Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note in OP 9/4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I really think that Can is the ball carrying midfielder that we need. It's already obvious he's a powerful, direct runner with the ball, just needs to get his head up and make the right decisions when he gets up the pitch. Wouldn't mind a midfield three of him, Henderson and a DM behind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I remember that Villa game and Macheda doing something similar against Sunderland the week after, i know just how close the league title was but we came up short, just like last season. Hence me not being able to understand why people are clamouring for Rafa over Rodgers.

Like i already said, we were a force in Europe but what good is that when we were heading to St Andrews, Turf Moor and the likes and being beaten?

Well the whole winning a CL thing; being ranked no.1 in Europe; the fact that's he's subsequently won the EL at Chelsea and a cup at Napoli. You know, the whole track record of consistent success over a long period of time thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Anyone else reckon we'll see Gerrard play more than the odd few minutes again for Liverpool? If Lucas is fit enough for next game was that it for the captain on Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Anyone else reckon we'll see Gerrard play more than the odd few minutes again for Liverpool? If Lucas is fit enough for next game was that it for the captain on Sunday?

I'd say he'll start a few games alright

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

NukaCola wrote: »
    I'd say he'll start a few games alright

Will surely start the last home game? Certainly if it's a case of there being nothing to play for at that point I'd think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

http://www.football365.com/john-nicholson/9814729/Make-Way-For-Proper-Genius-Brendan...

Not sure if the above was posted, but its hard to argue with the points made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He'll start the Crystal Palace game that is for sure.

Vicxas wrote: »
    http://www.football365.com/john-nicholson/9814729/Make-Way-For-Proper-Genius-Brendan...

The sacking of Brendan Rodgers - which now seems much, much more likely after an abysmal performance on Sunday - will be greeted in press circles with a degree of dismay. Brendan is good value. For a start, most of us have amused ourselves by typing Brenda more times than Brendan. As a result, he does have a Brenda-like quality.

He says odd things which can be written down and mused over. He turns up with a face looking like a freshly polished pair of brown leather brogues. Brendan is special, he isn't one out of the bottle. Not unless the bottle is marked 'stripper fake tan', anyway.

yeah kwality stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

yeah kwality stuff.

I didnt say ALL of it was quality ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I really think that Can is the ball carrying midfielder that we need. It's already obvious he's a powerful, direct runner with the ball, just needs to get his head up and make the right decisions when he gets up the pitch. Wouldn't mind a midfield three of him, Henderson and a DM behind them.
    A couple of months ago, i would have agreed with you.

Was it the Blackburn cup game that he was played in midfield and looked totally gassed before the end of the first game?

Tbh, i would have a bit of concern for his ability to go the whole game when he was goosed after just one half against championship opposition.

• Advertisement

It wasn't a great piece, the start was pretty awful but this did stand out

"There is no downside to Klopp taking over"

Was it the Blackburn cup game that he was played in midfield and looked totally gassed before the end of the first game?

Tbh, i would have a bit of concern for his ability to go the whole game when he was goosed after just one half against championship opposition.

Thats unfair though as its such a small sample size

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Well the whole winning a CL thing; being ranked no.1 in Europe; the fact that's he's subsequently won the EL at Chelsea and a cup at Napoli. You know, the whole track record of consistent success over a long period of time thing.

And having to deal with the morons who almost destroyed the club.

Thats unfair though as its such a small sample size
    Yes, it's a small sample size, only one game, but i would have expected a player of his age to manage the pace of a game against a championship side much better.

Maybe i'm being overly critical but it would concern me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I think the big thing that has changed in the last year or so is the pressing and constant pressure LFC put teams under from the first whistle.
    I would honestly use the reserve squad for the Europa , league and fa cup if it meant going back to a high pressure high intensity game.
    Look at some of the results from last season. The 5-1 against arsenal , the 3-0 against man utd and some of the other hammerings that where dished out by LFC.
    During this period BR also seemed to mix up the team selection a tad where he used 3-5-2 and a 4-4-2 diamond. I think BR needs to go back to this period and examine the way the team played to help him bring about a more solid formation. This season he used a 5-3-2 with wing backs to stabilize the team and then managers found a way to beat this system so maybe next season BR could mix it up with all 3 systems depending on the opposition or maybe develope a Jose approach and just say right we will take a point in the big games and use the winnable games to hit teams hard with the free flowing football BR wants to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

'ARRGHHHH! WE'LL NEVER BE SUCCESSFUL UNLESS RODGERS DIE'

:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

He hasn't won a league title in over 10 years, I want a league, not European success.

He hasn't won a league title in over 10 years, I want a league, not European success.

So it's gone from Rafa being no worse than Rodgers to a case of what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

5starpool wrote: »
    In general (not this one obviously) your posts come across very agressive and confrontational. I really think you you should read what you write before you post it and consider how it'll be viewed. There are ways to put your views across without being confrontational you know. I think some of the backlash you've got in recent days will just get worse and clog up the thread more so you should perhaps have a think about it at least.

If you are happy with your style fair enough, nothing I can do about it.

In fairness to Caovyn he's started posting at a time when the wheels have come off our season(if they were ever on them) with 3 disappointing results that have everyone posting quite stridently, whether that be for or against Rodgers. I'd imagine if he had started posting last year or during our good run this season we'd be seeing a less confrontational posting style. As things stand he's just standing his ground for the most part, a lot like Mr Alan or Llyod do, it just stands out more because he's new and I think newbies are generally meant to be seen not heard in these parts.

So it's gone from Rafa being no worse than Rodgers to a case of what you want.

Nothing changed. Rafa was a great manager for us, he has European pedigree but he made quite a few errors in the league when he was manager of Liverpool, I fail to see how him coming back 6 years later will make anything different. He will still tinker with his teams too much, he will still make head scratching decisions and he will still lose the so-called easier games.

• Advertisement

Nothing changed. Rafa was a great manager for us, he has European pedigree but he made quite a few errors in the league when he was manager of Liverpool, I fail to see how him coming back 6 years later will make anything different. He will still tinker with his teams too much, he will still make head scratching decisions and he will still lose the so-called easier games.

Pretty sure Brendan Rodgers does that as well.

Pretty sure Brendan Rodgers does the same thing.

Ding ding ding!!!!!
    The people clamouring for Rafa ahead of Rodgers don't seem to realise that they are both open to the same clangers.

Ding ding ding!!!!!
    The people clamouring for Rafa ahead of Rodgers don't seem to realise that they are both open to the same clangers.

Yet Rafa won/wins things along the way for all the teams he manages.

Rodgers has won nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Ding ding ding!!!!!

Yes but Rafa has collected plenty of trophies as he clangers along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I don't think Klopp would join us. Rodgers has done ok but he has really put himself under pressure with the FA Cup result on Sunday. And I think the owners may look at a new option during the summer.
    In a few years I think Rodgers will go on to become a top class coach but at the moment he is lacking experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Yet Rafa won/wins things along the way for all the teams he manages.

Rodgers has won nothing.

This

Im no Liverpool supporter but ffs, Change your manager for the good of your club and reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well, he's got as close as Rodgers has to it and his average league finishing position at different places in different leagues is above what Rodgers has been putting together.

Look - deciding that Rodgers is a better bet has to be based on:

- you prefer his style of play;
    - you think he will improve;
    - you think FSG wouldn't work well with Benitez / he wouldn't work well with them;

And that's fine. I can understand the logic of those arguments even if I don't agree with them.

But arguing that Rodgers is a better manager when you compare his achievements over his three years and generally is baseless. Again, we don't have to belittle someone unnecessarily to argue our case - I learned my lesson there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I think the big thing that has changed in the last year or so is the pressing and constant pressure LFC put teams under from the first whistle.
    I would honestly use the reserve squad for the Europa , league and fa cup if it meant going back to a high pressure high intensity game.
    Look at some of the results from last season. The 5-1 against arsenal , the 3-0 against man utd and some of the other hammerings that where dished out by LFC.
    During this period BR also seemed to mix up the team selection a tad where he used 3-5-2 and a 4-4-2 diamond. I think BR needs to go back to this period and examine the way the team played to help him bring about a more solid formation. This season he used a 5-3-2 with wing backs to stabilize the team and then managers found a way to beat this system so maybe next season BR could mix it up with all 3 systems depending on the opposition or maybe develope a Jose approach and just say right we will take a point in the big games and use the winnable games to hit teams hard with the free flowing football BR wants to play.

I've lost count of the times this year when i've said why are'nt we pressing them high up, and i often wonder is it deliberate from BR in that he does'nt want to tire out the team with such a big schedule, or is it that players have become complacent, or are they actually playing for him any more?

The few times this season we have played with high tempo and a high pressing system we have looked as dangerous as we were last season so it baffles me why we don't play that way every week.
    Sitting back and letting teams attack us only exposes our defensive weaknesses more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

When Mourinhio was a promising young manager, he was winning things.

When Wenger was a promising young manager, he was winning things.

When Van Gaal was Rodgers' age he won a champions league
    So a few silly red tops say LFC where in for him and everyone believes it. Fact of the matter is he a lot better then jones but he is still a shocking keeper and I'm glad LFC didn't touch him.

Oh dear, this is delicious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    This

Im no Liverpool supporter but ffs, Change your manager for the good of your club and reputation.

That is a bit OTT.. Sure Rodgers has made mistakes and will come under more scrutiny in the next few games but I want to give a full season next year..

For some reason this comment reminded me of when SAF called on Liverpool to get rid of Suarez (after the Ivanovic bite) for the good of the club :)

Well, he's got as close as Rodgers has to it and his average league finishing position at different places in different leagues is above what Rodgers has been putting together.

- you think FSG wouldn't work well with Benitez / he wouldn't work well with them;

And that's fine. I can understand the logic of those arguments even if I don't agree with them.

But arguing that Rodgers is a better manager when you compare his achievements over his three years and generally is baseless. Again, we don't have to belittle someone unnecessarily to argue our case - I learned my lesson there.

Above takes no account of context of course, Liverpool is now just another big club without a "sugar daddy", the three years of G&H killed any chance of movig into that stratosphere and now with FFP the boat has sailed so any Liverpool manager is up against it from here on. When Rafa was manager Liverpool were a Top 4 side by every metric then Chelseas money started to make a difference and then City won the lottery. The level of underachievement for Liverpool was actually much greater under Souness/Evens/Houllier but as a few cups were won people tend to overlook the rank league performances.

I suspect those who are hostile for Rodgers would be so regardless of a Cup being won.

When Van Gaal was Rodgers' age he won a champions league

Loved that Ajax team full of quality and guile, it was an elite competition back then too.

Such a shame to see how far his football has degraded in style quality and success despite spending large sum's of money. ;)

Sure didn't it take Coutinho a long time until he could last a full 90 minutes?

Oh dear, this is delicious

I know your waiting for it so what is so delicious about it ?

Simple fact is , I don't rate Valdes and I'm glad LFC didn't sign him. I'm sure you can say the same about players that your club was supposedly interested in.

Im not going to discuss what Rafa has done in other leagues because it doesnt matter that he won La Liga 10+ years ago or he won a cup in Italy, that has no bearing on his performance in England.

In his first 2 seasons, he won 2 cups while performing horribly in the league in his first season, the second season was obviously better but still had some poor results. From 2006 to his unjust sacking in 2009 he didnt win a trophy and we had some very embarassing cup performances and exits.

When you look at the players he had at his disposal coupled with the fact that there were only 3 other good sides in the league, top 4 was the very minimum we could expect.

Now compare that to Rodgers who got 2nd last year despite having a much poorer side than Rafa had in 2009(Suarez aside) and having to compete against Chelsea, United, Arsenal, City and their millions and Spurs.

And as for people giving out about Rodgers signings not being good enough. Babel, Josemi, Nunez, Pellegrino, Morientes, Gonzalez, Paletta, Pennant, Dossena, Riera, Keane and Aquilani say hello. I dont care about net spend or anything like that, he signed some absolute **** for our club. I know all about the owners etc etc but the fact is that the majority of them were signed for big money and were flops, each and every one.

The grass isnt always greener and i just wish Liverpool fans would stop living in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Great piece (apart from the first paragraph) and i like this bit,

The job at Liverpool isn't easy, but managing one of the bigger clubs in world football in the 21st century has a simple spec. This is it: you spend a lot of money on excellent players for a couple of years, then you win a lot of games and at least one trophy. If you don't do that, someone else will be invited to do it instead. That is the modern game. That is how all the successful clubs do it.

I know your waiting for it so what is so delicious about it ?

Simple fact is , I don't rate Valdes and I'm glad LFC didn't sign him. I'm sure you can say the same about players that your club was supposedly interested in.

Liverpool invited him to football games of course they wanted him ffs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Manchester United got him though because they are far more superior to the inferior Liverpool. He would have been first choice at Liverpool and one of their best keepers in a long time but merely a back up u21s keeper at the mighty United. I really wish we got him and he wasn't tempted by the better club.

Loved that Ajax team full of quality and guile, it was an elite competition back then too.

Such a shame to see how far his football has degraded in style quality and success despite spending large sum's of money. ;)

Agreed sure £117million will only get you a bunch of Squad players these days

I know they had him at games and like I said I'm glad LFC didn't offer or he chose to go elsewhere. At the of the day I don't rate him and never have. So I'm glad he is collecting wages elsewhere and the likes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Its a bit of a brutal article and it pulls no punches but there are some interesting points. I'd have to agree that Klopp would make things very interesting for us.

We're at a point now that a number of managers are becoming available, we have to make some hard decisions. Stick with Rodgers and hope he gets things right while Klopp goes to City this year (or Arsenal next year).

I know they had him at games and like I said I'm glad LFC didn't offer or he chose to go elsewhere. At the of the day I don't rate him and never have. So I'm glad he is collecting wages elsewhere and the likes.

Fair enough but that's not what you said at first

Monaco pay the majority of his wages, I think he's still at least as good as Mignolet but has the added bonus of winning more than Mignolet will in his career. Looking at the Liverpool team without Gerrard there's no winners in there and that kind of experience is invaluable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Just logged on, some 8 hrs later there has been some level of rewriting of history on here!!!

The Rodgers haters have him down as everything from blowing the league last year to being present on the 'grassy knoll' meanwhile Rafa was akin to a has been manager who never really won much anyway.

Honestly all this crap about what rafa won that apparently doesnt really count and this bizarre belief that Rodgers somehow was at fault for us losing the title even though we lost to Chelsea in a game we were in total control of before the Gerrard slip is pathetic to be honest.

Is it any wonder other teams fans take joy in winding us up when you read over the last few pages!

A bit more on Memphis Depay from 'teh' Echo
    In an interview with TalkSport, Dutch journalist Marcel van der Kraan says Liverpool are currently the only club in "official talks" for the player, and revealed that it could cost around £25m to prise him from the Dutch champions.

However the presence of van Gaal in Manchester could sway the Dutchman's decision.

He explained: "The question still is will he go to Man U or Liverpool? Liverpool so far have the strongest contact with the club, they are in official talks - the board of PSV told us that.

"But then Man U first phone call last week made all the alarm bells go off, not just with PSV but with Depay because he will find his former manager there.

"I don't think he will go to Paris although they offer the biggest wage packet. Last summer Spurs wanted to pay 20m euros which is about £15m. PSV wanted to take that but the player chose to wait and the transfer was postponed.

"With the progress the player has made PSV are not willing to accept that figure. They now want £25m and I think they will get that.

"Liverpool have not been scared off by that figure."

This bit would put you off though
    "He's a very eccentric boy, he doesn't talk to the media. He's got his body completely covered in tattoos, he drives a big sports car with a bulldog sitting next to him."

He added: "His temperament is quite intense but there are times where he drifts in and out of games and that is where we worry because in the Premier League you don't get five minutes of breathing time you need to be there all the time.

Sure didn't it take Coutinho a long time until he could last a full 90 minutes?
    That's true alright. I'm a big fan of Can but i was taken aback at how quickly he became tired in that game but, as you say, it may only be 5 or 6 games needed to get him up nearer full fitness in the position.

That's true alright. I'm a big fan of Can but i was taken aback at how quickly he became tired in that game but, as you say, it may only be 5 or 6 games needed to get him up nearer full fitness in the position.

Either that or it could be a case of him feeling a tad bit of fatigue. It can happen at this stage of the season especially if a team isn't on a great run of results.

PSV want around £25m therefore Liverpool will offer £15m and another club will offer £25m and he will go to another club.

PSV want around £25m therefore Liverpool will offer £15m and another club will offer £25m and he will go to another club.

And Rogers will say he didnt want him in the first place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

In official talks for Depay according to the Echo, it would be refreshing if we just paid the asking and sealed it before United even get a chance to buy him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    And Rogers will say he didnt want him in the first place

Thanks for your input. The united thread is that way ---->

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement