Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Honda deauville cutting out

• 23-02-2015 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all, I'm new to the forum - first post - and hoping to find someone to advise on a bike problem. I own a 2008 Honda Deauville and used it daily until 2010. Since then it has been used very infrequently.

For the past couple of years the bike starts cutting out after about 10-20 minutes. Usually what happens is that when the bike is stopped in traffic or at traffic lights it begins cutting out. If i keep the revs high it wont cut out. However, if i'm caught and it cuts out, it wont start again for anything up to 20 minues later.

I have been told that it may have something to do with the petrol lying in the tank for long period without being used.

Has anyone come across this before?

Any advice would be welcome-thanks.

Hondabiker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hondavfr

It may be worth trying a petrol treatment such as redex in a tank of fuel, i know it sorted my bike last year where i got a bad tank of fuel. I now add it to the tank when i am leaving it up over the winter months. Is it idling at the correct revs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Check the idle screw, might be set too low for when the bikes warmed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Two things I'd check first.

If the tilt sensor comes loose it can cause stalling issues There was a recall for these numbers check your VIN
    VTMRC52A*8E020001– VTMRC52A*8E020360
    VTMRC52U*8E000001– VTMRC52U*8E000060
    VTMRC52B*8E020005– VTMRC52B*8E022884
    Easy enough to DIY It looks like a block with a half round bottom Its under the clocks in the nose, just make sure the bolts are tight.

Also the plug caps can give trouble, worth putting new ones in and maybe replace the original plugs at the same time. Iridium ones last for a long time compared to the standard ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

I was going to say faulty fuel pump but your model has fuel injection so I would recommend on getting it checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 hondabiker

I don't think it's the idle screw as it has never been adjusted and the problem has only arisen since about 2013.

After heating up, the bike does not idle normally - it seems to struggle at the revs and begins to cut out. If it does cut out, I have trouble re-starting it- it could anything up to 15-20 mins to get it started again.

However, if i take it for a few long spins over a weekend, the problem doesn't seem to arise.

• Advertisement

hondabiker wrote: »
    I don't think it's the idle screw as it has never been adjusted and the problem has only arisen since about 2013.

After heating up, the bike does not idle normally - it seems to struggle at the revs and begins to cut out. If it does cut out, I have trouble re-starting it- it could anything up to 15-20 mins to get it started again.

However, if i take it for a few long spins over a weekend, the problem doesn't seem to arise.
    Change the plug caps first, its a known issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 hondabiker

What should the Honda Deauville 2008 be idling at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

Sounds like an intermittent pump.

hondabiker wrote: »
    What should the Honda Deauville 2008 be idling at?
    1200±100 rpm Adjuster is on the bottom of the throttle butterfly.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Papa_Bear

I had a similar sounding problem with my nt700. It turned out to be cracked insulators on the spark plug causing the spark to short out to the engine block. No problem starting and running from cold but after 20 mins or so it would cut out if I let off the throttle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement