Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help/advice please

• 23-02-2015 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Will keep this as short as I can :D
    Okay so in a fue months I will be signing on as I will be 18, but I really have no clue what benefits I apply for?!.. Currently I am living with my parents (we aren't rich or anything live in small bungalow in ballinasloe small little town!) my da works 5 days a week as a handy man and my ma is jobshering as a cleaner in hse building 2-3 days neither off them have claimed benefits so I can't get help trough them.. So if someone could help me there it would be great? Thanks:)

Also- I plan to move to Waterford after a fue months and obviously my circumstances would of changed(living alone) would I get different/extra welfare? And how would I go about transferring the dole from ballinasloe to Waterford? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Will keep this as short as I can :D
    Okay so in a fue months I will be signing on as I will be 18, but I really have no clue what benefits I apply for?!..

How about you spend this next few months looking for a job. Planning to sign on is no way to start your adult life

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ballinasloex

athtrasna wrote: »
    How about you spend this next few months looking for a job. Planning to sign on is no way to start your adult life

I really couldn't find a job even if I tried, I left school very young.. Befor my jc, so I really need help with this?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

You have to try first ffs. You sound like a complete loser and an example of what is wrong with this country.

You should be posting asking what the best way to find a job without qualifications would be. You've got internet and you've got a device to access internet from so you've for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Status Offline

I really couldn't find a job even if I tried, I left school very young.. Befor my jc, so I really need help with this?!

Go back to school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Poor spelling but good syntax and not bad parsing, I smell a rat?

• Advertisement

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Poor spelling but good syntax and not bad parsing, I smell a rat?

How is it a rat? I came here looking for help? If ye's dident want to answer fair enoug, no point telling me go back school it's not for everyone?... I used the webtext and not everyone who dropped out a school dosent have decent parsing?:)

Go back to school.

That's not an option to be honest I know sounds very bad to people that are out working but it's been so long since I was there and school isent for everyone...
    Maybe I asked the question wrong? Could someone explain what benefits I would get if I was doin a course in fas? Etc?

How is it a rat? I came here looking for help? If ye's dident want to answer fair enoug, no point telling me go back school it's not for everyone?... I used the webtext and not everyone who dropped out a school dosent have decent parsing?:)

There are still apprenticeships and low skilled jobs out there. These will help secure a future for you. Also why the move to Waterford?

athtrasna wrote: »
    There are still apprenticeships and low skilled jobs out there. These will help secure a future for you. Also why the move to Waterford?

There is noting in the town I live in and I don't have the money to go to the next twons to be looking for a job, so I wanted to save some money when I get the dole and move to Waterford and then I settle there i would try get a course or something?.... Because I need a new start and it's the only hope I have I'm only 'child ' and my parents are 'older' I need the life experience I suppose it's for to be more independent? I have a small bit family in Waterford and use always go there when was younger I like the place?....

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

i don't think you're entitled to rent allowance since you've no rental history, and you'll be on a reduced rate until you're 24 so you'll have difficulty paying the rent on it.I think your best bet is to look for work or apprenticeship in Waterford and only move once you've secured that.
    while you are living with your parents any benefit you do get will be means tested against their earnings And you will still have to prove that you are actively seeking work/education. What have you been doing the past three/for years if you weren't in school ?

• Advertisement

Rachiee wrote: »
    i don't think you're entitled to rent allowance since you've no rental history, and you'll be on a reduced rate until you're 24 so you'll have difficulty paying the rent on it.I think your best bet is to look for work or apprenticeship in Waterford and only move once you've secured that.
    while you are living with your parents any benefit you do get will be means tested against their earnings And you will still have to prove that you are actively seeking work/education. What have you been doing the past three/for years if you weren't in school ?

Okay thank you :) I don't understand though how I would pay the rent and bills if I was doing a fas course or something? Or do I save up and rent and then after a fue months I will be able get rent allowance? ... To be honest not much, I have never worked apart from volunteer about two year ago as I had a youth worker... That's the main reason I want get out this town cause I'm just going to go down a bad road and I wanted to move out while I was young and when my parents are still alive so I will gain independence for last about 3 years all I have been doing is gym, drink and just typical stuf I want change and have stop relying on my parents.. If that makes Since

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

I can't even begin to put a response together that doesn't show my utter contempt for you post.
    By the sounds of it you intend to start a long life being a dole scrounger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I can't even begin to put a response together that doesn't show my utter contempt for you post.
    By the sounds of it you intend to start a long life being a dole scrounger

It's a little bit more nuanced than that - read on.

All the same though, the OP should understand that what they need to do is get into a job and start learning something. Not being good at school is nothing to be ashamed of, but it's not an excuse for sitting on your ar$e sponging off the rest of us either.

Plenty of guys I know of who were useless at school, as soon as they started working, they found their niche and worked their way up. You can push a brush, can't you? Then start there and just keep on making yourself useful. It's hard work but it's not necessarily complicated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Moved from Waterford forum

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Sorry OP but you've got to look at this another way. Ballinasloe is not that small a town, of course there are opportunities. Go talk to Intreo (formerly fás) and see what support you can get with training. Or you can always ask your Dad to train you up, as another poster said, it's easy to pick up a brush.

As for moving to Waterford, you're 17. You've plenty of time and no money. The taxpayer won't subsidise a move for Independence nor should we. You have no rental history so don't qualify for rent allowance and even if you did it would be very difficult to find a place that takes it.

As for drinking, again you're 17. It's illegal. And not helping you in any way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

What about Ballinasloe community training centre, its local to you, aimed at early school leavers, is starting soon, and you get an allowance for attending.
    Good suggestion to you go along to work with your dad to learn some skills and keep busy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

OP already has a thread asking the same question in this forum - closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement