Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note in OP 9/4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Chelsea lose the next two games to Southampton and West Ham. Now we are only 6 points behind and still to play them. Make us dream.

^^This is what getting carried away with things looks like, not being excited because we have done a huge amount of good work and have put ourselves back within touching distance of top 4. We go again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

rossc007 wrote: »
    Are you high?

Always according to some on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

OwaynOTT wrote: »

I can understand why in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

SlickRic wrote: »
    Amazing.

Into work this morning, and all I hear is how crap City were. Utd fans. Arsenal fans. All rival fans.

Not a single person giving credit to Liverpool.

Astonishing.

You know what? Let them. All I heard during our run last year was how Suarez carried us to every superb performance we had. This year, it seems to be all about how crap everyone else is.

Always an excuse.

Fúck every one of the begrudgers to be honest. Respect to those rivals on here who are giving credit where it's due to a team that is looking more and more like it's 13/14 incarnation.

City underestimated us yesterday. That midfield was picked assuming Yaya would dominate, Fernandinho would hoover up any scraps, and their front 4 would eventually overwhelm us. They found out that, you know what, Allen, Henderson and Coutinho aren't fúcking half bad.

Let teams, let fans, let them all underestimate us and believe that Suarez was our only good player last year, only Henderson and Sterling would get into the Utd team (maybe), and Rodgers is a spoofer. Let them believe it all they like.

And while they're still believing all that bollocks, May can come, and we can sit pretty back in the Champions League, hopefully with an FA Cup in the back pocket.

Sure that is the case every time Liverpool win a big game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If some MLS club wanted Balotelli now I'd sell him. Can't see how he offers anything whatsoever.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Knex. wrote: »
    I'm still more in the "we won't get fourth" camp, than I am in the we will get it, camp. Delighted with how things are going, and the last week alone has been amazing for us.

We'll see how things stand again next week.

Might have time to do the alternative table tonight as well.

I'm in the "We'll get third" camp, and for spells during an afternoon I find myself in the "f*** it, we'll get second!" camp...

Who's with me? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Wow, this would have been unthinkable just 3 months ago when all was going to hell in a handbasket. Shows the level of turn around in the performance of some players

The Daily Telegraph‘s Mark Ogden
    Steven Gerrard will return to the Liverpool team when fit following his hamstring injury, but with the Anfield captain leaving the club at the end of the season, Brendan Rodgers might just benefit from keeping him on the sidelines

The midfield trio of Joe Allen, Jordan Henderson and Adam Lallana are Liverpool’s future and, against City, showed signs of being able to grow into a top class unit.

Gerrard is too good a player to leave out of the team, but Rodgers is a manager who looks at the bigger picture and the reality is that the 34-year-old does not figure in it.

We could conceivably finish the season in the top 4 without Gerrard or Suarez contributing to that achievement. Suarez because he is in Barca and Gerrard because his form has been in freefall since September. Startling stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

We could conceivably finish the season in the top 4 without Gerrard or Suarez contributing to that achievement. Suarez because he is in Barca and Gerrard because his form has been in freefall since September. Startling stuff

Am I right in saying that you're just blindly writing off all of Gerrards contribution to this season so? That's utterly ridiculous if so

D'Agger wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that you're just blindly writing off all of Gerrards contribution to this season so? That's utterly ridiculous if so

Im saying he has been one of our poorest players all season. Granted others have been terrible at stages but none of those are guaranteed starters and they have been dropped for extended periods of time (Lovern, Johnson, Mingolet etc). Gerrard would still be starting more games than not if he was fit.
    This sums up his contribution this season, in a word he has been dire since October

Look at his passing accuracy, defensive score and ally this to the fact that he has 1 assist and 2 goals from open play this season. Says all you need to say if you ask me

Steven-Gerrards-Decline.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

'Twas that OwaynOTT lad that started that rumour, the fekker.

• Advertisement

I'm aware Gerrard hasn't been great this season, and call me pedantic, but you're likening his contribution this season to that of a Barcalona player who left us in the summer which is utterly ridiculous.

FWIW I'm of the opinion that he shouldn't start upon return from injury, the team's doing well without him, as with Lovren, Mignolet, he'll have to earn his place, plus always better to ease a player back from injury anyway.

D'Agger wrote: »
    I'm aware Gerrard hasn't been great this season, and call me pedantic, but you're likening his contribution this season to that of a Barcalona player who left us in the summer which is utterly ridiculous.

FWIW I'm of the opinion that he shouldn't start upon return from injury, the team's doing well without him, as with Lovren, Mignolet, he'll have to earn his place, plus always better to ease a player back from injury anyway.

Thats not what I said at all. I said he has gone from our first or second most important player to someone that is contributing very little to the first team at present. He has had a very poor season and his legs have gone totally.
    I then said they have contributed little (Gerrard) or nothing (Suarez) to this campaign making the current form/performances that bit more impressive.

Thats not what I said at all. I said he has gone from our first or second most important player to someone that is contributing very little to the first team at present. He has had a very poor season and his legs have gone totally.
    I then said they have contributed little (Gerrard) or nothing (Suarez) to this campaign making the current form/performances that bit more impressive.

Call me pedantic then because 'without contributing' is literally what you said

Not that it matters a bit, we'll move on

11046594_1620915078119915_6326847874686818958_n.jpg?oh=7a86af6776e65fecdb298d7d7ef0d74f&oe=558E81E3

Almost brings a tear to the eye. 54 goals between them in 2007/08

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

I don't think it's just a physical thing with Gerrard. I think he hasn't recovered mentally from the non showing at the world cup (as Captain) and the way last season finished. He's struggling with the fact, I reckon, that his only chance to win the league with Liverpool disappeared in the fashion that it did.

He give so much, mentally, in lifting the team, rescuing matches that he has nothing left in the tank for us. He can't lift himself, to me he has looked a bit timid at times.

Hope he goes to the MLS and cleans up, it'll be a cakewalk for him if he is up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

And Sturridge's contribution has been minimal thus far too.

On the one hand you can say that it is astonishing to achieve 4th without these players' contributions but on the other you can say that a) We knew Suarez was off and we were well compensated for his services, b) We knew Gerrard was going to be another year older and would have to be used sparingly, c) Sturridge is always just a twist of the hips away from a pulled muscle..
    So in other words we failed to prepare for the season and are now desperately scrambling to salvage something from it. But feck me I still wouldn't swap this team and manager for others!

11046594_1620915078119915_6326847874686818958_n.jpg?oh=7a86af6776e65fecdb298d7d7ef0d74f&oe=558E81E3

Almost brings a tear to the eye. 54 goals between them in 2007/08

Can you read it out for me please?

I don't think it's just a physical thing with Gerrard. I think he hasn't recovered mentally from the non showing at the world cup (as Captain) and the way last season finished. He's struggling with the fact, I reckon, that his only chance to win the league with Liverpool disappeared in the fashion that it did.

He give so much, mentally, in lifting the team, rescuing matches that he has nothing left in the tank for us. He can't lift himself, to me he has looked a bit timid at times.

Hope he goes to the MLS and cleans up, it'll be a cakewalk for him if he is up for it.

Yes I think you are correct, the hammer blow of last season has really hit him hard. The Gerrard song trailing him around would have been easier to brush off when he was younger but it has all taken it's toll on his focus this year.
    Sad ending for the likes of a player we will probably never see again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I'm still more in the "we won't get fourth" camp, than I am in the we will get it, camp. Delighted with how things are going, and the last week alone has been amazing for us.

We'll see how things stand again next week.

Might have time to do the alternative table tonight as well.
    Ditto.

With Southampton falling off, I really think it will be between ourselves, Arsenal and United to secure 3rd/4th. I think it's fair to say that we are the form team from those three. However, you can never write off Arsenal, who themselves have produced decent run-in's in previous seasons. You've also got United, even though they are playing badly, their team is full of stars. Arsenal are effectively 4 ahead, and United 3 ahead thanks to goal difference - so we're still definitely the underdogs here.

Hoping that Chelsea have the league in the back by the time they play us in the third game from last :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I'm still more in the "we won't get fourth" camp, than I am in the we will get it, camp.

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Hoping that Chelsea have the league in the back by the time they play us in the third game from last :cool:

I wouldn't bank on them, Moaninho wouldn't give us a virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

It would be great if Gerrard could come back and make a meaningful contribution towards our push for 4th and the F.A cup. I dont think his head and heart have been in it this season, but hopefully our recent run can motivate him to finish on a high.

I really just want to see one last Gerrard screamer from outside the box, it'd be bittersweet. Preferably against Utd on the 22nd, or dare i say it, the F.A cup final :pac:

Caution is for losers tbh Lloyd.

I'd much rather go mad now with the glee and enjoy it will its lasts and gamble it won't go pear-shaped.
    Enjoy it now, enjoy it later and look back on the the enjoyment.
    Just enjoy it unreservedly all the time

:D

http://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/daniel-sturridge-needs-to-adapt-or-face-more-time-on-the-bench-31033794.html

"Daniel Sturridge needs to adapt or face more time on the bench"

Bizarre article from Chris Bascombe, thought it was fairly obvious that Rodgers was being careful with Sturridge r.e injuries. I also thought Sterling was poor yesterday for the most part.

http://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/daniel-sturridge-needs-to-adapt-or-face-more-time-on-the-bench-31033794.html

Bizarre article from Chris Bascombe, thought it was fairly obvious that Rodgers was being careful with Sturridge r.e injuries. I also thought Sterling was poor yesterday for the most part.

He is such a grade a cúnt since he went to the Telegraph.
    Wish he would just f off at this stage.
    Used to have the inside track when he was at the Echo but has been largely frozen out since he moved to the Telegraph now just publishes totally baseless articles. Would take everything he says with a gigantic grain of salt.
    As you said its simply Rodgers being prudent with a player who has been blighted by injuries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Not a single quote, Sturridge is the perfect player for Liverpool's system. Rodgers has nothing but praise for him.

Rodgers himself said Sturridge would be ready to start games from next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

JS58185499.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

gafferino wrote: »
    Very similar to one of Coutinho's moves last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Wonderful what a run of games and confidence can do for a player. From being on the fringe until about Jan, both him and Allen had cracking performances yesterday and are must-starters for Wednesday.

Only concern is Ibe's injury, with Johnson and Flanagan already out, but I think Manquillo can come in and do a sound job. But expect all the fireworks to come donw the left...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Sturridge needs to play, he looks rusty because we are only sticking him on for 20 minutes at the end of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I'm not gonna lie, that touch gave me tight trousers....

"Jordon Ibe will probably be out for a few weeks," the manager told reporters during his pre-match press conference from Melwood.

"He twisted his knee, laterally on the outside, in Turkey and had to come off towards the end. He has had a scan on that.

"It is not too serious but it's probably just going to mean him out for a few weeks. We'll probably have him back towards the end of March."

There was much more positive news regarding Steven Gerrard's rehabilitation from a hamstring concern that has ruled the captain out since February 10.

Rodgers added: "He's coming along very well. He is building up strength in his hamstring and he has been outside, so he is working very hard. Hopefully in the very near future, he'll be back and available."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/180994-injury-update-on-jordon-and-gerrard

Sturridge needs to play, he looks rusty because we are only sticking him on for 20 minutes at the end of games.

He's only been back for 9 games, afer missing 5 months, and he's started 4 of those. We can't rush these things, nor do we have to since we are still winning games...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Why?

I suppose, because like last year, we gave ourself too much to do. We were a long way off winning the league at one stage last year, and while we had a fantastic run, winning 11 our of 13 games, or something like that, it still wasn't enough. We had zero margin for error, and in modern football, and especially in the PL, that rarely equates to success.

Right now we are in a similar situation. Its already astounding that we caught up with, and overtook, Spurs and Southampton among other, and are so close to Arsenal and United. But I fear that we gave ourself too much to do, and we are due a slip up.

We have to win our next 3 games, and while that is possible for sure, when you consider that we won our last three, against the odds, I'm not optimistic enough to go ahead and say we'll make it 6 wins on the trot, three of which come against Southampton, City, and United.

I'm not saying it won't happen, and of course I'll be delighted if we do, but lets not lose sight on the reality of the situation and the difficulty behind maintaining the form we've had over the few games, or even the last 10+ games.

People keep pointing to last season as if to justify their claims that we will get 3rd or 4th. I see that as more a reason to be fearful of missing out, than succeeding.

Anyway, I'm enjoying where we are at the moment, the form that we're in, the football that we're playing, and the fear we're instilling in the likes of United.

Lets see where it takes us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Baffling Sturridge article alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I suppose, because like last year, we gave ourself too much to do. We were a long way off winning the league at one stage last year, and while we had a fantastic run, winning 11 our of 13 games, or something like that, it still wasn't enough. We had zero margin for error, and in modern football, and especially in the PL, that rarely equates to success.

Right now we are in a similar situation. Its already astounding that we caught up with, and overtook, Spurs and Southampton among other, and are so close to Arsenal and United. But I fear that we gave ourself too much to do, and we are due a slip up.

We have to win our next 3 games, and while that is possible for sure, when you consider that we won our last three, against the odds, I'm not optimistic enough to go ahead and say we'll make it 6 wins on the trot, three of which come against Southampton, City, and United.

I'm not saying it won't happen, and of course I'll be delighted if we do, but lets not lose sight on the reality of the situation and the difficulty behind maintaining the form we've had over the few games, or even the last 10+ games.

People keep pointing to last season as if to justify their claims that we will get 3rd or 4th. I see that as more a reason to be fearful of missing out, than succeeding.

Anyway, I'm enjoying where we are at the moment, the form that we're in, the football that we're playing, and the fear we're instilling in the likes of United.

Lets see where it takes us.

God, you're such a negative Nelly ;)

noodler wrote: »
    Baffling Sturridge article alright.

Stranger still, as Bascome is supposed to be a bit of an authority on LFC.

Previously, but if you lose your access, it's going to be very hard to get exclusives...

Bascombe isn't on the list of journalists that Rodgers briefs, so he feeds off of scraps. A lot of his pieces regarding Liverpool read like they're written by an extremely disgruntled fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think a key point is that a team gets diminishing returns the better they get.
    If you flip a coin 11 times (and pretend like that's how football works), the chance of getting 11 heads isn't 4 times less likely than getting 7 heads but rather 16 times less likely (1 in 128 vs 1 in 2048).
    Obviously, football is a lot more complicated with the gulf between teams, form, injuries, fatigue and so on, but getting 7 or 8 wins is still a much, much, much easier task than needing to get 11.

It might require that we actually perform as well as last season (whatever that sentence means) but it also means that having 1 off day, or even 2 or 3, or a few crucial mistakes, won't be as likely to have a massive impact.
    So long as it doesn't happen against Utd, at any rate.

We're almost certainly toast if we don't win that game.

You guys seem to assume that getting 3rd or 4th is contingent on us not slipping up now whereas I feel its more likely that Arsenal or United will.

Good result for Arsenal against Everton but they were woeful against Monaco. They still have lots of injuries to big players and havent the momentum or spirit we currently have. They are also choke artists in recent times and are very reliant on Sanchez.

United are still a basketcase under Van Gaal and I would bet a sizeable amount we will finish ahead of them.

We have the momentum and we will finish in the top 4.

Unless Lovren...

Gbear wrote: »
    So long as it doesn't happen against Utd, at any rate.

We're almost certainly toast if we don't win that game.
    That's not true - Man Utd have to play 5 of the top 7 sides in their remaining games. If they win those games then they will deserve to finish in the top 4 but I can't see that happening.

My concern for us is how we will cope with the teams that decide they will just sit back and take a point from the game. We are better defensively this season in comparison to last but we struggle to overcome the properly organised teams.

Yep. The risk seems more to be a Burnley than a United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

J Mysterio wrote: »
    You guys seem to assume that getting 3rd or 4th is contingent on us not slipping up now whereas I feel its more likely that Arsenal or United will.

Good result for Arsenal against Everton but they were woeful against Monaco. They still have lots of injuries to big players and havent the momentum or spirit we currently have. They are also choke artists in recent times and are very reliant on Sanchez.

United are still a basketcase under Van Gaal and I would bet a sizeable amount we will finish ahead of them.

We have the momentum and we will finish in the top 4.

Unless Lovren...

Arsenal have the next best form in the league after us though!

Remaining Fixtures for Man Utd and Liverpool

Much happier looking at our run in to be honest
    United have to play 5 of the current top 7

Newcastle Burnley
    Tottenham Swansea
    Liverpool Man Utd
    Aston Villa Arsenal
    Man City Newcastle
    Chelsea Hull
    Everton West Brom
    West Brom QPR
    Crystal Palace Chelsea
    Arsenal Crystal Palace
    Hull Stoke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I'm very confident in the crucial home game against United. If we do the business there, we really should get 4th. Robbed of a result in Old Trafford. Form is with us. I'm uncharacteristically unfazed by playing United tbh. I think they're a lot more worried about us than we are about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Are people asleep at the wheel today?

Apparently the club is in profit for the 2013-2014 season - http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/mar/02/liverpool-first-profit-seven-years
    Liverpool have announced a first profit in seven years thanks mainly to the Premier League broadcasting deal that increased revenue to £255.6m in the year ending 31 May 2014.

The club’s profit before tax was a modest £900,000 but, compared to a loss of £49.8m in 2013, the sum underlines the financial recovery that owners Fenway Sports Group have implemented since taking over from Tom Hicks and George Gillett in 2010. The figures also demonstrate why Liverpool were last week cleared of any financial fair play breaches by Uefa, who had studied the club’s books following the 2012-13 losses plus a £40.5m loss in the 10-month period before then.

Liverpool’s revenue increased by 19% in 2013-14 with media revenue up by 46% to £100.9m thanks to the current television deal. Commercial revenue, which has increased since this financial period due to tie-ins with the likes of New Balance and Nivea, also showed a 5% rise to £103.8m.

Net debt grew from £12.2m to £57.3m largely as a result of player transfers and transfer payments due during the period, but Liverpool’s overall debt has decreased from £237m when FSG took over in 2010. Liverpool do not report the overall debt figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Apparently the club is in profit for the 2013-2014 season - http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/mar/02/liverpool-first-profit-seven-years

Was just reading up on that as it happens, as far as i can tell it does'nt include this year's revenues either which you would think would be much better because of CL and Suarez money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Where's the €900,000 money John?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement