Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling games on adverts

Options
  • 22-02-2015 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm wondering why more people on here don't sell their used games on adverts. I see a lot of people saying they trade into gamestop or cex, when they could make quite a bit more money selling on adverts.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm wondering why more people on here don't sell their used games on adverts. I see a lot of people saying they trade into gamestop or cex, when they could make quite a bit more money selling on adverts.

Two words
    Lowballing B@st@rds!

You could always use the Arcade and Retro marketplace, assuming the items for sale qualify, it's a scene centred crowd and relatively free of the kind of numpties that Adverts is notorious for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Hey guys,

They probably don't want the hassle.
    I sell most of my games on Adverts but you wouldn't believe the amount of idiots offering stupid stuff for swap.

*Puts up PS4 game for €45*

1st Comment: "Swap for my limited edition thingy"
    2nd Comment: "€25 offered"
    2rd Comment: "€30 offered if you'll meet me the other side of the country"

And so on..
    Yes you'll get less in GS/Xtra vision but i suppose you don't have to put up with some of the people the use Adverts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

way too many muppets/timewasters on adverts.Id rather take the hit in the pocket than having to deal with that sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    *Puts up PS4 game for €45*
    Shall pay asking, if you cover the shipping costs to Ukraine... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Hey guys,

Put a game up for sale there and you will answer your own question. It was once a haven but is now a quagmire of illiterates who can't differentiate between 'no swaps' and the asking price or guys with nothing better to do than ad spoil and post about how it can be got cheaper elsewhere :rolleyes:

I did quite well there for a time, then they introduced those silly charges and how they go about collecting them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

calex71 wrote: »
    Put a game up for sale there and you will answer your own question. It was once a haven but is now a quagmire of illiterates who can't differentiate between 'no swaps' and the asking price or guys with nothing better to do than ad spoil and post about how it can be got cheaper elsewhere :rolleyes:

I did quite well there for a time, then they introduced those silly charges and how they go about collecting them

I've been doing well on it and withdrawing adds instead of listing as sold to avoid paying the charges. I have to say that so far most of the lads I've dealt with on there were no hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

calex71 wrote: »
    then they introduced those silly charges
    Because of these silly charges, no-one is marking their stuff as being sold, which can be highly annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

the_syco wrote: »
    Because of these silly charges, no-one is marking their stuff as being sold, which can be highly annoying!

I coped that recently while browzing but never put it together with the fee for selling items.

Makes sense for the seller really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Doge

I coped that recently while browzing but never put it together with the fee for selling items.

Makes more sense to mark it as withdrawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

With the likes of CEX you hand it to them and they give you cash or credit. There's no arranging a time or place and no risk of them not turning up. They will tell you how much they'll give you and that's it.

I handed in 2 computer parts to them as I didn't want the hastle of someone claiming they didn't work or some other crap. It was worth the 20ish I could have got extra by dealing with people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I've been doing well on it and withdrawing adds instead of listing as sold to avoid paying the charges.

Doge wrote: »
    Makes more sense to mark it as withdrawn.

Gamers not wanting to pay for a service? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Cormac... wrote: »
    Gamers not wanting to pay for a service? :eek:

You know the amount of non gaming items sold on Adverts? A ton. It's not a gamer related problem. It's a people related problem.

People don't wont to suddenly pay for something that was free yesterday....and that's the issue with adverts. It started as a free service. If it had always cost money to sell, they wouldn't have this problem. See Irish water as a real world example of this.

If boards suddenly started charging, would you be happy Cormac? There would be backlash. The merits or necessity don't enter into peoples minds. The only thing they think is "This was free yesterday, why should I pay for it today?" It's a natural reaction. Stupid, but natural.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Kirby wrote: »
    You know the amount of non gaming items sold on Adverts? A ton. It's not a gamer related problem. It's a people related problem.

People don't wont to suddenly pay for something that was free yesterday....and that's the issue with adverts. It started as a free service. If it had always cost money to sell, they wouldn't have this problem. See Irish water as a real world example of this.

If boards suddenly started charging, would you be happy Cormac? There would be backlash. The merits or necessity don't enter into peoples minds. The only thing they think is "This was free yesterday, why should I pay for it today?" It's a natural reaction. Stupid, but natural.

All good points, but if you sell any game for <€30, it's free and even up to €50 it's only €1 (i'd be surprised if people bought used games for more than that tbh).

I guess for maybe collectors editions or limited editions that would be different.
    That being said, selling games on Adverts is a pain alright, but as a big adverts user I got the same kick in the nads when the charges were introduced :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Like others I just got a pain in the arse with all the messing about, rejecting joke bids and trying to arrange meetings with people. For the most part you're not going to get much more than CEX will give you anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Two words
    Lowballing B@st@rds!

You could always use the Arcade and Retro marketplace, assuming the items for sale qualify, it's a scene centred crowd and relatively free of the kind of numpties that Adverts is notorious for.

Fancy trading your post for one of mine?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Trade for 2 mod pm's and a thanks? :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Part of the odd issue with Adverts is that, while free, there was more apparent oversight concerning things like scalpers, though all was sold at ones own risk, buyer beware and all that.
    Now it's paid there seems to little action taken against opportunistic sellers, see the PS4 and Frozen issues over recent years but lots of action taken against ticket resellers, seemingly because they sell site advertising to ticketmaster and the like.
    People who are paying per transaction on Adverts don't seem to get a lot of bang for their buck, certainly little help with chancers and blatant instances of theft, which just makes one even more jaded with the whole thing.
    I have used it to buy from but only occasionally use it to sell on.
    The Marketplace on my own forum is effective and well policed by its own mod but is only working well as locals use the place almost exclusively and there is little to gain from screwing each other over. I'm sure, in time, we'll have the same brand of scum turning up there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

There's so many timewasters.

Even the sellers are timewasters, which I can't understand.

I've made offers on a game, only for the sellers to refuse to give you collection/payment details or just ignore your messages after accepting :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You also have absolutely no security on Adverts. I was sold a 3DO on adverts, thought I was getting a bargain. Turns out the 3DO was faulty, the video board was corroded and I was getting no picture. I contacted Adverts since the seller was being a complete dick about it, said it powered on (which it did) but probably didn't test the video. Customer services told me to contact the police... What an absolute useless shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Kirby wrote: »
    Trade for 2 mod pm's and a thanks? :p

I have an assortment of red and yellow cards up for grabs

• Advertisement
Advertisement