Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note in OP 9/4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Pjanic in the disco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

klose wrote: »
    Playing depay at wing back would be a horrendous idea (not that we are signing him....)

Not too keen on wasting Sterling there much more either, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

Dependant on if sterling throws a strop and publicly states he wants to leave or a bid comes in for him from one of the "big clubs", I can see our midfield/forward line looking like this realistically:

Henderson----Pjanic (30m)
    Sterling/Ibe----Coutinho
    Bolasie (18m)
    Berahino (20m)

If we honestly blew about 68m on those 3, there'd be serious questions asked but we've paid as much before so I can unfortunately see it happening again when/if we don't sign the likes of Depay, Milner, Illaremendi and so on.

EDIT: Included Pjanic in centre mid to accommodate all of the above but realistically it would be Pjanic in the CAM position and Coutinho pushed wide if both are to play together and a defensive mid would have to be brought in unless Can gets moved back to DM where he belongs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

klose wrote: »
    Playing depay at wing back would be a horrendous idea (not that we are signing him....)

I agree totally we have been playing to many players out of position this season we can't be doing that again.

Colemania wrote: »
    Dependant on if sterling throws a strop and publicly states he wants to leave or a bid comes in for him from one of the "big clubs", I can see our midfield/forward line looking like this realistically:

Sterling/Ibe----Coutinho
    Bolasie (18m)
    Berahino (20m)

If we honestly blew about 68m on those 3, there'd be serious questions asked but we've paid as much before so I can unfortunately see it happening again when/if we don't sign the likes of Depay, Milner, Illaremendi and so on.

I'd be worried if that was our team, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Knex. wrote: »
    Depay and Illarramendi would be fantastic signings imo. However, I do feel that we may be left disappointed with Depay, ala Sanchez, etc

Me too, I think Utd are strong favourites.

Let's hope we have a back-up plan this time around.

brevity wrote: »

;)

Brendan Rodgers
    Our ambition is to be better and plan forward, that means bringing in players in the summer. Plans to do that are well underway

I wouldn't put Depay on the same level as Sanchez myself. Liverpool would be a step up for him.

So would I. I never said it was good by the way in case anyone thinks that but ya......we'd be going backwards with that team.

Honestly, I've supported Rodgers from day one and still do BUT if we had the opportunity to get Klopp to take over the reins, it would be very hard to not be happy with that. Can't see it happening anyway so will continue to support the manager and hopefully we have a good summer of transfer activity

Sterling/Ibe----Coutinho
    Bolasie (18m)
    Berahino (20m)

This is just a general point really not anything against that team.

So buy Berahino who has already done the same as Sterling and thrown a strop publicly about wanting out of his club and more money and shares the same agent as Sterling.

What happens when he gets bored in a season or two and wants out for more money or a move to London.

So we can't really complain about Sterling wanting out of Liverpool if we go and sign a player doing the same thing to get a move.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bolaise is now being rated as a 60m pound player by Pardew, I'll assume he is part joking and partly making a point. A point we should be happy to agree with!
    Sport Witness
    @Sport_Witness

Depay twist. PSV star has or will hold round table talks with Liverpool. Doing a mini European tour

Bolaise is now being rated as a 60m pound player by Pardew, I'll assume he is part joking and partly making a point. A point we should be happy to agree with!

He has first hand experience of us paying 35m for Andy Carroll. No wonder he's saying 60m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Bring on August!

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Bring on August!

How are the drugs things, good Sir?

brevity wrote: »

I think he will end up at Utd as well the one thing in our favour might be time I think Utd will try for Bale first and that could drag on for the whole summer.

So if and it's not Like Liverpool to do it move fast and put a proper offer on the table we might just get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Bolasie has one hit wonder written all over him. No thanks, Berahino is no better than ings or austin, two guys id prefer over him and would cost a lot less.

We don't need another guy with potential we need a 20 goal a season man. Signing them is another matter altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Quick question Liverpool fans - how nailed on is Moreno to start? I am considering bringing him in to my fantasy football side but I am worried about his gametime. Thanks

That would be the least of your worries tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

What is Emre Can's song/chant ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I see sky have done an Ultimate league table for past 50 years

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9817599/liverpool-lead-manchester-united-arsenal-everton-and-tottenham-in-ultimate-league

3294057.jpg

Just shows which teams have come out of no where in recent seasons, and which teams have dropped away into lower leagues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

It seems strange that we're even in for another winger this Summer. You'd think that would be the last position in the squad that we would be targeting.

DaveSuarez wrote: »
    It seems strange that we're even in for another winger this Summer. You'd think that would be the last position in the squad that we would be targeting.

Agree unless one of the current wide men is offski. Otherwise the primary purchases speak for themselves - CM, FW, RB, GK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Sterling/Ibe----Coutinho
    Bolasie (18m)
    Berahino (20m)
    Isn't all the talk of Bolasie just coming from Crystal Palace? I would be very surprised if the club are actually interested, I would think an offer for Jay Rodriguez is more likely. Without Champions League qualification Pjanic won't leave Roma. Milner and Illaremendi are the most realistic options for midfield.

This is just a general point really not anything against that team.

So buy Berahino who has already done the same as Sterling and thrown a strop publicly about wanting out of his club and more money and shares the same agent as Sterling.

What happens when he gets bored in a season or two and wants out for more money or a move to London.

So we can't really complain about Sterling wanting out of Liverpool if we go and sign a player doing the same thing to get a move.

Well I feel that we'd be signing him as a late panic buy where west brom can name their price a la Carroll and Balotelli in recent seasons. Hopefully we use the approach used for Moreno whereby we refused to bid what Sevilla wanted and eventually got Sevilla to meet the price we were willing to pay. Now that only works if there's not much interest in the player as some clubs would gladly pay the clubs asking price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

My team for West Brom

Mignolet
    Manquillo
    Skrtel----Lovren
    Moreno
    Can
    Henderson----Coutinho
    Ibe
    Balotelli
    Sterling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

murpho999 wrote: »
    So could I not say that Ferguson was only successful because of Ronaldo, or Keane etc? You can't blame a manager for having good players.

Also, they finished 2nd last year (should have been 1st) so even if Utd had been strong last season wouldn't Liverpool have finished in Top 4 anyway.

Ferguson remained successful throughout his utd career, utd never dropped back to 5th because a player left. It's not comparible st all.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I hope those transfer plans involve manking sure our default formation next season involves a back 4 and no wing backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

DaveSuarez wrote: »

You can never have enough quality in forward areas.

It's much easier to "make do" in other positions with rotation/formation changes, as we have done this season with *some* success.

But if you are lacking goals/quality up front you're just in trouble.

If we sign a top forward this summer, who will score 20 goals next season, then everything else is a bonus.

5starpool wrote: »
    I hope those transfer plans involve manking sure our default formation next season involves a back 4 and no wing backs.

Our best run of the season came with wing-backs and a back 3, I'm sure it will be an option next season

Our best run of the season came with wing-backs and a back 3, I'm sure it will be an option next season

It doesn't mean it's the way we should play next season. While there are clearly advantages as well as disadvantages, I think it's better all round if teams play with a back 4 more often. It might be the way to play in certain games and it's good to have flexibility, but overall I think less players play out of position when there is a flat back 4. we may have kept more clean sheets with 3 centre backs, but it doesn't mean they were defensively assured performances all round either.

Agree unless one of the current wide men is offski. Otherwise the primary purchases speak for themselves - CM, FW, RB, GK.

Surely CB is a priority?

I would like Flanno back at RB/ RWB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Apparently its along the lines of
    "Emre, Emre, Emre Chan
    Emre Chan, Emre Chan"

I'd much prefer
    " Don't we love you Emre,
    Don't we love you, Ooooooh"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Surely CB is a priority?

The question is who to bring in at cb, Lovren was the answer last summer not many could have predicted the way it would go for him as his form at Southampton was good.

Signing someone else is no guaranteed fix. I would be tempted to stick than spend more money on a twist, We are crying out for a top class DM imo and would prefer the money spent there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

It doesn't mean it's the way we should play next season. While there are clearly advantages as well as disadvantages, I think it's better all round if teams play with a back 4 more often. It might be the way to play in certain games and it's good to have flexibility, but overall I think less players play out of position when there is a flat back 4. we may have kept more clean sheets with 3 centre backs, but it doesn't mean they were defensively assured performances all round either.

They are very similar formations anyway so wouldn't take too much adjustment, Its essentially the DM dropping in and playing as the last man, All the other positions are fairly standard.

Surely CB is a priority?

There is no way on Gods earth that FSG will be spending on another CB, it'll be Ilori back (or maybe with a half season loan at a promoted club say) and keep Can in the back line until 2016/17 I reckon.

Scouse Cafu is out of contract in the summer and there has been no noise at all about his future so you'd have to wonder. I see Barca are trying to keep Dani Alves on for one more season, he is also free to leave and I'd take him as a 1-2 season player.

I'll be really pissed off if Flanagan is allowed go. The kid was brilliant for us before he got injured.

I was listening to Paul O'Connell the other day and he was making the point that people who play for their hometown clubs are a massive asset. They give their all and inspire those around them. Flanno has that but he is also a nifty player in his own right, he's a tough little bastard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Apparently its along the lines of
    "Emre, Emre, Emre Chan
    Emre Chan, Emre Chan"

I'd much prefer
    " Don't we love you Emre,
    Don't we love you, Ooooooh"

Someone posted a quite brilliant set of lyrics to go with that song and Emre a few months back.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94157381&postcount=7112

EDIT:

It was Sappy the magnificent bastard.
    You were playing in the midfield of a **** German team
    When we found you
    We picked you out and signed you, gave you Carragher's shirt
    It looks so much better on you

Can... Emre Can
    You know they don't believe us when we say you'll replace Stevie
    Can... Emre Can
    I talk about you so, my missus says that she might leave me

For midfield you were signed
    But Brendan changed his mind
    The smartest bit of business since Philippe Coutinho...

and then chorus of
    Don't you want me, Emre,
    Don't you want me, ohhh.

I'm still taking full creative rights and royalties for the above.

But seriously, a much better Emre Chant than the one they're saying is going to be used.

They are very similar formations anyway so wouldn't take too much adjustment, Its essentially the DM dropping in and playing as the last man, All the other positions are fairly standard.

I disagree. Look at the use of Henderson, Ibe, Markovic especially at wing back at various times this season. They are not full backs/wing backs by any definition, and while all did ok at certain aspects, it did show that they certainly lacked in certain areas. Markovic looked uncertain defending, Henderson was much less effective than usual, and Ibe, well Ibe was pretty good in the limited appearances he had.

Even Moreno, who is a full back nominally looked much more exposed, and while the extra CB in theory covers it doesn't work as effectively. Full backs are much more attacking normally now than what was expected 20+ years ago, but defending is still their key responsibility.

I just think personally a settled back 4 is my preference, but we need some protection from midfield as well for it to work, especially with the personnel we have available at the back, but I don't think 3-5-2 is the answer long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Surely CB is a priority?

I doubt it.

Striker, CM and RB all ahead of another centre-half I would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Anyone heading to legends game tomorrow at Wayside's ground?
    I'm bringing my son and a bunch of his buddies for his birthday.
    Any news on who has traveled?

http://www.suicideorsurvive.ie/liverpool-legends-to-play-charity-match-for-suicide-or-survive/
    Liverpool Legends –V- Borough Legends Tony Ryan Cup

Some of Liverpool’s greatest ever stars are set to play in a once off charity match against Borough Legends on Saturday 25th April 2015. All money raised from the event will go to SOS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

noodler wrote: »
    I thought Sky or someone did a back of the envelope calculation on this and said it would take longer than a year.

Yeah I think England are still a good bit away from losing their 4 CL places. Although they won't want to have another few seasons like the last couple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Although they won't want to have another few seasons like the last couple.

the standard of the premier league is awful right now. the top english sides are as far away from the big 3-4 in europe as they have been in two decades. we have the likes of chelsea and arsenal getting well beat by the second tier sides...the same teams liverpool/chelsea/man utd would have blown away 6-7 years ago.

Another season where Italian and English teams perform the same as this season and it'll be close considering that a better performing English seasons will be removed from the equation.

Another season where Italian and English teams perform the same as this season and it'll be close considering that a better performing English seasons will be removed from the equation.

Italy will also likely have a 4th CL team next season if Napoli or Fiorentina win the EL, so more opportunity to gain points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

To anyone suggesting Bolasie for 18 million...............

**** **** ****ITY OFF.

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Wouldn't take Bolasie for £8million. Not good enough, never going to be good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Wouldn't take Bolasie for £8million. Not good enough, never going to be good enough.

He scored a hat trick once you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Bolasie is being mentioned because he played well against Liverpool. It's a matter of time before it's Grealish and Delph. Happens every window, same as the semi-annual Ashley Williams and Salomon Kalou links.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Bolasie is being mentioned because he played well against Liverpool. It's a matter of time before it's Grealish and Delph. Happens every window, same as the semi-annual Ashley Williams and Salomon Kalou links.

Id have Delph before Bolasie though

• Advertisement

Id have Delph before Bolasie though

I'd have my grannie's delft before both of them.

Standards must be higher.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement