Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note in OP 9/4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

We're not struggling this season due to any defensive issues. We can't score goals, that's the real problem. Our defence is prob about as good as uniteds and city's and only slightly worse than arsenals. But those teams have players who score more goals than ours do. Doesn't mean that we shouldn't be looking to get better defensively but the priority has to be getting in more players who score goals. Lacazette feels like an unrealistic dream and if we're going with one of them I'd love a move for Vietto please.

For all the people using the "lack of a defensive coach" stick to beat Rodgers with isn't mignolet looking likely to win the golden glove or whatever that award is?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Are these serious suggestions as I fail to see how they differ from our current transfer policy apart from the fact you have the benefit of highsight.

Benteke is probably the one that stands out although serious doubts would have been cast over his ability within our fast, fluid playing style of last season. We really didn't seem to want a Bony, Benteke, Falcao target man but a more nuanced player who could play across the front three. Balo wasn't that player either but the fact people are still suggest similar players is baffling.

Rodgers constant changing of the goal posts with whatever formation he stumbles into which works without any clear philosophy clearly doesn't help.

The likes of Firmino and Vela were mentioned more than once last summer. My last word on this subject for now. Very tedious to be honest, we could have got someone and should have, had plenty of time.
    Pyjamarama wrote:
    For all the people using the "lack of a defensive coach" stick to beat Rodgers with isn't mignolet looking likely to win the golden glove or whatever that award is?!?

Heh, yes if he stays in goal he has a good chance with Forster out for the rest of the season. Oh the irony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Searching for lacazette in posts by Agent Coulson

26 Results (0.00056 seconds)

I think it's safe to say you like the lad, could be handier if you had 'sign Lacazette' as your signature!

For what it's worth Lacazette has said that he's staying at Lyon next season. Home town club and they will have CL football so he's probably telling the truth. Will probably move after the 2016 Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

I missed the match yesterday. I have missed all the post mortem and trying to catch up.

Where were Lucas and Sturridge yesterday?

gafferino wrote: »
    I missed the match yesterday. I have missed all the post mortem and trying to catch up.

Lucas pulled a sickie in training and Sturridge will never be fit again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    We're not struggling this season due to any defensive issues. We can't score goals, that's the real problem. Our defence is prob about as good as uniteds and city's and only slightly worse than arsenals. But those teams have players who score more goals than ours do. Doesn't mean that we shouldn't be looking to get better defensively but the priority has to be getting in more players who score goals. Lacazette feels like an unrealistic dream and if we're going with one of them I'd love a move for Vietto please.

How much of that defensive solidity comes at the expense of attacking threat? Is isn't just a case of saying buy more attacking, better players and all of sudden we have a good attacking play. A team is balance between the two and as with last season you can sacrfice one at the expense of the other. I think to a degree we have reversed that the other way around this season. I'm pretty sure any decent coach can setup a team defensively while not scoring goals, Rodger's made that exact jibe directed at Mourinho last season.

It isn't like Rodgers has suddenly coached a well oiled back four, we just fired in more defenders. The fact our wingbacks have to cover so much ground during a game is going to significantly dimishish our attacking threat out wide. We can talk about players missing but I have yet to see that Rodgers can reguarly setup a team properly with a good mix of defense and attacking threat which is especially vital against better sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Tick Tock Tick Tock
    Brendan's time is nearly up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

The likes of Firmino and Vela were mentioned more than once last summer. My last word on this subject for now. Very tedious to be honest, we could have got someone and should have, had plenty of time.

I agree it is quite tedious but you are missing my point. I think Firmino is a fantastic player and would love to have seen him come in last season. Do I think he might have had a similar impact to Markovic, in terms of new league, new home, new players, new manager etc and not really made much of an impact. I can almost certainly have seen that happening. You seem to believe as many do with hindsight that it is all so easy and your plan would have worked so much better than what we attempted when they dont diverge in risk nearly as much as you think. It is just someone else's perspective who could have been equally right on a gamble wit Balo. It just hasn't worked out that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Tick Tock Tick Tock

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Tick Tock Tick Tock

Your post is obnoxious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

That post is just creepy really do you stalk the post history of everyone who posts here.

I think he meant it as a joke, at least that's the way I read it.

This thread needs some good news and soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Tick Tock Tick Tock

Tiki Taka tock*

Tick Tock Tick Tock

You are getting rather upset about a loss in a competition you don't rate as being worth winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

gafferino wrote: »

They logged onto Boards, signed in as Tipsy and Caovyn and made merry for the evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

I think he meant it as a joke, at least that's the way I read it.

This thread needs some good news and soon.

I'm pregnant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

mosstin wrote: »
    I'm pregnant.
    When did you meet sterling? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Tick Tock Tick Tock

Why you such a miser ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Tick Tock Tick Tock
    Tick Klopp Tick Klopp Tick Klopp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Connavar wrote: »
    When did you meet sterling? :pac:

Ya don't need to meet him, ya just follow him on twitter and he will send ya some of his nuclear man juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Ignoring what people want for a moment, does anyone believe theres a good chance rodgers will be sacked this summer? I find it highly unlikely myself. hes one year into a four year contract and hes achieved his three year target, just with seasons two and three in the wrong order. I think its almost certain fsg will give him another year at least. The only way I can see him leaving is if fsg happen to be a huge fan of a particular manager who was to become available (such as klopp). And even at that theyd need to convince said manager to come to the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

The biggest danger for Rodgers is the managers likely to be available this Summer. Might just convince FSG to twist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I don't like to drag up posts.

But I could of sworn someone posted Mourinho would relish the chance to come to LFC and make them the dominant force in English football again.:eek:

I just remembered it there, yikes no wonder "they" call us delusional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

What striker would you have bought for that money that would have improved us so?

Mandzukic or Griezmann

You are getting rather upset about a loss in a competition you don't rate as being worth winning.

Nope i'm absolutely delighted that after being the lone poster who wanted Rodgers out on Saturday the tide has finally turned after yesterdays gutless performance.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Nope i'm absolutely delighted that after being the lone poster who wanted Rodgers out on Saturday the tide has finally turned after yesterdays gutless performance.

Pretty small tide. Lloyd was already in your camp, and while there might be a few more here who agree, the majority don't.

Mandzukic or Griezmann

Hmmm come to Liverpool or the la liga champions who lost in the final of the champions league...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Not at all optimistic but feel he has earned another crack.

Could be the wrong thing for the club though.

You'd rather be right than Liverpool win. Pretty sure that makes you anything but a Liverpool fan. Congrats on reaching a new low. Which is actually a massive accomplishment for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Hmmm come to Liverpool or the la liga champions who lost in the final of the champions league...

Yeah, why bother. We should wait til August until the big teams sign who they want and then see who is available.

What a defeatist attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I'm all for giving rodgers more time. The top 4 are so far ahead in terms of spending and settled squads he is in nearly a impossible position. I think he is a brilliant manager and putting last season down to just Suarez is just completely disrespectful to the man and what he did.

• Advertisement

You'd rather be right than Liverpool win. Pretty sure that makes you anything but a Liverpool fan. Congrats on reaching a new low. Which is actually a massive accomplishment for you.

Which of course I didn't say but posters on this thread have a habit of making stuff up to get a nice little thanks for themselves. If you read any of my posts yesterday you would see that I was hoping we would win and Gerrard would have a stormer.

Yeah, why bother. We should wait til August until the big teams sign who they want and then see who is available.

What a defeatist attitude.

You have no idea whether we enquired about those players or not. Who's to say that we didn't? Ludicrous to give two names of players who went to a more successful club as a sign of failure.

That being said I don't think even the staunch Rodgers supporters (of which i'd be one) will argue that we need more hits on the transfer front. Tho it's worth remembering that there was a time we'd have considered Sakho and Henderson as flops. Wouldn't shock my if Lazar and Moreno kick on next year. The talent is clearly there.

Which of course I didn't say but posters on this thread have a habit of making stuff up to get a nice little thanks for themselves. If you read any of my posts yesterday you would see that I was hoping we would win and Gerrard would have a stormer.

You just said you were delighted that people are agreeing with you as a result of us losing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

You're one of those fans who will take more joy from losing the next few games, than winning, aren't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

You have no idea whether we enquired about those players or not. Who's to say that we didn't? Ludicrous to give two names of players who went to a more successful club as a sign of failure.

That being said I don't think even the staunch Rodgers supporters (of which i'd be one) will argue that we need more hits on the transfer front. Tho it's worth remembering that there was a time we'd have considered Sakho and Henderson as flops. Wouldn't shock my if Lazar and Moreno kick on next year. The talent is clearly there.

That's a good point. Often players need a season to settle in especially young fellas. The talent is there as you say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

The only people who want Rodgers gone are self entitled fools who haven't a clue about football and think Liverpool should be challenging for the title every year because we were once a force. It's akin to Everton fans demanding success in the league or Nottm Forest demanding a good run in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I may be wrong think I saw somewhere today that, in the past 4 years I think the difference in Chelseas spending and Liverpool is roughly 20 odd million.

This sort of facile analysis has been debunked countless times.

1)
    Chelsea have built up a squad of top quality young players they sell on every year to help circumvent FFP.
    That pads out their net spend and allows helps them to spend an enormous amount without any trouble.
    Even if we had the money to invest in that big a squad (ie a billionaire owner) we can't, because we've missed the FFP boat.

2)
    Even for the players they haven't signed to basically launder money before FFP kicked in, they have a well managed and very expensively assembled squad that usually has a fair few salable assets - like Mata and probably Hazard in a few years.
    We can't attract enough players of the requisite calibre to maintain a squad of that value that would allow us to continually reinvest huge sums of money (there won't be a £75m sale next summer).

3) Chelsea's net spend (which is the only relevant transfer spending figure) between Summer 2010 and Winter 2014 was around £250m. That absolutely ****ing blasts us out of the water. Ours was about £85m over the same period.
    That they didn't have to spend as much last summer is hardly relevant when they're still seeing the benefits of an enormous investment.

4) To catch up to the value of the top 4 we don't just have to match them in spending - we have to outspend them considerably, because they're starting from a position of strength whereas Liverpool nearly went out of business a few years ago and had to build an entirely new squad after the previous one was left to disintegrate to a disgraceful degree.

And we have built a new squad - only Jones, Skrtel, Enriqué, Johnson, Flannagan, Henderson, Gerrard, Lucas and Sterling were here when Rodgers came in and at least 3 more of those will be gone in the summer.

Gbear wrote: »
    This sort of facile analysis has been debunked countless times.

1)
    Chelsea have built up a squad of top quality young players they sell on every year to help circumvent FFP.
    That pads out their net spend and allows them to spend an enormous amount without any trouble.
    Even if we had the money to invest in that big a squad (ie a billionaire owner) we can't, because we've missed the FFP boat.

2)
    Even for the players they haven't signed to basically launder money before FFP kicked in, they have a well managed and very expensively assembled squad that usually has a fair few salable assets - like Mata and probably Hazard in a few years.
    We can't attract enough players of the requisite calibre to maintain a squad of that value that would allow us to continually reinvest huge sums of money (there won't be a £75m sale next summer).

3) Chelsea's net spend (which is the only relevant transfer spending figure) between Summer 2010 and Winter 2014 was around £250m. That absolutely ****ing blasts us out of the water. Ours was about £85m over the same period.
    That they didn't have to spend as much last summer is hardly relevant when they're still seeing the benefits of an enormous investment.

4) To catch up to the value of the top 4 we don't just have to match them in spending - we have to outspend them considerably, because they're starting from a position of strength whereas Liverpool nearly went out of business a few years ago and had to build an entirely new squad after the previous one was left to disintegrate to a disgraceful degree.

And we have built a new squad - only Jones, Skrtel, Enriqué, Johnson, Flannagan, Henderson, Gerrard, Lucas and Sterling were here when Rodgers came in and at least 3 more of those will be gone in the summer.

A fantastic post, if I could thank this more I would. Hopefully this gets through the skulls of those people who are slating the manager because he didn't push on from a freak season like we had last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

rob316 wrote: »
    There's another way to look at it too, why would you blow up the wage bill and spend £50m a season net on players to make back similar by qualifying for the CL? When you could chance your arm on lesser players and wages and hope you reach the golden goose of CL?

FSG is a hedge fund they answer to investors who want a return, this isn't about winning its a business. FSG would be happier with five years of continuous CL qualification and no trophies, than 2 years and 3 trophies.

That's overly cynical.

What shareholders are making money off Liverpool?

The purchase of Liverpool - a down and out club with a lot of financial potential - involved getting an asset on the cheap and very quickly turning it into an enormous asset.

Once the stadium is built FSG would be able to sell the club for a huge profit without ever have to do the leveraged buyout shenanigans that nearly destroyed the club.

There is no part of that plan that can involve Liverpool spending other people's money. We have no right to expect it of our owners and we're not allowed to do it by the terms of FFP.

Liverpool don't have an extra 50m quid a year to spend pushing even harder for the CL - not without getting slapped down by UEFA and putting the long term stability of the club in danger.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

A fantastic post, if I could thank this more I would. Hopefully this gets through the skulls of those people who are slating the manager because he didn't push on from a freak season like we had last year.

I thanked it for ya, so there's more for ya. Haven't read it yet myself but goddamn it we could do with a bit of positivity and working together in here goddamn it I said goddamn!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Would be great if you could hope we lose the remaining games, and more importantly that Gerrard starts all of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Best comment I've seen since the loss yesterday. Makes us all look a bit foolish.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Would be great if you could hope we lose the remaining games, and more importantly that Gerrard starts all of them.

Hopefully our greatest ever player and a club legend plays the last few games as captain. He will be treated like a King by the fans in his last home game against Palace while the idiots on here will belittle the great man. His time has come to an end but he will always be a legend.

ger.jpg

Hopefully our greatest ever player and a club legend plays the last few games as captain. He will be treated like a King by the fans in his last home game against Palace while the idiots on here will belittle the great man. His time has come to an end but he will always be a legend.

ger.jpg

What sort of ****e will you post next season ?

His career with Liverpool finished that Sunday last April when he slipped, it absolutely killed him mentally, the world cup did even more damage and he hasn't recovered since.

Why can't you realise that NOBODY is trying to take away from what he has done for the club over the last 17 years, the simple fact is he hasn't been good enough this season and should not have started so many games and numerous stats back that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The only people who want Rodgers gone are self entitled fools who haven't a clue about football and think Liverpool should be challenging for the title every year because we were once a force. It's akin to Everton fans demanding success in the league or Nottm Forest demanding a good run in Europe.

[ ] Thinks Liverpool should challenge for title every year
    [ ] Self entitled fool
    [X] Accepts Rodgers has put hot stretches together
    [X] Thinks there might be a better manager available this summer
    [X] Thinks we can do better in the transfer market
    [X] Thinks we can achieve more consistency of performance from current squad
    [ ] Believes Rodgers is going to get a whole lot better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

[X] Likes Pie.
    [ ] Thinks Gerrard should start every game.
    [X] Thinks every post should have checklists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

[X] Put an X in this box if you don't want to be contacted by our marketing partners.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    [ ] Thinks Liverpool should challenge for title every year
    [ ] Self entitled fool
    [X] Accepts Rodgers has put hot stretches together
    [X] Thinks there might be a better manager available this summer
    [X] Thinks we can do better in the transfer market
    [X] Thinks we can achieve more consistency of performance from current squad
    [ ] Believes Rodgers is going to get a whole lot better

What better managers would join Liverpool?

Klopp? Has enjoyed an even worse season than Rodgers this year.

Rafa? Had the job once, champions league performance papered over some very big cracks in the league, one very good season, finished 7th in his final season.

Those are the 2 realistic candidates in your mind no doubt.

mosstin wrote: »
    I'm pregnant.

I thought you had just put on a bit of insulation, tbh:pac:
    Gbear wrote: »
    That's overly cynical.

What shareholders are making money off Liverpool?

The purchase of Liverpool - a down and out club with a lot of financial potential - involved getting an asset on the cheap and very quickly turning it into an enormous asset.

Once the stadium is built FSG would be able to sell the club for a huge profit without ever have to do the leveraged buyout shenanigans that nearly destroyed the club.

There is no part of that plan that can involve Liverpool spending other people's money. We have no right to expect it of our owners and we're not allowed to do it by the terms of FFP.

Liverpool don't have an extra 50m quid a year to spend pushing even harder for the CL - not without getting slapped down by UEFA and putting the long term stability of the club in danger.
    Tbh, I don't think that's what's on FSGs plan, though i agree fully with the rest.

They seem to be building up the clubs income hugely in the last few years. It may well be with a view to selling up but i think the more likely outcome is to reinvest the funds left, after repaying the loans on the stadium, on building up the squad in quality and wages spent.

They have stated that the club has to survive on its own resources so by increasing the income it will allow increased spending on the squad to generate more income, if all goes to plan.

They will continue to buy potential, though, but i expect they will also buy more established players once the income is there to allow it. Expect to see a lot of Kellogs Kop, Anfield Emirates and such in the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

MD1990 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/GFN_France/status/589895110843858944

Have my doubts about Lacazette. Not been impressed with his general play the last few months either. Not sure he would be worth 30-40m. I would prefer Vietto.

He's been injured for a while the last couple of months, back now playing of course.

Also wasent this the same sort of stat people banded about last season trying to belittle Suarez season with us?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement