Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note in OP 9/4

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Benzino wrote: »
    The funny thing is Chelsea should have won the league last year, but because Mourhino said they wouldn't, nobody talks about it. As already mentioned, Mourhino bottled it just as much as Rodgers, if not more. And he had a better squad available to him too.

Don't bother trying to talk sense to that one, he was already been pulled on that and won't reply. Mourinho and Chelsea threw away the league last year a lot more than Rodgers and Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Don't bother trying to talk sense to that one, he was already been pulled on that and won't reply. Mourinho and Chelsea threw away the league last year a lot more than Rodgers and Liverpool.

True, Chelsea Bottled it and Liverpool Slipped up

But Chelsea, Arsenal and United learned from last season

I wont say Liverpool Fans didnt learn, But Rogers learned nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    True, Chelsea Bottled it and Liverpool Slipped up

But Chelsea, Arsenal and United learned from last season

I wont say Liverpool Fans didnt learn, But Rogers learned nothing.

The really annoying thing is that Mourihno kept saying last year, judge me next season which sort of gave him a pass.

3 teams looked to have moved forward from last season and 2 have moved back at the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

niallo27 wrote: »
    Wengers first few years were quiet poor. He then won a league in a poor French league comparable to what Rodgers did last year. He failed to challenge the next few years. He is quiet comparable to Rodgers in the early years.

But Rodgers didnt win the league. He bottled it and finished second

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

What happens if de gea leaves ?

they can just buy a new goalie. The Adidas deal is something like 70m a season.
    He was great for them this season but they're more than just him. As much as I'd like united to have many more seasons like last season it's not going to happen too often. Their financial power ensures it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think trying to attack the records of Wenger / Benitez / Mourinho / whoever is just as bad as those of us who have been overly harsh in our assessment of Rodgers over the previous three years. It's all unnecessary hyperbole.

If you had a manager like Benitez or Mourinho in place you'd feel like you had a twist at European competition no matter how relatively lacking your squad might be and that you could sneak ties against top sides in the league. You'd also expect that the media scrutiny would be intense, the football may be dull at times and there will be a couple of frustrating games against lessor teams. Mourinho would give you an obviously higher probability of winning the league; but an also higher probability of being gone in a blaze of recrimination and controversy within two years or so.

Where are we with Rodgers? It's beginning to look like you are guaranteed hot patches of brilliant football; poor patches of tactical indecisiveness; and frustration in Europe and the transfer market. I think those for whom style of play is a priority will find him a very attractive proposition and want to believe that he will grow and get better.

Bottom line? I think if you got someone like Mourinho you'd feel like he'd galvanise your squad and get it to overachieve year one. It wouldn't be plain sailing but a man like that brings an air of winning about him, an arrogant '**** the world' attitude. If Rodgers is to stay, let's hope he develops something similar in time.

Excellent post

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I think trying to attack the records of Wenger / Benitez / Mourinho / whoever is just as bad as those of us who have been overly harsh in our assessment of Rodgers over the previous three years. It's all unnecessary hyperbole.

If you had a manager like Benitez or Mourinho in place you'd feel like you had a twist at European competition no matter how relatively lacking your squad might be and that you could sneak ties against top sides in the league. You'd also expect that the media scrutiny would be intense, the football may be dull at times and there will be a couple of frustrating games against lessor teams. Mourinho would give you an obviously higher probability of winning the league; but an also higher probability of being gone in a blaze of recrimination and controversy within two years or so.

Where are we with Rodgers? It's beginning to look like you are guaranteed hot patches of brilliant football; poor patches of tactical indecisiveness; and frustration in Europe and the transfer market. I think those for whom style of play is a priority will find him a very attractive proposition and want to believe that he will grow and get better.

Bottom line? I think if you got someone like Mourinho you'd feel like he'd galvanise your squad and get it to overachieve year one. It wouldn't be plain sailing but a man like that brings an air of winning about him, an arrogant '**** the world' attitude. If Rodgers is to stay, let's hope he develops something similar in time.

Sorry but **** European competition, I don't care about winning the champions league right now. I want a league title and Rodgers got us closer than Rafa managed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'd rather another Champions League. All day.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I want a league title and Rodgers got us closer than Rafa managed.

much of a muchness on that count

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'd rather another Champions League. All day.

Given the choice, I'd take a premier league title all day long and twice on Sundays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

League for me.

Better teams win leagues.

Far away from either though.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

mayordenis wrote: »
    And he managed that while getting to the quarter finals in the cl

Not at all, Rafa showed he could turn us into a force in Europe and there is no manager in the world I would prefer over a 2 legged tie but he failed repeatedly in the league. Strange decisions, strange substitions, constant tinkering with the team. Sound familiar?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

ronjo wrote: »
    The really annoying thing is that Mourihno kept saying last year, judge me next season which sort of gave him a pass.

3 teams looked to have moved forward from last season and 2 have moved back at the top.

Have Arsenal actually moved forward though or did they just stay the same (as they have done for the last X years)? The max points they can end on now is 84 (realistically it will be around 80), last year they finished with 79.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Benzino wrote: »
    The funny thing is Chelsea should have won the league last year, but because Mourhino said they wouldn't, nobody talks about it. As already mentioned, Mourhino bottled it just as much as Rodgers, if not more. And he had a better squad available to him too.

Chelsea were still in the Champions League and reached the semi final, that's an extra 4 games in April they had to play. They also lost Cech & Terry to injury for the rest of the season and Ramires through suspension. Liverpool were top with 3 games to go, injury free and no CL distractions. Play for the draw against Chelsea and the league was there on a plate.

Chelsea were still in the Champions League and reached the semi final, that's an extra 4 games in April they had to play. They also lost Cech & Terry to injury for the rest of the season and Ramires through suspension. Liverpool were top with 3 games to go, injury free and no CL distractions. Play for the draw against Chelsea and the league was there on a plate.

Henderson was suspended which was a huge loss but you already knew that and chose not to post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Have Arsenal actually moved forward though or did they just stay the same (as they have done for the last X years)? The max points they can end on now is 84 (realistically it will be around 80), last year they finished with 79.

Sorry for dragging this off topic but I think yes (or at least I hope so).
    Start of the season was ravaged with injuries (maybe nothing new) but since the team has been settled with Ozil, Giroud and Coquelin added the results speak for themselves.

I think most Arsenal fans genuinely think we can win the league next season and its the first time in a long time that we have felt that way.

Of course its entirely possible Arsenal will be fighting for 4th come April next year but it would be a massive disappointment if that happened.

I think arsenal have progressed. but I can see the arguement to the contrary. I think adding world class talent like ozil and Sanchez, and strengthening the squad with welbeck and Debuchy, we're not miles away from having a very good Team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I'm lost reading this thread today.

How on earth is the loss against Chelsea Rodgers' bottling it? Whilst a draw would have done Liverpool that day, it's not as if they went completely gung ho. They played exactly as they had all season, and other than a Gerrard slip, would have at least drawn that game. Chelsea never had any intention of coming out and attacking that day.

I really don't see how that is Rodgers bottling it? I think he's a good manager and can make Liverpool a top 4 side given time. This season, they just gave themselves too much to do from early on, as the new signings were settling in, therefore making every game since January basically a must win game, and they've just ran out of steam. I think you'll see them amongst the top 4 a lot more next season if Rodgers is kept on.

EDIT: I also think things will be a lot easier for Rodgers in the dressing room next season once Gerrard is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

That Liverpool team last season could not go out and play for a draw considering how they had been set up tactically in the second half of the season. They were defensively fragile and Rodgers was correct in the way he set the team up against Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Not at all, Rafa showed he could turn us into a force in Europe and there is no manager in the world I would prefer over a 2 legged tie but he failed repeatedly in the league. Strange decisions, strange substitions, constant tinkering with the team. Sound familiar?

I know everyone wants to rewrite history on all sides of this (i.e. last year was all because of Suarez type stuff on the other end) but the league was very close in 2009. We forget it now, but Villa were 2 - 0 up with coming on an hour gone at Old Trafford. Had they held on we probably would have won it, just as if we had been smarter and more patient against Chelsea last year or jammed a goal in the second half we probably would have won it.

And ultimately, while 2009 and last season were incredibly exciting and ultimately heartbreaking I've always found something spectacular in seeing the team take the field while it's still bright on a midweek May evening with Anfield belting it out. European football is a very important part of what made the club what it is today. Our legacy is built on it in a big way and it is important that we get back to competing in that sphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I believe if Hendo hadn't been suspended we would have won the league last season.

Great to hear his contract should be sorted over the next few days. 100k

Build a time with him, Coutinho and Can in the middle

Henderson was suspended which was a huge loss but you already knew that and chose not to post it.

That's true, it happened right in front of my eyes and the whole stadium went quiet and knew what was coming. He was definitely a big loss and who knows what would have happened if he played against Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

He came 2nd in the league (with 2 points more than we finished with last year)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

FYI

346054.png

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I know everyone wants to rewrite history on all sides of this (i.e. last year was all because of Suarez type stuff on the other end) but the league was very close in 2009. We forget it now, but Villa were 2 - 0 up with coming on an hour gone at Old Trafford. Had they held on we probably would have won it, just as if we had been smarter and more patient against Chelsea last year or jammed a goal in the second half we probably would have won it.

And ultimately, while 2009 and last season were incredibly exciting and ultimately heartbreaking I've always found something spectacular in seeing the team take the field while it's still bright on a midweek May evening with Anfield belting it out. European football is a very important part of what made the club what it is today. Our legacy is built on it in a big way and it is important that we get back to competing in that sphere.

I remember that Villa game and Macheda doing something similar against Sunderland the week after, i know just how close the league title was but we came up short, just like last season. Hence me not being able to understand why people are clamouring for Rafa over Rodgers.

Like i already said, we were a force in Europe but what good is that when we were heading to St Andrews, Turf Moor and the likes and being beaten?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

He came 2nd in the league (with 2 points more than we finished with last year)

While getting to the QF of the CL......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Jon Stark wrote: »
    I'll tell you what's worse, a United fan coming into this thread giving a lecture about how the team "bottled it" last season.

Kirby ain't one of ours. You should ask him who he supports... he loves that.

A lot of people under valued Rafa, but the majority loved him. He done a fantastic job with us.

Rafa will never manage us under FSG. Some people need to accept that.

• Advertisement

That's true, it happened right in front of my eyes and the whole stadium went quiet and knew what was coming. He was definitely a big loss and who knows what would have happened if he played against Chelsea.

Tipsy, are you telling fibs again?

You said this the other day
    See you have jumped in and started to talk nonsense. I have been to plenty of matches, done the day trip on the ferry with IK, seen us lose to Chelsea to hand them the league, get beaten 1-3 by Villa twice and beat City last year amongst a load of other games (Man City last April was my last game) but the days of cheap flights & hotels are gone so it's too expensive to go these days. So don't presume I don't go to matches.

How were you at the Chelsea game if the City game was your last match?

Dont think he means the same game. "Hand them the league"? That wasn't last season.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Dont think he means the same game. "Hand them the league"? That wasn't last season.

I would imagine the Chelsea game when we handed them the league was Gerrards backpass to Drogba.

He said City last April was the last game he was at but then he said he was in the stadium when Henderson was sent off. Its just more of his lies, its cool.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I think you're not reading very well, he's saying he was their that day (city game) and everyone knew what the Henderson sending off meant going forward.

You're a dog with a bone, the last angry man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I believe if Hendo hadn't been suspended we would have won the league last season.

Great to hear his contract should be sorted over the next few days. 100k

Build a time with him, Coutinho and Can in the middle

While I'm happy to see Hendo sign I'd be looking for a bit more to be added to the middle - a Pjanic or at least a Sissoko.

My apologies Tipsy, i got myself mixed up.

He said City last April was the last game he was at but then he said he was in the stadium when Henderson was sent off. Its just more of his lies, its cool.

Henderson did get sent off against City in April though?

I think you're not reading very well, he's saying he was their that day (city game) and everyone knew what the Henderson sending off meant going forward.

You're a dog with a bone, the last angry man.

Im an idiot, for some reason i thought Hendo was sent off against Chelsea. Again Tipsy, apologies.

While I'm happy to see Hendo sign I'd be looking for a bit more to be added to the middle - a Pjanic or at least a Sissoko.

Our Midfield has little quality. Competent but ordinary. I'd agree we need a bit more.

Im an idiot, for some reason i thought Hendo was sent off against Chelsea. Again Tipsy, apologies.

Are you apologising for posting being Tipsy, or to Tipsy :P

• Advertisement

Our Midfield has little quality. Competent but ordinary. I'd agree we need a bit more.

I was hoping for Milner and Kheidera but i doubt we'll get the latter without CL football but who knows. Sissoko would be a fantastic signing and one who i would image will be available in the summer.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

In general (not this one obviously) your posts come across very agressive and confrontational. I really think you you should read what you write before you post it and consider how it'll be viewed. There are ways to put your views across without being confrontational you know. I think some of the backlash you've got in recent days will just get worse and clog up the thread more so you should perhaps have a think about it at least.

If you are happy with your style fair enough, nothing I can do about it.

I don't even think you actually read posts you just skim over them and see what you want to see. I was at the City game last April when Henderson was sent off. I was replying to your post about Henderson's suspension and any halfwit would know this.

I was hoping for Milner and Kheidera but i doubt we'll get the latter without CL football but who knows. Sissoko would be a fantastic signing and one who i would image will be available in the summer.

Would you rate him as a fantastic signing? I'm not so sure if i'm honest.

Would you rate him as a fantastic signing? I'm not so sure if i'm honest.

If played centrally, he would add exactly what we need in midfield, some steel. His energy along with Henderson would be excellent to have, throw Milner in there and its a dream midfield for the level we are at. Plenty of energy and goals in those 3.

If played centrally, he would add exactly what we need in midfield, some steel. His energy along with Henderson would be excellent to have, throw Milner in there and its a dream midfield for the level we are at. Plenty of energy and goals in those 3.

A miracle has happened I agree with you, I would defo take Milner in the summer. When City were 2 down last April he came on and changed the game.

How gettable is Cech?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

How gettable is Cech?

Mourinho wouldn't give us the steam off his piss! :rolleyes:

But he would give us Victor Moses :p

How gettable is Cech?

The face that Jose wouldnt see us as a threat might help, he wont be cheap though but anything around 10-12m and he would be a great acquisition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    FYI

346054.png

All that proves that with 6 games to go Man City were always in charge of the league last season, 4 points behind but with 2 games in hand and Liverpool really needing to win every game in the league in the year 2014 to have a hope of winning the league which they nearly did.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement