Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comeback if TV is not what you bought, when you get it home?

Options
  • 22-02-2015 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭

Bought a new TV from Harvey Norman. I selected one that has a stand in the centre of the TV, that is about a foot wide. The TV needs to have a stand like this, as it will be sitting on a rather narrow table. The table is not wide enough to take a TV that stands on two legs, one on each side.

When I was buying the TV, the salesman and I spoke about this, so he knew what kind of stand I needed. He carried it out to my car for me after I paid for it. Before we left the shop, I didn't think to inspect the picture of the TV on the box in detail, at was dark and lashing rain. I saw that the box had the brand name and size of TV I had bought and that was all I really looked at. Got it home and opened it up. Lo and behold the damm thing has the very kind of stand legs that I can not use. The picture on the box matches the TV inside.

Will take it back to tomorrow. Where do I stand on this, as (a) the item has been opened, so it voids the normal store refund policy and (b) it will be my word against the sales man. He was in the wrong, as he picked up the wrong box in the store room. I was in the wrong, as I didn't inspect the picture on the box, before I left the shop, or when I got it home.

If they can just give me the same telly with the stand that I wanted, that I saw on the shop floor, that would be fine. But if they have none in stock and I am back to square one, where do I stand regarding getting a refund? Getting a different/bigger table for the TV is not an option, as its the only one that fits in that corner of the room.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sounds like a simple case of the wrong item supplied. You picked the one you wanted in the store and they picked up the wrong one. Just take it back, with the packaging as complete as possible. Shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Can't see it being a problem. You might even get the display model at a decent discount if they can't give you a boxed one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Really? Even if it has been opened? I am a bit nervous about this, as I had a discussion with a salesman about returning items. Originally, I thought about buying a bigger TV than the one that I wound up buying. I was worried it may not fit in the corner that it was going in. So I asked a salesperson about their returns policy, if you need to bring something back, due to it not fitting your room, not because it is defective. (I think the man I spoke it may have been the manager, as he was wearing a different colour shirt to the other sales staff.)

Anyway, he explained that if the item has been opened, I can not get a refund, unless the item is defective. Fair enough sez I & I just bought a smaller telly, that I was sure would fit the smaller space. So given all that, I am a wee bit worried that if this same dude sees me tomorrow, he will think that I am trying to pull a fast one, as I am not happy with the size of the telly, not because the TV & stand is not the one I originally picked out & paid for.

Should I accept the floor model if they offer it to me? What if I get it home and I see scratches on the glass, or something else wrong with it, that I didn't notice in the shop?

This is only the second TV I have ever bought, hence my paranoia. Do Harvey Norman have a good reputation for this sort of thing?

The unopened box thing is only where you want to return something due to a change of mind. From what you've told us you this is a simple error, not hindsight on your part. Consumer law is not confined to defective products, it covers many situations including where the TV provided was not the one you selected. You are entitled to have that error corrected either with the TV you wanted or substitute acceptable to you or, failing that, a refund.
    From what I've heard HN have a good reputation.
    Minor scratches etc are to be expected with display models so it's your choice if you want to accept one should they offer it. If they do I'd be looking for a significant discount depending on condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

That sounds good. But seeing as I didn't check the picture on the box before I left the shop, can they just say too bad, that is up there with not checking your change before you leave the counter?

• Advertisement

Its just a box, normally you can expect the picture to correspond with the contents but there's no guarantee. You still ordered and believed you were given a TV with a foot stand, not a different one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

From your post it seems to me a simple error. Do not be apologetic. You did not pick the wrong TV. The salesman put the wrong tv in your car, so it is his mistake. Approach them calmly and confidently and you will get it sorted.

Advertisement