Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weetabix!

Options
  • 22-02-2015 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

I have Weetabix!
    Non ex-pats have no idea how happy that makes me. They sell them now in my local Walmart, together with Tetleys Tea, and McVitte's chocolate covered digestives.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Tetleys Tea?

TETLEYS ?????

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Get some Barrys or Lyons into you, or get lost ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Tetleys Tea?

TETLEYS ?????

Barry's on sale in the supermarket across the road from my house....granted in Ireland it could buy me three boxes, but now I don't have go 10 blocks away to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Tetleys Tea?

TETLEYS ?????

Hey, I takes what I can get- Tetley's is $2.99 for 80 tea bags from Walmart, Barry's is $11.98 for 40 bags from the local specialty shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I've been getting my Weetabix at Trader Joe's for a while now, haven't seen it at Walmart yet though.

silja wrote: »
    Hey, I takes what I can get- Tetley's is $2.99 for 80 tea bags from Walmart, Barry's is $11.98 for 40 bags from the local specialty shop.

Excuses, excuses...somethings are sacred and the cupan tae is one of them. Jeez, next, you'll be telling us you eat Jimmy Dean sausages, and you don't pay Mexican drug lords thousands of dollars to smuggle Superquinns finest into the country for you, like the rest of us do ! :eek:

#Slacker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Pretty sure that World Market have Barry's for cheaper then that. I think it's about $7 for 80 bags near me.

*edit* $48 for 480 bags on the website (6 x 80) which isn't horrendous. They sell them by the box in store.

Linky

Be careful when you are buying your Weetabix silja.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057386964

Then again, 135,000 smackers would buy you a lorra lorra Barrys tea !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Tetleys Tea?

TETLEYS ?????

^ I agree!

Might be time to amend the forum charter. Can't be having this kind of carry on.

Looks like I need to step down as moderator for the forum :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Looks like I need to step down as moderator for the forum :P

Ah it's alright, I don't drink tea at all (unless I'm visiting someone's house of course!). I still have about 150 Barry's tea bags in the house though, I hope they don't go off...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

Whats wrong with the american cereals

cena wrote: »
    Whats wrong with the american cereals

everything

High in sugar, bland tasting and uh...high in sugar

everything

High in sugar, bland tasting and uh...high in sugar

It's not even sugar, it's corn syrup.

Ye are ex pats for a reason. Its odd when Irish people leave Ireland they can't stay away from Irish things. Enjoy what ye have in america. Ye wouldn't have left the country if really enjoy all things Irish.
    This is just my view.

I don't like anything Irish at all and I live here.

Ye are ex pats for a reason. Its odd when Irish people leave Ireland they can't stay away from Irish things. Enjoy what ye have in america. Ye wouldn't have left the country if really enjoy all things Irish.
    This is just my view.

I don't like anything Irish at all and I live here.

I've lived out of Ireland for nearly 10 years and I still like my Lyons tea , denny sausages and a bag of tayto's every now and then.

Conversely I love my Spanish food and comforts that I got used to when I lived there. And now there is a lot of american things that I like that should we ever leave i'll want to find.

A lot of us left Ireland for so many different reasons - I left because of a relationship and life eventually led me to the states. If I hadn't met my GF that day walking down the street, I'd probably still be living in Ireland and perfectly happy.

Don't begrudge people a bit of comfort just because you would sell your own family to get the american dream.

I've lived out of Ireland for nearly 10 years and I still like my Lyons tea , denny sausages and a bag of tayto's every now and then.

Conversely I love my Spanish food and comforts that I got used to when I lived there. And now there is a lot of american things that I like that should we ever leave i'll want to find.

A lot of us left Ireland for so many different reasons - I left because of a relationship and life eventually led me to the states. If I hadn't met my GF that day walking down the street, I'd probably still be living in Ireland and perfectly happy.

Don't begrudge people a bit of comfort just because you would sell your own family to get the american dream.
    I'd sell my soul. Want to buy? I get what your saying. Not the american dream I'm after in a way. It feels like I belong there when I am over on holidays

I'd sell my soul. Want to buy? I get what your saying. Not the american dream I'm after in a way. It feels like I belong there when I am over on holidays

Oh I get you as well, life here is good. My point was that you also can't erase where you come from. You see it here all the time. I live in a neighborhood with mainly cantonese and vietnamese inhabitants - the food is predominantly asian. It isn't just Irish people that have this. People from spanish america live the same way, a lot of mexican and peruvian cuisine everywhere in california.

The other thing...I'm not an expat - i'm an immigrant to the US and an emigrant from Ireland :).

Oh I get you as well, life here is good. My point was that you also can't erase where you come from. You see it here all the time. I live in a neighborhood with mainly cantonese and vietnamese inhabitants - the food is predominantly asian. It isn't just Irish people that have this. People from spanish america live the same way, a lot of mexican and peruvian cuisine everywhere in california.

The other thing...I'm not an expat - i'm an immigrant to the US and an emigrant from Ireland :).

What an expat than?

an expat is what irish and english people call themselves when they are abroad to make themselves feel better about their status in whatever country they're in.

Let's face it - in ireland you hear "foreign nationals" and immigrants when talking about Eastern European/African immigrants. You'd never hear someone talk about a "Polish expat".

For me, an expat is someone who intends to return- who is abroad for work or study, but plans on going back "home" in the short to medium term. An emmigrant/ immigrant has no plans to return.

As to cena's point: I enjoy grits and fried okra, but I enjoy European chocolate and Irish tea too. I think we are entitled to like what we like, no matter why we are not in Ireland. That being said, in my own case, I didn't really want to leave the island, but my American husband simply could not adjust, and we could buy a 4 bedroom home with a garden here for half the price of our one bedroom flat in Dublin city, so once we had kids, we moved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Every Fresh and Easy store I've gone to has had some European stuff e.g. Crunchies, Toffee Crisps, McVittees, Flakes and a few other random things

Trust me cena, if/when you are successful in moving the US, there will be plenty of things that you miss from home. You just don't realize it yet, as right now, you take them for granted.

"Them" may be decent tea, Irish whiskey, sliced pan that doesn't have a lb of sugar per slice, proper rashers and sausages, Cidona, Easter eggs, chips & curry sauce, decent Guinness, Selection Boxes on Xmas morning, proper batch bread, black & white pudding, Superquinn sausages, soda bread, proper Cadburys chocolate, baked beans, a kebab at 2am, Tayto crisps, chipper fish and chips, lemon bon bons, Heinz salad cream, proper cream eggs, sijla's beloved Weetabix,Terrys chocolate orange, mushy peas, Ballymaloe relish, Bisto gravy, red lemonade, jam donuts, chocolate digestive biscuits....and probably loads more things that I am forgetting.

Once you don't get to consume any of those things on a daily basis anymore, you'll realize how much you miss them & took them for granted when you lived here. And you'll be perfectly willing to sell your soul to get your hands on them, just like the rest of us. :D

Trust me cena, if/when you are successful in moving the US, there will be plenty of things that you miss from home. You just don't realize it yet, as right now, you take them for granted.

"Them" may be decent tea, Irish whiskey, sliced pan that doesn't have a lb of sugar per slice, proper rashers and sausages, Cidona, Easter eggs, chips & curry sauce, decent Guinness, Selection Boxes on Xmas morning, proper batch bread, black & white pudding, Superquinn sausages, soda bread, proper Cadburys chocolate, baked beans, a kebab at 2am, Tayto crisps, chipper fish and chips, lemon bon bons, Heinz salad cream, proper cream eggs, sijla's beloved Weetabix,Terrys chocolate orange, mushy peas, Ballymaloe relish, Bisto gravy, red lemonade, jam donuts, chocolate digestive biscuits....and probably loads more things that I am forgetting.

Once you don't get to consume any of those things on a daily basis anymore, you'll realize how much you miss them & took them for granted when you lived here. And you'll be perfectly willing to sell your soul to get your hands on them, just like the rest of us. :D

DAMN YOU VILE DUB....i'm sat at my desk salivating right now, it also doesn't help matters that my own manager is talking about stuff that he misses from Switzerland

The only upside is that I just got a jar of ballymaloe relish - i know a guy (actually an irish deli a few blocks from home) - so when I get home..the teaspoon is coming out.

No problem...just in case you aren't drooling enough.....Custard creams, Yorkshire pud with yer mammys Sunday roast dinner, Frys peppermint creams, After Eights and OMFG AFTER EIGHT VIENETTA STYLE ICE CREAM !!!!!

Sorry, where I was I? Oh yeah....club milks, Cadburys drinking chocolate, Dennys ham, cream eclairs, rasher sambos made with Kerrygold & Vienna roll, coffee slices, Birds Eyes potato waffles with your Sunday morning fry, Gubeen/Dubliner/really good n'stinky Cashel blue cheese, The Holt Trinity aka the purple, pink and yellow Snacks, pickled onions, tins of Roses & Quality Street, King salt and vinegar crisps, Wexford strawberries, proper daycint flowery shpuds, a breakfast roll in a freshly made bap, spiced beef, Galway bay oysters with your pint o'plain, Yorkie bars, coddle, trifle, potato croquettes with your turkey on Stephens Day, Scots Clan sweets, Calvita cheese sambos in your lunch box, cocktail sossies & rice Krispie cakes at kids parties, club orange WITH BITS, mince pies, platters of egg & tomato sambos at funerals.....ok, I'd better stop, as that last one was a bit weird....:p

You can kiss them all goodbye when you move cena. :(

No problem...just in case you aren't drooling enough.....Custard creams, Yorkshire pud with yer mammys Sunday roast dinner, Frys peppermint creams, After Eights and OMFG AFTER EIGHT VIENETTA STYLE ICE CREAM !!!!!

Sorry, where I was I? Oh yeah....club milks, Cadburys drinking chocolate, Dennys ham, cream eclairs, rasher sambos made with Kerrygold & Vienna roll, coffee slices, Birds Eyes potato waffles with your Sunday morning fry, Gubeen/Dubliner/really good n'stinky Cashel blue cheese, The Holt Trinity aka the purple, pink and yellow Snacks, pickled onions, tins of Roses & Quality Street, King salt and vinegar crisps, Wexford strawberries, proper daycint flowery shpuds, a breakfast roll in a freshly made bap, spiced beef, Galway bay oysters with your pint o'plain, Yorkie bars, coddle, trifle, potato croquettes with your turkey on Stephens Day, Scots Clan sweets, Calvita cheese sambos in your lunch box, cocktail sossies & rice Krispie cakes at kids parties, club orange WITH BITS, mince pies, platters of egg & tomato sambos at funerals.....ok, I'd better stop, as that last one was a bit weird....:p

You can kiss them all goodbye when you move cena. :(

I'm not a chocolate eater, so I well be on that side. One thing I have noticed is lack of curry chips in new York. Not sure its like elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

What I really miss is proper post pub food. Like a kebab shop or a proper chipper. Organic burgers or burritos after a few pints just aren't the same. It's not that I even go to the pub that often but the last one or two times I had a serious hankering for a spice burger and chips.

Most of the stuff on the above lists I can get hold of (Amazon has almost everything) or have sent to me by the Mammy back home.

I'm not a chocolate eater, so I well be on that side. One thing I have noticed is lack of curry chips in new York. Not sure its like elsewhere?

ah ha! everyone has an achilles heel - even you mighty cent

No - it is almost impossible to get "proper" curry chips anywhere in the US - i've tried!

However...I used to work in a chipper and make a pretty good approximation at home. However..no one can replicate the post pub goodness that was supermacs garlic chips and cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

ah ha! everyone has an achilles heel - even you mighty cent

No - it is almost impossible to get "proper" curry chips anywhere in the US - i've tried!

However...I used to work in a chipper and make a pretty good approximation at home. However..no one can replicate the post pub goodness that was supermacs garlic chips and cheese.

I brought back some of that chip shop curry sauce you can buy in the supermarket. It's decent enough but there is no substitute for a proper chipper chip :(

The majority of the things mentioned in my two posts, were not chocolate related. So there are plenty of non choccy items for you to miss, be it the curry sauce or something else. No, you can't get curry sauce (as we know it) in the States. You will get a curry sauce of sorts in Indian restaurants, but it won't be like our curry sauce and it certainly won't be available all over the place, the way it is here. It is also hard to get on its own, you generally have to order a curry dish, to get the sauce. You'd also have to go to an Indian restaurant to get it & and they are fairly thin on the ground compared to others styles of restaurants. There are also very few Indian takeaways, as we know them.

• Advertisement

i prefer lipton tea to barrys tea etc

Advertisement