Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lidl/aldi sportswear

• 23-02-2015 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Any of their stuff any good? I see some sports tops Etc coming out next week for as little as 7.99

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

The Lidl gear is for Running.

I imagine Cycling will follow next week or toward the start of March.

Their gear is generally quite good. Some don't rate the padding of their shorts but their softshell jackets are second to none as are their Gilets.

Got a pair of Aldi shorts and tights. Both are lasting well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

Schecter01 wrote: »
    Any of their stuff any good? I see some sports tops Etc coming out next week for as little as 7.99

IMO.. spend a few extra bob, it will be worthed.Plenty of offers on the usual websites

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I use both their jackets, a soft shell from lidl with fleece lining for winter and a lighter convertible one from aldi and find them very good. have a rain jacket too. they're the only cycling jackets I have, but I find them excellent to be honest.

I have a couple of gloves, winter and track mitts and find them great too. The winter ones are soo warm It's deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Schecter01

Online the clothes next week are running. It was the quality not the sport I was wondering about, thanks I may try some out, some cycling apparel can add up quickly on the wallet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've a good bit of Adli stuff, mostly its pretty decent gear but as someone mentioned the padding can be a bit thin otherwise I've had no bother with anything.

I've worn their winter cycling gloves the last two winters and they've kept me pretty toasty, although they are not waterproof.

I don't know about their shoes or helmets, but so far I use their running tops as layers, I've a jacket and gilet, gloves, bib shorts and tights, and arm warmers. I bought leg warmers but so far their tights have been adequate no matter how cold its been outside so I haven't tried them (leg warmers).

• Registered Users Posts: 9 scoothouse

Have brought plenty of Aldi 'clothing' over the time - all still going strong. Good quality and cheaper than the larger named stores lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

I've a few of their compression tops, I have underarmor and skins compression tops too, i love them for in the gym but when cycling for some reason the aldi ones are my go to tops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Depends what size you are too, not much to fit smaller cyclists.

I did get a kids merino baselayer in Aldi for a tenner though. Happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

MugMugs wrote: »
    The Lidl gear is for Running.

I imagine Cycling will follow next week or toward the start of March.

Their gear is generally quite good. Some don't rate the padding of their shorts but their softshell jackets are second to none as are their Gilets.
    What makes you say that? I held off buying some stuff for my new bike today thinking I hadn't seen Aldi or Lidl cycling stuff in ages, would like to know I did the right thing.

I love all their running cycling and hiking stuff, dont really use anything else except Shimano shoes, the various shops must hate Aldi and Lidl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Their compression base layers are good, have been wearing them for the last few seasons and no complaints so far. The shorts, jerseys and jackets are usually way too big for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Thargor wrote: »
    What makes you say that? I held off buying some stuff for my new bike today thinking I hadn't seen Aldi or Lidl cycling stuff in ages, would like to know I did the right thing.

I love all their running cycling and hiking stuff, dont really use anything else except Shimano shoes, the various shops must hate Aldi and Lidl.
    They're quite regular in their stock.

A taste of the orient last week and more or less the same week last year. They generally shift cycling gear around March April and August September.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Yanu

I think their stuff is just ok… it does the job for a while and then I end up buying again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭coppinger

I have an aldi jacket from 2001 still going strong, wore it last month on a 200km galway to dublin spin. I have bought various bits over the years - it seems to be either wear once ****e or fantastic use forever stuff - never liked any of the tights or shorts though only the jackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ssshhh123

I picked up sone base layers in pennys for 9e they do the job too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I have a few bits of Aldi gear,never had a problem with them.I posted here before that their Merino base layers were reduced and within hours, stores were cleaned out,so a lot of people are wearing Aldi stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Just an add on to this, and cheap reliable gear.. Amazon.co.uk is well worth checking out for bike gear too, as is sportsdirect but I find Amazon far cheaper and a better selection ~ plus you can read user reviews.. In my experience its best to avoid ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Davee71

I've used the winter gloves and leg warmers this winter and found them great. The leg warmers have a wind resistant front that I really like. I got tights before but didn't like the fit or chamois. The base - compression layer's are excellent.
    I got a winter jacket about a year ago...Unfortunately I bought a large where a medium would have suited. Great jacket for €25.
    The under helmet hat is great on the cold days. Quality is good overall I think. I like their rain jackets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

I've quite a bit of their stuff. Most is good. Some isn't great. I have a couple of pairs of Aldi winter bib pants and find them very good especially for the price. Padding could be better but you could spend twice the amount elsewhere and the padding wouldn't be any better. Have a couple of jackets and again find them very good especially one I got in Aldi a couple of years ago where the sleves zip off. If that one came up again I'd definitely buy it. Base layers are definitely very good. I got a rain/shower jacket that fits into a small little bag. It's very light and small and OK for showers (not for heavy rain but it's not designed for that I suppose). It has lasted almost two years without tearing which is to its credit considering how light it is. Winter gloves are grand. Their summer mitts are very light with very little padding for vibration or if you fall. As a general rule I'd say open up a pack and examine what you are thinking of buying (If you are afraid to open a pack there is usually one open anyway). If it feels cheap and poor quality then leave it behind. If it feels good then give it a go.

Their glasses aren't great and don't last too long. But for less than €5 I suppose they won't be built to last. Their shoe covers are poor. Ill fitting and prone to tearing. Lights are very much hit and miss. The small ones are fine as warning signals but aren't very bright and the big ones are fairly ugly so never got one of them. Their mudguards aren't great either. Two broke on me just taking them off and on depending on weather on the morning of a cycle. I bought a decent one in a local bike shop and that has lasted two years. Their saddle bags are good. Got a decent sized one that I can squeeze a lot into, basically whatever I need to get me home, and it is very waterproof. I have one of their multitools in the bag and it is good for simple repairs/tweaks on the road. Their pumps aren't great at high pressure.

So overall I'm fairly happy with their clothing. There might be a snobbery element in that everyone will know you are wearing Aldi/Lidl but feck them. We don't all have money to burn. Their equipment is a bit more hit and miss. Be prepared to get what you pay for and some will surprise you.

And yes I'm an Aldi/Lidl junkie... you should see my DIY collection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭C3PO

Find the base/compression stuff to be very good. I have a couple of jackets but find the soft shell ones to be far too sweaty. Like most things ... you get what you pay for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭thejaguar

I use a lot of gear from Aldi/Lidl. Jackets, gloves, arm warmers, hat, sunglasses, shoe covers - all excellent quality.

I use their shorts/tights for commuting (~10k) - if you're doing any decent amount of cycling I'd recommend investing a little more in your shorts or tights. You'll get a better fit, and a more comfortable chamois.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have an Aldi long sleeve Jersey from the Pro range. It's excellent and my favourite LS Jersey. It's windproof to the front, tight fitting and therefore warm and has the long ass flap to prevent my ass getting wet if the roads are wet. I also have their winter bib tights and find them excellent and warm/weather proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

ssshhh123 wrote: »
    I picked up sone base layers in pennys for 9e they do the job too

So did I the techno layer ones and I'm really impressed with them, as good as anything I've had in the past and some of the stuff has cost 5 times as much.

As for Aldi and Lidl gear I think the Aldi range is better and if your patient they usually drop in price as they try and shift stock.I have bought gloves, winter jacket and a couple of pairs of tights last year and they have kept me warm on the road over the winter months.i do generally wear a pair of better cycling shorts under my tights for comfort and to fend off nut freeze.

I'm hoping the next aldi/lidl range includes a bicycle car rack they don't seem to have stocked one in any of the cycling ranges for quite some time now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Are the lidl/aldi base layers suitable to be used all year around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Are the lidl/aldi base layers suitable to be used all year around?

They are good for winter and early spring but after that you should not need to wear them!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I've a couple of the Aldi winter jackets. Good, but if anything a bit too warm, and really only good in very cold weather and a bit sweaty otherwise. That said, they've had a lot of use, and held up well. The compression base layers are great and have also lasted well. Didn't much like the fingerless gloves.

I had a look at the shoes, and the place where you mount the cleat didn't seem recessed which rather kills the point of SPDs as far as I'm concerned. Pity, as they'd be great value otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭seanin4711

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

I use aldi/lidl stuff for commuting and its great. The best thing is that you can buy 3 or 4 sets without remortgaging the house and then you only have to do a wash every few days. Most days I have lidl cycling shoes (the last batch were great value for 25 euro), aldi socks, lidl bib, lidl base layer and aldi zip up top on. All of them are excellent pieces of kit (especially given the price)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭devonp

seanin4711 wrote: »

will it work with a Garmin 810 ..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

The cycling gear will be in stock in Lidl next Thursday, 12/3.

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=427

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

bajer101 wrote: »
    The cycling gear will be in stock in Lidl next Thursday, 12/3.

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=427

Can't understand why they never have tubes with presta valves on them, after everything else had sold there's always a load of odd tubes lying about that are useless to most. If they done any sort of market research they'd fibd that presta tubes have the biggest market.

Can't understand why they never have tubes with presta valves on them, after everything else had sold there's always a load of odd tubes lying about that are useless to most. If they done any sort of market research they'd fibd that presta tubes have the biggest market.

My old bike only takes Schrader valves. I's almost impossible to get tubes in his size and schrader. I have pretty much only gotten them in Lidl the last few years!

But you're right, to most useless.

Advertisement