Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lens Advice for a novice photographer

• 23-02-2015 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for advice re. a new lens. I've a Nikon D3100 camera which I bought about two years ago. I have the standard 18 - 55mm lens that came with the camera.

I would like to improve the lens as I do some photography for a football club that I'm involved with. I went to a well known retail outlet recently and the guy there was trying to sell me a second hand Nikon 70 - 300mm VR lens for €500. He said he bought it for €800. I don't know whether to believe him or not. I don't really know a whole lot about lenses but that seems quite a lot for a 2nd hand lens. I'm sure it's the same one as this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/449088-USA/Nikon_2161_AF_S_VR_Zoom_Nikkor.html

Also, I have bought a tripod and want to use the camera (and new lens, whichever one I buy) to record some of our games. Can anyone advise if this is a suitable lens for what I'm looking for? What should I expect to pay for a lens like this?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

For sports you really need to have a fast constant aperture lens. Something like a 70-200 f2.8 which is costly. You will get away with a 70-300 lens like in your example but you will need a very bright day for photos to be sharp.
    You won't need VR for sports or when using a tripod, have a look on www.adverts.ie for a s/h 70 -300 lens and I think you will find a non VR one there for under €200.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Over here the non-VR version is quite cheap. https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/nikon-af-70-300mm-f456g-lens/

It's a lens which will get you started but you will soon lust after faster glass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

first the site you linked is in the US, camera equipment is cheaper there so for a price check have a look at some european sites the euro is low at the moment so remember that when using british sites.

I did a small bit of sports photography with a sigma 80-300 APO DG it was alright (just about not pro level) depends how good your camera handles iso remember it is outside so it will be brighter than you think. its cheap, heavy and alright, there are better lenses out there.

a tripod is not useful for sports photography a monopod maybe (you see the pros using them)

Can your camera do iso1600-2000 well?

REmember even with a good 300mm lens you will still miss alot of action

Advertisement