Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flow Hive frames innovation

Options
  • 23-02-2015 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭

I saw this on a US sports forum and thought you people might be interested.

Unfortunately I'm not a beekeeper (yet) so can't comment on its practicality or suitability for irish conditions.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/flow-hive-honey-on-tap-directly-from-your-beehive

Interestingly, they set out to get crowd funding of $70,000 but after only a day are at $1.75 Million :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

It's definitely popular, but it doesn't mean that it'll work as expected - I'll wait until I see the results. The immediately obvious questions are whether it's possible to determine if the frames are sealed correctly and the honey is ripe, and if the mechanics of the board will squish the bees when opening or closing the cells.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

If this is a sucess I would say it could introduce hundreds if not thousands into beekeeping, No?

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    If this is a sucess I would say it could introduce hundreds if not thousands into beekeeping, No?

Introduce - yes.

I could imagine an awful lot of disillusioned people trying to offload their gear a year or two later though.

Even if the flow frames work perfectly for harvesting honey, they don't manage swarm control, diseases, aggressive bees, over-wintering, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

MayoSalmon wrote: »

Doubtful. People still have the issue of where to put a hive let alone where to get the bees to put in it.

Advertisement