Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Philosophy Course?

Options
  • 23-02-2015 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

I'm very passionate about philosophy and have read dozens of books on it already. I will be going to college in September and currently have Arts in NUIG as my first choice. I'm wondering if anyone here knows what the best college would be to do it in (Im especially interested in Eastern Religions and German Idealism). I know Trinity has the only degree solely in philosophy but 4 years doing some of those compulsory topics looks a bit painful. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

As far as I remember, Ucc have eastern modules and almost everyone does the Germans I think. :) look up the module booklet in Ucc. Very handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 newsoftheworld

Thanks for the suggestion. Sadly, Cork is pretty much out of the question as I am currently working in Connacht and if I keep the job for weekends it would just be too far of a journey to do twice every weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Hmmmm. I'm doing some philosophy in Mary I. First year was good. Kept up with political philosophy in second year. No eastern stuff though.

There is a world religions modules in theology that looked interesting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

I think there is a lot to be said for doing joint honours i.e. doing another (perhaps a teaching) subject as well as philosophy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 212 ✭✭HobbyMan

Excuse my ignorance but I always thought that philosophy and theology were the antithesis of each other.

I thought that philosopers ask the question 'does God exist', and associated questions, whereas theologists say that God does exist.

Or am I wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

TCD has a really comprehensive curriculum which includes in-depth modules on German Idealism. They also have an Eastern Phil module in first year. If you are put off doing the same stuff for four years, why not do a two-subject moderatership (TSM)?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

HobbyMan wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but I always thought that philosophy and theology were the antithesis of each other.

I thought that philosopers ask the question 'does God exist', and associated questions, whereas theologists say that God does exist.

Or am I wrong?
    Yup, you're wrong. Or, at least, I would say so. I'd see theology as a branch of philosophy, the branch which deals with questions about God, including not only "does God exist?" but even more fundamental questions such as "what do we mean by 'God'?" and "what does it mean to say that God exists?" and "does it matter whether God exists?". These are all theological questions, but also recognisably philosophical questions.

And, for the record, it's perfectly possible to be a theologian and an atheist. Theology doesn't require that you come to any pre-ordained answer to theological questions, including "does God exist?". It just requires that you find theological questions meaningful, and of sufficient interest to merit exploration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I'm very passionate about philosophy and have read dozens of books on it already. I will be going to college in September and currently have Arts in NUIG as my first choice. I'm wondering if anyone here knows what the best college would be to do it in (Im especially interested in Eastern Religions and German Idealism). I know Trinity has the only degree solely in philosophy but 4 years doing some of those compulsory topics looks a bit painful. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Possibly a little late for you but in case it's not:

UCD arts allows you to take philosophy as a single subject after year 1. It will be quite strong on German idealism and related areas but Eastern philosophy may not even be mentioned.

If you haven't already you should take a look at the web pages of the universities that you'd consider attending and see what they offer. This is UCD's page and I'm sure that the other universities will have similar pages. Go to open days and any fairs that you can and talk to the people at the stands.

As to quality I graduated from UCD 15 years ago but I still recognise the majority of the staff. As with most institutions there's a smattering of really good teachers, the bulk are middle of the road and there's one or two who IMO probably shouldn't be in their positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭LadyAthame

NUI Galway ..Trinity ..UCD :-)

Where I went no longer offers the degree soley in Philosophy. (Miltown Institute it's a part of NUI). But it's changed now.

Or am I wrong?

You are correct. But you can study french with maths or art etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Yup, you're wrong. Or, at least, I would say so. I'd see theology as a branch of philosophy, the branch which deals with questions about God, including not only "does God exist?" but even more fundamental questions such as "what do we mean by 'God'?" and "what does it mean to say that God exists?" and "does it matter whether God exists?". These are all theological questions, but also recognisably philosophical questions.

And, for the record, it's perfectly possible to be a theologian and an atheist. Theology doesn't require that you come to any pre-ordained answer to theological questions, including "does God exist?". It just requires that you find theological questions meaningful, and of sufficient interest to merit exploration.

Or gods. Theology is not strictly monotheistic.

It is the study of religions and faiths, it looks at the various God/gods we have created through time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

With the exception of, perhaps Wittgenstein and philosophy of mind, English analytic philosophy, the UCD department would probably be the best in Ireland and has some excellent German idealism lecturers and should have some eastern philosophy (as I had in my time there).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement