Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd level teaching with a PhD

Options
  • 22-02-2015 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,

So the dream job is lecturing, and I am currently doing Biotechnology. The degree includes 3 years of Advanced French for Science, 2 years of Statistics, 2 years of Chemistry, and 4 years of Biology, with a strong business track (would be well able to teach the syllabus) . I'm also doing a diploma in Irish.

I intend on getting a 1st and going on to do a MRes/Msc and PhD, and also carrying out postdoctoral research. The thing is I've always wanted to be a teacher, so if after a few years if the lecturing wasnt coming up, would it be a bit silly to then do the HDip and become a biology and french teacher?

Would (name) Diop sa Ghaeilge, Bsc, HDip Ed, MRes, PhD - Your Biology teacher be unusual? And would it increase your chances of getting a job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Is the course on the teaching council list of recognised degrees to qualify you to teach?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

We had a number of Ph. D.s on our staff. Unfortunately, if the jobs/hours aren't there they aren't there. For teaching, experience would generally trump qualifications, all other things being equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 username26!

Yes it's approved by the NTC for biology. That's a pity :/

Advertisement