Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East Coast USA for 9 days

Options
  • 22-02-2015 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm finishing up a trip in South America with a visit to the east coast of USA and I'm hoping to get some advice on places to visit.

My return flight to Ireland is from New York on April 10th and I will be arriving in the US in Fort Lauderdale on April 1st.

There are a few cities that I'd like to see:

1: Fort Lauderdale
    Is this worth staying overnight? I could get a bus to Miami or fly directly to another city.

2. Washington - 2 nights
    - bus to Phildelphia

3. Phildelphia - 2 nights
    - bus to New York

4. New York - 2 nights
    - Fly home to Dublin
    I was here over the summer so 1 full day should be enough.

I realise that there's a big gap between Fort Lauderdale and Washington, so maybe I'll get a flight straight to washington when I arrive in Fort Lauderdale but I'm worried that I'll be missing out on something there (maybe Jacksonville or Savannah). Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Kevo wrote: »
    I realise that there's a big gap between Fort Lauderdale and Washington, so maybe I'll get a flight straight to washington when I arrive in Fort Lauderdale but I'm worried that I'll be missing out on something there (maybe Jacksonville or Savannah). Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Kevin

I dont know that there's anything in Jacksonville is there?

St.Augustine is supposed to be beautiful. One of the first communities established in the USA i think.

Savannah too. And Charleston.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Micksy Rabbit

I'm spending 10 days in Florida and am looking for somewhere really cheap to stay anywhere around West Palm beach or Fort Lauderdale. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sunnysylvester

I’ve heard annual leave is Canada is fairly poor at 10/15days per year on average vs 20 statutory days min in Ireland. That being the case,I wonder if I’d be better spending a month or so when I arrive over travellingto say Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal, before flying over to Vancouver to find ajob and place to live . . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

You could easily spend a week in DC, but if it's to be two days...

Hit up the Air & Space, a tour of the Capitol building, and see what the queue is like for the Washington Monument. If it's pretty long, or it looks like a cold wait, head down to the Jefferson memorial and walk round the basin, through the Roosevelt, MLK and up to the WW2, then follow the reflecting pool back to the Lincoln memorial, then check out the Vietnam memorial, and back to the Washington to see if the queue is better. It's a couple of blocks walk from there back to where the bars, etc are, but if you're into beer check out The Big Hunt, Pizza Paradiso or Churchkey which are all around Dupont (15ish blocks north of the Lincoln memorial). Finish off your night with a burger from Shakeshack.

If you're into coffee, check out either Peregrine or Filter (Capitol Hill/Foggy Bottom/Dupont). Foodwise, Oyamel is amazing an amazing Mexican joint, but Dc has lots of great food spots. Search whatever you're into on Zagat (Or Yelp at least) before you go out. Don't go to Ben's Chilli Bowl unless you want the sh*ts, regardless of what guides say, but do see who's playing in the 9.30 club.

You're near Arlington Cemetery, Oldtown and Georgetown too. Georgetown is good for higher end shopping, Oldtown is good for higher end eating and Arlington Cemetery is good for a walkaround. But I wouldn't go that far out if you're short on time. If you really want to see the White House, you can, but unless you can get yourself booked on a tour, I wouldn't bother too much - You'll get a better view from the Washington Monument.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

Fort Lauderdale isn't worth visiting. If you want a couple of days on the beach in Florida go to Miami instead - better sights, food, architecture, nightlife, etc.

Philadelphia is also skippable IMOP. Do an extra night or two in Washington or NYC instead. If you want to get a visit in to an additional city consider Charleston or better yet, New Orleans.

• Advertisement
Advertisement