Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick release on singlespeed

• 22-02-2015 10:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of converting an old road bike frame (with horizontal drop-outs) to single speed for commuting. Was planning on using an existing pair of shimano R501 wheels plus a singlespeed conversion kit (some hub spacers and a 1/8th sprocket). The problem is that the wheels are obviously quick release and I've heard this isn't exactly ideal as the skewers may slip in the horizontal (not track) drop outs leading to possibly dangerous results.

Anyone have any experience of this? Will a standard quick release skewer hold the wheel tight enough to prevent slippage? Would swapping to an allen-key bolt on skewer provide any additional grip? Any other quick fixes or is this a non-issue once everything's tightened up properly?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

If you use a decent skewer (XT Level or similar) and a Tuggnut or a similar chain tensioner that the skewer would pass through you can get away with it. Personally, I wouldn't.
    If none of that is making sense have a look at this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Quick release is fine, you just need to do it up tight, allen key nuts are harder to get properly tight and don't really work in my experience. If it's not tight enough the wheel will move enough to rub off the frame when you put enough force through the pedals, most likely when pulling off at lights, so not exactly dangerous. Even on a wheel with track nuts you've to be careful to do them up tight enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I might try it with a decent steel internal cam quick release skewer and see if there's any slippage. Do you think serrated washers would make any difference in improving grip?

Advertisement