Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note in OP 9/4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Kirby wrote: »
    Italian? He's from Montenegro.

Yes, the Italian part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Football only began for that particular poster in 1992 it seems.

I'm surprised you are even back today after making such a fool of yourself last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Any particular reason for Tranmere Rovers fall - from second tier regulars who flirted with promotion to the EPL in the 90s, to third tier 'just miss the playoffs but prone to go on a good cup run' regulars in the 2000s, down to fourth tier this decade and now non-league as of yesterday?
    Thought it was sad to see as generally had a bit of time for them, they were always one of my 'keep an eye on their results' teams back in the day, along with the likes of Crewe.

(Not really a Liverpool FC thread issue but some people here probably have some knowledge.)

I don't think they ever recovered from Trigger and Digger! Looking at their recent history its been one manager after another in quick succession all with very poor win rates. The clubs finances are very tight, even sales only raised a few bushels and the chairman has been pumping his own money in. You'd have to think falling into the Conference will be the death of the club as we know it unless they can get back up first go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

I'm surprised you are even back today after making such a fool of yourself last night.

I'm only back awaiting answers to all the questions I asked you during the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Me out

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Me out

What's next on the name front? 'Anfield Cat' perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I really like Jovetic as a player and he was one I would have liked us to sign last summer when we had money to spend, right now we would be just signing him to keep Sturridge company.

Both would be great for 4.6 games then gone for 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

5starpool wrote: »
    What's next on the name front? 'Anfield Cat' perhaps?

Open to suggestion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

we are where we are because we have lost 50 goals from last year,thats staggering and the main reason im still behind the manager,he was not to know what would happen to sturridge,he did not want ballo, he tried to get sanchez..

give us even 25 more goals and we could be in 4th.. give us 50 more and 2nd is likley again, keeper in line for most clean sheets of the season so we are not as easy to score against as last season,something we could improve on and have..

again,its the goals for ..so fcking frustrating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Morzadec wrote: »
    We were all desperate not to sign Bertrand in the summer - looks like he would have been a smart piece of business!

Chelsea wouldn't sell him to us was the line I heard. Considering me finished ahead of them last season its plausible. Always rated him he played in a cl final and was solid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We were all desperate not to sign Bertrand in the summer - looks like he would have been a smart piece of business!

Lovren looked great in that Southampton defence last season and we paid £20m for him.

That hasn't worked out well really.

Southampton know how to defend we don't Bertrand would probably have been just as exposed with us as Moreno has been playing out of his natural position but that lead to a deeper question why by players and then play them in positions that they don't play naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Looking into next season how do you think Rodgers will have us line up? The 3-4-2-1 was effective this year but was never planned. Rodgers has shown tactical flexibility and he does like fluid players, but I still believe he would ultimately want us playing some version of 4-3-3.

Looking at our squad, for me the positions (other than striker which we all know we need) that really cry out are full-backs.

People have been talking about the weak core of our team, but when I look through the players that I feel are good enough to be starting week-in week-out it's not there that I find massive gaps.

The following players I think have proven themselves good enough to be considered regular starters:

- Mignolet (, controversial inclusion I'm sure but now that he has regained confidence I actually think he is a very good keeper. Needs competition but doesn't stand out as an obvious player we definitely need to replace imo)

- Sakho

- Skrtel

- Can

- Henderson

- Coutinho

- Sterling

- Sturridge (can't be relied upon due to injuries though)

In a formation:

Mignolet

X
    Skrtel
    Sakho
    X

Can

Henderson
    X

Cout
    Sterling----

Sturridge / X

Moreno has had a decent first season and is young and improving. But he is still very suspect defensively and has made key errors in important games. I believe he needs more competition.

We've played pretty much the whole season without a recognised right back and Johnson is no longer good enough. Can can do a job but he's not as his best here and doesn't stretch the play as evidenced yesterday.

Not sure about Can in this role as he's a bit unproven here, but we also have Lucas who definitely should have a future here, and we could fit Can in somewhere else. I definitely think he's good enough to start week in week out

The number one problem has been goals this year and the injury to Sturridge, alongside the ineptitude of his replacements.

For me, the absolute must signs, aiming for players of high-starting quality and paying a lot of money if needs be would be:

1: Striker
    2: Centre-mid
    3: Right-back

Also needed, but less essential, to provide more competition:

1: Left back
    2: GK

My two-cents anyway, I'm sure many will disagree!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Outstanding. He had the nerve to call that toothless nonsense outstanding!

Liverpool FC will win nothing as long as Brendan Rodgers is in charge.

In fairness it's not the managers fault we are toothless up front. Sturrigde is made of glass and won't play with any form of pain , ballotelli has been shocking at times he can't even stay onside. Lambert doesn't suit the team and well borini doesn't seem to be wanted. Sure LFC wanted to sell him and he wouldn't leave. So maybe this is the manager calling the rest of the performance outstanding because he doesn't want to call his team rubbish in front of the press.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Gbear wrote: »
    That just sounds like sheer childishness.

We can't have them now, so suck it up.

Our current squad won't always be young, we won't be selling all of them and we certainly won't be selling all of them in one go.

You always need to have started these systems 5 years earlier. That's always going to present problems in the here and now, before the system delivers, but that doesn't mean we're doing the wrong thing.

So it's childish to want the best for the club??

By the way your completely missing the point I'm making but sure anyway.

The point is people keep going on about Rodgers, new manager etc etc and all is good and sorted. It's not, Rodgers is only part of the problem, the real problem is behind the scenes.

The point being mad is it's pointless to expect improvement once the status quo remains behind the scenes.

We do need those players now to compete.

Behind the scenes my @rse. Huge money is being made available every year. We just aren't spending it wisely.

Ballotelli, Lovern, Markovic Lallana. There's the guts of 80m. In hindsight not signing any of these would have made a huge difference. Hindsight eh

Looking into next season how do you think Rodgers will have us line up? The 3-4-2-1 was effective this year but was never planned. Rodgers has shown tactical flexibility and he does like fluid players, but I still believe he would ultimately want us playing some version of 4-3-3.

Looking at our squad, for me the positions (other than striker which we all know we need) that really cry out are full-backs.

People have been talking about the weak core of our team, but when I look through the players that I feel are good enough to be starting week-in week-out it's not there that I find massive gaps.

The following players I think have proven themselves good enough to be considered regular starters:

- Mignolet (, controversial inclusion I'm sure but now that he has regained confidence I actually think he is a very good keeper. Needs competition but doesn't stand out as an obvious player we definitely need to replace imo)

- Sakho

- Skrtel

- Can

- Henderson

- Coutinho

- Sterling

- Sturridge (can't be relied upon due to injuries though)

In a formation:

Mignolet

X
    Skrtel
    Sakho
    X

Can

Henderson
    X

Cout
    Sterling----

Sturridge / X

Moreno has had a decent first season and is young and improving. But he is still very suspect defensively and has made key errors in important games. I believe he needs more competition.

We've played pretty much the whole season without a recognised right back and Johnson is no longer good enough. Can can do a job but he's not as his best here and doesn't stretch the play as evidenced yesterday.

Not sure about Can in this role as he's a bit unproven here, but we also have Lucas who definitely should have a future here, and we could fit Can in somewhere else. I definitely think he's good enough to start week in week out

The number one problem has been goals this year and the injury to Sturridge, alongside the ineptitude of his replacements.

For me, the absolute must signs, aiming for players of high-starting quality and paying a lot of money if needs be would be:

1: Striker
    2: Centre-mid
    3: Right-back

Also needed, but less essential, to provide more competition:

1: Left back
    2: GK

My two-cents anyway, I'm sure many will disagree
    !

No one will disagree with that I think!

As for the formation, its a good question. The 3-4-3 based approach worked as intended by Rodgers in that it made it harder for the opposition to waltz past the midfield and split the centre backs but it also made Liverpool more "stodgy" in attack even taking the lack of a decent striker into account. The wing back position is a compromise and its certainly lessened every player who has filled that roll esp on the right.

I'd prefer to see Liverpool get back on the front foot and dominate games by attacking possession so the 4-4-2 diamond first and foremost with 4-3-3 as the second option.

I'm taking into account the possibility of Sterling being sold.

4-4-2

NEW----Skrtel-Sakho ---Moreno
    Alves/Fanni
    (Flano)--(Ilori)-(Lovren)--(NEW?)----?

NEW
    ?
    (Lucas)
    (Can)

Hendo----Coutinho
    (Can)
    (NEW)
    Milner

Sterling(NEW?)
    Depay
    (Lallana)
    (Coutinho)

Sturridge----NEW
    Benteke/(Depay)
    (Origi)
    (Yesil)

4-3-3

NEW----Skrtel-Sakho ---Moreno
    (Alves/Fanni)
    (Flano)--(Ilori)-(Lovren)--(NEW?)----?

NEW
    ?
    (Lucas)
    (Can)

Hendo----Coutinho
    (Can)
    (NEW)
    Milner

Sturridge----NEW(Benteke)--Sterling(NEW?)--Depay
    (Origi)
    (Yesil)
    (Ibe)

Obviously the forward three would be very mobile and flexible in terms of playing position across the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I would love to see Jovetic play for us. Given sufficent playing time I think he could go on to fulfil the potential he showed at Forintina (sp).
    Benteke would also be a decent buy and could get 10-15 league goals a year. Both could be gettable as well and I would imagine they would like to play for us.

Benteke would be gettable but would Liverpool be willing to meet Villa's asking price?
    Bony cost Man City £27m with Lukaku setting Everton back a similar sum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Behind the scenes my @rse. Huge money is being made available every year. We just aren't spending it wisely.

Ballotelli, Lovern, Markovic Lallana. There's the guts of 80m. In hindsight not signing any of these would have made a huge difference. Hindsight eh

Money is available for transfers, not for wages. FSG have no problem spending 20m on an upcoming 21 year old who currently doesn't command 100k a week.

When was the last time we signed someone whose first contract was more than 100k a week? I can't think of any, which is probably why we haven't bought any established players in a long time.

Milner Benteke and Jovetic, would be a step in the right direction. We still need a pair of full backs and a second GK

A DM is more important than FBs Imo.
    Someone with the tackling of Lucia but better passing range and can stay fit.
    I'd like to see Can get a run of games beside a quality DM. Let the DM sit and mind the back 4 whilst Can salmons forward like a salmon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

What a chance missed yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Money is available for transfers, not for wages. FSG have no problem spending 20m on an upcoming 21 year old who currently doesn't command 100k a week.

When was the last time we signed someone whose first contract was more than 100k a week? I can't think of any, which is probably why we haven't bought any established players in a long time.

Bing. I'm so sick of continually pointing this out every time someone goes off on one about transfers fees that I just dont bother anymore.

Edit - oh no yest result could be an even bigger body blow after this result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

niallo27 wrote: »
    Just saw this now. So after winning a champions league and FA cup and then getting to another champions league final and coming third you wanted him sacked. Sweet Jesus on a bicycle.

I remember the Liverpool threads in Rafa's era. They were unbelievable reads. So many people wanted him sacked, it was laughable. I always thought that when Rafa left and the inevitable followed, those fans would deserve the misery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

MD1990 wrote: »
    I wouldn't. Rarely fit & done nothing at city.

another lightweight player who weaves pretty patterns but doesn't really deliver when it counts - exactly what we need, we don't have enough of that kind of player, on top of that he gets injured quite a lot so he'll fit right in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

With the game today going the way it is I'm just sick we couldn't get the result yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Hidalgo wrote: »
    I'd like to see Can get a run of games beside a quality DM. Let the DM sit and mind the back 4 whilst Can salmons forward like a salmon.

Plenty of good DM's around Europe at the moment. Camacho, Kondogbia, the Bender's, Illaramendi should be available too. I hope we go for at least one of them, though I'd say someone big will go for Kondogbia as he looks a top player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

today is just making yesterday worse if scores stay as they are :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Hidalgo wrote: »

Completely agree, I can't see Can playing in the DM role, he is a ball carrier and definitely one for the future but it would be crazy to play him as a holding midfielder, he vacates his position to much and we would be left with the same problems we have had for the last couple of years with teams finding it very easy to go straight through the middle of the pitch.

we are where we are because we have lost 50 goals from last year,thats staggering and the main reason im still behind the manager,he was not to know what would happen to sturridge,he did not want ballo, he tried to get sanchez..

This season isn't exactly the first time in Sturridge's career that he has gone through injury spells. Surely Rodgers had an iota that Sturridge would at least spend a portion of the season unavailable.

Edit - oh no yest result could be an even bigger body blow after this result.
    mightyreds wrote: »
    With the game today going the way it is I'm just sick we couldn't get the result yesterday

So we're hoping Utd win then? :pac:

Everton concede so many late goals they'll draw, maybe lose.

• Advertisement

Regardless of results today it's gone. No way will we win all 5 games remaining. Utd can afford to lose at least 2 games imo

We bottled it when it mattered

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

which is worse i wonder

80 million ish on carroll, henderson, adam and downing (got back about 25 million and henderson has turned things around)

or

80millionish on balotelli, lovren, lallana and markovic (current value around 40 million and dropping)

donfers wrote: »
    which is worse i wonder

80 million ish on carroll, henderson, adam and downing (got back about 25 million and henderson has turned things around)

or

80millionish on balotelli, lovren, lallana and markovic (current value around 40 million and dropping)

Much of a muchness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

As always, right?

Brendan Rodgers' sides start 'slow' and then go on an incredible run of form, making you believe the impossible is now possible.

And then they absolutely bottle it, leaving you compltely deflated, with a 'restructuring' job on the team needed.

It's a total head fcuk following this team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Everton are doing this on purpose to wreck our heads

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Regardless of results today it's gone. No way will we win all 5 games remaining. Utd can afford to lose at least 2 games imo

The only thing I'm hoping now is that utd only finish 4th and lose in the qualifiers. No chance of us overtaking them at all after yesterday. There was a glimmer if we had won yesterday given the way the game is going today so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Name one transfer that fell through cause we wouldn't meet wage demands. We have attempted to sign established players, they just go to better clubs though.

Again people just look at transfer fees and think that's the be all and end all. Far from it, people keep quoting over 100m spent as a definite figure. I can guarantee we only paid out a percentage of that figure last summer.

80m on the player you mentioned, not even close, transfer fees aren't paid in full up front, very very rarely.

And again people are missing the big picture. Behind the scenes means everything from the committee to the scouts to the manager.

Players are currently signed on a majority vote which doesn't work unlike the bayern committee where a player is only signed when there is a unanimous vote and everyone on the committee agrees.

The approach is to build slowly, sign up and coming players etc etc, so what do they do, they get in scouts from the one team in the country that dont actually build slowly and actually just go out and buy the finished article...Man City!! They brought in scouts from the one club that were the exact opposite of the FSG approach and them give them and Ian Ayre as much power as the manager when choosing signings.

And then there is the wages, how many players have we missed out on because of the veto in high wages?

People look at headline transfer fees and thinks that's everything, not even close. Wages are king not transfer fees. If a player wants to leave a club he will, that's a fact. The player doesn't give a rats arse what the transfer fee is, his only concern is wages and once again lose out time and time again because of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

mightyreds wrote: »

It's not over yet so just enjoy watching Utd and their fans suffer a bit as they have been thinking they are at title winning levels the last few weeks.

the kelt wrote: »
    Again people just look at transfer fees and think that's the be all and end all. Far from it, people keep quoting over 100m spent as a definite figure. I can guarantee we only paid out a percentage of that figure last summer.

80m on the player you mentioned, not even close, transfer fees aren't paid in full up front, very very rarely.

And again people are missing the big picture. Behind the scenes means everything from the committee to the scouts to the manager.

Players are currently signed on a majority vote which doesn't work unlike the bayern committee where a player is only signed when there is a unanimous vote and everyone on the committee agrees.

The approach is to build slowly, sign up and coming players etc etc, so what do they do, they get in scouts from the one team in the country that dont actually build slowly and actually just go out and buy the finished article...Man City!! They brought in scouts from the one club that were the exact opposite of the FSG approach and them give them and Ian Ayre as much power as the manager when choosing signings.

And then there is the wages, how many players have we missed out on because of the veto in high wages?

People look at headline transfer fees and thinks that's everything, not even close. Wages are king not transfer fees. If a player wants to leave a club he will, that's a fact. The player doesn't give a rats arse what the transfer fee is, his only concern is wages and once again lose out time and time again because of that.

Ok, ignore fees altogether.

The correct players weren't brought in, simple as that.

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's not over yet so just enjoy watching Utd and their fans suffer a bit as they have been thinking they are title winning levels they last few weeks.

The obsession with Utd and their fans is a bit nuts tbh

Same goes for some of them.

• Advertisement

Ok, ignore fees altogether.

The correct players weren't brought in, simple as that.

Why do you think the correct players were brought in? I don't. The point is transfer fees aren't the problem yet people keep quoting them. Because of our wages our options are limited.

The issue we have is not with the affordability of players in transfer fees, the issues is in regards to our wage structure ruling out the possibility of signing other players.

I've no idea what players we missed out on because we won't pay the wages I'm more concerned with the players we can't even look at to begin with because of our wage structure.

today is jut making yesterday worse if scores stay as they are :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well it's still the biggest rivalry of all despite what some say.

the kelt wrote: »
    Why do you think the correct players were brought in?

I don't. Hence my point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Might have something to do with it being one of the biggest club rivalries in world football. Its the same at all rival clubs. Part of the game. Quite odd that you would be shocked at this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

today is jut making yesterday worse if scores stay as they are :(

To be sure,to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

We lost 50 goals, but we didn't need to replace them - another 10 goals could have us comfortably in the top 4. The team selections and tactics of the manager have been responsible for a large part of our undoing this season. We have players that could play up front in a partnership but the manager insisted in shoehorning them into a lone forward role or not bother including them in the squad - a brave/foolish decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Ardent

Doesn't matter what happens today. Blew any hope of top 4 yesterday and we're not good enough to do what's needed in our remaining fixtures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Looks like a missed op a tune titty

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement