calibre under the age of 25 will be left over after the merry-go-round stops.

Eh, jesting. :(

We love Stokeball!

mosstin wrote: »
    Eh, jesting. :(

:o

I'll take Balotelli staying rather than bringing in Falcao.

Who the hell suggested Falcao!? :mad:

I'll take Balotelli staying rather than bringing in Falcao.

I know what you're saying but I'd choose Falcao, Balotelli hasn't worked and it's not looking like it will. I'd take the change, just for experimental reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Anyone writing off Markovic based on this season, just like those doing similar with Moreno are showing themselves to be absolutely clueless.

Or realists. Both are garbage and won't be at the club for long, especially (and hopefully) if a new manager comes in.

I know what you're saying but I'd choose Falcao, Balotelli hasn't worked and it's not looking like it will. I'd take the change, just for experimental reasons.

An expensive experiment.

I'd take Falcao over being tortured to death but hopefully such a constraint won't be placed on our transfer committee.

We experimented with Balotelli and it didn't work that's enough experimenting for me.

I wouldn't touch Falcao now.

Funny how people who presumably have eyes in their head actually think mediocre sometimes terrible players would be a good buy. How much would anyone realistically spend on a busted flush like Falcoa even if his wages were acceptable? 15m? 20m? 25m? 30m?

Madness.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement