Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting 1st year again

Options
  • 23-02-2015 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Would appreciate advice on my situation,

I have just reapplied to the cao this year with DIT Bioscience down as my first choice but I have a couple of questions

I did one year in Maynooth doing Biomed which was grand but I really struggled with the maths, failed them all and dropped out.

I'm wondering is the maths relatively the same in DIT?

Also because I was doing the biomed course I didn't have to do physics, but if I went to DIT, I would. So this would probably make it harder on me as I never done physics (done bio and chem though)

I'd just wondering if anyone is in a similar situation and can help me?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

Not to put a downer on it but if you have a poor aptitude for maths anything science and engineering related will be a major struggle for you. Especially given you're failing 1st year stuff, which is usually pretty simple IME.
    If its a course in the same field, the material would be broadly similar I would imagine.

Perhaps you should reassess your strengths and weaknesses and choose a course of study in which you have strengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭fruttituttii

Not to put a downer on it but if you have a poor aptitude for maths anything science and engineering related will be a major struggle for you. Especially given you're failing 1st year stuff, which is usually pretty simple IME.
    If its a course in the same field, the material would be broadly similar I would imagine.

Perhaps you should reassess your strengths and weaknesses and choose a course of study in which you have strengths.

No downer atal that's what I think myself, it's just that I love biology and chemistry and always have done really well in them,
    I done a questionnaire/survey thing on qualifix which indicates science/medical career.

So should I try and struggle through first year again?

I don't think I would enjoy something like an arts course so I'm at a lost at what to do,

No downer atal that's what I think myself, it's just that I love biology and chemistry and always have done really well in them,
    I done a questionnaire/survey thing on qualifix which indicates science/medical career.

I don't think I would enjoy something like an arts course so I'm at a lost at what to do,

If you struggle with 1st year maths based subjects you will most certainly struggle with 2nd 3rd 4th year subjects. Do you really want your college life to be a succession of stuggling with modules and doing repeats?

I wouldn't take much heed of those online tests.

You should talk to a career guidance counsellor or to a few lecturers.

If you struggle with 1st year maths based subjects you will most certainly struggle with 2nd 3rd 4th year subjects. Do you really want your college life to be a succession of stuggling with modules and doing repeats?

I wouldn't take much heed of those online tests.

You should talk to a career guidance counsellor or to a few lecturers.

No defiantly not, but any courses I have looked at and just mainly biology based, where maths is just for first year? Or am I wrong in thinking that?

I don't know anything about the life sciences but if, as you say, maths is just in 1st yr then you might just be able to push through it.

Best bet is to speak to the course director or someone like that.

• Advertisement

Just to add I only did ordinary level maths for Lc and got the minimum b3

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you got the minimum, you got what they consider enough to be able to do the course.
    Most ITs have a dedicated group of people who help those falling behind, particularly in Maths. Seek that group or person out and avail of the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

There is maths support in the college, and from my own experience, if you show the interest and desire to better yourself, most lecturers will go out of their way to help you work through examples. If you are tripping over fundamental operations and formulae then focus on getting that right, as if you don't have the building blocks to start, you will always find the more complex material difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 qwerty074

Hi OP, I'm currently in first year in Bioscience in DIT. We share all our lectures in the first semester with 3 other level 7 degrees, then branch off in the second semester.
    There is 2 maths modules in first year (1 in semester 1, the other in semester 2).If you go onto the course website, you can see what material we cover in the modules. Also, there's the Maths learning centre in Kevin St. that provides help.

For you not doing physics, don't worry! There's loads of people who are in the same situation. I didn't do chemistry for the LC and found the chemistry lectures not too bad. We all have to do biology, chemistry and physics in the first semester and very few people would've done all 3 subjects for their LC.

qwerty074 wrote: »
    Hi OP, I'm currently in first year in Bioscience in DIT. We share all our lectures in the first semester with 3 other level 7 degrees, then branch off in the second semester.
    There is 2 maths modules in first year (1 in semester 1, the other in semester 2).If you go onto the course website, you can see what material we cover in the modules. Also, there's the Maths learning centre in Kevin St. that provides help.

For you not doing physics, don't worry! There's loads of people who are in the same situation. I didn't do chemistry for the LC and found the chemistry lectures not too bad. We all have to do biology, chemistry and physics in the first semester and very few people would've done all 3 subjects for their LC.

Really appreciate the feedback, thanks.

I looked up the material covered and it looks to be much the same as dit, i think?
    1st semester we did differentiation calculus and linear algebra then 2nd semester we did integral calculus and data analysis? is that more less the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Again, not to rain on your parade, but if 1st Year is a struggle for you then you might be better off thinking about other courses. It's a lot of time, energy, and money to spend on something that really should be a pleasure for the most part. Bear in mind that you are likely to encounter even more difficult mathematics during your career.

Could you take maths grinds between now and the CAO deadline to see if you can improve with one-on-one teaching?

Aard wrote: »
    Again, not to rain on your parade, but if 1st Year is a struggle for you then you might be better off thinking about other courses. It's a lot of time, energy, and money to spend on something that really should be a pleasure for the most part. Bear in mind that you are likely to encounter even more difficult mathematics during your career.

Could you take maths grinds between now and the CAO deadline to see if you can improve with one-on-one teaching?

Ya the most worrying part from me is having to spend so much and then what happens if I fail again. I never bothered doing the repeat exams for maths because I didn't like maynooth in the first place.

I know if I did get grinds I probably would, but I do hate maths!
    Even at the beginning I struggled with logs etc because I never did them before, but I never really tried to understand them or studied.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

That's a bit of a defeatist attitude tbh. A change in approach would be needed to get through four years of college.

I would say I had that attitude last year but if I did it this year Id put everything into it, plus the money is quite a big factor to motivate me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

You really need to be mentally ready for when you return - I was 3 years out of college after I dropped out at first and it was a huge perspective gain for me - I'm getting top results in my new course because I'm very much focused this time and doing something I love.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Adambutterly

Hi guys,

Wondering myself about bioscience in DIT if anyone has anymore info.
    I'm currently in my 3rd year in environmental health doing my placement and i hate it!! always thought the course would have more microbiology and stuff and now in placement its just all about health and safety and inspections and the whole process is just so negative. I know i don't want a career in this sector. in my current course the first 2 years have a good few science subjects such as chemistry,physics and bio and maths. Maths isn't my strong point so i'm afraid for bioscience but then again for first and second year in college i didn't actually study very much and managed to pass the physics, chemistry and small amount of maths given to us with not the greatest difficulty. as a student going back and giving up on my current degree and a strong interest in biology and microbiology would you say bioscience is manageable to someone who isn't off the bat the most intelligent but works hard? I really want to start a degree in bioscience or pharmaceuticals but i feel for pharma the chemistry aspect might be too much.
    any info is greatly appreciated. thanks

Advertisement