Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note in OP 9/4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

rob316 wrote: »
    In official talks for Depay according to the Echo, it would be refreshing if we just paid the asking and sealed it before United even get a chance to buy him.

Its already too late for that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

I'm sure PSV are more than happy that we're in official talks with them. If anything it will only speed up United throwing £25m at them while we pussy foot around offering £10m and a box of Freddos.

We'll fill a library with the amount of paper talk we'll have built up with stories linking him to us but inevitably United will just stroll in and offer what PSV really want and that'll be that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Thanks for your input. The united thread is that way ---->

Whats wrong Rob..... Having a bad day?
    My comment was only meant as banter. I'm not all holier than thou, I love the banter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    And Rogers will say he didnt want him in the first place

So who is Rodgers buying this summer then ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I suspect those who are hostile for Rodgers would be so regardless of a Cup being won.

Meh, I can confirm that wouldn't be the case. I still hold that Dalglish's cup performances in 2012 justified another season. Pushing through and closing the deal in semi finals / finals is a positive sign in terms of how things are progressing and the opposite is true.
    Im not going to discuss what Rafa has done in other leagues because it doesnt matter that he won La Liga 10+ years ago or he won a cup in Italy, that has no bearing on his performance in England.

In his first 2 seasons, he won 2 cups while performing horribly in the league in his first season, the second season was obviously better but still had some poor results. From 2006 to his unjust sacking in 2009 he didnt win a trophy and we had some very embarassing cup performances and exits.

When you look at the players he had at his disposal coupled with the fact that there were only 3 other good sides in the league, top 4 was the very minimum we could expect.

Now compare that to Rodgers who got 2nd last year despite having a much poorer side than Rafa had in 2009(Suarez aside) and having to compete against Chelsea, United, Arsenal, City and their millions and Spurs.

And as for people giving out about Rodgers signings not being good enough. Babel, Josemi, Nunez, Pellegrino, Morientes, Gonzalez, Paletta, Pennant, Dossena, Riera, Keane and Aquilani say hello. I dont care about net spend or anything like that, he signed some absolute **** for our club. I know all about the owners etc etc but the fact is that the majority of them were signed for big money and were flops, each and every one.

The grass isnt always greener and i just wish Liverpool fans would stop living in the past.

Look, let it go. You don't need to try and denigrate Benitez's record in order to prove a point.

Benitez:

1994: 6th
    1995: 8th
    1996: Sacked halfway through season
    1997: Sacked halfway through season
    1998: 2nd (promoted)
    1999: 17th (lost relegation playoff)
    2001: 3rd (promoted)
    2002: 1st
    2003: 5th
    2004: 1st; UEFA Cup
    2005: 5th; Champions League
    2006: 3rd; FA Cup
    2007: 3rd
    2008: 4th
    2009: 2nd
    2010: 7th
    2011: Sacked halfway through season
    2013: 3rd; Europa League
    2014: 3rd; Coppa Italia
    2015: ?

Rodgers:

2009: 13th
    2010: Sacked halfway through season
    2011: 3rd (won promotion playoff)
    2012: 11th
    2013: 7th
    2014: 2nd
    2015: ?

And Benitez also signed Mascherano, Torres, Alonso, Kuyt, Garcia, Agger, Reina in his first three seasons.

==============

I don't know why you're pushing this. Just say you prefer Rodger's football and think he can become a lot better and more consistent. That's okay, it's an argument that has merit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

In official talks for Depay according to the Echo, it would be refreshing if we just paid the asking and sealed it before United even get a chance to buy him.

I fear we will not depay him enough in wages.

I'll get me coat.

So who is Rodgers buying this summer then ?

Ive no idea, why?

But I expect United to sign Depay and Hummels.

Who do you think Rogers will buy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Whats wrong Rob..... Having a bad day?

I pop in the for the odd comment, your putting in a solid 24 hour shift at this stage.

And ya I am having a bad ****ing day :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I totally agree. If klopp is possible then get him.I can't see him coming to liverpool. Other than that back rogers.

We could have got Bony if Borini was sold
    We could have mikharyratrat if they just stumped up the money initially
    We could have got delph in january
    We should have paid the money for betrand. It still would have worked out cheaper than Moreno and he is a lot more solid

Chelsea have probably got rid of their scouting department and are just buying palyes we are going for Costa, willian ,salah.

This club used to be noted for keeping thing in house and on the quiet. We are currently the biggest idiots when it comes to transfers....everyone transfer i can remember has gone on for three weeks giving other teams plenty fo times to stump us nearer the end of the deal.

This team now has no world class players what player of any stature is going to want to play for liverpool next year

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Meh, I can confirm that wouldn't be the case. I still hold that Dalglish's cup performances in 2012 justified another season. Pushing through and closing the deal in semi finals / finals is a positive sign in terms of how things are progressing and the opposite is true.

I don't know why you're pushing this. Just say you prefer Rodger's football and think he can become a lot better and more consistent. That's okay, it's an argument that has merit.

Given the choice right now would you have Kenny back in charge in place of Rodgers?

I dont care about the style of football, i care about results. Something both Rodgers and Rafa have sometimes failed to give us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

We are not signing depay lads, just thought I'd get it out there.

I pop in the for the odd comment, your putting in a solid 24 hour shift at this stage.

And ya I am having a bad ****ing day :P

United Thread is Quiet at the mo like the Arsenal and Chelsea thread

United Thread is Quiet at the mo like the Arsenal and Chelsea thread

I wonder why :(

Unless Klopp was interested I think the club would be better off sticking with Rodgers. Not sure who else would be out there that you would be confident of them doing better than Rodgers. I think we can forget about Rafa. FSG showed no interest the first time. I don't think they would have any interest in him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Fair enough but that's not what you said at first

Monaco pay the majority of his wages, I think he's still at least as good as Mignolet but has the added bonus of winning more than Mignolet will in his career. Looking at the Liverpool team without Gerrard there's no winners in there and that kind of experience is invaluable

Why would Monaco pay any of his wages?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

i care about results. Something both Rodgers and Rafa have sometimes failed to give us.

All managers will sometimes fail to give you results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

DaveSuarez wrote: »
    Why would Monaco pay any of his wages?

He had a pre-contract agreement with them before he got injured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bowlardo wrote: »

This team now has no world class players what player of any stature is going to want to play for liverpool next year

Torres was world class and Liverpool won nothing, Suarez was world class and we won nothing but a League cup and he was not important in that game, didn't even take a peno. And when Liverpool do have such players they are sold to Chelsea, Real Madrid, Barcelona so maybe its best not to have them in the first instance. Like every other non oil club we are now a feeder club for the very best.

Yeah that's the strategy from now on! :pac:

Happy to see there is an announcement coming this week on Henderson's new contract.

A rise from 60k to 100k which he fully deserves. 6 goals and 8 assists this season which is a good return, however I do wish he wasn't played so deep he well has the ability to add to those figures. His stature at the club and on the pitch has risen this season, he will probably never reach the heights of our outgoing captain though unfortunately.

I think he needs to be surrounded with better players in the middle though to really realise his potential. He's more disciplined than Gerrard so he's not looking to bomb forward at every opportunity.

I met Henderson last year out in Newcastle, a friend of mine would know him well enough and he was a great guy I must say. He's a professional footballer and he gave a **** enough to ask me what I do for a living?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Why is Benitez being discussed so much?

Might as well be banging on about Paisley or Shankly for all it will do.

He's gone, and he's not coming back.

If Rodgers is replaced it will likely be with someone like De Beor.

Still, can't for the life of me see him getting the sack this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

0028673 wrote: »
    For some reason this comment reminded me of when SAF called on Liverpool to get rid of Suarez (after the Ivanovic bite) for the good of the club :)

Yeah that always struck me as incredibly hypocritical. When Cantona attacked a fan, The club stuck by him. When Rio missed(failed) a drug test, the club stuck by him. Why is he holding other clubs to a standard that he isn't holding his own?

Whatever your opinion on Suarez was, I didn't like that. It showed him up a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

delw wrote: »
    Or because FSG won't pay top money to replace him

Or because Rodgers has at least matched, if not bettered the aims set out 3 seasons ago.

Rodgers said the target was CL football, which everybody assumed was a 4th or maybe 3rd place finish. He exceeded expectations spectacularly and delivered a title challenge.

This season didn't go as well, but that was to be expected in a project that delivered earlier than expected and losing our star player.

That's what the owners see. Those are the FHACTS. There is no reason, absolutely none, to ditch him at this stage.

We've a manager who has proven nearly everybody wrong up to now, if we get rid now, we'll never find out how good he could be.

I mean how bad will it get for one more season anyway, another 6/7th place finish and 2 cup semi finals or something like that. We'll survive!

On the other hand, we might get something close to last season if we add the necessary 2 or 3 players we need.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Kirby wrote: »
    Yeah that always struck me as incredibly hypocritical. When Cantona attacked a fan, The club stuck by him. When Rio missed(failed) a drug test, the club stuck by him. Why is he holding other clubs to a standard that he isn't holding his own?

Whatever your opinion on Suarez was, I didn't like that. It showed him up a bit.

Ferguson hypocritical? :eek:

Never :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Oh yeah, what's Houllier at these days?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

Kirby wrote: »

To be fair to SAF I think he was being mischievous. Advising Liverpool to ditch their Best player.

I don't want to go over old ground. we all know that he has done some terrible things. However he was a by a distance our best player and we were never likely to get rid of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

K-9 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, what's Houllier at these days?

Head of Global Football for Red Bull which is a cushy number if there ever was one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Torres was world class and Liverpool won nothing, Suarez was world class and we won nothing but a League cup and he was not important in that game, didn't even take a peno. And when Liverpool do have such players they are sold to Chelsea, Real Madrid, Barcelona so maybe its best not to have them in the first instance. Like every other non oil club we are now a feeder club for the very best.

Yeah that's the strategy from now on! :pac:
    That's the stuff, Harry, think positive thoughts:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Head of Global Football for Red Bull which is a cushy number is there ever was one.

What a sweet number!!! I guess that's what 30 years managing at a top level does for you...

He is responsible for Austrian side FC Red Bull Salzburg, Germany's RB Leipzig and the New York Red Bulls from the US as well as the Red Bull Brasil and the Red Bull Ghana academies.

He had a pre-contract agreement with them before he got injured

That doesn't mean they are paying him a penny that could have been an agreement once he passed a medical and well he wouldn't have passed one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

jonny666 wrote: »
    But Rodgers didnt win the league. He bottled it and finished second

I wouldnt say winning 13 out of the last 15 games bottling it, but each to their own

Carry on

• Advertisement

I wouldnt say winning 13 out of the last 15 games bottling it, but each to their own

Carry on

If anything arsenal where the team to bottle the league. They would have made themselves proper challengers with a win at anfield except they really bottled it when the chips where down and got a hiding

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

If anything arsenal where the team to bottle the league. They would have made themselves proper challengers with a win at anfield except they really bottled it when the chips where down and got a hiding

Ah sure United bottled it too by making Moyes manager...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Confirmed bottlers!

I0000k1eQMm8edBo.jpg

article-2596928-1CD5722F00000578-483_634x452.jpg

Nothing changed. Rafa was a great manager for us, he has European pedigree but he made quite a few errors in the league when he was manager of Liverpool, I fail to see how him coming back 6 years later will make anything different. He will still tinker with his teams too much, he will still make head scratching decisions and he will still lose the so-called easier games.

Isnt LVG flying with Utd switching and swapping.....granted thats due to injuries. Fergie also dis the same. Problem is teams have to do this, but Rafa Rodgers and any other LFC mananger over the last 20 years didnt have the squad depth to get away with it

So basically - we did did well last year, all down to Suarez and very little credit to Rodgers.
    We did badly this year, all down to Rodgers and very little blame to the players.

Damned either way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

The 2-2 draw at home against Sunderland was crucial for City. I think the keeper who had played a blinder left in an awful goal (much like the Reading Keeper at the weekend). That gave City an extra point which was vital, as a win against Palace would have sufficed rather than trying to score double figures in the game.

City won their next 5 games on the bounce and deserved the Title. No complaints here..

If we're doing the whole bottling thing.. In fairness United must have kicked themselves when City won their first league...

8 points up with 6 games to go..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Carry on

Top of the table with 4 games to go, and end up as runners up is a bottle job. Not knowing how to play for a draw against Chelsea showed how out of his depth Rodgers is. Why the heck was Gerrard the deepest player at that unfortunate moment when he slipped? Every other player bar Skrtel was in the Chelsea half while we were knocking it around, fcuking ameteur stuff.

Top of the table with 4 games to go, and end up as runners up is a bottle job. Not knowing how to play for a draw against Chelsea showed how out of his depth Rodgers is. Why the heck was Gerrard the deepest player at that unfortunate moment when he slipped? Every other player bar Skrtel was in the Chelsea half while we were knocking it around, fcuking ameteur stuff.

That was the tactic all last season :confused:

I suppose it was Rodgers fault that Gerrard took his eye off a simple pass from Sakho and slipped.

Why should we have played for a draw, when we were playing so well at that stage? We didn't know what results we'd get elsewhere, so we were after a win. Up to the goal, we were the more threatening.

It was a freak slip, not a tactical error. Any player can make a mistake any time, Arsenal are in the FA Cup Final for that same reason. Absolutely ZERO to do with Rodgers tactics!

• Advertisement

Dickerty wrote: »
    So basically - we did did well last year, all down to Suarez and very little credit to Rodgers.
    We did badly this year, all down to Rodgers and very little blame to the players.

Damned either way...

After the level of money they spent LVG has no excuses on anything. 120 million net so he has to at least deliver champions league or it's a failure

Why should we have played for a draw, when we were playing so well at that stage? We didn't know what results we'd get elsewhere, so we were after a win. Up to the goal, we were the more threatening.

It was a freak slip, not a tactical error. Any player can make a mistake any time, Arsenal are in the FA Cup Final for that same reason. Absolutely ZERO to do with Rodgers tactics!

We could have played that game until last July and if Gerrard doesnt slip, neither team would have scored.

Its the way be played all season, and it worked....Why would you play for a draw against an almost second choice Chelsea team...they had a CB making his debut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

We were playing at breakneck speed and it was unnecessary. A win was unnecessary. Gerrard and Sahko were the last two back and they were pretty close to the half way line. Why?

Its the way be played all season, and it worked....Why would you play for a draw against an almost second choice Chelsea team...they had a CB making his debut.

Its not about playing for a draw, its about playing a sensible game. There was no need to go for the jugular. It might have been boring but IMO it would have been the sensible thing to so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

brevity wrote: »
    Its not about playing for a draw, its about playing a sensible game. There was no need to go for the jugular. It might have been boring but IMO it would have been the sensible thing to so.

What would you think the reaction would have been if after putting 11 teams in a row to the sword playing free flowing attacking football ,if we sat back and defended ,only for chelsea to knick a goal in the second half

Hindsight is 20-20 , Chelsea played to get to half time goalless ,you have no idea what Mourinhos plan was for the second half if it went in 0-0.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

What would you think the reaction would have been if after putting 11 teams in a row to the sword playing free flowing attacking football ,if we sat back and defended ,only for chelsea to knick a goal in the second half

Hindsight is 20-20 , Chelsea played to get to half time goalless ,you have no idea what Mourinhos plan was for the second half if it went in 0-0.

If Liverpool had played for the draw and conceded a goal these same posters would have loved that, at least then they'd have a stronger argument against Rodgers rather than clutching at straws that somehow he was to blame for Gerrards slip. There's no talking sense to these people, they won't have it.

Imagine Liverpool had approached the Chelsea game and played for a draw and Chelsea had nicked a 1-0 win from a set-piece. Corner, header, goal. Rodgers would have been absolutely crucified for changing everything that had been working. The truth is no Gerrard slip then that game almost certainly finishes 0-0.

I just think an experienced manager would have handled it differently. It might be fair to say an experienced manager wouldn't have played the exciting football that Rodgers had the team playing throughout the season.

Its OK to play cautiously sometimes...this is where tactics come into play. Judging the situation and the team in front of you. Not necessarily playing the way you would always play with a view to getting a different result.

I know people will focus on the slip but there were other factors involved as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

I have been reading the thread over the last few days following a very disappointing day on Sunday. some of the stuff being spouted in ridiculous. We are not like Liverpool of old, but i do genuinely believe the owners are in it for the long haul and are intent in using their model to not only make money but also to win trophies. Its early to say if it will work but it is a model that needs time ( young players growing together as a team, with some additions each year ). Now last year was different there was a large turnover of players, but i don't see that this year. I see a good foundation for a good team. Obviously need recruitment with Gerrard, johnson, and anything up to 3 strikers possibly/hopefully leaving ( and maybe sterling, however i think he will stay ). I am quietly optimistic about next year even though i am very disappointed about this season, but i do think Rodgers should and will be given next year and i think it is the correct decision. I believe we need competition for Mignolet, not sure who we can get that is established but i think Cech would be great for a year or two and i think he is gettable and probably should be number one. It would only help Mignolet having him there. In defence sakho, skrtel, lovren/toure ( as back-up only ), and wisdom and llori should get their chance and the option of Can is enough with one quality addition. At right back i think we should go for trippier from burnley, have been really impressed with him this year and i think he would suit as an wing back, not too expensive and relatively young ( FSG type ). I also think moreno will only get better with another year under his belt, and do see similar signs to riise in him when riise first came to anfield. In midfield i think we should go all out for another FSG type in Klaassen of ajax, again i think he is gettable and i think he is gonna be one hell of a player. with lucas, allen, henderson, can + academy and other attacking midfield options we should be ok. Up front is the problem and needs investment. Hopefully borini, balo and lambert go. We have origi, sturridge as main strikers. Really believe benteke is mobile enough to suit our style of play, and would be a great addition. And maybe ings as back up and hopefully sinclair and yesil can come through. and with sterling, coutinho, lallana, markovic, ibe i think we can look forward to next year with some hope, although any possibility of getting in a top quality/world class player for any position should be chased intensively. Sorry for the long post but i dont think it is all doom and gloom. I will keep believing we are on the right track.
    Liverpool 2015/16

Cech

Llori/Can---skrtel
    sakho
    Tripper
    Can/Lucas
    Moreno
    Klaassen
    Henderson

Coutinho/Sterling/Lallana

Benteke/Sturridge

Other Options - Ibe, Enrique, toure, Lovren, Allen, sinclair, Teixeira, yesil, + academy break throughs

JB81 wrote: »
    I have been reading the thread over the last few days following a very disappointing day on Sunday. some of the stuff being spouted in ridiculous. We are not like Liverpool of old, but i do genuinely believe the owners are in it for the long haul and are intent in using their model to not only make money but also to win trophies. Its early to say if it will work but it is a model that needs time ( young players growing together as a team, with some additions each year ). Now last year was different there was a large turnover of players, but i don't see that this year. I see a good foundation for a good team. Obviously need recruitment with Gerrard, johnson, and anything up to 3 strikers possibly/hopefully leaving ( and maybe sterling, however i think he will stay ). I am quietly optimistic about next year even though i am very disappointed about this season, but i do think Rodgers should and will be given next year and i think it is the correct decision. I believe we need competition for Mignolet, not sure who we can get that is established but i think Cech would be great for a year or two and i think he is gettable and probably should be number one. It would only help Mignolet having him there. In defence sakho, skrtel, lovren/toure ( as back-up only ), and wisdom and llori should get their chance and the option of Can is enough with one quality addition. At right back i think we should go for trippier from burnley, have been really impressed with him this year and i think he would suit as an wing back, not too expensive and relatively young ( FSG type ). I also think moreno will only get better with another year under his belt, and do see similar signs to riise in him when riise first came to anfield. In midfield i think we should go all out for another FSG type in Klaassen of ajax, again i think he is gettable and i think he is gonna be one hell of a player. with lucas, allen, henderson, can + academy and other attacking midfield options we should be ok. Up front is the problem and needs investment. Hopefully borini, balo and lambert go. We have origi, sturridge as main strikers. Really believe benteke is mobile enough to suit our style of play, and would be a great addition. And maybe ings as back up and hopefully sinclair and yesil can come through. and with sterling, coutinho, lallana, markovic, ibe i think we can look forward to next year with some hope, although any possibility of getting in a top quality/world class player for any position should be chased intensively. Sorry for the long post but i dont think it is all doom and gloom. I will keep believing we are on the right track.
    Liverpool 2015/16

Cech

Llori/Can---skrtel
    sakho
    Tripper
    Can/Lucas
    Moreno
    Klaassen
    Henderson

Coutinho/Sterling/Lallana

Benteke/Sturridge

Other Options - Ibe, Enrique, toure, Lovren, Allen, sinclair, Teixeira, yesil, + academy break throughs

I think i need to go to an Optician

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement