Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Physx important?

• 22-02-2015 11:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭

So it's GFX upgrade time. My choice is between the AMD 280x or the Nvidia 960. The 280x is marginally faster but uses more power but if I pick the AMD I lose physx. Both cards pretty much cost the same here in Australia as well.

I've had a look and there aren't that many games that truly use physx however I have some of the games that do use it and I like the extra effects ie I think Batman looks a bit crapper once you do away with the physx doohickeys.

So I'm a bit torn... Help me choose. Is physx important to you?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Its very noticeable in borderlands 2 say in puddles of lava or toxic liquids that break up into smaller puddles , looks very impressive but it wouldnt be a deal maker or breaker to me.
    If they cost the same id go with nvidia, i just prefer their drivers and lower consumption,physx is an added bonus.
    If either was was say +5 to +10% performance id jump on that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I remember them making a big deal of it a few years ago, but haven't heard much about it in recent years. I remember Mafia 2 looking a lot better, and i think Assassins Creed 4 had some additional PhysX features. I've owned an nVidia card in years though, so i can't really say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Well I pondered all day and went with the AMD card. I figured whilst purdy, physx isn't present in enough games to edge out the faster card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

280X is the better card,good choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Nvidia seem to be making their cards rift ready too. I'll probably be upgrading to a 900 series card if they will run the rift better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

OSI wrote: »
    What ever about PhysX, the amount of games I hear of performing poorly on AMD cards that should be more than capable of them would steer me towards the Nvidia.
    Frankly these sort of comments really annoy me, both AMD and Nvidia generally have performance issues with games that need to be sorted in driver updates. Nvidia is just as bad as AMD. I had NVidia FX5200, AMD 850Pro, Nvidia 7800GTX, GTX260,AMD 5850, AMD6970, NVidia 780Ti and from those both NVidia and AMD have had performance issues and driver issues. So singling out one being better than the other is nonsensical. The only current downside to AMD is their driver updates are less frequent than they were.
    ScumLord wrote: »
    Nvidia seem to be making their cards rift ready too. I'll probably be upgrading to a 900 series card if they will run the rift better.
    Both AMD and Nvidia are implementing solutions for SLI/Crossfire for VR, Nvidia just stuck it on a slide for the 970/980 cards and nothing has happened since.( Im sure it will soon enough but adding it as a bullet point for the 970/980 cards was stupid ).

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Kiith wrote: »
    I remember them making a big deal of it a few years ago, but haven't heard much about it in recent years. I remember Mafia 2 looking a lot better, and i think Assassins Creed 4 had some additional PhysX features. I've owned an nVidia card in years though, so i can't really say.

Yeah a huge song and dance was made about it a few years ago. It evidently hasn't been as revolutionary as some in the industry were making out it would be. All the same there are quite a few games optimized for it - but I wouldn't be too sure that you would miss it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

OSI wrote: »
    What ever about PhysX, the amount of games I hear of performing poorly on AMD cards that should be more than capable of them would steer me towards the Nvidia.

As a general rule over the years I've always picked the best card for my budget so I've had both AMD and Nvidia cards and I don't recall either brand standing out as troublesome. Maybe over a decade ago AMD drivers were seen as sub par but I don't believe this to be the case anymore.

ScumLord wrote: »

I've tried the rift, great little thing but I stand by my comments I made in the dedicated thread. Ie I'd never get home after a day at work to put that on to play games so Nvidia being rift ready wouldn't have influenced me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Eh, I'm sure PhysX will make a comeback once you can't get any more better the graphics of a game... next move would be the processing of physics, naturally. So I'd imagine within the next 10 years we'll be seeing games, for example, where tiny particles like sand and snow actually accumulates and you can move around at a granular level.

Currently it's all pre-rendered, static, stuff... even in that demo of The Division that showed the snow melting away and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭eastyy

i find myself switching phsyx off as the performance hit i found to annoying i noticed on a 970 i was getting good frame rates but when something happens where the phsyx is used then the frame rate would halve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I've tried the rift, great little thing but I stand by my comments I made in the dedicated thread. Ie I'd never get home after a day at work to put that on to play games so Nvidia being rift ready wouldn't have influenced me.
    I think that will change with time. As far as I can see the HTC/Valve headset has a camera and it sounds like it will be able to tell how much room you actually have to move around, IE: It will take note of the restrictions in your room and allow you to move within those confines, it should be able to inform you of when other people enter the room as well, the thought of being obilvious to someone standing behind me is a freaky one. It will be able to give you the big PC feeling with minimum tech.

saw a oculus rift for sale in cex was soooo tempted to pick it up but then decided nahh i shall wait

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Was the idea for PhysX that you'd have a second (or third) card dedicated to it and your main card for just the graphical grunt? I vaguely remember when it was first announced they were talking about being able to use a flagship card like a 295 (at the time, maybe? Can't remember exactly) and a low powered something like a 9800 as backup just to handly PhysX work.

mentions something about using second gpu as physx on the nvidia website the less powerful card most people saying it is really not worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Shiminay wrote: »
    Was the idea for PhysX that you'd have a second (or third) card dedicated to it and your main card for just the graphical grunt? I vaguely remember when it was first announced they were talking about being able to use a flagship card like a 295 (at the time, maybe? Can't remember exactly) and a low powered something like a 9800 as backup just to handly PhysX work.

Originally it was a separate special purpose card. Didn't sell well as most games didn't go out of their way to support it because not many people had one as it seemed a pointless expense with few games supporting it. Then Nvidia bought the company and changed the focus to GPU based calculations.

I remember at the time being such a odd thing to do and was thinking what next a card for AI ?

eastyy wrote: »
    I remember at the time being such a odd thing to do and was thinking what next a card for AI ?

Yeah I remember my first reaction was "Cool! About time!" (I did physics in college, so special interest). Then it was "It costs that much!?" Then reading reviews was depressing, it didn't seem to do that much for games.

nesf wrote: »
    Yeah I remember my first reaction was "Cool! About time!" (I did physics in college, so special interest). Then it was "It costs that much!?" Then reading reviews was depressing, it didn't seem to do that much for games.

I seem to recall it either came with a game or there was one released designed to make use of it but then after it was discovered that the game with a simple command prompt could be made to run on a system without physx

eastyy wrote: »
    I seem to recall it either came with a game or there was one released designed to make use of it but then after it was discovered that the game with a simple command prompt could be made to run on a system without physx

Yeah I think I remember that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

That was probably the first release of CellFactor which was essentially a tech demo of an arena based shooter with a whole bunch of interactable objects that you could manipulate via either explosions or telekinesis-like powers. There was also a massive flag at the back of the level which could be destroyed in real time to show off the cloth physics.

While the demo could be run without a PhysX PPU at the time, the cloth wasn't loaded in this mode by default. While the object interaction wasn't too heavy on the CPU I seem to remember the cloth being enabled at a later date and it absolutely destroying the frame rate at the time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement