Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fridge problem

• 23-02-2015 1:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭

Having a problem with our fridge at the moment. It's a built in fridge-freezer so may be hard to access for any repair man but I'm sure there's a way of doing it.

Anyway, the temperature of the fridge is set by turning up and down the actual temperature (2-8 degrees) inside the fridge unlike some other fridges which have settings of 1-5 where 5 is the coldest.

So we have ours set at 4 and the stuff in the fridge isn't staying cold enough and milk is going off 3-4 days before expiration. I tried turning it to the lowest temp of 2 degrees but it made no difference to the fridge and the freezer is almost over-freezing as it is on 4 so there's not much more we can do.

Has anyone had any problems like this and who would be the best to call about fixing this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Hows the seal on the door? You can check by sticking a small piece of paper or something along the seal and close the door, see if it falls or not. Might be a bit loose somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

phill106 wrote: »
    Hows the seal on the door? You can check by sticking a small piece of paper or something along the seal and close the door, see if it falls or not. Might be a bit loose somewhere?

Will try later, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Must be the beginning of an epidemic. Had the same problem last week.
    The advice I got was;
    A dodgy seal....you've already had a reply about that
    There are two evaporators (one for the freezer and one for the fridge). If the fridge evaporator iced up try unplugging it for 48 hours (to let it de-ice) and then power up again.
    May need a ReGas....cheaper to buy a new Fridge.
    I also found that Allens on William st sell fridge thermometers for €5

I was told that a call-out would cost around €80 and then any parts and labour would be on top of that :eek:.
    I eventually caved and bought a new one out in Harvey Normans. I never go for the extended warranty but they gave me an extra 4 years (call-out, parts & labour) for €39. For piece of mind I took it, so the yoke will probably outlast me now.
    I did buy one of their cheaper Fridge/Freezers so I'm sure that kept the Warranty price down.

I can't remember his name just now but one of the Sales Guys in HM did give my other half the number of a guy who does call-outs. If you're still stuck let me know and I'll see if I can dig out the piece of paper with his details.

Ok I need to get a fridge thermometer before we do anything about the fridge. As suggested, there's a good chance now that it's the seal.

Where will I get a fridge thermometer in Limerick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

In the middle of the post above yours............;)

• Advertisement

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    In the middle of the post above yours............;)

Going blind in old age :P

Looking for it on Google Maps, purely cos I've never come across this place before, and it's saying its opposite Lifestyle Sports but thats on 18 William St and Allens is on 68. What well known shops is it beside?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it! Google Maps suddenly updated to show Allens beside Currys!

So ya....the fridge is set to 4 degrees and the thermometer is showing a whopping 13 degrees!!! It's actually in between 13 and 14 now! Didn't expect that! What now? Would a dodgy seal lead to such a massive rise in temperature or would it need a re gas?

Advertisement