Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note in OP 9/4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Sorry but you're talking ****.
    Avb is good enough to manage Liverpool because he finished 5th while Rodgers isn't good enough because he finished 2nd and now looks like finishing 5th. You appear to be full of **** or a very confused little boy.

Where did i say he was good enough to manage Liverpool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Yup, Its all my fault.

Really

In fairness pal you shouldn't leave yourself open to a bite back. Cheap shots are only worth it when there's no chance of recourse. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I thought you were gone to stick your head in the sand for a while.

I was but someone was wrong on the internet so I had to come back and tell them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I honestly think it would be one of the greatest sporting moments I ever witness, to see Rafa coming home.

Not to jump on your post but, what is it with LFC and the past........Rfa had his time, it was great, lets leave it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

5starpool wrote: »
    The worst thing is almost that there is no real reason to be optimistic for next season at all.

+1 unfortunately. Made a bet back in 1998 with a mate (Utd fan) that Liverpool would never go 26 years without winning the league. There's no doubt i'll have to cough up the readies (50 punts - adjust for euros) to him this time next year.....:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Pellegrini
    Benitez
    Klopp
    Ancelotti

Are all likely to be available. Let Rodgers go and he adds to the mix. There may be clubs ahead of us, but with so much flux there's never going to be a better time to secure an upgrade.

Benitez still makes the most sense in my mind, however unpopular an opinion that might be. I'll admit to some tingles watching Napoli deconstruct Wolfsburg on Thursday night.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Pellegrini
    Benitez
    Klopp
    Ancelotti

Are all likely to be available. Let Rodgers go and he adds to the mix. There may be clubs ahead of us, but with so much flux there's never going to be a better time to secure an upgrade.

Benitez still makes the most sense in my mind, however unpopular an opinion that might be. I'll admit to some tingles watching Napoli deconstruct Wolfsburg on Thursday night.

What about De Boer?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Team with fifth largest transfer/salary budget in 'likely to come fifth' shocker..

Anything can happen in a one off cup match like today, over the course of the season we are where we deserve to be based on money spent. Some years we will end up slightly higher, some years slightly lower but it is essentially impossible to win the PL without being one of the top 2/3 largest spenders. We can keep changing the manager again and again but that fact is not going to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Trilla wrote: »
    Least his team played well this weekend. You almost asked for that result today posting LVG's post match interview in this thread for the Lolz

That oul voodoo tinternet job

Yea that's how it works mate.

• Advertisement

Where did i say he was good enough to manage Liverpool?

Didn't think i would get a reply to this question. This is what i actually said, Spurs finished on 72 points under him and missed out on 4th to Arsenal by 1 point. He wouldn't be my pick but he would do a better job than Rodgers. it's funny how you are gone quiet all of a sudden, must be nap time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Jon Stark wrote: »
    In fairness pal you shouldn't leave yourself open to a bite back. Cheap shots are only worth it when there's no chance of recourse. :pac:

Its a rivalry, thats how things work. How is it a cheap shot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Pellegrini
    Benitez
    Klopp
    Ancelotti

You forgot the great Sam Allardici.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Didn't think i would get a reply to this question. This is what i actually said, Spurs finished on 72 points under him and missed out on 4th to Arsenal by 1 point. He wouldn't be my pick but he would do a better job than Rodgers. it's funny how you are gone all quiet all of a sudden.

hes busy in the United thread. But apparently we are obsessed with Liverpool?

Team with fifth largest transfer/salary budget in 'likely to come fifth' shocker..

Anything can happen in a one off cup match like today, over the course of the season we are where we deserve to be based on money spent. Some years we will end up slightly higher, some years slightly lower but it is essentially impossible to win the PL without being one of the top 2/3 largest spenders. We can keep changing the manager again and again but that fact is not going to change.

I'm sorry, but when investment is not all it should be it makes:

Lovren 20m
    Markovic 20m
    Lallana 25m

All the more problematic.

Allen
    Assaidi
    Aspas
    Alberto
    Borini
    Moreno
    Lovren
    Markovic
    Lallana
    Balotelli
    Lambert

Is a very high failure rate. Maybe some of the above do come good, but despite resources being made available last summer and the club having momentum and CL football the manager failed to put together a side that could meet the challenges faced.

Rodgers has not demonstrated an ability to surmount the transfer policy limitations. Coutinho and Sturridge are the big successes, and the suggestion that Rodgers did not want the latter is certainly interesting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Didn't think i would get a reply to this question. This is what i actually said, Spurs finished on 72 points under him and missed out on 4th to Arsenal by 1 point. He wouldn't be my pick but he would do a better job than Rodgers. it's funny how you are gone quiet all of a sudden, must be nap time.

You said he would do a better job than Rodgers based on the fact he finished 5th. Rodgers finished 2nd. How the hell do you need this explained any further?

• Advertisement

I'm sorry, but when investment is not all it should be it makes:

Lovren 20m
    Markovic 20m
    Lallana 25m

All the more problematic.

Allen
    Assaidi
    Aspas
    Alberto
    Borini
    Moreno
    Lovren
    Markovic
    Lallana
    Balotelli
    Lambert

Is a very high failure rate. Maybe some of the above do come good, but despite resources being made available last summer and the club having momentum and CL football the manager failed to put together a side that could meet the challenges faced.

Rodgers has not demonstrated an ability to surmount the transfer policy limitations. Coutinho and Sturridge are the big successes, and the suggestion that Rodgers did not want the latter is certainly interesting.

Has it ever, once, occurred to you that these players you fail to name that Rodgers should have signed didn't want to join the club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Football 1 - 0 Gerard

hes busy in the United thread. But apparently we are obsessed with Liverpool?

The irony, oh lord the irony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

NukaCola wrote: »
    Not to jump on your post but, what is it with LFC and the past........Rfa had his time, it was great, lets leave it there.

This isn't some Kenny sentimental appointment. Rafa is an elite modern coach. Do you think City are living in the past if they appoint him? I think he is the best manager we could realistically attract this summer, plain and simple. If only we could have seen that at the time Rodgers was appointed we wouldn't be in this mess.

Has it ever, once, occurred to you that these players you fail to name that Rodgers should have signed didn't want to join the club?

Doesn't matter how many preferred choices turned you down before - it simply is dreadful business to sign someone like Adam Lallana for £25m.

• Advertisement

Doesn't matter how many preferred choices turned you down before - it simply is dreadful business to sign someone like Adam Lallana for £25m.

So you'd rather nobody was signed then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

The irony, oh lord the irony.

I'm aware but can explain logically. After you steam rollered into the United thread yet claimed to be here posting I decided to visit this thread. As the post from Tipsy indicated you had gone MIA from the Liverpool thread when tables turned against you and thats what led you to the United thread. Not interested in Liverpool interested in you and the "coincidence" that led you to United thread. I'm glad you found your way home! Have fun bbz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ah I went out at half time to visit the sister and family. Saw the result (no BT Sport down there) and knew the place would be in flames when I got back. So then, who's winning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Ah I went out at half time to visit the sister and family. Saw the result (no BT Sport down there) and knew the place would be in flames when I got back. So then, who's winning?

Bring back Rafa is starting a late push.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Had Villa Boas spent over £100m the summer before Spurs finished 5th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The big question for me is, if he stays can Rodgers get Liverpool into the Champions League next season? On the evidence of this season I seriously doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mylefttesticle

If you cant beat a **** poor Villa side in arguably the biggest game of the season then you deserve to go.

Stop all the nonsense and bring Rafa back, the club is made for him and vice versa.

I would have liked for it to work out for BR but it hasn't and it wont. Only a fool is optimistic at this stage that we will get back into the top four under his management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Lallana was worth ~ 20 million based on the market. The problem was, we didnt really need another player with those skills.

It's very easy to criticise a guy and their value after a stop start season. For example Di maria looked a steel when utd signed him.

You said he would do a better job than Rodgers based on the fact he finished 5th. Rodgers finished 2nd. How the hell do you need this explained any further?

You must have missed the bit where I said he wouldn't be my pick as manager.

You must have missed the bit where I said he wouldn't be my pick as manager.

But he would do better than our current manager because he finished 5th in the league? Bolloxology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

D'ont think that winning the Cup would have saved our season anyway. Nothing at the end of it. Would'nt have beaten the Gunners either. Plus we were lucky to get through most of the rounds.

No team is going to win anything without proper strikers. Sturridge is a beaten docket, c'ant rely on him.

I need to lie down. Again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Turtyturd wrote: »

Jesus please no.

Klopp to City is done. So we can knock that thought on the head.

Do you think City are living in the past if they appoint him?

What? Is that a thing?

Anyway. I have a lot of respect for Rafa and I wouldn't be against his return were it to happen. I'm just not going to pine after him when there is no way the owners will hire him and the current manager is still stable in a job.

Turtyturd wrote: »

It seems a fairly small minority that want him back like it was who wanted him to stay. I'm quite comfortable with being part of that small minority. I certainly know which side deserves to be ridiculed but as with most things on the internet the charge towards idiotasy is in unabated by things like learning from the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

https://twitter.com/SkySportsAmy/status/588342572696895488

If we want Klopp in the summer I think we have got a very good chance to get him.

What? Is that a thing?

Anyway. I have a lot of respect for Rafa and I wouldn't be against his return were it to happen. I'm just not going to pine after him when there is no way the owners will hire him and the current manager is still stable in a job.

Well when you said living in the past I thought you meant harping back to days when Rafa was a coach deserving of the job. This isn't some sympathy thing based on his Liverpool days. Saying an appointment of Rafa is living in the past doesn't make much sense outside of this context. I just think he is the best coach we can employ this summer.

I certainly know which side deserves to be ridiculed but as with most things on the internet the charge towards idiotasy is in unabated by things like learning from the past.

Couldn't put it better myself :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Not at lot can be said was a shameful embarrassing performance from players and manager alike
    Disgusted I am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Terrible result today but I think the frustrating thing is how bad we were before christmas. We got ourselves to a point where we couldn't afford to lose any games and then when we have lost it has been labelled a disaster, but realistically the disaster was getting to that point in the first place. I'd give Rodgers one more year, he has got us playing the best football I've ever seen Liverpool play, has brought through a few younger players and last season was the closest we have come to winning the league in a long time, but his record in the transfer market is shocking, that would be my biggest negative against him.

I'm not sure whether it's the manager. the transfer committee or the owners but I have no faith in Liverpool to get things right in the transfer market. We're not going to attract any world class stars, and we seem to over pay for average players for than most clubs. I'd be worried that players like Lacazette and Pjanic are above us now, I've a feeling they will get more attractive options than Liverpool if they are to leave their respective clubs.

If Rodgers were to go I definitely couldn't see Klopp come in, he will have much better options on the table. Pellegrini is an interesting one really, would have thought he wouldn't come here but if he gets sacked from City I can't see many other top clubs going for him this summer anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mylefttesticle

What? Is that a thing?

There is no stability In these jobs. We need a manager to get us into the top four and build from there. Once everyone see's progress then everyone is happy. There has been progress and regress far too much the last three seasons and that wont change when you have a manager with no clear idea of how to play on a consistent level, Chelsea is the benchmark they can play beautiful football and the most dour football but what doesn't change is their ability to defend and gather points. Defence has always been atrocious and that has not changed just last year we had a superb attacking ability so we got away with it, not so much this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

It seems a fairly small minority that want him back like it was who wanted him to stay. I'm quite comfortable with being part of that small minority. I certainly know which side deserves to be ridiculed but as with most things on the internet the charge towards idiotasy is in unabated by things like learning from the past.

I have no issue with people wanting him back. Certain people just employ a high level of revisionism where he's concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The greatest hindrance to an discussion about club and manager is the utter lack of objectivity and the running riot of emotion (which is the fans stock in trade it must be said). By pretty much every metric Liverpool are about where they should be in the scheme of things. A likely EL position and a couple of decent cup runs. Clearly one can pick and choose facets of the season to highlight and not without good reason - we all see the failure to sign adequate cover for Sturridge has cost dearly. But on wages, in overall spend, in evolution and development Liverpool are behind the current top four and that's a fact that is not going to change short of someone above Liverpool having a pretty serious meltdown.

So if you want to bin the manager for "underachieving" you better pick someone who will immediately "overachieve" and put Liverpool firmly in the Top 4 at his first go while working within that blueprint which the owners are presumably not about to change.

As a someone who has broadly backed Rodgers since his arrival I'd not have a huge problem with him being replaced if it was by someone a clear step above the clubs own status but interested in the job and that list is very short (esp as FSG will not be phoning Rafa Benitez as much as some would like that) - right now its got one name on it and you know who that is. No one else who we would really want is available.

Beyond him you'd be taking a punt.

Defence has always been atrocious and that has not changed just last year we had a superb attacking ability so we got away with it, not so much this year.

Thats the perception but we've only conceded 11 goals since Christmas.

As i said, I can accept the criticisms of BR and understand why people are unhappy. Its the modern game, some are expecting BR to be great in a short space of time and have long term success. Its just not that simple.

The next guy may not come in, sort us out in 3 seasons and be a long term success. What will we do then. Repeat until we get someone who can?

Are we absolutely sure BR cant be a success? I'm not sure. I'd give him next season at least.

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/SkySportsAmy/status/588342572696895488

If we want Klopp in the summer I think we have got a very good chance to get him.

Are you taking the word of Amy Lewis, whoever she is over me m8?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Between ourselves, my Uncle is part of the staff at Anfield which makes him a bit of an ITK. I can't say what he does for obvious reasons but he was at the game today in the company of some of the higher ups at the club and let's just say that when Liverpool scored they were happy. When Liverpool then conceeded two goals and lost the game, they were upset.

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Between ourselves, my Uncle is part of the staff at Anfield which makes him a bit of an ITK. I can't say what he does for obvious reasons but he was at the game today in the company of some of the higher ups at the club and let's just say that when Liverpool scored they were happy. When Liverpool then conceeded two goals and lost the game, they were upset.

You shouldn't be spilling such sensitive information!

Any watching Suso, how is he getting on?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

You shouldn't be spilling such sensitive information!

I know, but I'm at the stage where I could not give a fcuk.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement