Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time To US

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Oh, so they were the shouting types? Well maybe that was their problem right there.

I never said "delays don't happen" or any of the other straw man nonsense you're claiming. What I said was if you're in the immigration area with a reasonable amount of time to spare and things are slow the staff will expedite you. You think otherwise, fine.

I don't know if they were "shouty types" but I doubt it because the Aer Lingus staff did a lot to help them. I believe that they missed their flight because of the delays at immigration, something you asserted would never happen. I do know that the other 40 people who delayed our flight weren't too meek to say something to an official because the pilot was aware of the problem. Clearly being expedited wasn't possible.

It's a very inconsiderate approach for a person to decide that arriving at the airport on time is something only newbies need to worry about. It is also very self-entitled for a traveller to assume that they will be allowed skip the queue or "expedited" simply because they didn't turn up when they were supposed to.

You think otherwise, fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

I don't know if they were "shouty types" but I doubt it because the Aer Lingus staff did a lot to help them. I believe that they missed their flight because of the delays at immigration, something you asserted would never happen. I do know that the other 40 people who delayed our flight weren't too meek to say something to an official because the pilot was aware of the problem. Clearly being expedited wasn't possible.

It's a very inconsiderate approach for a person to decide that arriving at the airport on time is something only newbies need to worry about. It is also very self-entitled for a travveler to assume that they will be allowed skip the queue or "expedited" simply because they didn't turn up when they were supposed to.

You think otherwise, fine.

Your posts are bordering on trolling at this point. Where did I say delays at immigration never happen? And why did you say that anyone within shouting distance would have known about their problems if they weren't the shouting types?

Oh, and here's some news for you, showing up three hours before a flight to the USA is not a requirement, it's a suggestion. The airlines cutoff point is two hours 75 minutes before departure time. I don't ever hold up planes because I manage to get from check-in to the gate without feeling the need to stop for duty free, coffee etc. as you seem to do according to your posts above. I am literally never the last on board the plane and have never held one up. You are both ill-informed about these things and incredibly condescending.

You clearly can't seem to stand the fact that someone has had completely different experiences to yours and wishes to advise the OP thusly. Good grief.

Your posts are bordering on trolling at this point. Where did I say delays at immigration never happen? And why did you say that anyone within shouting distance would have known about their problems if they weren't the shouting types?

Oh, and here's some news for you, showing up three hours before a flight to the USA is not a requirement, it's a suggestion. The airlines cutoff point is two hours before departure time. I don't ever hold up planes because I manage to get from check-in to the gate without feeling the need to stop for duty free, coffee etc. as you seem to do according to your posts above. I am literally never the last on board the plane and have never held one up. You are both ill-informed about these things and incredibly condescending.

You clearly can't seem to stand the fact that someone has had completely different experiences to yours and wishes to advise the OP thusly. Good grief.

I'm not trolling, ill-informed or condescending. I'm giving sensible advice to the OP. Take a look at your boarding card next time you arrive at the airport two hours before your flight, you'll notice that the closing time for your gate is in 15 minutes time. That is the time you are required to be at immigration not arriving at the first security check. I'm not going to say that they will refuse you boarding at that time but technically they could and arriving late can cause delays, more to the point, most travelers find it stressful. It's bad advice and inconsiderate to tell others that they need only two hours.

The post I was referring to in my most recent post was this one (emphasis in original)...
    From your own statements once you're through security flights do not take off until people clear immigration. In other words - the plane will not leave unless you literally just go AWOL so his travel plans are not going to be severely disrupted. In order for a plane to take off without you once you are checked in they have to take your bags off the flight and it's a massive hassle for them...

As discussed, I've seen it happen, you said it couldn't.

And then there was this one (emphasis added)
    Airlines ask you to be at an airport three hours or more before flights these days in order to cover their asses and make up for the fact that some people are incapable of getting themselves from checkin to the departure gate without wandering around in duty free for half an hour, stopping for drinks at the bar, etc. If you're not going to do this nonsense and are capable of alerting an official that your flight is boarding in the event of there being an unusually long line at security etc. then you simply will not have a problem. ...

Its not right to say someone won't have a problem, they could and if they do, those of us who are on time are affected also.

So you're right, having my flight delayed (and having to sprint through JFK or O'Hare to make a connection as a result) does bother me, especially when it is because of people who think they know better and believe they need less time than they do to to get to their flight on time. Maybe that isn't you, I don't know, but it is that attitude that causes it.

Lets leave it there, you're obviously satisfied you don't cause a problem. I think that approach can cause delays and that it's bad advice to tell people they won't face difficulties if they choose to leave themselves less time than is stated by the airlines when it's patently the case that they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

**** Mod Note: Engough with the backseat modding, personal attacks and bickering. Get back to discussing the topic of the Op civilly or I will start handing out infractions. ****

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

Take a look at your boarding card next time you arrive at the airport two hours before your flight, you'll notice that the closing time for your gate is in 15 minutes time.

Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Been coming over here since 94 and have always tried to get to the airport 2 and a half hours beforehand. In recent years the queues have increased and along with the additional US security before immigration time is of the essence.

Have missed a far few flights leaving JFK though:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Yeah, United say that you have to have cleared pre clearance by 7:30am for a 9am departure (notice in T2), if not, your baggage won't be loaded onto the plane. I don't know how that'd work turning up at 7:45. Maybe some people can blag, I definitely can't :D.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 369 ✭✭walkingshadow

Im going to New York for the first time in a few weeks for a week holiday. Must I fill out that ESTA screening form? It says its for the visa waiver programme- do I as a normal traveller fall into that?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

Im going to New York for the first time in a few weeks for a week holiday. Must I fill out that ESTA screening form? It says its for the visa waiver programme- do I as a normal traveller fall into that?

All travellers into the US must have completed an ESTA application. they won't even let you on the plane without one. It's $14 & make sure you use the official site to do it.

All travellers into the US must have completed an ESTA application. they won't even let you on the plane without one. It's $14 & make sure you use the official site to do it.

thanks!

• Advertisement

Can you download and print off the US Customs Declaration Form at home, fill it out and bring to the airport, or must it be done in the airport? Also on your way back from the States, do you need another one of them for exiting the country?

^^^

No and no - it must be done online.

might be an idea to have a look at their website :

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/application.html?execution=e1s1

This is incorrect.

That is the Visa Waiver form, the Customs Declaration form is different, it is short form, in which the traveler makes a declaration about whatever goods they are bringing to the US and their value.

I don't know if it has to be completed at the airport but I would think it needs to be on an original form, not a print out. It takes all of 90 seconds to complete so its not a big deal. You do not need to make a customs declaration when leaving the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

This is incorrect.

That is the Visa Waiver form, the Customs Declaration form is different, it is short form, in which the traveler makes a declaration about whatever goods they are bringing to the US and their value.

I don't know if it has to be completed at the airport but I would think it needs to be on an original form, not a print out.

It needs to be completed before you enter the US (even by americans), so in Dublin before you get to the border/immigration control point there are 100's of the forms/pens out. You fill out one per family (not per person) and the border agent takes it. It's all part of the process of entering the US from Ireland.

If you are flying into the US and completing border formalities when you arrive, you get handed the form on board the plane by the flight attendants. When you get to the immigration control they stamp it and give it back to you. You go and pick up your bags and then pass through customs, giving the form to customs agent and then leave. I was only stopped once at this point when we initially moved to the US and had more than $10K in our possession, a quick question from the guard - he looked at our bank statements as proof the money was ours to have in cash, and we were on our way in 2 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

This is incorrect.

I don't know if it has to be completed at the airport but I would think it needs to be on an original form, not a print out. It takes all of 90 seconds to complete so its not a big deal. You do not need to make a customs declaration when leaving the US.

my bad - I was reading too fast :P

Advertisement