Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note in OP 9/4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Are people asleep at the wheel today?

Apparently the club is in profit for the 2013-2014 season - http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/mar/02/liverpool-first-profit-seven-years

Posted it Friday ;)
    Liverpool cleared of Financial Fair Play breach
    Liverpool will announce a first profit in seven years when their accounts are released on Monday to show the turnaround under new owners, Fenway Sports Group, following their buy-out of George Gillett and Tom Hicks.

“During this review period, the club was going through a transitional period having just emerged from a difficult financial and operational position under previous ownership,” said Ayre.

“Since FSG took over in October 2010, we have stabilised the Club and made good overall progress by taking a measured approach to our financial position as we worked towards FFP compliance.

“We have always been supportive of the principles of FFP and welcome today’s announcement."

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/560925/Liverpool-Financial-Fair-Play-Hull-City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Sinclair just scored a worldy for the u21s v chelsea, 2-0 up. Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

magma69 wrote: »
    I'm very confident in the crucial home game against United. If we do the business there, we really should get 4th. Robbed of a result in Old Trafford. Form is with us. I'm uncharacteristically unfazed by playing United tbh. I think they're a lot more worried about us than we are about them.

United have been actually better against the bigger teams this season than against the rest - they'll give us a game but as you say, i am seriously not worried about them - i feel they do worry about us - if we avoid defeat on that day (and this should be the minimum we expect) then i'd still fancy us to finish ahead of them.

It's one of those things in football where my head says we are the form team, playing well, with purpose and a sense of unity - they are playing restricted passionless football that is being stifled by a man that is selling magic beans to the masses.

Spurs, Arsenal, Utd, Southampton & Liverpool are all fighting it out for two places I wouldn't get carried away with it's just Utd and us fighting for fourth.

Five teams fighting for two places finishing 5th ahead of Utd in 6th isn't anything to brag about if Spurs & Arsenal finsh 3rd & 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Spurs, Arsenal, Utd, Southampton & Liverpool are all fighting it out for two places I wouldn't get carried away with it's just Utd and us fighting for fourth.

Five teams fighting for two places finishing 5th ahead of Utd in 6th isn't anything to brag about if Spurs & Arsenal finsh 3rd & 4th.

Southampton cannot score goals and are done for the season. Spurs don't have it in them to finish ahead of us now. Arsenal are the usual suspects for the CL spots, they can be hot and cold but they'll be thereabouts and are proven in the run in. 2 Horse race with us and United.

We have form on our side ... and optimism ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

klose wrote: »

What's a worldy mang?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Will we finish fourth? I don't know.

Will United finish fourth? I don't know.

What I do know is that Boards will crash the day it's decided, it will be complete and utter chaos.

Here's a few different scenarios.

Win the FA Cup against Utd and finish 5th behind them in 4th.

Lose the FA Cup final but finish 4th ahead of them in 5th.

The perfect result win the FA cup and finish 4th ahead of them.

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Will we finish fourth? I don't know.

Will United finish fourth? I don't know.

What I do know is that Boards will crash the day it's decided, it will be complete and utter chaos.

Neither might.

That'd probably bring chaos too though!

Here's a few different scenarios.

Win the FA Cup against Utd and finish 5th behind them in 4th.

Lose the FA Cup final but finish 4th ahead of them in 5th.

The perfect result win the FA cup and finish 4th ahead of them.

Lose the FA cup but finish 5th?

It's probably the most likely if a bookie was pricing it up

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Neither might.

That'd probably bring chaos too though!

More like this I reckon :P

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Lose the FA cup but finish 5th?

It's probably the most likely if a bookie was pricing it up

I really didn't want to face/post the worst case scenario.

Where's the €900,000 money John?

It was just resting in his account.

Where's the €900,000 money John?

Probably just about covers Glen Johnsons wages till the end of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Probably just about covers Glen Johnsons wages till the end of the season.

651.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

klose wrote: »

That's a horrible term to use, and the goal was very good, but outrageous? No.

How are Liverpool only 5th in that league? have they had injuries, or a poor start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Speaking of Johnson contract talk is gone quiet. Have the club finally seen sense and not bothered?

rob316 wrote: »
    Speaking of Johnson contract talk is gone quiet. Have the club finally seen sense and not bothered?

It's not Johnson quiet contract talks I'm concerned with!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    That's a horrible term to use, and the goal was very good, but outrageous? No.

How are Liverpool only 5th in that league? have they had injuries, or a poor start?

Horrible term? :pac:

They've played 3 games less than leaders man united which is why they are behind.

As said there's an awful lot of work to be done, to be fair to the team/squad & Rodgers though 4th and perhaps 3rd is now a realistic aim in the eyes of everyone with 11 games left.

The team are performing and answering doubts
    - the initial good spell was knocked as they were only playing lowly teams
    - they went out and beat West Ham, Spurs, Man City & Southampton while drawing with Everton away, 13 points from 15.
    - done without Gerrard (the 5 games mentioned above) who was seen as many to be yet again crucial this season.
    - done with little goal input from Sturridge

They've put themselves in the ring and gone toe to toe with quality opposition and come out on top repeatedly. Needs to continue and the lower positioned teams along with Utd & Arsenal need to be dealt with and of course a point or 3 in the Chelsea game would be welcome.

Let's be real here, there will be dropped points over the next 11 games, the team/squad are now in a position where that is tolerable to an extent, an extent hard to quantify without a crystal ball.

I see no one celebrating, I see people enjoying the good run, there were plenty p1ssing and moaning during what I refer to as the blip, now isn't the time for it imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I think the recent events might put some perspective into peoples opinions on certain players.

Are Lucas and Gerrard good players? Yes.
    Is it nice if they are available? Sure.
    Are they crucial to the team playing well or winning matches? Absolutely not.

Some fans get carried away with how "vital" certain members of the squad are.

Kirby wrote: »

Some fans get carried away with how "vital" certain members of the squad are.

Indeed, I said it yesterday, Lucas is relatively easily replacable if a replacement is sought.

Gerrard is class no doubt, was superb at times last year, last year's team isn't this year's team though (formation wise).

Class is permanent form is temporary, decline due to age is another kettle of fish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Who would we replace Lucas with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

brevity wrote: »

Jay Spearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Marco Reus.

Any old player will do as it seems from the post above he is easily replacable.

I wouldn't have a clue personally. I wouldn't be able to nominate replacements for any of the Liverpool squad and I'm the first to admit it.

That accepted Joe Allen has done a more than acceptable job of deputising for Lucas recently, I do recall many reckoning we'd be in trouble with Allen in a midfield two against Man City.

If people reckon a better midfielder than Joe Allen (better as in more defensive minded, more capable a tackler and more physically capable of dominating the space ahead of the 3 CBs) can't be found and purchased relatively easily by Liverpool FC I'd be genuinely flabbergasted.

Now, I'm not convinced LFC will replace Lucas like for like.

Any old player will do as it seems from the post above he is easily replacable.

If the worst came to the worst I'm confident Rodgers would get the best out of them.
    you saw the word relatively I presume? Or are you being obtuse for the craic?

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Marco Reus.

No he had to replace Johnson at right back.

• Advertisement

DVDM93 wrote: »
    No he had to replace Johnson at right back.

He's so versatile he could do both surely... At the same time. Which means we could play an extra striker, preferably heskey.

The small details of this win make it all the more impressive. Like not getting back in to Liverpool until 4:30am Friday morning, probably not getting to bed 'til 6am. Game Sunday morning at 12 well my body clock would be shattered! They weren't coming back from bringing the kids to Disneyland either it was a 120 minute away game in Turkey against a decent side in an hostile atmosphere in which they got knocked out in penalties. Go on the lads :) proud so I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

There's a good base of players, assembled at a big enough cost. Goalkeeper, CM upgrade and CF and we'd be in a great position squad wise.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

If the current run continues in a similar enough way until the end of the season, then i'd say a realistic title attempt could be on next year, given that only 2, 3 players tops might be brought in, meaning there shouldn't be too much disruption, and the league won't be lost in the first 2 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

rob316 wrote: »

Some sort of performance type deal:

Let's say between 1-11

If he is performing well, getting an eight, he gets 80k a week, if he is doing a spinal tap(in) and like, going up to eleven, he gets his £110k a week.

If he keeps doing 2's and 3's, well that's only 20k or 30k per week and perhaps there is some sort scheme down the social to help lads like him going through tough times financially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Leon Britton

Definite no for me. I'm sick of Brittish players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Another positive - As it stands Liverpool lead the mini league of teams at the top of the table.

P F A GD Pts
    Liverpool 9 16 14 2 16
    Man City 9 16 10 6 15
    Chelsea 8 14 10 4 13
    Man Utd 7 8 5 3 11
    Tottenham 9 12 18 -6 11
    Arsenal 9 10 13 -3 9
    Southampton 9 6 12 -6 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Prior to him renewing his contract with Aston Villa, it looked like the club were lining up a move for Fabian Delph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Talisman wrote:
    P F A GD Pts Liverpool 9 16 14 2 16 Man City 9 16 10 6 15 Chelsea 8 14 10 4 13 Man Utd 7 8 5 3 11 Tottenham 9 12 18 -6 11 Arsenal 9 10 13 -3 9 Southampton 9 6 12 -6 7

wow that's impressive. we need another 6/9 to make sure of 4th I'd imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

were gunna win the mini league, were gunna win the mini league
    and nowwwww you're gunna believe us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Would ideally keep him as backup, and try to move heaven and earth to get Sami Khedira to join as first choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Would ideally keep him as backup, and try to move heaven and earth to get Sami Khedira to join as first choice.

Khedira would be a fantastic signing. You have to laugh at the people on here who wouldn't take him on a free transfer :rolleyes:

punk_one82 wrote: »
    Khedira would be a fantastic signing. You have to laugh at the people on here who wouldn't take him on a free transfer :rolleyes:

I think people just feel his lack of mobility wouldn't really suit our high pressing system. Nobody is debating his ability as a footballer. But not all good footballers will be successful in every system, see mata for proof of that. Superb player but needs to be in s certain style of play, I don't think he'd do very well here either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Just got a phone call from my mate. He tells me he can't go to the Palace game. I say OK :(
    He proceeds to tell me he has just gotten tickets for the Utd game and can I go. I said are u fcuking joking me of course :D

Kop 105
    Row 2
    Seats 99/100

I can't fcuking wait, roll on 22nd March biattchess :P

carlton-dance_o_gifsoup-com.gif?w=320&h=239

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Just got a phone call from my mate. He tells me he can't go to the Palace game. I say OK :(
    He proceeds to tell me he has just gotten tickets for the Utd game and can I go. I said are u fcuking joking me of course :D

Kop 105
    Row 2
    Seats 99/100

Lucky by name ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Just on the Lucas thing, it would only be relatively easy to replace him if we buy a better or more experienced player than him. This however is not in line with our transfer policy, thus making it more difficult.

Also, Lucas has had a very large part in bringing stability to our defence and midfield, the idea that we could slot someone it and keep everything moving smoothly is shaky at best.

Khedira and Lucas as backup would be ideal. If Lucas wants to go, then Khedira and that next Busquets (name escapes me) would be a good option.

Replacing him with a Leon Britton or Delph would be a mistake to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Kop 105
    Row 2
    Seats 99/100

Right down behind the net, watch for miss placed shots

I honestly think Sami would be a flop here. He just doesn't have the engine that I think we'll be looking for in that position. Also not sure he fits the policy (flawed policy perhaps) as opposed to a guy like kondogbia would. Perhaps he'll be aiming higher but of we get top 4 he'd surely be someone we could be looking at. Was superb when he was at sevilla and while he hasn't reached the heights at Monaco that I thought he would he's still been good and has still displayed moments of the huge potential he possesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

Illaremendai(sp?) from Madrid is supposed to be a target. A holding CM apparently? relatively young too costing around £17M. all paper talk of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Allen has done just as well as Lucas since he has come back in. Not saying he is a better DM or a long-term solution to our problems there, but his performances (before Sunday) were underrated by most.

Since the Man United game (which was a bit of a watermark in our season):

Lucas has started 12 games. We won 7, Drew 4, Lost 1. We conceded 9 goals or 0.75 per game.

Allen has started 5 games. We won 4, Lost 1. Conceded 3 goals, or 0.6 per game.

Allen has shown himself to be a viable alternative to Lucas. He has also played without the settled back 3 that we had for the last couple of months, as Sakho has been out and Can shifted around a bit.

We need an upgrade on both probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Kirby wrote: »
    I think the recent events might put some perspective into peoples opinions on certain players.

Are Lucas and Gerrard good players? Yes.
    Is it nice if they are available? Sure.
    Are they crucial to the team playing well or winning matches? Absolutely not.

If you do not think Lucas has been crucial to our uptick in form ,then I do not know what games you have been watching.

Allen ,good game against City aside, is nowhere near as effective a player.

And for those who think we should just replace him in the summer ,we have tried for 5 years to replace/upgrade him without success and you could state that UTD and Arsenal have been trying to do the same in that period without success.

Recent events changing people’s perspectives should include more than 1 game !

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement