Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note in OP 9/4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Nainggolan is playing great for Roma in recent weeks. He would be an immense fo us or anyone. Probably out of reach for us now though.

His record at Valencia was brilliant, but he never really succeeded in the league at Liverpool, Inter, Napoli.

Don't get me wrong, he's a top manager and when we played in Europe, I always believed we would win because his tactics were spectacular, but our league form was never outstanding aside from '08, and we drew too many games.

League form was good under Benitez. Broke 80 points twice and CL qualification was hit every season bar his last

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Vicxas wrote: »
    Ian ayre leaving!? Since when?

I read it or heard that recently that is why I said maybe. It maybe his role is changing but I think it was he is leaving.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

rarnes1 wrote: »
    League form was good under Benitez. Broke 80 points twice and the CL qualification was hit every season bar the last

There were plenty of days like today under Rafa too, don't forget that. Top 4 was the very minimum of what we should have been achieving back then with the players at his disposal and City not having a pot to piss in. Rafa had 6 seasons in charge, in 2 of them he failed to finish in the top 4. He probably should have done better all things considered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Villa did us a favour tonight by losing imo, could you imagine the Monday meltdown if City had lost and we only drew.

Terrible performance today from Rodgers, Sterling, Balotelli, Gerrard, Johnson and Henderson.
    Borini is a better option up front than Mario, neither can score but at least Borini shows for the ball and makes runs and is in the box and doesn't shot from 30-40 yards out.

Roll on August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The U18s beat Derby 2-3 away, two goals from Toni Gomes and one from Callum Nicholas

More Depay guff
    Mohamed Seif
    @MohSeif

#LFC have promised the player full playing time. #mufc have only inquired about Depay and said to 'inform' about developments. #mufc

followed by
    Mohamed Seif
    @MohSeif

This indicates that #United could possibly be going after a big name winger, hence putting Depay as a second option.

he quotes his source as being Marcel van der Kraan who writes for Der Telegraaf and is Talksports Dutch correspondent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

There were plenty of days like today under Rafa too, don't forget that. Top 4 was the very minimum of what we should have been achieving back then with the players at his disposal and City not having a pot to piss in. Rafa had 6 seasons in charge, in 2 of them he failed to finish in the top 4. He probably should have done better all things considered.

He missed out on his first year but that year finished ok in the end.

Utd will go for Bale and Depay will be second choice.

The Bale transfer will drag on all summer so if we want Depay we need to get the deal done quickly as soon as the window opens no low balling sh1t pay the going rate which is around the £25m mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

• Advertisement

Utd will go for Bale and Depay will be second choice.

The Bale transfer will drag on all summer so if we want Depay we need to get the deal done quickly as soon as the window opens no low balling sh1t pay the going rate which is around the £25m mark.

Hopefully we won't offer bottom-rate wages either, or else PSG will swipe him.

Depay and Lacazette would be incredible signings.

A front 4 of Sterling (if he stays), Phil, Memphis and Lacazette/Sturridge would terrorise defences.

niallo27 wrote: »
    He missed out on his first year but that year finished ok in the end.

We're talking about league performances, not European.

Hopefully we won't offer bottom-rate wages either, or else PSG will swipe him.

Depay and Lacazette would be incredible signings.

A front 4 of Sterling (if he stays), Phil, Memphis and Lacazette/Sturridge would terrorise defences.

If Depay signs, it means Sterling is gone IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Those two seasons were his first, when we won the European Cup, and his last when there was just too much bullsh!t going on with cowboy owners of the time.

Rafa Benitez is simply one of best Liverpool managers of all time.

If Depay signs, it means Sterling is gone IMO.

Quite possible, although it's a nice thought to have them on either wing.

I'd rather Depay though, 21 league goals is remarkable for a young player.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Those two seasons were his first, when we won the European Cup, and his last when there was just too much bullsh!t going on with cowboy owners of the time.

Rafa Benitez is simply one of best Liverpool managers of all time.

I'm merely pointing out that there were plenty of days like today and last Sunday when Rafa was in charge too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

We're talking about league performances, not European.

Yes but it was also his first year. A lot of managers start off poor.

I'm merely pointing out that there were plenty of days like today and last Sunday when Rafa was in charge too.

There were days like that alright. Jesus, I remember some awful performances. But they were always backed up with trophies and Champions League qualification and huge famous Euro nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

We were rated no 1 in europe under rafa, i mean just think about that for a minute.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Yes but it was also his first year. A lot of managers start off poor.

In his 3rd season, we finished 3rd with 68 points. That just shows how easy it was to achieve top 4 back then. Coupled with 2 poor cup runs in England, judging by today's standards he should have been fired despite the champions league final and being dominated by Milan.

• Advertisement

There were days like that alright. Jesus, I remember some awful performances. But they were always backed up with trophies and Champions League qualification and huge famous Euro nights.

Rafa won 2 trophies in 6 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

In his 3rd season, we finished 3rd with 68 points. That just shows how easy it was to achieve top 4 back then. Coupled with 2 poor cup runs in England, judging by today's standards he should have been fired despite the champions league final and being dominated by Milan.

Rafa had won a Champions League & FA Cup at that stage, correct?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Rafa had won a Champions League & FA Cup at that stage, correct?

Well done, a gold star for you, that's all he won in his entire Liverpool career. I do not care what he did in Europe and the FA Cup, we are discussing LEAGUE PERFORMANCES.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I can't believe this discussion is being had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Got to be the first time I've heard a Liverpool fan say they don't care that they won a Champions League

Kudos...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

RasTa wrote: »
    Got to be the first time I've heard a Liverpool fan say they don't care that they won a Champions League

Kudos...

I can't believe he could be for real

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,949 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

The Champions League is literally the pinnacle of club football, winning it is everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

And here we go with a replica of the debate post Villa game last Sunday.

I guess it will repeat itself after each loss/draw from now till the season's end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Well done, a gold star for you, that's all he won in his entire Liverpool career. I do not care what he did in Europe and the FA Cup, we are discussing LEAGUE PERFORMANCES.
    All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

A shark has been jumped.

RasTa wrote: »

Kudos...

Winning it was amazing, incredible, probably the best night I have ever had as a Liverpool fan. That doesn't take away from how pathetic our league performances were that season.

At this moment in time, I want a league title,i don't care about the champions league right now. The premier league is our bread and butter, it's where our focus should be, anything else is a bonus.

Wait what?? That's 'all' he won??

We qualified for Champions League all the time under him. Granted, it's harder now since the Arabs bought City, but he still did what was required of him.

As someone pointed out above, we broke all sorts of our own records on the league in terms of points, consecutive clean sheets etc.

Rafa's era is undoubtably my favourite as a Liverpool fan.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Talisman wrote: »
    All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

I was literally (and not in the Jamie Redknapp sense, but actually literally) going to post this same thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

When internet warriors go to war a point is all you can score (this really is very silly).

Wait what?? That's 'all' he won?? We qualified for Champions League all the time under him. Granted, it's harder now since the Arabs bought City, but he still did what was required of him.

As someone pointed out above, we broke all sorts of our own records on the league interns of points, consecutive clean sheets etc.

Rafa's era is undoubtably my favourite as a Liverpool fan.

It means he went 4 years without a trophy.

• Advertisement

Hmmmm

Winning it was amazing, incredible, probably the best night I have ever had as a Liverpool fan. That doesn't take away from how pathetic our league performances were that season.

At this moment in time, I want a league title,i don't care about the champions league right now. The premier league is our bread and butter, it's where our focus should be, anything else is a bonus.

If all you care about is winning the premier league I suggest you either stop watching football or support another club. That also being the case, I'm not sure why you are so gung ho on Rodgers either given the evidence from 2 of 3 seasons so far.

5starpool wrote: »
    If all you care about is winning the premier league I suggest you either stop watching football or support another club. That also being the case, I'm not sure why you are so gung ho on Rodgers either given the evidence from 2 of 3 seasons so far.

Support another club? After over 30 years as a Liverpool fan I'll take your point under consideration but politely decline.

I was literally (and not in the Jamie Redknapp sense, but actually literally) going to post this same thing!
    Great minds think a like ... ;)

It means he went 4 years without a trophy.

Shankly went about seven years without winning a trophy.

• Advertisement

Shankly went about seven years without winning a trophy.

If you're going to make stuff up then at least make it somewhat believable. Shanks took over in December 1959, we win the 2nd division in 1962.

If you're going to make stuff up then at least make it somewhat believable. Shanks took over in December 1959, we win the 2nd division in 1962.

What did he win from 66 to 73?

Stop ... just stop now ... PLEASE!

Support another club? After over 30 years as a Liverpool fan I'll take your point under consideration but politely decline.

Well in that case, why not want us to win other trophies? Belittling the successes of our most successful manager in the last quarter of a century (CL and European record puts him over Houllier imo) is a strange thing to be doing.

Supporting Rodgers does not mean you can't be appreciative of the record Rafa had while at the club. He has his flaws, and as you point out had some mixed seasons, but he still got over 80 points in 2 of his 6 seasons as well as several amazing European runs and 2 domestic finals.

What did he win from 66 to 73?

I took you up wrong.

Well in that case, why not want us to win other trophies? Belittling the successes of our most successful manager in the last quarter of a century (CL and European record puts him over Houllier imo) is a strange thing to be doing.

Supporting Rodgers does not mean you can't be appreciative of the record Rafa had while at the club. He has his flaws, and as you point out had some mixed seasons, but he still got over 80 points in 2 of his 6 seasons as well as several amazing European runs and 2 domestic finals.

Of course I want us to win trophies but given the choice between a league title and a Champions League, give me the premier league every single time. That's all I am saying.

I cannot stand the fickle nature of new age fans, I would love to see how the people calling for his head and completely disrespecting the man felt last April after we beat City at Anfield.

Seeing that Rafa is looking to be free this summer, would you be happy to replace Rodgers with him?

Seeing that Rafa is looking to be free this summer, would you be happy to replace Rodgers with him?

Absolutely not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

No, I don't think he would discuss much better, he might of won us a cup this season, but not ah upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

No he had his time. We would probably win a couple of cups with him but he would struggle to get us into the top 4 IMO.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement