Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council inspection findings on rental property

Options
  • 23-02-2015 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hi I have a house that i have rented, the council inspected it and sent me a list of their findings most weren't a problem like no fire blanket and carbon monoxide alarm (which were there at time of inspection). The one finding which is a problem is the two dividing walls in the attic between two adjacent properties don't go the whole way to the roof felt. They are few inches short and this is a fire hazard. My question is would fibre glass insulation suffice to fill this gap is it fire proof ? Or does it have to be filled with mortar or something similar? And should I be only liable for one of the walls should one of the neighbouring houses (both rented) be responsible for sealing this gap on their side ? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭acb

Just curious are you a private landlord or are you doing the long term lease with the council?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

I'm private landlord and a reluctant one at that would love to sell but current value doesn't even cover half of the mortgage still owed. It was our first house but we had to move to a bigger house due to increasing family. Tenent works so gets no help from council or state. The council are looking to inspect again the previous inspection was over a year ago and I never sorted the wall issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭acb

wow, I never knew the council could do that. Never heard of inspections happening.

ah, we too hate being landlords :(
    Would love to get rid of it. I find it stressful! worrying in case tenants destroy the place or don't pay the rent etc.

I would have thought if anyone was going to be doing an inspection it'd be the PRTB

sorry can't help with your firewall question

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

I'm guessing the council get their info from PRTB this is the third time they have requested an inspection I ignored the second one 6 months ago and heard nothing from them until last week. It's a total nightmare the rent only covers two thirds of mortgage and then all the other fees on top of that but the landlord is always the bad guy. My wife wants to default on mortgage but I know that's not the answer.

Advertisement