Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note in OP 9/4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Holy crap go for a game of hockey and face all this crap, can we please close this thread and start a new one in June when the fixture list is out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

We shop in the 20 million market, that gets you inconsistent players with the odd gem here and there. Our performances are therfore inconsistent. If our players turned up on Saturday we would have a cup final to look forward to.

I'm not 100% sold on Rodgers but he's a lot better than you guys give credit for.

We need to get Suarez lucky in the transfer market and hope Ibe and a few others kick on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

CSF wrote: »
    Credit Suarez as much as one wants, but no one player ever comes close to winning the title by himself.

Except for Suarez last year. Almost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Except for Suarez last year. Almost.

FFS, plenty of other people did a ****load of work too. He obviously played a huge part, but this just trivializes the efforts of Sturridge, Coutinho, Sterling, Henderson, Rodgers etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

T-K-O wrote: »
    We shop in the 20 million market, that gets you inconsistent players with the odd gem here and there. .

Hmmm thats a cop out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I see some of the red tops are linking LFC with a move for falcoa em no thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

CSF wrote: »
    Nonsense. He did great work building Liverpool from the Hodgson/Dalglish mediocrity finishes to within an inch (or slip) of the league title.

Credit Suarez as much as one wants, but no one player ever comes close to winning the title by himself.

Dalglish mediocrity?

In his first season we won a cup and finished 7th.

In Brendao's first season we won nothing and finished 7th.

Hmmm thats a cop out.

No it just doesn't suit certain agendas. There are not enough top players to go round, add that to.clubs like real and Chelsea stock piling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Hmmm thats a cop out.

Perhaps a little but there is an element of truth to it. The reality is that a 20m player is the new 10m player. Especially if we buy from a PL club.

As has been stated time and time again we need to do better with our transfers but honestly expecting a massive improvement on success is unlikely to lead to joy unless we can start a) out bidding our rivals and b) paying higher wages. Neither seems very likely at this point in time.

And fans can be ludicrous too, we had some posts saying buying Valencia instead of West Ham would have helped but tbh he's no better than the options we have here now. Last season Lambert looked as good if not better than him.

We're just hoping we end up snagging another Luis... sad but thats where we are right now.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Perhaps a little but there is an element of truth to it. The reality is that a 20m player is the new 10m player. Especially if we buy from a PL club.

As has been stated time and time again we need to do better with our transfers but honestly expecting a massive improvement on success is unlikely to lead to joy unless we can start a) out bidding our rivals and b) paying higher wages. Neither seems very likely at this point in time.

And fans can be ludicrous too, we had some posts saying buying Valencia instead of West Ham would have helped but tbh he's no better than the options we have here now. Last season Lambert looked as good if not better than him.

We're just hoping we end up snagging another Luis... sad but thats where we are right now.

I'm not giving these guys a pass but we are always 10-15 million behind the big boys. Of course we can do better but let's not pretend it's an easy task.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

In the league? More than any Liverpool manager has managed in 26 years.

I am not a Liverpool fan but even I know that is factually incorrect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

ronjo wrote: »
    I am not a Liverpool fan but even I know that is factually incorrect.

Care to elaborate?

Care to elaborate?

Liverpool won the league in 1990.

Liverpool won the league in 1990.

Yes and we won't be winning it in 2015. So it will be at least 26 seasons before it's won again. Rodgers has gotten closer than any manager in that time period.

Yes and we won't be winning it in 2015. So it will be at least 26 seasons before it's won again. Rodgers has gotten closer than any manager in that time period.

Aha so change parameters of your statement instead of admitting you got it wrong. :D

Sorry for intruding gents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Most of our recent managers have been. They've had to be.

On another topic, Falcao's agent has been talking to Liverpool - can I hope that's just a desperation tactic and we're not going in for him? Or is there something I'm not seeing?

nah we'll prob pay £30m on a five year deal @ 140,000 a week :(

Aha so change parameters of your statement instead of admitting you got it wrong. :D

Sorry for intruding gents.

A change of parameters? It will be 26 years, do you want me to draw you a picture to help you understand?

Benimar wrote: »
    I'm not really sure where I stand on Rodgers to be honest. One minute I think he has huge potential, the next I wonder what he's at. Maybe yesterdays debacle is still too fresh but I wouldn't really mind whatever decision FSG make on him.

What would concern me is, no matter who the manager is, that they back him in the Summer. The squad needs strengthening in key positions and to keep Rodgers but hold back on investment to 'see where we are at Christmas' is the absolute worst case scenario and is essentially writing off next season already. If FSG feel they can't back Rodgers with funds then just leave him go now.

It's clear we need a new striker and midfielder in the summer, but what we need most of all is balls. There were absolutely none on display yesterday (or against Arsenal in another must win game recently). Yes, Suarez gave us goals last year but he also gave us an insatiable will to win. Could you imagine Suarez strolling around the pitch with 15 minutes to go, a goal down in a semi final like some yesterday??

Someone posted on here that we needed a Carragher or Kuyt yesterday to which they got a smart ass reply about them being 'world class'. The original poster was right, they may not have been 'world class' but neither player would accept defeat in the manner it came yesterday and all teams need players with that mentality. I'm not sure we have any at the moment.

We need to sign 'winners' - players who have done it before and won't accept that the other team is better (even if they are). I can handle being beaten by a better team, but abject performances in big games (first half v United, Arsenal and yesterday) is something I cannot stomach.

Agreed, follow chelsea's example and strengthen the positions required with the required first 11 quality... not pad the squad out with overpriced dross... pad the squad with some youth imo..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I think the conversation has been generally open and interesting tbh. I also think having a 'review' conversation is appropriate given the nature and significance of yesterday's result.

It's another cup semi final loss and FSG, as shown with Kenny don't care about cups.

Rodgers will get another season simply because he has earned it the last 3 Seasons.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    We need another top CB and another Striker.

we need a 2 strikers a CM/DMF, a CB and a keeper in that order imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Knex. wrote: »
    I doubt you even believe this yourself.

So who will be on for him?? If he left this summer, what club would employ him? Real? Barca? Bayern? City?

No, it'd be Newcastle, West Ham etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

mada999 wrote: »
    we need a 2 strikers a CM/DMF, a CB and a keeper in that order imo

and a RB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Well my curiosity got the better of me and im sorry Tipsy but i had to go through your posts to see just what you've always thought of our manager and you posted this on December 1st 2013.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87785717&postcount=824

Yes, 5 months before he almost won us the league title you wanted our manager out. That just confirms how full of **** you are and forgive me but i will never take anything you say seriously again.

And also saying this to another poster on May 31st 2013.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84870534&postcount=6831

What does that make you nowadays?

You do realise Rodgers bottled the league last season. Going for the win against Chelsea and throwing away a 3 goal lead against Palace was unforgivable, if Mourinho was in charge we would never had fcuked it away. Anyway it was mostly down to Suarez why we were in that golden position in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

So who will be on for him?? If he left this summer, what club would employ him? Real? Barca? Bayern? City?

No, it'd be Newcastle, West Ham etc.

As recently as a month ago Rodgers has had to deny talk of him being appointed Man City manager , they are supposedly keen. You're doing him a great disservice mentioning him in the Newcastle , West Ham bracket imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

You do realise Rodgers bottled the league last season. Going for the win against Chelsea and throwing away a 3 goal lead against Palace was unforgivable, if Mourinho was in charge we would never had fcuked it away. Anyway it was mostly down to Suarez why we were in that golden position in the first place.

Exactly. People go on about the Chelsea game and the Gerrard miscontroll (the slip was irrelevant) but you would expect Chelsea to win that game or at least get a draw. That's expected.

Being 3-0 up against Crystal Palace and not winning is a choke of the highest order. Even great managers make mistakes and I'm sure Liverpool remember Ancelotti and Milan bottling it in Istanbul. But that's the point that Rodgers blew the title. Not seeing out that game was a tactical clusterf*ck and if there is one moment in his career he probably wishes he could have back, its that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

This kind of shows how short peoples memory can be. Chelsea were actually in poll position to win the league until they threw away 6 points against Villa and Sunderland. So Mourinho actually threw it away too.

Aaaaaahhhhh **** sake. The palace result had no ****ing bearing on the title!!!!!! Jesus christ almighty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

This Suarez was the reason we finished 2nd bs is getting tiring. Suarez scored 31 goals we scored over 100. Daniel Sturridge was the Liverpool player who contributed to the most points won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Kirby wrote: »
    Exactly. People go on about the Chelsea game and the Gerrard miscontroll (the slip was irrelevant) but you would expect Chelsea to win that game or at least get a draw. That's expected.

Being 3-0 up against Crystal Palace and not winning is a choke of the highest order. Even great managers make mistakes and I'm sure Liverpool remember Ancelotti and Milan bottling it in Istanbul. But that's the point that Rodgers blew the title.

The only way the Crystal Palace game would have counted is if we won 8/9-0 such was the gap in GD.

• Advertisement

Being 3-0 up against Crystal Palace and not winning is a choke of the highest order. Even great managers make mistakes and I'm sure Liverpool remember Ancelotti and Milan bottling it in Istanbul. But that's the point that Rodgers blew the title. Not seeing out that game was a tactical clusterf*ck and if there is one moment in his career he probably wishes he could have back, its that one.

But the Palace match was irrelevant? :confused:

The league was over when we lost against Chelsea.

rob316 wrote: »
    This Suarez was the reason we finished 2nd bs is getting tiring. Suarez scored 31 goals we scored over 100. Daniel Sturridge was the Liverpool player who contributed to the most points won.

Thats a new one.....

tok9 wrote: »
    But the Palace match was irrelevant? :confused:

The league was over when we lost against Chelsea.

No it wasn't. Win that game, as you should from 3-0 up, and the pressure is back on City. Collapse and draw the game, and the city players relax.

The league was lost against Chelsea not palace. We were absolutely cruising against palace probably one of our best away performances of the season. We naively thought we could close the goal difference gap but became too open and we were punished.
    Rodgers didn't bottle it he came up against a manager who is a master at these games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

No it wasn't. Win that game, as you should from 3-0 up, and the pressure is back on City. Collapse and draw the game, and the city players relax.

Exactly and City have a history of nearly bottling it. Suarez being inconsolable at the end of the game just shows how much of a fcuk up that result was.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Thats a new one.....

24 points I think it was more than any other player in the league. I'm not one for stats but its an interesting one for the people that thought suarez oversaw training, picked the team and tactics last season.

• Advertisement

Exactly and City have a history of nearly bottling it. Suarez being inconsolable at the end of the game just shows how much of a fcuk up that result was.

You're wrong, your posts are ridiculous, they are full of complete horse manure.

He's not wrong. City won the league by a mere two points. Win the Palace game, and the City players are under pressure to perform. Sure they nearly blew it against QPR on the last day before and it took a last minute Aguero goal to save them. They don't handle pressure well. Drawing with Palace threw it away.

City had West Ham as their last game and they won comfortably because the pressure was off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

CDEJFwaWIAAnld2.jpg:large

City played Everton before we played Palace. That was the only hope we had after losing to Chelsea. City went on to beat Everton and that was it.

What you're saying isn't even correct. In terms of maths we still could have won the league on the last day of the season. We win and they lose. There would have been practically the same pressure on them even if we had beaten Palace.

rob316 wrote: »
    24 points I think it was more than any other player in the league.

Do you happen to have a handy link to those stats, would be an interesting read....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

He's not wrong. City won the league by a mere two points. Win the Palace game, and the City players are under pressure to perform. Sure they nearly blew it against QPR on the last day before and it took a last minute Aguero goal to save them. They don't handle pressure well. Drawing with Palace threw it away.

City had West Ham as their last game and they won comfortably because the pressure was off.

Difference was QPR were fighting for their lives that day. West Ham were already mentally on the the sun lounger by the time they played City.

MD1990 wrote: »

Sterling on the way out then would be a good guess then.

Do you happen to have a handy link to those stats, would be an interesting read....

And who assisted most of Sturridge's goals did Luis have a hand in them or not.

They also probably won comfortably because WH had nothing to play for and didn't give a bollix

We had to win 12 straight games to even get into a position to challenge city. We gave ourselves absolute zero room for error much like we did in the race for 4th this season. The loss to Chelsea ended it, the palace game was just a consequence of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Hoki wrote: »
    As recently as a month ago Rodgers has had to deny talk of him being appointed Man City manager , they are supposedly keen. You're doing him a great disservice mentioning him in the Newcastle , West Ham bracket imo.

Rodgers going to Man City is the only way he'll get Liverpool into the Champs Lge.

And who assisted most of Sturridge's goals did Luis have a hand in them or not.

Ya, it would be interesting to see the criteria

They also probably won comfortably because WH had nothing to play for and didn't give a bollix

It's true that West Ham had nothing to play for and QPR did. That has to factor into it of course.

I still think being 3-0 up and losing three goals in 12 minutes shows a shocking grasp of game management and is a black mark against Rodgers. That's amateur stuff to be honest.

I've praised the fact that Rodgers is brave in his team selections before. I said so a few weeks back. He tries different things and isn't rigidly or stubborn in his formation. It's a positive. But when you are changing the system 3 or 4 times in a single game like he did against Villa, it demonstrates the negative side of that. I think in the end the players ended up confused.

Exactly and City have a history of nearly bottling it.

A history of nearly bottling it... I'm pretty sure history looks at it as 2 league wins actually.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement