Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015 Mod Note in OP 9/4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Wait till we buy over priced players in the future thanks to the new tv deal and talk about them not really being that expensive due to inflation.

It will be better than the whole net spend chats we have on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

mormank wrote: »
    Agreed. So with that said perhaps people's expectations of Lallana should be tempered. I think it will be next season at the earliest before we see the best of him in a Liverpool shirt, but he, like the majority of our recent signings were bought not just for one season.

I would expect much better from a 25m pound signing being honest, but yea hopefully theres a lot more to come from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭mormank

Wait till we buy over priced players in the future thanks to the new tv deal and talk about them not really being that expensive due to inflation.

It will be better than the whole net spend chats we have on here.

I'm not arguing that Lallana wasn't expensive. I just don't like those kind of statements because it kind of implies he was our second best signing of all time or that he should therefore be the second best player to ever play for us. Transfer fees have so many different variables these days that it's not as simple as just looking at a guy's transfer fee and deriving from that number how much of a contribution to the team that player should make. Yet people, online and off, constantly do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

2 points per game in the last 12 gets 69 points, very doable and something a good few saw as dream territory a couple of weeks ago. Whatever opinions are about Rodgers we seem to get galvanised in the second half of seasons.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

NukaCola wrote: »
    I would expect much better from a 25m pound signing being honest, but yea hopefully theres a lot more to come from him.

Torres is the only player we have signed in the last 10 years or so, off the top of my head, that has hit the ground running for us. Usually it is the second season or even later that we see their true worth.
    Personally I wouldn't write off any of our summer signings based on their performances thus far anyway, but I'm in the minority there I guess.

• Advertisement

Torres is the only player we have signed in the last 10 years or so, off the top of my head, that has hit the ground running for us. Usually it is the second season or even later that we see their true worth.
    Personally I wouldn't write off any of our summer signings based on their performances thus far anyway, but I'm in the minority there I guess.

Sturridge was running before he hit the ground :D
    Bit fragile admittedly.

Augeo wrote: »
    Sturridge was running before he hit the ground :D
    Bit fragile admittedly.

BOOM! I knew I was forgetting someone. :o

Still get my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

ricero wrote: »
    Has Jose Enrique falling of the face of the earth ?

Injured iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I'd give Lallana more time to be honest. He arrived with an injury so had no pre-season and then picked up two further injuries during the season. It's all been a bit stop start for him so far. He always seems to be just back from injury so has never really reached peak match fitness or sharpness.

Fitness permitting I think he's shown in spells that he could hit 10+ goals every season for the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

K-9 wrote: »
    2 points per game in the last 12 gets 69 points, very doable and something a good few saw as dream territory a couple of weeks ago. Whatever opinions are about Rodgers we seem to get galvanised in the second half of seasons.

I think 71 will be needed to ensure fourth, going by the alternate table.

I'm hoping Southampton do slide, but they're still on track for that tally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Lallana shouldn't have started yesterday and his performance showed that.

He couldn't handle the booing from the fans and just got rid of the ball time after time.

I'm glad Rodgers has changed things up eventually and shopuld be commended for it.

He has gotten some excellent performances out of Ibe, managed Sterling very well, brought back Lucas into midfield, turfed out Lovern and Johnson. It might have took some time but he has shown that he can change and adapt.

After such a shaky start we find ourselves 2 points off a top four finish, got to the semi final of one cup, favourites to get to the semi final of the FA cup at least and having a decent chance of making it to the last 16 of the Europa League.

Looks like injuries could hinder us this week though. Allen and Henderson might be ok for Southampton and Besiktas, but Man City will be a whole other kettle of fish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

I can see it now. Final day of the season at Goodison Park. United need to win to get top 4 and Everton need to win to avoid relegation.

While we watch happily as champions :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

DVDM93 wrote: »
    I can see it now. Final day of the season at Goodison Park. United need to win to get top 4 and Everton need to win to avoid relegation.

... until Peter Crouch heads home in the 95th minute.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

... until Peter Crouch heads home in the 95th minute.

Charlie Adam scores directly from a corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Charlie Adam scores directly from a corner.

'Charlie, Charlie, get up or you'll be late for training dear.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Inflation or not approx 25m for Lallana still looks steep. Even if he delivers his Southampton form it is still steep.

As for the 2nd most expensive signing ever I didn't intend it to be misleading, just an observation.

I've seen 16, 20 and 25 million banded around for lallana depends which one ya want to choose to get your point across I guess.

If lallana has a 10+10 season (goals & assists) think it will be a very food first season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

klose wrote: »

If lallana has a 10+10 season (goals & assists) think it will be a very food first season.

You burger believe it

We overpaid for some players for sure. Most clubs do. Spurs and Utd are two examples.

Some players take a good while to settle also so some of the not so goods may improve yet.

However we got some bargains too.

Can, Coutinho and Sturridge spring to mind.

I'm not writing Lallana off, just that we spent big on him and i dont see why. Even his Southampton form does not justify the price, but ya he a decent player but isn't showing his worth consistently. You'd have thought he'd settle better than most with the system we play.

Just because I think he isn't worth 23m+ does not mean I dont rate him.

klose wrote: »
    I've seen 16, 20 and 25 million banded around for lallana depends which one ya want to choose to get your point across I guess.

Liverpool echo quoted 23m. They are fairly reliable.

If he gets 10 and 10 it would be very good i agree.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »

I said a few weeks back that we'll be doing very well to make it to the mid 60's point wise. This run of form has been incredible though. 2 ppg is looking quite possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I think if we can beat Besiktas and City this week our momentum will be unbelievable. Possibly even rival that of the title push last year (minus the colossal falling apart)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Vicxas wrote: »
    I think if we can beat Besiktas and City this week our momentum will be unbelievable. Possibly even rival that of the title push last year (minus the colossal falling apart)

Even beating besiktas and not loosing to city will help keep the run going.any points picked up in the city game would be great with them having to play a few of the teams around LFC.

I'm not arguing that Lallana wasn't expensive. I just don't like those kind of statements because it kind of implies he was our second best signing of all time or that he should therefore be the second best player to ever play for us. Transfer fees have so many different variables these days that it's not as simple as just looking at a guy's transfer fee and deriving from that number how much of a contribution to the team that player should make. Yet people, online and off, constantly do this.

When did I imply that he should be the second best player ever?

Him being the second most expensive signing in our history is a fact. We paid a big fee for a player who doesn't get into our best 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Two draws from our next couple of fixtures will do me fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

lallana was bought for the price Southampton would accept for him...same as Sturridge from chelsea...fee does not equate to worth ...see di maria for extreme example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

niallo27 wrote: »
    Jaysus villa are fair ****e.

Unbelievable Lambert lasted as long as he did. What a dreadful, dreadful team they've been this year.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Unbelievable Lambert lasted as long as he did. What a dreadful, dreadful team they've been this year.

Its scary though how bad they've been. Everton too have been shocking this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Villa haven't just being shocking this year. At the risk of upsetting another set of boards fans I will enjoy them getting relegated this year.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    I think 71 will be needed to ensure fourth, going by the alternate table.

I'm hoping Southampton do slide, but they're still on track for that tally.

Extrapulate their season to date ppg out to the end of the season and they finish on 67/68, I'd be amazed if they got more and surprised if they got 67 :)

they've shown no signs that they've underachieved so where they are going to pull very close to 2ppg over 12 games from I don't know.

lallana was bought for the price Southampton would accept for him...

And what we were willing to pay. Fee does not equate to worth but at some point you have to see how a player will benefit the team and adjust your offer based on how badly you want that player. 23m+ to me suggests we really wanted Lallana. I mean I'm happy enough we have him just think he's overpriced is all, especially as he is more of a squad player than starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Villa haven't just being shocking this year. At the risk of upsetting another set of boards fans I will enjoy them getting relegated this year.

I don't have any problem with them. I just want Randy Lerner to **** off.

Turtyturd wrote: »

I wouldn't go that far Turty. Thats cold! :pac:

But yea Villa have been awful for a long time now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Gbear wrote: »
    I don't have any problem with them.

you should
    They reguarly have taken points of us each season but give it up faster than a Longford nurse in Coppers when its Utd

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

DVDM93 wrote: »

Everton play utd in april. 5th last game of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

you should
    They reguarly have taken points of us each season but give it up faster than a Longford nurse in Coppers when its Utd

You could level that accusation at a couple of clubs. Thankfully it doesn't seem to be an issue anymore though. ;)

I always see people claiming that recent leagues have been "poor" because the top teams are dropping too many points. I have actually loved seeing this as it's a sign that teams that are supposedly lesser are no longer willing to roll over and die. More teams are putting it up to the top teams with much more belief than a couple of years ago and that's exactly how it should be.

It makes the league better, not poorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Serious question

If we got to the Europa League final with 4th wrapped up and Utd in 5th. Where us winning would mean they got a Champions League spot how would people feel watching that match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

x43r0 wrote: »
    Serious question

If we got to the Europa League final with 4th wrapped up and Utd in 5th. Where us winning would mean they got a Champions League spot how would people feel watching that match?

This again.

The 5th spot only comes active if the winner of the EL or CL finishes outside the Top 4.

So, Longford this weekend?

rarnes1 wrote: »
    So, Longford this weekend?

Not this weekend dear, i've a headache....

• Advertisement

Serious question

rob316 wrote: »
    This again.

The 5th spot only comes active if the winner of the EL or CL finishes outside the Top 4.

And anyway, would still want a trophy.......

Serious question

If us winning a trophy meant Utd qualified for the next 10 years I'd still want us to win.

You sure it was a serious question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

And anyway, would still want a trophy.......

Yes was just about to edit my post. I WANT A TROPHY, what fan wouldn't ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

This again.

My bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Yes was just about to edit my post. I WANT A TROPHY, what fan wouldn't ?
    I want Arsenals 4th place trophy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Beat City and we are only 7 points behind them.

If that happens I'd be aiming higher than 4th.

To me getting top 4 this season would be a better achievement then last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

The Liverpool side that started against Southampton was the youngest fielded in the PL this season with an average age of 23.4 years.

Sure didn't I say that yesterday!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94408530&postcount=166

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

gafferino wrote: »
    Enrique injured iirc

Back in the gym after injury, not yet on the pitch. Would be good to have him, Lucas and Flanagan back for the tail of the season, we could have a few games close enough...

I wouldn't go that far Turty. Thats cold! :pac:

As with Arsenal it stems from 97% of their boards fans. I can still remember their posts hoping they would lose to City in the run in......as if there was another possible outcome.

Obviously have your eyes on the gremlin of the month trophy too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement