Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Accommodation

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

lorenzo87 wrote: »
    Hotel 31, in Manhattan. Shared bathroom but great reviews and very cheap.. Am staying there in November myself, €430 for four nights, and thats for the two of us.

:eek::eek::eek: absolute deal breaker! this isn't the 1950s.
    The Pennsylvania in Midtown is usually good value? The hotel is enormous and a little old fashioned but the location is superb.

I've stayed here a couple of times and found it fine if all you want is a cheap base in midtown. It is pretty old fashioned though and the quality of the rooms can very a lot in my experience, although they may have addressed that by now.

Failing that I would go AirBNB all the way, Once the host had a good rating I wouldn't be too concerned about the cops banging the door down or the booking falling through.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

:eek::eek::eek: absolute deal breaker! this isn't the 1950s.

I've stayed here a couple of times and found it fine if all you want is a cheap base in midtown. It is pretty old fashioned though and the quality of the rooms can very a lot in my experience, although they may have addressed that by now.

Failing that I would go AirBNB all the way, Once the host had a good rating I wouldn't be too concerned about the cops banging the door down or the booking falling through.

As I said already, it isn't for everyone. But if someone wants to pay an extra $1,200 just for a bathroom, off with ye. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

lorenzo87 wrote: »
    As I said already, it isn't for everyone. But if someone wants to pay an extra $1,200 just for a bathroom, off with ye. ;)

Happily, although I bet I could get a better deal than that.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

If you've ever stayed in a hostel you probably would have shared a bathroom. I stayed in the Jane a few years ago and the shared bathrooms were absolutely immaculate.

The Americana Inn is in a great location and also has very clean bathrooms. Honestly if you're in Manhattan you wont be spending a lot of time in your hotel.

Last saturday I stayed in the Manhattan at Times Square. In fairness it was a last minute deal but $136 was a very good price for the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

The subway was great. The place we stayed at was served by the Q and N lines. You'd be in midtown in 15-20 minutes. We got week long subway passes for 29 dollars (I think you can use it on buses too). The pass is probably one of the most value for money things I've ever bought. We were subwaying all over the place. You'd save a bomb staying out in Astoria. It's a nice area and with loads of nice restaurants and bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Used to live in Astoria and its a great diverse neighbourhood. Its proximity to the city is another attraction.

Dont discount Manhattan for some good hotel deals, Airbnb and nyhabitat.com

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Falcon.ie

The subway was great. The place we stayed at was served by the Q and N lines. You'd be in midtown in 15-20 minutes. We got week long subway passes for 29 dollars (I think you can use it on buses too). The pass is probably one of the most value for money things I've ever bought. We were subwaying all over the place. You'd save a bomb staying out in Astoria. It's a nice area and with loads of nice restaurants and bars.

I'm an Astoria resident for the last 4 years off of the Ditmars Stop on the N/Q. We have a great selection of Restaurants between 30th Avenue in Astoria and Ditmars. I work in Midtown off the Times Square Stop and it takes me (Once on the Train) 15mins to my offices on 43rd and 8th. It's super safe, I don't have a problem walking home after a few beers in the local. I'd definitely suggest the Boroughs and just commute in. Or even the "6th Borough" of Hoboken, which is a great neighbourhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

Advertisement