Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note in OP 9/4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

On the positive side we still have the best player in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

All this nonsense about Rodgers not being able to get the players up for big games. Are the players absolute ****ing idiots who don't realise how big the games are themselves? They are being made out to be a bunch of 7 year old kids who don't know what they do for a living.

It's not Rodgers fault that Gerrard let Delph run off him for the 2nd goal, it's not Rodgers fault that the defence couldn't handle Benteke, it's not Rodgers fault that Villa completely dominated midfield. Blaming him is the easy way out being taken by idiots.

I've defended Rodgers all season but he deserve heavy criticism for that. He kept Gerrard on the pitch to the detriment of the team.

Anyway I hope that this is the wake up call for fsg that their transfer policy is an abysmal failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Turtyturd wrote: »

Lovren?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

B17G wrote: »
    Yip. City winning earlier & Spurs drawing at the moment. The race for 5th is what we deserve at this moment in time.

Don't check the Spurs score again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

When it gets to the stage where people are criticising the performance of nearly every player, it has to fall on the manager.

Considering he was the one who signed most of those players, he has to be blamed for their poor performances, not just today, but for most of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

and villa do?

Of course they do.

They have a defence, a midfield and an attack.

We started with 10 men and no striker.

What a ludicrous handicap to give yourself in an FA cup semi final.

Sometimes a simple man like Sherwood can do the simple thing right and Rodgers, trying to be the cleverest manager ever ever, cocks it up.

Benitez was a similar sort of tinkerer - it's a trait that can lead to some incredible performances and tactical masterclasses, but sometimes they can't see the wood for the trees.

I think there's an element of that to our recruitment and an element of that to how we've lined up this season.

Don't just do something boring, like sign someone decent but overpriced like Berahino or Benteke - do something mental which has a massive potential payoff like sign Balotelli.
    Similarly, we've tried to reinvent the wheels at times this season with how we've lined up - AMs at WB, no strikers, a midfielder at CB.

These decisions can work out - Can has actually done quite well and we went on a nice little run off the back of a novel choice of tactics.
    But sometimes it backfires.
    Like today, when we faced a hard working side playing bog-standard football and an excess of dicking around with the tactics has put us ad a disadvantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Lovren?
    :rolleyes: Markovic, obviously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

mosstin wrote: »
    It pretty much was today actually - not two but three tactical changes, none of which worked. Players playing out of position, nothing up front. I'd say he needs to take this one on the chin himself and not bemoan individual performances.

What I meant was you can't blame the manager for player ineptitude. Allen, Henderson and Gerrard should have been enough to handle Grealish and Delph, you cannot blame the manager for their awful performances. Allen played well and should be very annoyed to be hooked instead of Captain Fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

All this nonsense about Rodgers not being able to get the players up for big games. Are the players absolute ****ing idiots who don't realise how big the games are themselves? They are being made out to be a bunch of 7 year old kids who don't know what they do for a living.

It's not Rodgers fault that Gerrard let Delph run off him for the 2nd goal, it's not Rodgers fault that the defence couldn't handle Benteke, it's not Rodgers fault that Villa completely dominated midfield. Blaming him is the easy way out being taken by idiots.

Yeah none of that has anything to do with the manager who picks, buys, motivates and sets the team up. Do you live in the twilight zone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

He truly is a little magician. The way he disappeared after scoring his goal was phenomenal!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

MD1990 wrote: »
    Balotelli was our best attacker today. Should just give him a run of games now.

I think that this is a good point. Very little left to really play for now and seeing whether Mario can produce good form with a string of games would be a worthwhile experiment given we will likely have to decide what to do with him this summer.

I still think that he has something to offer us - maybe it is more bling hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

He truly is a little magician. The way he disappeared after scoring his goal was phenomenal!!

I think you'll find that was the prolific Own Goal credited with the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

Cant believe Rodgers went back to everything that was bad about us at the start of season with Gerrard as DM and the Lovren Skrtel combo, too many formation changes and just a general lack of character. Neither captain or our soon to be captain inspired much. What a mess of a game. Sickened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

It's as if some people would rather get rid of the whole squad over getting rid of the manager.

Yeah none of that has anything to do with the manager who picks, buys, motivates and sets the team up. Do you live in the twilight zone?

So you do think they are children who need to be motivated to play well in an FA Cup semi final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

What I meant was you can't blame the manager for player ineptitude. Allen, Henderson and Gerrard should have been enough to handle Grealish and Delph, you cannot blame the manager for their awful performances. Allen played well and should be very annoyed to be hooked instead of Captain Fantastic.

Ineptitude or complete confusion? We didn't look like we knew where we should be positionally today. Everyone was sub-par, every single one of them. Gerrard going off was a no-brainer but he shouldn't have started in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Is a long season catching up with the players. Europa league, league cup and FA cup. That's a lot of games. Team looks ****ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

CC96J9RUIAAse-N.jpg:large

Gbear you have gone from me reading your post thinking they were fairly balanced, rational and grounded to absolute looney bin stuff. Now its conspiracy theory stuff about Gerrard despite Rodgers knowing he is leaving next season he still picks him because of his stature, wtf. How far are you willing to bend things to always defend Rodgers? Is Johnson's profile also the reason Rodgers keeps picking him.

I'm puzzled about how you're calling a post where I essentially branded Rodgers a coward to be defending him.

I didn't realise we "kept" picking Johnson. He's our only attacking full back and he's still started fewer than 20 games this season.

Gerrard has pretty much started whenever fit and not suspended, despite being at best completely anonymous bar maybe 1 or 2 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I think he has till Christmas next year max. If it looked like we weren't getting CL, he'd be gone.

Wouldn't be surprised if FSG pull the trigger before the summer though. This season has been an absolute shocker.

I'd be shocked if they sack him this summer.

If the owners are expecting the team to overhaul City/Utd/Chelsea/Arsenal with the transfer policy they are driving then someone needs to give them a shake. BR is not blameless but he has a transfer committee that the owners have brought in. If that is still there with a new manager then forget winning anything for the foreseeable future.

As far as the season goes.
    If we finish 5th. Disappointing but based on where our squad is then its par.
    2 cup semi's. Disappointing not to make the FA cup final considering the opposition but its good to see us competing.
    Europe was a disaster.

BR deserves another season, or Christmas if we are again well off 4th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

ManOnFire wrote: »
    Cant believe Rodgers went back to everything that was bad about us at the start of season with Gerrard as DM and the Lovren Skrtel combo, too many formation changes and just a general lack of character. Neither captain or our soon to be captain inspired much. What a mess of a game. Sickened.

Exactly. Everything that was bad about our form til mid December was encapsulated in today's game. Headwreck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

NukaCola wrote: »
    or Christmas if we are again well off 4th.

Where were Liverpool at Xmas this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

:rolleyes: Markovic, obviously.

Markovic has been poor but he's been made a scapegoat. He's a young player with talent who has 1) been played in a position alien to him and 2) been shafted by the manager at every opportunity.

So you do think they are children who need to be motivated to play well in an FA Cup semi final?

You only need to look at the difference in Villa since they have a manager who dispite his faults has strengths in motivating a team. Rodgers was lucky in that he had a player in Suarez last season who did that for him last season. Motivation is about more than being up for a semi final. It is about a manager inspiring confidence in team mates, system, in him and in the team around you to create a hunger and desire to give everything for each other. Clearly that was lacking today. The lack of urgency when we went down 2-1 was frightening to watch.

If the owners wait until Christmas to see how Rodgers is doing then it's another season wasted. Either sack him at the end of this campaign or back him all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Burnley away on Stephens day

You only need to look at the difference in Villa since they have a manager who dispite his faults has strengths in motivating a team. Rodgers was lucky in that he had a player in Suarez last season who did that for him last season. Motivation is about more than being up for a semi final. It is about a manager inspiring confidence in team mates, system, in him and in the team around you to create a hunger and desire to give everything for each other. Clearly that was lacking today. The lack of urgency when we went down 2-1 was frightening to watch.

Sure we'll just bring Suarez back as a manager, he's obviously the sole reason for the performances last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    I'll bow out of this thread for a while. People calling for the managers head can only be discribed as idiots. We did the same thing with Rafa, fans turning on him because of some ludicrous sense of entitlement and not realising than in general the manager is over performing.

Those who want him gone will be very disappointed in the summer.
    I'm not calling for his head but I'm starting to think he's lost the players. As I said I can accept getting beat but it looked to me that most of them couldn't give a fcuk out there. In a semi final. And it's not the first time it's looked like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,547 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why do the same posters come I here after every defeat questioning the manager's future?
    He has shown we have a good manager last season. Need to get behind him as does the club in letting him make the right signings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Even this interview is flat.. going on and on about how Villa were better but no answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I very much doubt Rodgers will be sacked this summer, or Klopp coming in if he did.

This season is on par If not worse than how bad we did in 10/11

Well off 4th which is why i said "again".....we had 22 points from 17 games.
    9 points off WH in 4th at the time and 17 points off Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Jon Stark wrote: »
    I'm not calling for his head but I'm starting to think he's lost the players. As I said I can accept getting beat but it looked to me that most of them couldn't give a fcuk out there. In a semi final. And it's not the first time it's looked like that.

I love the man but Gerrard is septic to this team. No one steps up for the team when he is around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Even this interview is flat.. going on and on about how Villa were better but no answers

Could this be the writing on the wall for him. Doesn't sound too good at all.

It's as if some people would rather get rid of the whole squad over getting rid of the manager.

Or, both ideas are retarded so we shouldn't do them.

That there are gaps in the squad doesn't mean the rest of it is fit for the bin.

Neither does a par performance in the league, nor a bad performance in a cup game mean the manager needs to be sacked.

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »
    I love the man but Gerrard is septic to this team. No one steps up for the team when he is around.

You just have to look at Henderson when he is in the team beside Gerrard, a completely different player. The sooner he's gone the better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Lovren, Moreno, Markovic and Balotelli cost about 70 million, for that alone someone needs to be fired - not a bit of fight or character in the four of them

apart from the hopeless signings our only other problem is losing almost every key match we play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

I think klopp being available on a free (well think dortmund will be due compensation i heard but anyways..) will make fsg reevaluate things sooner this season. Are they happy to give rodgers more money? I cant imagine they will want to be giving him much money when they look at the list of players hes brought in, certainly wont be attracting any big names this summer either, think the possibility of klopp coming in will appeal to em big time.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why do the same posters come I here after every defeat questioning the manager's future?
    He has shown we have a good manager last season. Need to get behind him as does the club in letting him make the right signings.

Last season when we had one of the most in-form strikers in the world??

Gbear wrote: »
    I'm puzzled about how you're calling a post where I essentially branded Rodgers a coward to be defending him.

I didn't realise we "kept" picking Johnson. He's our only attacking full back and he's still started fewer than 20 games this season.

Gerrard has pretty much started whenever fit and not suspended, despite being at best completely anonymous bar maybe 1 or 2 games.

Johnson has been injured for large parts of the season. I would hazard a guess that he has started well over 80% of games in which he has been fit. Even when he was stinking the place out week after week he only came out of the team earlier in the season when injured and it was forced on Rodgers. At least in my eyes Gerrard still cares, he just doesn't have the ability or football attributes any longer. ****ing Glen Johnson hasnt cared about playing for this club for a couple of seasons and it is a disgrace that he still getting a game here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

noodler wrote: »
    Don't check the Spurs score again...

Probably an error to call it a race anyway, since 6th & 7th will get you EL football due to Chelsea & Arsenal getting CL football next season.

donfers wrote: »
    Lovren, Moreno, Markovic and Balotelli cost about 70 million, for that alone someone needs to be fired - not a bit of fight or character in the four of them

apart from the hopeless signings our only other problem is losing almost every key match we play

Moreno and Markovic? Thats it for them then ya, one season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Is anyone buying the 'we'?

Are people being serious with Klopp coming in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Two.
    If you take 2 top preforming strikers and an in form gerrard out of any team they will struggle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Stop been so petulant everyone uses that term in here.

Klopp is most likely off to City, would be a change to see the owners actually go for a big name for once though.

It's not for sale

If the owners wait until Christmas to see how Rodgers is doing then it's another season wasted. Either sack him at the end of this campaign or back him all the way.

If we don't back him in the summer transfer market it will be pointless as we need goal scorers. Are they going to give him the kind of money needed to bring in that quality?

Sterling has looked overpaid at 35k for the last few weeks. Head isn't in the games at all.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement