Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note in OP 9/4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    I think i need to go to an Optician

Well, no rush back ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I think you need to up your game on this thread, its pretty obvious the players with a / between them are options for a given position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

I think you need to up your game on this thread, its pretty obvious the players with a / between them are options for a given position.

Probably referring to lack of paragraphs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Like it or not Mourinho is a tactical master at those type of games regardless of how weak a team he puts out. I always felt it would be where we would fall and we did. Its pathetic saying Rodgers bottled it, no other manager would have gotten us even into a position to win the title that season.
    We conceded a lot of goals which ultimately was our downfall but we destroyed a lot of teams in a manner no other Liverpool manager has replicated since the 80's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The issue with the Chelsea game was not about tactical approach, but rather our mentality. In that sense we proved horribly naive and ill focussed: as Chelsea sat back, time wasted from the first whistle and were content to let the game happen we allowed it to get into our heads. Witness the frustration of the players trying to get the ball back for a quick throw in or pushing forward with more urgency than necessary - all at 0 - 0 in the first half.

We were right to take the field with the formation and personnel that had served us well but the message needed to be 'calm, calm, calm'. We needed patience and a sense of the bigger picture. We didn't and we got ****ed. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Why feel the need to make the dickish comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The issue with the Chelsea game was not about tactical approach, but rather our mentality. In that sense we proved horribly naive and ill focussed: as Chelsea sat back, time wasted from the first whistle and were content to let the game happen we allowed it to get into our heads. Witness the frustration of the players trying to get the ball back for a quick throw in or pushing forward with more urgency than necessary - all at 0 - 0 in the first half.

We were right to take the field with the formation and personnel that had served us well but the message needed to be 'calm, calm, calm'. We needed patience and a sense of the bigger picture. We didn't and we got ****ed. :(
    we were doing fine until Gerrard slipped though.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

MD1990 wrote: »

The sense of frustration was palpable from the players and the crowd with the time wasting tactics from the off. It obviously proved the right way to go about frustrating the hell out of us to get the 3 points, but Lloyd is correct when he says the composure was not there that day.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Absolutely, Chelsea had no interest in playing whatsoever until he slipped. I recall one of their fullbacks wasting time with a throw in after about 10 minutes, it was perfect spoiling tactics and no doubt Jose was hoping to nick a goal through a set piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Rodgers isnt going to get sacked and liverpool arent going to sign depay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

It's funny how the past gets rewritten depending on your feelings towards the main players and people involved.

In the Chelsea game we actually attacked less than we had in any other game that season. There has been rubbish written about how we should have been more patient etc etc, did people actually watch the game?

Everything was going fine until that slip. As the match went on Chelsea at nil nil would have needed to come out more and attack which would have suited us.

Unfortunately with that slip everything changed, Chelsea had their goal and it was tailor made for them after that. I'm fully confident had it been nil nil coming up to 65/70 mins we would have at least got a point, Chelsea's needed to win and push forward and last season we were lethal on the break.

There was an element of panic from us also, we allowed ourselves to get frustrated after that goal. We were controlled up until then. Just one of those things unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Top of the table with 4 games to go, and end up as runners up is a bottle job. Not knowing how to play for a draw against Chelsea showed how out of his depth Rodgers is. Why the heck was Gerrard the deepest player at that unfortunate moment when he slipped? Every other player bar Skrtel was in the Chelsea half while we were knocking it around, fcuking ameteur stuff.

I will never understand this thinking. Winning all but 2 games for the second half of the season is a bottle job? Losing to Chelsea is a bottle job? It's not like they are relegation fodder.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Been a aggressive air about this thread these last few weeks..very noticible..

Standard chartered announced a 3yr extension to their sponsorship deal today, sees us through to the end of 18/19 season. Hopefully a few more shillings in the coffers for the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Agreed sure £117million will only get you a bunch of Squad players these days

"If you spend more than £100 million, you expect to be challenging for the league."

Apparently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Standard chartered announced a 3yr extension to their sponsorship deal today, sees us through to the end of 18/19 season. Hopefully a few more shillings in the coffers for the summer.

If it covers most of Johnson's wages I'll be happy enough with that.

• Advertisement

Standard Chartered extend shirt deal until Summer 2019 estimated at about 30 million a season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Standard Chartered extend shirt deal until Summer 2019 estimated at about 30 million a season.
    Is that an increase or just extending on the same terms?

Is that an increase or just extending on the same terms?

Hopefully an increase, we are certainly a more exciting business prospect than when they took over main sponsorship originally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Been a aggressive air about this thread these last few weeks..very noticible..

Shut your face.

Isn't it funny after the weekend just gone how we have news such as the new sponsorship deal, the Hendo deal along with stories of the manager having at least 30m plus sales to spend!!

All very timely isn't it

I mean we have have spent an average of around £30m net per season since they took over which obviously includes sales. It now it's at least £30m plus sales!!

FSG controlling us and our expectations since 2010!

I mean they are trying their best aren't they? I mean they tried to get us world class players which may have made a difference but it wasn't their fault that we couldn't get them!!!

Funny I get a feeling that if they do get rid of Rodgers we might get a few stories of how they tried to get a world class replacement as manager but it just fell short but it wasn't their fault while thy unveil another manager with huge potential with a raft of young players on low wages with huge potential.

Or maybe I'm just been cynical in my old age!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

The standard Chartered deal is an increase. Previous deal was £20m per season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

An extra £10 million a year, cool.

And that's Sterlings wage increase paid for a month anyway:pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think there was an interim increase for this season to 25m as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

30m plus sales wouldn't fill me with confidence. Very little room for error in the market if that's true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Sure we should have 50 million to spend on 1 world class striker and a decent back up keeper.
    Lucas has never won a trophy. I like the chap and all but i think he has a hoodoo on him.
    Allen is piss

Squad Transfer out\Leaving £ in Transfer in\Returning £ out Brad Jones Simon Mignolet Dejan Lovren Glen Johnson (free) Wisdom Mamadou Sakho Jose Enrique 4 one of Coleman/Betrand/Clyne 15 Alberto Moreno Kolo Toure (free) Ilori Javi Manquillo Ryan McLaughlin Martin Skrtel Jon Flanagan Jordan Henderson Steven Gerrard (Free) Panjec (35 Million) 35 Emre Can Lucas 5 Cameron Brannagan Joe Allen 7 Delph (15-20 million) 20 Jordan Rossiter Raheem Stering 40 Philippe Coutinho Rickie Lambert 1 Texeria(Returning) Adam Lallana Fabio Borini 9 Jordon Ibe Mario Balotelli 12 Lazar Markovic Alberto ( 5 million) 5 Daniel Sturridge Origi Aspas 5 Samed Yesil OJO 88,000,000 70,000,000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Great, more money for Rodgers to waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

FSG have done a good job with Liverpool since 2010. We spent over 100m poorly last summer which is not there fault. I blame Ayre,The Commitee & Rodgers not FSG.

FSG have done a good job with Liverpool since 2010. We spent over 100m poorly last summer which is not there fault. I blame Ayre,The Commitee & Rodgers not FSG.

FSG have to be partially blamed. Its their transfer policy that the committee is carrying out. A policy that no other top club in the league has to work with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

In today's market 30m is not a huge ammount of money, especially when you consider we need a RB, CM, STx2, GK.

"If you spend more than £100 million, you expect to be challenging for the league."

Apparently.

I was waiting for this quote again.

You'd swear another manager never publically added a bit of pressure to another manager of a rival club. That's all it is, some of ye take so much of the **** Rodgers says to heart, its ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

rob316 wrote: »
    FSG have to be partially blamed. Its their transfer policy that the committee is carrying out. A policy that no other top club in the league has to work with.

Arsenal operated like this for a decade and still kept themselves in the top 4 as Chelsea, United and City threw buckets of money around. Arsenal never spent 100 million in a single window like Liverpool did and they managed to stay competitive. They won f*ck all, but they stayed competitive.

Kirby wrote: »
    Arsenal operated like this for a decade and still kept themselves in the top 4 as Chelsea, United and City threw buckets of money around. Arsenal never spent 100 million in a single window like Liverpool did and they managed to stay competitive. They won f*ck all, but they stayed competitive.

Different times, you had one oil club then now you have 2. Its not a workable policy the competition for Top 4 is far greater.

You'd swear that it was fair to compare Liverpool in 2014/5 under Rodgers and Arsenal in 2010-2014 under Wenger. Its not, unless you are willing to take account of the differences your views are foolish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

You'd swear that it was fair to compare Liverpool in 2014/5 under Rodgers and Arsenal in 2010-2014 under Wenger. Its not, unless you are willing to take account of the differences your views are foolish.

:confused: But....I'm......not comparing under those criteria. Didn't you read the post? Frankly I'm amazed anybody thanked your post because it makes no sense. Where are you plucking those arbitrary dates from exactly?

Edit : Never mind. It's Turtyturd. I get it now. No longer amazed.

:confused: But....I'm......not comparing under those criteria. Didn't you read the post? Frankly I'm amazed anybody thanked your post because it makes no sense. Where are you plucking those arbitrary dates from exactly?

Wenger is better manager than Rodgers through sheer experience, the dosh sunk into City has had its cumulative effect now, when Arsenal were dealing with the costs of moving to Ashburton Grove City were still newly minted upstarts and the effects were not seen as they thrashed about with Mark Hughes and the early Mancini era.

In other news Skrtel and Ibe deals to be finalised shortly it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

We didn't blow our wad last summer surely.

89m in sales. 30m from the CL. Whatever they would have spent anyway... 20m..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

I'd of sold Henderson to City for big money presumably. Buy a pure DM and move Coutinho back into midfield. Henderson just lacks that extra quality you need in the middle of the park if you want to win things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

bur wrote: »
    I'd of sold Henderson to City for big money presumably. Buy a pure DM and move Coutinho back into midfield. Henderson just lacks that extra quality you need in the middle of the park if you want to win things.

Henderson is exactly the type of player you keep a hold of to win things. Selling our best midfielder is nonsensical. We should be shipping out all the lesser options and providing more top quality ones beside Henderson. If we somehow get lucky enough that he's not good enough for a starting position at that point, then we have a great first team, and great backup.

We lack quality and experience in enough positions as it is - we really shouldn't be selling what little of those attributes we have unless really forced to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It is the policy of FSG that the Club is following. They sold our best player last summer and spent £38m net, Liverpool fans think they are great because we spent £100m when in fact it wasnt that at all, it was the £38m net minus the money they had earmarked for the winter transfer window but fcuked it up when trying to get Salah and Konoplyanka. FSG deal in a January to December Financial year, we had £20m to spend last January which wasnt spent and spent £38m net in the summer, so in reality a whole £18m. Yet fans think they are great, like i said controlling us and our expectations since 2010

Its FSG that put the committee, Ayre and Rodgers in the roles they have so of course its their fault. Its their systems in place with wages etc that are the reason we lose out on players. Sanchez/Willian/Costa/Mikhitaryan/Salah etc etc, the list goes on.

They adopted a committee system similar to the one at Bayern but forgot one crucial thing, in Bayern a player isnt signed unless everyone on the Committee including the manager agrees, it needs to be unaminous yet we sign player on a majority vote, it doesnt make sense.

They admitted themselves that they dont know anything about football yet refused to surround themselves with experienced people to help out.

FSG are no different to Hicks and Gillet, they are just better/smarter businessmen, thats all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Jon Stark wrote: »
    Hasn't Immobile had a poor season?

Smoke and Mirrors they are using this for talks with someone else at the club :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Jon Stark wrote: »
    Hasn't Immobile had a poor season?

Thought we'd have our fill of immobile strikers after Mario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Smoke and Mirrors they are using this for talks with someone else at the club :pac:

Marco Reus to be the Liverpool manager next season. You heard it here first.

• Advertisement

punk_one82 wrote: »
    Marco Reus to be the Liverpool manager next season. You heard it here first.

Player manager we need him as the starting right back:P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement