Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fairhaven Development - Castleknock

Options
  • 23-02-2015 7:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi all,

Myself and my partner are starting our house hunt and these will be our first houses to view – They are based on Chesterfield avenue in Castleknock in a development called Fairhaven.

I remember when Hooke & MacDonald/F&O’F first asked for people to register their interest, they asked for feedback about how much people would be willing to pay for 3 and 4 bed houses in this location and I think the highest option was $450k+ for a 4 bed – How times have changed!!

I’ve heard the prices are going to be $495k for a 3-bed and $595k for a 4 bed so they will most certainly be well out of our price range but since we registered interest at the early stages, we thought we would follow through and at least go to view the houses.

I was just hoping to gauge people’s opinions on the houses and see if they think they are worth it? Personally, I think they are in a great location but and look beautifully finished but alas the price tag will always be a stumbling block for us.

Sorry for not supplying a link but I am a new user so I am not allowed but if you google Fairhaven Castleknock, you will get a video on youtube showing the layout of the showhouse.

Cheers
    Muddy Fox

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Prices are mental IMHO and almost certainly in their own little bubble. I buy somewhere else then spend the €200K saving putting in the finish I wanted.

Sorry to further poor scorn on that but looking at the video the houses look very average, the three bed borders on pokey tbh. At that price I'd be expecting two reception rooms independant of a nice kitchen-diner.

Actually the four bed, yeah could get behind that - for around the €400K mark though.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mr.McLovin

pricey alright

what's your budget?

one thing I wonder about this new estate, how overlooked is by the apartments near by?

great being so close to the park though

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Muddy Fox

The prices taken in isolation do seem a little crazy for what you are getting but in another way it seems to nearly be the going rate at this stage. In a way, I'm kind of glad I can't afford it because I really wouldn't know if I was making a big mistake or not.

It's just so hard to know if now is a good time to buy. I know everyone says it shouldn't matter if you are going to live in it for the next decade or two but no one would like to see the next phase of the development up at a much cheaper price than what they paid.

It will be very interesting to see if they have any trouble shifting them. Thanks for the input Mark, I think you confirmed what I was thinking myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Muddy Fox

Mr.McLovin wrote: »
    pricey alright

what's your budget?

one thing I wonder about this new estate, how overlooked is by the apartments near by?

great being so close to the park though

Yeah, being so close to the park is a massive draw for me I have to say and I would definitely be willing to pay a premium for that but just can't justify what they're asking and I wouldn't have the kahoona's to risk putting myself in too much debt that I couldn't enjoy the present day.

Our budget is about $440 up to a max of about $470 at a push

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

The other side of it is; if given someone losing their job + a 3 - 5% increase in interest rates can you afford the repayments. If you can and it's the forever house, there is something to be said for going with what you like.

If the 4 beds there are touching 600K there is much better value out there IMHO.

• Advertisement

Muddy Fox wrote: »
    Yeah, being so close to the park is a massive draw for me I have to say and I would definitely be willing to pay a premium for that but just can't justify what they're asking and I wouldn't have the kahoona's to risk putting myself in too much debt that I couldn't enjoy the present day.

Our budget is about $440 up to a max of about $470 at a push

its a lot of money they are looking for, you could easily get a 3 bed in an estate like lets say park drive and not kill yourself paying for it, also you'd be closer to the village than this new estate

as for predicting the market, who knows really, I reckon it will be next year before we find out how things really stand when the new lending rules are in full swing

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Are these the Phoenix Park Racecourse houses i.e. They have named them Fairhaven abd describing them as besides Chesterfield?

Yes pricey imo.

but people will pay it I'd wager. Particularly for the ahem "castleknock" address.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Gemma1982

In fairness these houses look far superior from a family home point of view to park drive houses which are very pokey and largely rented out. Would also prefer the location myself being that bit nearer town and the park, avoiding the village traffic.

Gemma1982 wrote: »
    In fairness these houses look far superior from a family home point of view to park drive houses which are very pokey and largely rented out. Would also prefer the location myself being that bit nearer town and the park, avoiding the village traffic.

150k nicer?

don't get me wrong if he has the money sure go for the new estate but if its affordability he is looking for in Castleknock its about the best he'll do

Mr.McLovin wrote: »
    150k nicer?

don't get me wrong if he has the money sure go for the new estate but if its affordability he is looking for in Castleknock its about the best he'll do

I grew up not far from Castleknock and have to say that the area has always been way overpriced. Not sure what it has apart from the park (and parts of Navan Road are as easily accessible to that amenity)

I personally always think of estates like Georgian Village when I think of Castleknock, ie the 'real' Castleknock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Got an email about these today. Available for taking deposits from today. First phase of 28 houses is ready. 3 beds from 490,000. 4 beds from 600,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

These were houses I was massively interested in. However, upon viewing the video, I really do not think they are worth the money.

so who's sleeping out for one of these? :P

cruais wrote: »
    These were houses I was massively interested in. However, upon viewing the video, I really do not think they are worth the money.

I'd slightly agree, I was expecting more tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

My guess is theyre rushing to take deposits and money before people's approval runs out. They know they won't get those kind of prices in 6 months time when people apply under the new central bank rules

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

i heard that all the 3 beds are gone, they were open for viewing today. We had already decided that 490k was too expensive for a 3 bed, and definitely not in the market for a 4 bed. You'd get a house around the Navan Rd. for way less than that and you'd still be within walking distance of the Phoenix Park and other amenities.
    Pity, because we had wanted one of these houses for a long time. We realise that we will get better value and affordability elsewhere. There is no point in buying something that we just can't afford.
    We'll look at the houses tomorrow anyway.

i heard that all the 3 beds are gone, they were open for viewing today. We had already decided that 490k was too expensive for a 3 bed, and definitely not in the market for a 4 bed. You'd get a house around the Navan Rd. for way less than that and you'd still be within walking distance of the Phoenix Park and other amenities.
    Pity, because we had wanted one of these houses for a long time. We realise that we will get better value and affordability elsewhere. There is no point in buying something that we just can't afford.

heard the 4 beds are gone too although they were limited

still amazed at the speed these shifted at with such a heft price tag, guess the good times are back!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭by the seaside

Give the fittings a good shake on the way round and report back please.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 niamhey

I was at the showhouse viewings yesterday. There were crowds there but I'd say a high proportion of sight see-ers. I had my heart set on buying there, I have lived in the racecourse before and the location is worth a premium. However, they are put of my budget now and, after seeing them, I'm no longer disappointed - they are extremely pokey, even the four-beds, regarding living space. Also, bedrooms are small e.g. no room for a cot in any of the master bedrooms (in family-targetted homes?), no room for storage furniture. Also, the finish is nice but not out of the ordinary. Very poor value for money, I reckon you would be in negative equity before you even move in!

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Reporting back also....
    The 3 bed is 1100 sq ft. 4 bed is 1300 sq ft. The usual car parking problem of new houses these days - 2 car spaces at the front of the house and you'd have to dish the pavement. I didn't notice gold plated fittings in the 4 bed house though there was a chandelier. I'm not so swayed by the "Castleknock" address. I think the "real" Castleknock is up by the village - Georgian Village, Deerpark etc. Fairhaven is a bit of a walk away from Castleknock village. The bus stop for the no. 37 is right opposite the show houses though the 37 is about every 30 mins or so. You could probably walk to Ashtown Railway station, not sure how long it would take to get to the new Phoenix railway station.
    There were actually 4 three beds left when we were viewing, though two of them sold.So there are two 3 beds left, at 495k and 505k. They will be ready towards December 2015. The next batch of houses seem to be mainly 3 beds and will be released during mid 2016. The 4 beds have been snapped up I think!
    Overall, I still think these are overpriced, you"ll get better value nearby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭MayBea

To look at the actual floor plans the application number is FW13A/0052 on fingalcoco website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Special k23

Myself and my partner viewed the 3 and 4 bedroom houses in Fairhaven on Tuesday. It was very busy when we got there and were told all the 4 beds were taken and most of the 3 beds also. The houses were beautifully finished and the location so close to the Phoenix park i can see how they were snapped up so quickly. We have been house hunting for over 2 years now and would love to buy here. The price is high, but compared to some houses we've seen, not overly so. We have seen smaller 3 beds with D or even E ratings on them in different areas for less money i'll admit but not by much. We were told that these houses had the A rating, and i loved the solar panel/energy thing on the roof. Also a water harvestor in the garden. Sign of the times :) The bedrooms are a good size , even the box room which is usually small from what i've seen seems bigger. The living room is small on its own but they give you the double door option opening out into the kitchen/dining area which you could see in one showhouse and it looked far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭FredFunk

If you look at these houses in the cold light of day are they anything special?
    We were sold dummies during the boom, overpriced average houses which all look the same!
    Is there any decent architects in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Myself and my partner viewed the 3 and 4 bedroom houses in Fairhaven on Tuesday. It was very busy when we got there and were told all the 4 beds were taken and most of the 3 beds also. The houses were beautifully finished and the location so close to the Phoenix park i can see how they were snapped up so quickly. We have been house hunting for over 2 years now and would love to buy here. The price is high, but compared to some houses we've seen, not overly so. We have seen smaller 3 beds with D or even E ratings on them in different areas for less money i'll admit but not by much. We were told that these houses had the A rating, and i loved the solar panel/energy thing on the roof. Also a water harvestor in the garden. Sign of the times :) The bedrooms are a good size , even the box room which is usually small from what i've seen seems bigger. The living room is small on its own but they give you the double door option opening out into the kitchen/dining area which you could see in one showhouse and it looked far better.

Its interesting how this user went to the trouble of registering just to post the above and no other posts since. They are quite detailed on the spec of the houses, should probably get a job in real estate, if they don't already work in that area ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Hello Mr Builder who owns Fairhaven / estate agent selling Fairhaven. Glad you like your houses :)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭cjlawlor

The houses look impressive but are very expensive for 2015... Also the builder's compound and hoarding between the Racecourse development and Fairhaven looks like a dump and definitely creates the wrong impression considering the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Beta Canis Majoris

"Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful"

That is crazy money for those houses in my opinion.
    Here are a couple of 4 bedroom detached houses in more settled parts of Castleknock , both cheaper than the 4-bed semi-d are going for in Fairhaven:
    http://www.daft.ie/sales/19-castleknock-crescent-castleknock-dublin/1050198/
    http://www.daft.ie/sales/vallambrosa-2a-oaktree-drive-castleknock-dublin/1036045/

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Want2know

Hi, I know this is an old thread to be dragging up. But im wondering what people's opinion are on these houses now and for anyone who have moved in what they think of living in Fairhaven?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Want2know wrote: »
    Hi, I know this is an old thread to be dragging up. But im wondering what people's opinion are on these houses now and for anyone who have moved in what they think of living in Fairhaven?

According to MyHome the four beds just went up another 5k to €625,000.
    I really can't see the value to be honest, especially compared to something like Hazelbrook Square. Anyway, best to let the owners speak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

They are ridiculous money, 625K for a 4 bed house is mental.

Very good location and they come with the Castleknock address although they are closer to Ashtown.

Advertisement