Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing account at rented property and transfer to management agency?

Options
  • 23-02-2015 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭

Hi I emailed Electric Ireland a few weeks ago with this same query but never received any response? I am a tenant in a rented property which I am vacating on Friday. Can you please advise what I need to do to close the account and transfer it to the management agents. Bord Gais sent me this list so I presume it is more or less the same for Electric Ireland?

"Bord Gais

In order to close your account, we require the following information at the time of vacating the property.

- Full name and account number to close
    - If the Account is for a tenant, please provide the full name and contact number for the landlord. If the landlord has not held an account with us at the property before, the landlord will have to contact us himself.  A Tenant cannot legally sign another tenant to an account.
    - An agreed meter reading on the date you vacate the property
    - A forwarding address for tenant "

Also what number should I ring to carry out these steps?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi youcancallmeal,

Thanks for getting in touch with us on Boards.ie.

The requirements for closing your Electric Ireland account are indeed similar to those listed above, thank you for providing. There are some differences though, which we will outline below.
    We can take your closing account details on Friday (or after it if Friday is too busy for you) by private message here on Boards if you wish. On the PM, for security/verification purposes, please confirm your Electric Ireland account number, name, address in full and the telephone number we have for you (also stating that you are the account-holder).

Do also confirm your final meter-reading, taken Friday 27th February, and your forwarding address. We would also need the name and telephone number of someone who can take over registration of the property with a supplier (in order to prevent vacant premises disconnection). Usually this would be the landlord/lady or letting agent.

What email address did you send your query to? Sorry to read you received no response to your email.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Thanks for your reply, I emailed homeservices@electricireland.ie.
    [font=Segoe UI, Segoe UI Web Regular, Segoe UI Symbol, Helvetica Neue, BBAlpha Sans, S60 Sans, Arial, sans-serif]What number should I ring to close the account and give all the relevant details. I won't be able to send private message as I will out of the country and it will be my wife closing the account[/font]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi again youcancallmeal,

The Home Services email is for a different department to that which looks after account closures (Home Services looks after gas boiler services, thermostat installations etc) so they would send your email on to the relevant department, but are very busy at the moment so this is likely the cause of the delay. Sorry for any confusion.

Customer Service can be contacted on 1850 372 372 (their lines are open until 8pm Monday to Saturday). If it is only your name on the account, your wife's name would need to be added to your account also, in order for her to request closure of the account. If this is applicable, we can take a PM of authorisation from you to add her name. She would need to contact Electric Ireland giving agreement to have her name added to your account also.
    You do not have to contact Electric Ireland immediately on Friday to close your account either - just take a note of the final meter-reading and you can contact us shortly after (if you wish) with that reading and the date it was taken. The important thing is that the account is closed with the meter-reading taken on the day you move out, so that you are only billed up to that point.
    We are here on Boards until 6pm Monday to Friday, and there is also the Customer Service email - service @ electricireland.ie (allow three working days for response).

Kind regards,
    Una

Advertisement