Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Accommodation

Options
  • 22-02-2015 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi. Heading to Nyc in November with my partner. Looking for somewhere nice to stay but there all about the $2000 mark for seven nights plus taxes etc. is this normal or can anyone reccomd somewhere ? Don't want a dump either but $2k is crazy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

You could try using Airbnb. It's still pretty expensive if you want a place to yourself for a week that's very central in Manhattan but might be cheaper then hotels and you get your own apartment for the week so you could make your own breakfasts or eat in a couple of nights to bring down your cost. A quick search on the site I noted a one bedroom apartment which cost €1450 for 2 for a week in November and it's within walking distance to Times Square etc.

If you're willing to stay a bit further out or outside of Manhattan, you could probably get something considerably cheaper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

Hotel 31, in Manhattan. Shared bathroom but great reviews and very cheap.. Am staying there in November myself, €430 for four nights, and thats for the two of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Pecker31 wrote: »
    Hi. Heading to Nyc in November with my partner. Looking for somewhere nice to stay but there all about the $2000 mark for seven nights plus taxes etc. is this normal or can anyone reccomd somewhere ? Don't want a dump either but $2k is crazy!

I was there with my girlfriend plus 2 others in December. We used Air BnB. We got an apartment in Astoria, Queens (20 minute subway ride to Midtown) for 8 nights for €1000 between the 4 of us, so €250 each. I believe short term lets are not legal in NYC but unless someone reports you I think you would be ok. Just don't annoy the neighbours!

Myself and my girlfriend also visited NYC in 2013 and stayed 7 nights in a Manhattan hotel at a cost of €1400. Even if we didn't have 2 others to share accommodation costs with in December we still would have saved €400 by using Air BnB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Pecker31

I was there with my girlfriend plus 2 others in December. We used Air BnB. We got an apartment in Astoria, Queens (20 minute subway ride to Midtown) for 8 nights for €1000 between the 4 of us, so €250 each. I believe short term lets are not legal in NYC but unless someone reports you I think you would be ok. Just don't annoy the neighbours!

Myself and my girlfriend also visited NYC in 2013 and stayed 7 nights in a Manhattan hotel at a cost of €1400. Even if we didn't have 2 others to share accommodation costs with in December we still would have saved €400 by using Air BnB.

Thanks for that we were looking at Air bnb last night and nyhabitat also - I have a fear that I will get there and we'll have no where to stay with these places!! It's crazy spending $2000 when it could be spent elsewhere! Are they totally legit yea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Pecker31 wrote: »
    Thanks for that we were looking at Air bnb last night and nyhabitat also - I have a fear that I will get there and we'll have no where to stay with these places!! It's crazy spending $2000 when it could be spent elsewhere! Are they totally legit yea

We have used Airbnb twice since September, once in New York and once on Vancouver. I couldn't fault it anyway. The two apartments we rented were as described on Airbnb. The hosts were friendly and couldn't have done enough for us. Our Vancouver host even left some basics (milk, orange juice, bread) in the fridge for us when we arrived. Just do your homework on the areas where the apartments are and make sure your hosts have a good number of positive reviews and you should be ok. We will be using Airbnb again. I've never used nyhabitat so can't offer you advice there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Lets of under 30 days are illegal in nyc unless it's a hotel or purpose built tourist apartments. You take a big risk with air bnb there as the authorities are cracking down hard on illegal letting.

November is an expensive time in NY but you should be able to pick up something decent for less than you've been quoted. Check out Fitzpatricks at Grand Central. Usually good rates there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭djburchgrove

get an Air Bnb in Brooklyn. coolest part of NYC. short trip into Manhattan and very reasonable prices .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Try either of the two POD Hotels. Really great places. Stayed in POD39 a few months ago, absolutely loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I would always recommend the New Yorker, having stayed there a couple of times.

8th Ave and 35th opposite Penn Station, so it's bang in midtown.
    If you shop around the usual sites, you should get it for about $200 a night.
    And the Tick Tock diner on the ground floor is a great way to start off a day's shopping or sightseeing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭djburchgrove

Use Code EASTER17 on Ratestogo.com and get 17% off Bookings.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭AndersLimpar

The Pennsylvania in Midtown is usually good value? The hotel is enormous and a little old fashioned but the location is superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

athtrasna wrote: »
    Lets of under 30 days are illegal in nyc unless it's a hotel or purpose built tourist apartments. You take a big risk with air bnb there as the authorities are cracking down hard on illegal letting.

Nope, they're not. Can you point to a single person whose airbnb rental in nyc fell through because of some sort of crack down by the authorities?

Thousands use the service to rent apartments literally every day in nyc and the number of problems are almost nill. It's technically illegal but the authorities are not prosecuting it in any meaningful way. I know several people here who rent their apartments out using it and have found units on it for family members and friends visiting the city numerous times.

OP - as long as you rent an apartment with a long history of postive reviews from previous renters you will be fine. Hotels in nyc are ridiculously overpriced and most of them are in neighborhoods that are lousy to stay in.

Nope, they're not. Can you point to a single person whose airbnb rental in nyc fell through because of some sort of crack down by the authorities?

Thousands use the service to rent apartments literally every day in nyc and the number of problems are almost nill. It's technically illegal but the authorities are not prosecuting it in any meaningful way. I know several people here who rent their apartments out using it and have found units on it for family members and friends visiting the city numerous times.

OP - as long as you rent an apartment with a long history of postive reviews from previous renters you will be fine. Hotels in nyc are ridiculously overpriced and most of them are in neighborhoods that are lousy to stay in.

Well here's a judge ruling AirBnB to be illegal http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/21/technology/innovation/airbnb-illegal-new-york/ and here's an article about the crackdown http://animalnewyork.com/2015/airbnb-unintentionally-helped-nycs-crackdown-illegal-hotels/ oh and if that's not good enough, how about this Wall Street Journal article http://www.wsj.com/articles/ny-attorney-general-to-crack-down-on-airbnbs-short-term-rentals-1413464500

I use AirBnB myself but not in NY or in any of the many US cities clamping down on it, it's too big a risk. I've always gotten good deals. My way of doing this is find something on booking.com that's cancellable at a rate you're willing to pay if you have to. Book that as your fall back. Then watch travelzoo.com for specials, and use betterbidding.com to suss out Hotwire and Priceline. Always manage to find a bargain that way without relying on someone who's breaking the law.

Well here's a judge ruling AirBnB to be illegal http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/21/technology/innovation/airbnb-illegal-new-york/ and here's an article about the crackdown http://animalnewyork.com/2015/airbnb-unintentionally-helped-nycs-crackdown-illegal-hotels/ oh and if that's not good enough, how about this Wall Street Journal article http://www.wsj.com/articles/ny-attorney-general-to-crack-down-on-airbnbs-short-term-rentals-1413464500

I use AirBnB myself but not in NY or in any of the many US cities clamping down on it, it's too big a risk. I've always gotten good deals. My way of doing this is find something on booking.com that's cancellable at a rate you're willing to pay if you have to. Book that as your fall back. Then watch travelzoo.com for specials, and use betterbidding.com to suss out Hotwire and Priceline. Always manage to find a bargain that way without relying on someone who's breaking the law.

Yes, like I said airbnb is technically illegal. So is jaywalking. I asked for evidence of anybody getting in trouble for renting through airbnb, can you supply that? Nope.

Subletting has always been illegal in nyc, that hasn't stopped people doing it for decades. I don't know anybody who hasn't illegally sublet their apt at one point and another - the police and DAs do not ever prosecute against this.

On Airbnb if there is any issue with a landlord cancelling on airbnb at the last minute they will rehouse you in a better place without charge because they don't want any bad publicity.

What are you going to get on booking.com? Another ridiculously overpriced hotel in godawful midtown. Seriously, from the point of someone who actually lives here and helps people book accommodation in nyc all the time advising against airbnb is bad advice if value is at all a question for the prospective tenant, as seemed to be the case with the OP.

I never stay in the booking.com hotel, there are better deals to be had, the booking is my insurance until I sort something better, usually closer to the date. Check the nyc forum on Tripadvisor for tales of short term let nightmares

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭fruttituttii

Hi

This summer I'm planning to take a visit to family in Detroit for the summer but I'm thinking while I'm in America I may aswel go to New York, I've never travelled before apart from Spain etc so I'm wondering could someone recommend an area to stay in? I'm only 20 so can't be too expensive, prob stay for a week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Stayed in Pod 39 last summer by myself for four nights. Great spot - fantastic location too!

Stayed in Pod 39 last summer by myself for four nights. Great spot - fantastic location too!

Just checked prices there, averaging 200quid a night in midjuly, I'm afraid I couldn't spend that much,
    Or is that what the general price would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Just checked prices there, averaging 200quid a night in midjuly, I'm afraid I couldn't spend that much,
    Or is that what the general price would be?

That's the general hotel price, tbh. Consider hostels or airbnb. Don't forget that some places don't include taxes in their total prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

Just checked prices there, averaging 200quid a night in midjuly, I'm afraid I couldn't spend that much, Or is that what the general price would be?

You're not going to get midtown Manhattan for less than that. check out Long Island City in Queens. its only 10 minutes on the subway to Manhattan but prices are much cheaper.

• Advertisement

Cheers, would it be wise to book it now instead of waiting? Can you recommend any hostels?

I never stay in the booking.com hotel, there are better deals to be had, the booking is my insurance until I sort something better, usually closer to the date. Check the nyc forum on Tripadvisor for tales of short term let nightmares

Oh, but you can't supply any actual links? I'm pretty sure you can trawl Tripadvisor and find more than a few people who've had bad experiences in hotels in nyc too. What would that prove?

I've lived here 20 years, have probably set up over 50 friends/family to stay in airbnb rentals over the last few years and had zero problems. Your claims that using airbnb is risky because it's "illegal" is demontable nonsense - all you are doing is scaremongering and giving bad advice.

With airbnb you can get a great apartment in desirable locations like Greenwich Village for $120 a night or thereabouts. With any of the services you've mentioned you'd be stuck in a crappy grade Z hotel in midtown (which is the last place you should stay in nyc) for far more than that.

Actually between TravelZoo, Hotwire and Priceline I've never paid more than $150 a night for 4 star hotels in the Grand Central /Lexington Avenue area be that in January, May, September or November. That's traveling smart, great location at a great price. Hasn't failed me yet, though I always have a cancellable plan B

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

I would highly recommend AirBnB - have used it twice both times in NY and its great. Staying in midtown I know is appealing for the first timer to NY but I wouldn't be gone on staying around Times Square....in fact I would avoid the place when going next time. NY has great public transport so don't be afraid to stay a few stops away from the major tourist traps.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

You're not going to get midtown Manhattan for less than that. check out Long Island City in Queens. its only 10 minutes on the subway to Manhattan but prices are much cheaper.

I got a hotel in the middle of Manhattan for 4 nights, 2 of us, €430 all in. Only slight downfall is a shared bathroom, but we won't be in there enough to worry about that. Also has great reviews on Tripadvisor, Hotel 31.

Actually between TravelZoo, Hotwire and Priceline I've never paid more than $150 a night for 4 star hotels in the Grand Central /Lexington Avenue area be that in January, May, September or November. That's traveling smart, great location at a great price. Hasn't failed me yet, though I always have a cancellable plan B

Grand Central/Lexington Ave is a lousy area to stay in. No nice restaurants unless you are paying $$$ for food that is worth $, no nice cafes and no bars where local New Yorkers actually hang out. It's a land of office workers and commuters.

Grand Central/Lexington Ave is a lousy area to stay in. No nice restaurants unless you are paying $$$ for food that is worth $, no nice cafes and no bars where local New Yorkers actually hang out. It's a land of office workers and commuters.

Each to their own but it's walking distance (without being in a total tourist trap area) to Times Square and theatre land (shows are a big part of any NY trip for me) plus with Grand Central Station on the doorstep, the city and beyond opens wide up.

I've become a big fan of the city walks cards...each circuit takes about an hour and starts and ends at a subway station. You can connect several or just do one at a time, it's a great way to see the city, both Manhattan and beyond.

I'm happy to walk, get the subway or jump in a cab to get to where I want to go for food, drink etc. But Midtown East is a good place to base a short NY trip IMO. You might not agree, but you live there. As a tourist who's been there many many times, I find it's the best option for me, and can certainly be cost effective if you travel smart, while still not skimping on comfort :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Each to their own but it's walking distance (without being in a total tourist trap area) to Times Square and theatre land (shows are a big part of any NY trip for me) plus with Grand Central Station on the doorstep, the city and beyond opens wide up.

I've become a big fan of the city walks cards...each circuit takes about an hour and starts and ends at a subway station. You can connect several or just do one at a time, it's a great way to see the city, both Manhattan and beyond.

I'm happy to walk, get the subway or jump in a cab to get to where I want to go for food, drink etc. But Midtown East is a good place to base a short NY trip IMO. You might not agree, but you live there. As a tourist who's been there many many times, I find it's the best option for me, and can certainly be cost effective if you travel smart, while still not skimping on comfort :)

athtrasna,

The issue for me is that you're in a restaurant/bar wasteland. I'd rather stay somewhere that will have options I can easily walk to the hotel from at night.

dave2pvd wrote: »
    athtrasna,

The issue for me is that you're in a restaurant/bar wasteland. I'd rather stay somewhere that will have options I can easily walk to the hotel from at night.

Some of my favourite restaurants and bars are around Hells Kitchen which is a short taxi or a decent walk...I've done both! Taxis are cheap IMO so I'd rather base myself in a good location for day activities/transport, have a good breakfast, then grab a light mid afternoon snack out and about and head out for dinner and the night after a change at the hotel. Then again that's just me!

• Advertisement

Some of my favourite restaurants and bars are around Hells Kitchen which is a short taxi or a decent walk...I've done both! Taxis are cheap IMO so I'd rather base myself in a good location for day activities/transport, have a good breakfast, then grab a light mid afternoon snack out and about and head out for dinner and the night after a change at the hotel. Then again that's just me!

Fair enough, but in all honesty that neighborhood is just not a very attractive to spend time in. It's an ugly streetscape and is very workaday. Staying there is kind of like staying in the IFSC in Dublin, and you'll waste a lot of time/cash going back and forth to places for meals etc.

There's a reason people in nyc pay a ton of rent to live in neighborhoods like Greenwich Village, SoHo, Tribeca, etc. - they're visually nice and have a ton of leisure amenities. Staying in a hotel in such neighborhoods is usually in the $400+ range per night whereas airbnb give you a chance to enjoy them for a fraction of that.

Advertisement