Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robotic lawn mowers?

Options
  • 22-02-2015 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

I have roughly half an acre to mow but the ground is not billiard table smooth! I also have a wastewater treatment plant and soak to negotiate.

I'd like a lawn that is short and neat but not a putting green :) The grass in the lawn seems to be quite mixed, with scutch grass very prevalent.

Has anyone here got a robotic lawn mower? Does my ground sound suitable? How do you find your mower? How do they cope with bumpy ground? Are they reliable? Do they cover your entire lawn? Do they mulch well?

All advice appreciated... I am considering a ride on but would like people's experiences of robotic mowers, if any :) Thanks!

Comments

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057213541

The guy who did this thread is the man to talk to

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I have roughly half an acre to mow but the ground is not billiard table smooth! I also have a wastewater treatment plant and soak to negotiate.

I'd like a lawn that is short and neat but not a putting green :) The grass in the lawn seems to be quite mixed, with scutch grass very prevalent.

Has anyone here got a robotic lawn mower? Does my ground sound suitable? How do you find your mower? How do they cope with bumpy ground? Are they reliable? Do they cover your entire lawn? Do they mulch well?

All advice appreciated... I am considering a ride on but would like people's experiences of robotic mowers, if any :) Thanks!

I have a robot mower. Brilliant device. Very happy with it. See thread from previous post which details my experience.

My site is over an acre so I have about 0.75 acres of actual grass. It keeps on top of it no problem. I havent had any reliability issues but I have only had one season with it yet, so too early to state that it is reliable.

The initial setup is time consuming but its a once off effort and you'll save time thereafter.

Bumpy lawns dont matter but holes do. The mower is low to the ground and if the wheel goes into a hole it might struggle to get out. This happened me where I pulled up a stone in the lawn which left a hole and the mower got stuck. Wiring around treatment units, soakways, etc is no problem.

The mulching is fine. The mower is only ever taking a small bit off the top so you never see any actual grass cuttings on the lawn and weeds dont get any chance to flourish as the mower keeps the grass low.

Advertisement