Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note in OP 9/4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Rodgers has lost the dressing room. The players neither fear or respect him and they certainly don't give their all for him, time to go.

Pure speculation, and I don't buy it. Its been a long hard season, the players look fresh out of ideas as does Rodgers.

Now that Ive clamed down after yesterday.

Regarding Rodgers future, I actually reckon he could be sacked after yesterday. After the money that was spent regardless of how badly it was spent, FSG would have expected at the very minimum CL qualification.

I hope that doesn't happen though and FSG accept that their transfer policy is flawed and needs to be changed.
    The constant reducing of the wage bill is hurting the short term and long term future of this club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

rob316 wrote: »
    After the money that was spent regardless of how badly it was spent, FSG would have expected at the very minimum CL qualification.

Well they shouldn't have expected CL qualification if they are insisting we spend high transfer fees but low wage for average players and players that may be good in a few seasons.

How we spend money is a huge issue. Its farcical how much has been wasted and its been driven by the owners. They appointed a manager and a transfer committee to oversee this style of recruitment and its a disaster.

Its not working. So they need to change it. Getting a new manager to oversee the same process wont work IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

NukaCola wrote: »
    Its not working. So they need to change it. Getting a new manager to oversee the same process wont work IMO.
    What if a new manager could attract a better calibre player for the same or less money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

You just made all that up though.....

Sterling's antics the last few weeks, Gerrard leaving, Rodgers having a go at Toure and senior players having a go at Rodgers for doing so, his treatment of Borini and Sakho leaving the ground earlier in the season all ad up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Liverpool either need a World Class Manager or World Class Players for next season

I think if I was a LFC fan I would go for World Class Manager first

Spend Big on the Manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Sterling acting the clown is an example of 'The Rodgers' losing the dressing room?

Captain Fantastic riding off into the sunset because he refuses to accept he is past it and should be nothing more than a bit part player is a sign 'The Rodgers'has lost the dressing room?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Liverpool either need a World Class Manager or World Class Players for next season

I think if I was a LFC fan I would go for World Class Manager first

Spend Big on the Manager

This is the nail on the head.

As another poster alluded to, and like our transfer policy, we signed Rodgers too early in his career. He may well go on to be trophy winning manager but he should have made his mistakes at another club before we signed him.

Experience, on the pitch or experience in the dugout. We need to have one and we don't have either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

rob316 wrote: »
    Pure speculation, and I don't buy it. Its been a long hard season, the players look fresh out of ideas as does Rodgers.

Now that Ive clamed down after yesterday.

Regarding Rodgers future, I actually reckon he could be sacked after yesterday. After the money that was spent regardless of how badly it was spent, FSG would have expected at the very minimum CL qualification.

I hope that doesn't happen though and FSG accept that their transfer policy is flawed and needs to be changed.
    The constant reducing of the wage bill is hurting the short term and long term future of this club.
    It's hard to expect cl qualification in this day and age, but to challenge at the very least is what should be expected. I suppose you could say we have done that in a way. We've still a chance even if it's a long shot.

It's also easy to say "a cup will do" but as yesterday showed, it doesn't matter how close you are as you can still be a million miles away from achieving your objective.

I don't know what to think tbh, I think it's best to accept this season for what it is. I feel very despondent right now and looking beyond the anger I'm feeling, I don't think any drastic changes will help us in the Summer. Rodgers should get one more year to get it right. That is of course if the players are still behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This summer it will be easier to attract a world class manager than it will to attract world class players.

The manager merry go round that will happen this summer might be the only chance to get a world class manager in.

• Advertisement

Sterling's antics the last few weeks, .

Player wants off imo, he thinks he is better than he currently is, the club seem to not want tomatch his wage demands.

Gerrard leaving, .

Every cloud has a silver lining, we won't see Rodgers trying to accomodate Gerrard in the team next year, it wasn't completely evident at the start of this season but Gerrard is unfortunately not at the races for PL football now, a summer recharge of the batteries won't change that, it's age, pure and simple.

Gerrard leaving is best for both parties, club and player.
    Rodgers having a go at Toure and senior players having a go at Rodgers for doing so, .

It's a dressing room, par for the course.

his treatment of Borini and .

Could have played him more but Borini isn't good enough, he made it clear to Borini that he should go, Borini chose to stay, Rodgers chose not to play him.
    .Sakho leaving the ground earlier in the season all ad up.
    Sakho came good to an extent.
    .all ad up.

Perhaps, not like numbers though, there is no definitive answer, certainly I feel your answer isn't correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This summer it will be easier to attract a world class manager than it will to attract world class players.

The manager merry go round that will happen this summer might be the only chance to get a world class manager in.

Not sure how you arrive that this conclusion. You are you expecting to get the chop - Ancelotti? Why would he be interested in Liverpool? PSG will be his first port of call should Blanc get the chop. Blanc is not a "world class" manager so I'd see no point in bringing him in. Pelligrini may have dignity but I'd not see him as a real upgrade either.

Who else is there apart from the "unmentionable"(!) and Klopp?

Augeo wrote: »
    Player wants off imo, he thinks he is better than he currently is, the club seem to not want tomatch his wage demands.
    I don't think it's about money at all, maybe he doesn't believe in the Liverpool project.

Talisman wrote: »
    What if a new manager could attract a better calibre player for the same or less money?

Such as? And please be realistic.

Sterling's antics the last few weeks, Gerrard leaving, Rodgers having a go at Toure and senior players having a go at Rodgers for doing so, his treatment of Borini and Sakho leaving the ground earlier in the season all ad up.

Doesn't add up to what you claimed though.

Harry Redknapp or is he unmentionable? :)

• Advertisement

Not sure how you arrive that this conclusion. You are you expecting to get the chop - Ancelotti? Why would he be interested in Liverpool? PSG will be his first port of call should Blanc get the chop. Blanc is not a "world class" manager so I'd see no point in bringing him in. Pelligrini may have dignity but I'd not see him as a real upgrade either.

de Boer would be my guess who's door FSG will go knocking on.

Klopp, Blanc, Ancelotti, Former manager, Pelligrini, de Boer probably all looking for new clubs in the summer could and more than likely start the merry go round.

If we join in on it is another thing.

Harry Redknapp or is he unmentionable? :)

I was chatting to a lad yesterday who said he though Rodgers would turn into the next Guardiola a few seasons ago now he thinks he's likely to turn into the next Redknapp the way he plays up to the English media. He said Liverpool is Rodgers West Ham great young team who win nothing and move on to win elsewhere.

I'm not Rodgers biggest fan but I did get a giggle out of that one.

I was chatting to a lad yesterday who said he though Rodgers would turn into the next Guardiola a few seasons ago now he thinks he's likely to turn into the next Redknapp the way he plays up to the English media. He said Liverpool is Redknapps West Ham get young team who win nothing and move on.

I'm not Rodgers biggest fan but I did get a giggle out of that one.

Its a prime example of how fickle fans are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Why do people think that FSG will even consider sacking Rodgers?

I really don't. Not unless Liverpool lose a couple more in our last few games, and fans start getting on his back during games, or attendance drops etc, and then their commodity comes under question.

I imagine overall, their happy to move forward with Rodgers, despite being disappointed with how this season went.

He has another year, imo, and to be honest, I'm fine with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

I think people are missing the big picture here talking about World Class managers, FSG dont want a world class manager, look at the pattern for recruitment in the Club.

When we last looked for a manager who were the real candidates? Rodgers and Martinez and what are they? Young and upcoming managers with the potential to be world class.

Look at our team and players being signed, do you spot a pattern here? Young and upcoming with potential.

FSG want control, they relinquished it during Kenny's time and got burned on the likes of Carroll, Downing etc. They have that control in the shape of the committee.

A wold class manager wont work under those circumstances, imagine trying to tell a Mourinho or an Ancelotti that yes heres your committee and that scout there Fallows and that MD there Ayre has as much say over who's signed as you do!!! A wold class manager will demand a level of power and a level of money (Net spend money) that FSG havent been and wont be willing to cede.

Yesterday in the real world made no difference for FSG, its all about the money and Champions league etc, domestic cups mean very little and they wont hesitate to get rid of Rodgers if they feel the need but it will be on a basis of how much money they are losing out on, not cups.

The issue is who they replace him with and im afraid it wont be a world class name as some are touting. De Boer would be as high profile as it gets in my opinion, maybe Rafa if they managed to take advantage of his desire to return and force him to accept a level of control.

Forget world class lads, it aint happening not on the pitch or off it, thats the philosophy. Its simple do we stick with the current potential off the pitch or go with new potential

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

As much as I'd love Rafa back, FSG just wouldn't go for him IMO. I think he would request too much control over everything and they would be reluctant to do that. One of his attributes is he doesn't 'play the game' and FSG need a good camera man IMO.

de Boer would be an interesting one to be fair...and I'd agree with Coulsen that he is probably their preferred choice.

Klopp, could have his pick of clubs, he might go to Liverpool, I think he and Liverpool would suit each other but it would be a major coup to get him.

Knex. wrote: »
    Why do people think that FSG will even consider sacking Rodgers?

Some people are talking like he's already gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Such a disappointing day all round yesterday, from the players to the manager. They all take the blame.

I still find these "Rodgers Out" fans a bit bizarre. Where were you all during last season when we nearly won the league? Even our January - Man utd game run? It was very quiet.

Rodgers got a lot wrong yesterday, really disappointed with his decision to keep Gerrard on after half time considering he was a complete liability and offering nothing.

The lack of a striker pretty much all season has seriously hurt us and not to mention the summer signings have been a disaster.

All things considered, Rodgers has done enough to earn another season or at least time up until Christmas (if things are going seriously pear shaped). You would swear Liverpool were winning back to back titles before Rodgers came in. We have come a long way since then but the question does remain can we kick on from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The transfer policy is the biggest issue.

As I've said before, the owners are gambling on Rodgers' man management and coaching ability to get the club where it needs to be.

I firmly believe Rodgers' hands are slightly tied. Yes, he's spunked money. But he's not dealing in the category of player he needs to deal in to take us on. The club will not pay the wages necessary.

What ends up happening is you spend big sums on players that aren't at the level necessary because they comand wages that won't disturb the balance sheet.

Unless the policy shifts, we won't compete properly in the top 4 for a long time. Rodgers' isn't a good enough coach. I'm not sure how many would be. The landscape is so different from even when Rafa was in charge.

joe123 wrote: »
    All things considered, Rodgers has done enough to earn another season or at least time up until Christmas (if things are going seriously pear shaped).

This, I would think, is what the majority of fans would agree with. Sacking him in the summer would be unreasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

This, I would think, is what the majority of fans would agree with. Sacking him in the summer would be unreasonable.

Yep, but if thre is another slow start serious questions would have to be asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

"Til Xmas" - the squad issues won't and can't be fully addressed in the Summer window, so giving him til Xmas is useless.

He is either taking the club in the right direction at the moment, or he isn't.

If you dont qualify for the Champions League I think Rogers will be gone in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If you dont qualify for the Champions League I think Rogers will be gone in the summer.

Its a pretty much guarantee that we wont get CL, its just too far ahead with so little games left.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Its a pretty much guarantee that we wont get CL, its just too far ahead with so little games left.

Stranger things happen. But again.... Do you really want to go into the CL with Rogers at the helm again?

I think Rogers is actually fucked no matter with or without CL

If you get a CL place then get a CL manager who has CL experience and bring in CL players like you should have done last season instead of Squad Players.

If you dont get CL then sack the manager for a wasted 3 years.

I maybe a United Fan but Liverpool are still Liverpool and its still expected that they turn the tide on the recent past

• Advertisement

Stranger things happen. But again.... Do you really want to go into the CL with Rogers at the helm again?

I think Rogers is actually fucked no matter with or without CL

If you get a CL place then get a CL manager who has CL experience and bring in CL players like you should have done last season instead of Squad Players.

If you dont get CL then sack the manager for a wasted 3 years.

I maybe a United Fan but Liverpool are still Liverpool and its still expected that they turn the tide on the recent past

I think with Klopp leaving Dortmund FSG will have a big decision to make.

Rodgers is a young manager with a bright future, but Klopp is a proven winner with international recognition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Tbh the CL players didn't want to come to us, a lot of them prob thought we were a one season wonder and they've been proved right.

Think we need to accept that we can't shop for the top players, we're not as big of a draw as we used to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Vicxas wrote: »
    I think with Klopp leaving Dortmund FSG will have a big decision to make.

Rodgers is a young manager with a bright future, but Klopp is a proven winner with international recognition.

I'm still with decision that we stick with the manager, however if Klopp is achievable in any situation we should go after him. I don't believe we have a realistic chance of getting him but I hope he doesn't go to City. If we cant get Klopp then we stick with what we have for one more season by January we'll know where we are and we can plan for a new guy in the following summer at that point if its needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

"Til Xmas" - the squad issues won't and can't be fully addressed in the Summer window, so giving him til Xmas is useless.

Have to agree with this post. They either back Rodgers for all of next season or the ditch him this summer.

The idea of giving him until Christmas could end up damaging the club even more. Let's say we have a slow start again next season and don't progress in the cups, so they dump Rodgers. That's a whole season wasted.

I'm on the fence. Rodgers has potential but we need proper world class signings. Having a young manager with potential AND a policy of recruiting young players with potential isn't working.

I'm just worried that the club isn't as attractive to other managers as people seem to think.

the kelt wrote: »
    I think people are missing the big picture here talking about World Class managers, FSG dont want a world class manager, look at the pattern for recruitment in the Club.

When we last looked for a manager who were the real candidates? Rodgers and Martinez and what are they? Young and upcoming managers with the potential to be world class.
    Initially they had an old head (Dalglish) backed by a young one (Comolli), Comolli let himself be influenced by Dalglish so that was the end of the model and decided to go back to the original plan.

FSG spoke to Aloysius with a view to him being the old head in the background that would oversee recruitment, a structure similar to Ajax and provide the support for the young upcoming manager (Frank de Boer) - LVG said yes, FdB said no.

Brendan Rodgers presented a supposed 'dossier' he had lying on his shelf to FSG for his plan for success at Liverpool FC and the powers that be were so impressed that they ditched the Ajax model because Rodgers refused to work with a director of football.

Now we have a situation where Brendan Rodgers has repeatedly tried to undermine the structure at the club so that he can have more control over transfers - an obvious case of short man syndrome, the team are not playing anywhere near their potential, and the manager's own transfers have been questionable at best. Frank de Boer is saying YES but Louis van Gaal is toxic because he is managing the other lot down the road - Interesting times.

From a money perspective it makes sense to stick with Rodgers for at least one more season - he has 3 years remaining on his contract so cutting him now would dent the finances. If replacing him is off the table, then there needs to be some change to the structure to support him because the on the job training programme will fail otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Now we have a situation where Brendan Rodgers has repeatedly tried to undermine the structure at the club so that he can have more control over transfers - an obvious case of short man syndrome, the team are not playing anywhere near their potential, and the manager's own transfers have been questionable at best. Frank de Boer is saying YES but Louis van Gaal is toxic because he is managing the other lot down the road - Interesting times.

Ah now neither you nor I know which players are the work of who, such is the fog that surrounds the transfer policy. Yes we can name Allen as a Rodgers buy but how many others can we be sure of?

Personally I'd like to see the Transfer Com disbanded. 6 cooks is 5 too many. Either have a Dir of Football who does that job or let the manager to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I think giving him till Christmas is reasonable-he's shown 3 times now that he's capable of putting together long streaks of top 4 if not title winning form in the new year even with issues of a threadbare squad then injuries to key players. If they're 6th or 7th come January again then it's time to accept he's not the right man.

The biggest problem is lack of firepower all season. Lambert, Borini are not good enough. Sturridge crocked the whole season and Balotelli while he has improved the manager doesn't trust him to start a game (Rodgers can't be blamed for that because many more experienced managers have failed the Mario test).

It says it all about the committee that they knew Suarez was off months before the window even opened and they hadn't scouted a suitable replacement and another good striker to back up an injury prone Sturridge.
    Rodgers is part of this but he is primarily the coach, the recruitment team are not up to scratch. Missed out on Sanchez and Remy and then it was just like "Brendan - Mario is available its him or nothing" WTF is Rodgers supposed to do with that?
    Why give a manager a player he does not want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The Kelt: great post this morning.

I suppose I am in the manager out camp, but my position is slightly more nuanced than it may appear. I screamed about him being a chancer, etc at times during his first season and I was wrong in all of that. Overall, while I think he hasn't done a good enough job and I don't believe he's going to take us forward he's definitely done okay overall and has demonstrated an ability to get a side playing great attacking football. Hodgson was a disaster, Rogers is obviously a million miles away from that and it's important to retain a sense of perspective about how managers are doing in relative terms.

I'm trying to look forward at potential scenarios of where we go from here and my conclusion is that this is probably a good time for all parties to break the relationship. We need a manager who is able to overcome our limitations and it primarily requires an ability to tactically outfox opponents in the crunch games consistently and have an above average hit rate with the transfer resources made available. My feeling is that this summer may provide a unique opportunity to attain a manager who does better on those points given the high level of flux likely to occur.

The FSG stuff is a problem but none of it is likely to change anytime soon. I guess it's part of what makes a guy like Benitez attractive - he would be constantly pushing and lobbying hard on the investment front. How hard has Rodgers pushed? How effectively has he pushed? Has he compromised himself in how he's managed players he didn't particularly want to begin with ala Balotelli?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

The Rafa drum?

Bloody hell.

the kelt wrote: »

Look at our team and players being signed, do you spot a pattern here? Young and upcoming with potential.

FSG want control, they relinquished it during Kenny's time and got burned on the likes of Carroll, Downing etc. They have that control in the shape of the committee.

A wold class manager wont work under those circumstances, imagine trying to tell a Mourinho or an Ancelotti that yes heres your committee and that scout there Fallows and that MD there Ayre has as much say over who's signed as you do!!! A wold class manager will demand a level of power and a level of money (Net spend money) that FSG havent been and wont be willing to cede.

Yesterday in the real world made no difference for FSG, its all about the money and Champions league etc, domestic cups mean very little and they wont hesitate to get rid of Rodgers if they feel the need but it will be on a basis of how much money they are losing out on, not cups.

The issue is who they replace him with and im afraid it wont be a world class name as some are touting. De Boer would be as high profile as it gets in my opinion, maybe Rafa if they managed to take advantage of his desire to return and force him to accept a level of control.

Forget world class lads, it aint happening not on the pitch or off it, thats the philosophy. Its simple do we stick with the current potential off the pitch or go with new potential

I can only hope you're wrong in the above analysis. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Rodgers in

joe123 wrote: »
    I still find these "Rodgers Out" fans a bit bizarre. Where were you all during last season when we nearly won the league? Even our January - Man utd game run? It was very quiet

Oh play another tune ffs. :rolleyes:

Agent Coulson, Brevity and myself have been high volume posters consistently over the past couple of years. I was here starting match threads, etc and having a grand old time with everyone else during the stretch last year.

sabat wrote: »
    I think giving him till Christmas is reasonable-he's shown 3 times now that he's capable of putting together long streaks of top 4 if not title winning form in the new year even with issues of a threadbare squad then injuries to key players. If they're 6th or 7th come January again then it's time to accept he's not the right man.

A ppg of approx 2 is required by next Christmas imo, no international comp this summer, last year's purchases have a year's experience, pre season presumably barring injury.

We know strikers are needed.

Even if Lucas stays we do need another body in midfield that's not of the advanced midfielder ilk.

Anyone like that and a striker or two (defo two if sterling leaves and that's not including origi) along with an upgrade on Jones as back up keeper and a full back and we are good to go imo.

There's enough advanced midfield options in hendo, coutinho, lallana, Ibe, markovic. They won't be upgraded on and we won't get better squad players to fit in budget & wages wise.
    Sterling might well be here next season.

Sturridge, origi and two more strikers up front. Balotelli might be one of them though which isn't inspiring.

Allen, Lucas and AN Other for the donkey work.

Can is versatile.

Lovren (i know), sakho, skyrtl & Toure (or some cheap replacement) for CD

Moreno, Flanagan another full back with markovic & Ibe able to fit in cover the rest of defence.

Rodgers etc have from here to the transfer window to plan for goals next season, having a punt on sturridge shouldn't be the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As a total neutral here (don't support any EPL club) I do find Rodgers slightly delusional in a lot of his post match comments.

He is the master of spin, or talking cr@p as I prefer to call it. He never seems to see the negative in any defeat and listening to his press appearances afterwards without knowing the scores, you'd think they won every game.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    As a total neutral here (don't support any EPL club) I do find Rodgers slightly delusional in a lot of his post match comments.

He is the master of spin, or talking cr@p as I prefer to call it. He never seems to see the negative in any defeat and listening to his press appearances afterwards without knowing the scores, you'd think they won every game.

Youre not wrong, a lot of people take issue with his constant spiel.

He needs to take a Murhinho stance and be brutally honest sometimes, players don't need to be coddled 24/7, some need a kick up the arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Most of our recent managers have been. They've had to be.

On another topic, Falcao's agent has been talking to Liverpool - can I hope that's just a desperation tactic and we're not going in for him? Or is there something I'm not seeing?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I can only hope you're wrong in the above analysis. :(

I imagine he's correct, they are running the club as a business. They've been successful in that regard and are facilitating stadium expansion.

In the boardroom, things might be happy out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

Every Manager does this. I thought it was common knowledge at this stage..
    I never take a blind bit of notice what a Manager says after a game.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The Kelt: great post this morning.

I suppose I am in the manager out camp, but my position is slightly more nuanced than it may appear. I screamed about him being a chancer, etc at times during his first season and I was wrong in all of that. Overall, while I think he hasn't done a good enough job and I don't believe he's going to take us forward he's definitely done okay overall and has demonstrated an ability to get a side playing great attacking football. Hodgson was a disaster, Rogers is obviously a million miles away from that and it's important to retain a sense of perspective about how managers are doing in relative terms.

I'm trying to look forward at potential scenarios of where we go from here and my conclusion is that this is probably a good time for all parties to break the relationship. We need a manager who is able to overcome our limitations and it primarily requires an ability to tactically outfox opponents in the crunch games consistently and have an above average hit rate with the transfer resources made available. My feeling is that this summer may provide a unique opportunity to attain a manager who does better on those points given the high level of flux likely to occur.

The FSG stuff is a problem but none of it is likely to change anytime soon. I guess it's part of what makes a guy like Benitez attractive - he would be constantly pushing and lobbying hard on the investment front. How hard has Rodgers pushed? How effectively has he pushed? Has he compromised himself in how he's managed players he didn't particularly want to begin with ala Balotelli?

So what will we gain by dumping Rodgers? If DeBoer, Rafa or Klopp are given the same players what makes you think we wont finish 5th season on season.
    We almost won the title last year because we had the 2 best strikers in the league possibly even Europe. We lost that we didn't replace it. Why? because players like that to buy come with big wages. If we had replaced with the same quality we would have had a similar season.

End of the day you finish where you deserve, the 4 above us in the league can compete on another level entirely.

I'm not anti-FSG but the manager is not the issue here, its the policies in place at the club.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement