Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note in OP 9/4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

noodler wrote: »
    I do get the impression on here that Borini is unfairly targeted when compared to our other two squad strikers.

I'd probably choose him over the other two but i was looking at all three stat wise and my god they're all dreadful.

http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/26/Show/England-Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I'd probably choose him over the other two but i was looking at all three stat wise and my god they're all dreadful.

http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/26/Show/England-Liverpool

Although, splitting hairs to the extreme here, it is interesting that, based on that chart, Lambert has the best goals per min ratio in the EPL, followed by Borini and then Mario.

To be honest, a combination of two of any of the three probably should have played more often. They have only played 31 hours of premier league football between them this season.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It looks like either Chelsea will clinch the league title against us or else clinch it this weekend before our game and we'll ahve to do the whole guard of honour thing for them. Either will be a depressing sight really. If they do win it before our game then I fear our game against them could be a horribly dour game with neither team needing to win for any particular reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Although, splitting hairs to the extreme here, it is interesting that, based on that chart, Lambert has the best goals per min ratio in the EPL, followed by Borini and then Mario.

To be honest, a combination of two of any of the three probably should have played more often. They have only played 31 hours of premier league football between them this season.

I think Borini got enough games over the three years for Rodgers to have formed the opinion that he wasn't good enough for us. Balotelli got plenty of opportunities and you can't blame Rodgers for throwing in Sterling, as the pressure was really starting to mount.

Lambert was a strange one, he was supposedly bought as a plan b, but it looked that he was still tried in the normal system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Any reliable links to the sturridge rumours?? About his attitude to injuries

What's this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

5starpool wrote: »
    It looks like either Chelsea will clinch the league title against us or else clinch it this weekend before our game and we'll ahve to do the whole guard of honour thing for them. Either will be a depressing sight really. If they do win it before our game then I fear our game against them could be a horribly dour game with neither team needing to win for any particular reason.
    It'd be depressing if we were challenging, while it could be said the fact that we aren't challenging is even more depressing.

Roll on the summer, we need to sort out our house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I think Borini got enough games over the three years for Rodgers to have formed the opinion that he wasn't good enough for us. Balotelli got plenty of opportunities and you can't blame Rodgers for throwing in Sterling, as the pressure was really starting to mount.

Lambert was a strange one, he was supposedly bought as a plan b, but it looked that he was still tried in the normal system.

Borini was injured for most of the first season, at Sunderland for the second and frozen out this season.

I don't think for a second there is some world class talent to be unearthed there but I do think he had a combination of mobility and desire the other two did not that would have given our other players more space if utilised this season.

I make no arguments for keeping any of them going forward though - its just a reflective argument. Lambert possbily due to his age and likely willingness to sit on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sturridge may not play again this season then according to Rodgers. Somehow that doesn't feel like any news, good or bad, really does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

5starpool wrote:
    There are no reliable links to anything that comes under the heading "speculation and rumours".

Shut your whoor mouth

Any links of any description ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Benteke has 39 goals in 85 Premier League games for a Villa team that was falling apart. Still only 24 years old, he is young, but still has the proven ability at this level. His pace and strength would suit our team and our fast counter attacking style, but importantly, he still has the quick feet that our attackers (should) have. He will not be cheap, but would there be many other realistic targets out there who are proven and would suit us like Benteke does?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭doc_17

Last season I fear was the exception for Sturridge. His lack of robustness is pitiful. I feel sorry for him but a top clas striker is the most important signing we need this summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Mr.H wrote: »

Have we got so low as to relying on that kind of stat for being competitive in the one-upmanship stakes? Dear oh dear, it really has been a desperately modest 20 years of league performances (with some very occasional exceptions).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Sturridge may not play again this season then according to Rodgers. Somehow that doesn't feel like any news, good or bad, really does it?

Yeah, its all just very... "meh" and expected by now.

I would be delighted with Benteke and Ings but think we need a creative mid aswell. no point in buying a Falcao if you buy rubbish to feed him with :D

• Advertisement

Have we got so low as to relying on that kind of stat for being competitive in the one-upmanship stakes? Dear oh dear, it really has been a desperately modest 20 years of league performances (with some very occasional exceptions).

It just points out that talking about a period of time (the past) is purely relative to a point that a person may be trying to prove relating to their "one-upmanship"

Its a pointless exercise that proves nothing more than Liverpool and United are absolutely nowhere near winning a title right now, and rely on meaningless digs to get one over each other

*edit* wow that post sounds condescending. Sorry working so wasn't fully concentrating :) meant all in a light hearthed friendly way mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Benteke will cost anywhere to £30m during the summer along with £30m for Depay that probably means an offer of £40m plus will be excepted for Sterling to cover those two if history is anything to go by over the last few seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Benteke will cost anywhere to £30m during the summer along with £30m for Depay that probably means an offer of £40m plus will be excepted for Sterling to cover those two if history is anything to go by over the last few seasons.
    I would be happy with that, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Or going by history, we will sell sterling for the 40 mil and then fail to actually sign Depay or Benteke(This better not happen again)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Wouldn't be worried by that. The rest of the season is a write off, better off focusing on getting him 100% for the start of next season, even if that means his rehab starts now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Sigh,

I really wish Sturridge had been fit this season.

Wouldn't be worried by that. The rest of the season is a write off, better off focusing on getting him 100% for the start of next season, even if that means his rehab starts now.

I agree we are better off getting Danny fully fit for next season. No point in having him bit part for the last few games.

BUT this last few games are hardly a write off

IF we win our last 5 games (including a Chelsea who may well have the title wrapped up) then United cant afford to Lose 1 and draw 1 in their remaining four.

United lose to Arsenal and get a silly draw in one of their other three games and we can take a top 4

Difficult yes but a write off hell no

Benteke has 39 goals in 85 Premier League games for a Villa team that was falling apart. Still only 24 years old, he is young, but still has the proven ability at this level. His pace and strength would suit our team and our fast counter attacking style, but importantly, he still has the quick feet that our attackers (should) have. He will not be cheap, but would there be many other realistic targets out there who are proven and would suit us like Benteke does?

I'm coming round to Benteke I have to say, he is ambidextrous, much more mobile than your standard "target man" while having the attributes of same, he is brilliant at plucking a ball from out of the air - Moreno would certain like to ping a few at him I suspect! Also he'd definitely be happy to play for LFC and of course he knows the league. Taking a chance on say a Higuain type could result in Falcao situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

You don't want to bring old managers back. Your better off leaving the past, in the past.

Chelsea and Mourinho?

Chelsea and Mourinho?

That would be serial league winner Mourinho at super rich and canny player trading Chelsea would it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Chelsea and Mourinho?

Name another :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I'm coming round to Benteke I have to say, he is ambidextrous, much more mobile than your standard "target man" while having the attributes of same, he is brilliant at plucking a ball from out of the air - Moreno would certain like to ping a few at him I suspect! Also he'd definitely be happy to play for LFC and of course he knows the league. Taking a chance on say a Higuain type could result in Falcao situation.

It might be a tad unfair to take it in isolation, but I think if this season has told us anything about Benteke it's that he falls out of form easily and only seems to score goals when the team is generally performing well. If we're spending the speculated £30m, it would want to be on a player who can raise the level of the players around him at all times, not one who sulks into anonymity when things aren't going his team's way. We have one of them already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I agree we are better off getting Danny fully fit for next season. No point in having him bit part for the last few games.

IF we win our last 5 games (including a Chelsea who may well have the title wrapped up) then United cant afford to Lose 1 and draw 1 in their remaining four.

United lose to Arsenal and get a silly draw in one of their other three games and we can take a top 4

... until we draw 0-0 at Hull tomrorow.

Liverpool don't deserve to be in the top 4, there, I said it. They haven't played consistantly well for more than a couple of months and they haven't scored anywhere near enough goals.

I do see a glimmer of hope in that the defense is tightened up and we should be more goal-competitive next season, but Arsenal and Man U wil lstrenthen as well and we will probably be back in the same position. I'd be more hopefl of next season than the next five games though, with or without Sturridge.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

The problem with that is that I don't think we are capable of winning our last 5 games given how we've played in the last couple of months. I'd love the players to do their damndest to ensure we do win our last 5, but I can't see it.

• Advertisement

Sappy404 wrote: »
    It might be a tad unfair to take it in isolation, but I think if this season has told us anything about Benteke it's that he falls out of form easily and only seems to score goals when the team is generally performing well. If we're spending the speculated £30m, it would want to be on a player who can raise the level of the players around him at all times, not one who sulks into anonymity when things aren't going his team's way. We have one of them already.

Lambert sucked the life out of the whole team, best thing to do is seek opinion in the Villa thread, see what they think.

here's stat to make you sick - had Liverrpool scored 4 goals turning 4 0-0 draws in 1-0 wins Liverpool would now be in 4th place and a game in hand.

Lambert sucked the life out of the whole team, best thing to do is seek opinion in the Villa thread, see what they think.

Also, Benteke came back from a long injury in October or so, and took time to get back to full fitness. I'm not saying he's our ideal solution, but we need a player who is at least part battering ram. That's what made Suarez so dangerous in some respects. He was able to create his own chances, and we need players who can do that, and while obviously not in the same league (literally as well as figuratively), Benteke can improve us in that respect.

Sappy404 wrote: »

Benteke is a 1 in 2 striker over 3 seasons honestly that is very consistent even with the above taken into account along with injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

I see Ramsey refused to shake the Piers Morgan yesterday, for personal reasons. If this generation of footballers were aware of the bile and venom bestowed on the families of victims of Hillsboro by the Sun, of which Morgan was the editor at the time, they would never entertain the man again. A more putrid and odious individual you could not hope to meet imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

You can analyse it many different ways but the reality is that they're not good enough.

garra wrote: »
    I see Ramsey refused to shake the Piers Morgan yesterday, for personal reasons. If this generation of footballers were aware of the bile and venom bestowed on the families of victims of Hillsboro by the Sun, of which Morgan was the editor at the time, they would never entertain the man again. A more putrid and odious individual you could not hope to meet imo.

eh, Morgan edited the Mirror during its most disreputable period, not the S*n during its.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

garra wrote: »

Piers Morgan never edited The Sun, he edited the defunct News of the World for a short time before moving on to the Daily Mirror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Piers is gas crack

If Jeremy Clarkson had hit Morgan twice rather than Oisin Tymon once he'd still be at the BBC!

• Advertisement

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Piers Morgan never edited The Sun, he edited the defunct News of the World for a short time before moving on to the Daily Mirror.

Ya, he was the entertainment column guy in that particular paper for a while I think. The editor in question in April 1989 was a lovely chap called Kelvin McKenzie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

NukaCola wrote: »
    Name another :)

Martin Allen Saved Barnet from relegation on one occasion and has just got them promoted back to the league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

... until we draw 0-0 at Hull tomrorow.

Liverpool don't deserve to be in the top 4, there, I said it. They haven't played consistantly well for more than a couple of months and they haven't scored anywhere near enough goals.

I do see a glimmer of hope in that the defense is tightened up and we should be more goal-competitive next season, but Arsenal and Man U wil lstrenthen as well and we will probably be back in the same position. I'd be more hopefl of next season than the next five games though, with or without Sturridge.
    Au contraire, if Liverpool have the fourth best points total, they will deserve to be there.

Th team with the best points total will deserve to be on top and so on down.

The team that finishes fourth will deserve to be there from their results all season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

5starpool wrote: »
    Ya, he was the entertainment column guy in that particular paper for a while I think. The editor in question in April 1989 was a lovely chap called Kelvin McKenzie.
    Christ, I had forgotten that.

Obviously he's not flavour of the month on this thread, but I would recommend Morgan's book The Insider, it gives an interesting impression on how McKenzie operated as a newspaper editor at that time.

Pier Morgan is as insufferable and ignorant as you can possibly get, whilst being in the public eye.

Have zero time for him or his opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

• Advertisement

Even without reading the article yet, the title just instantly smacks of shoddy journalism, "Motormouth Brendan Rodgers is playing us all for suckers".

The same Rodgers who was manager of the year last year. I mean, yeah he's not perfect and needs to improve, but he's clearly a talented manager.

Edit: Yep, read the article. Pretty shit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Yikes he took the skin off him there. Pointed the blame at the owners too.

I feel his frustration too, the great season we had last year compounds the disappoint of this. As a Liverpool supporter its always 1 step forward 2 steps back.

What I don't agree with is childish name calling of the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Lovren stood out. Seriously. That’s like when you let the water out of the bath and watch the stink of the day cling to the sides.

Have to say I giggled at that. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Looks like something from the F365 letters page. Thats about as low brow "journalism" as you can get...

I got a smile out of this
    One man upfront, and that was Mario. That doesn’t work so throw Borini on — for Balotelli. That’s not a change, doofus. At least Gerrard got in some practice for his LA stroll.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement