Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annabel Karmel

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

jlm29 wrote: »
    I’d wait til 6 months rather than 4 (My PHN recommended 6 also -or rather agreed with me when I told her it would be 6) and look at gill rapleys book rather than AK- AK is grand, I used it with my first, but having baby led weaned my second, I wouldn’t go back to purées.
    There’s another baby led weaning by an Irish author out now. I can’t remember her name though? Maybe someone else knows

Aileen Cox Blundell. It’s a much better book than Gill Rapley’s too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

mitresize5 wrote: »
    myself and my wife spent hours on end cooking up the recipes and he went to his eye teeth in them.

18 months later all the little bollox will eat is sausages and waffles

oh well .... the best laid plans and all that

Ha ha snap. Ah now our little guy is not quite that bad but up to 1 had the best diet going + all his meals we cooked up for him from the book now he turns his nose up at everything.

We used the complete Baby + Toddler one. Found it brilliant up to 1 then they can really just eat all the family meals. That's if they are in the humour:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

Highly recommend Baby Led Feeding by Aileen Cox-Blundell, great recipes for the whole family. We've done Baby Led Weaning at 6 months with the last two babies and love it. They just eat whatever we're having (minus the salt) and usually feed themselves. Our toothless 8 month old can eat crackers with cream cheese, ham sandwiches, fish fingers etc.
    It can be a bit messier than traditional weaning but you don't have to spend time doing purees so it suited us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

jlm29 wrote: »
    I’d wait til 6 months rather than 4 (My PHN recommended 6 also -or rather agreed with me when I told her it would be 6) and look at gill rapleys book rather than AK- AK is grand, I used it with my first, but having baby led weaned my second, I wouldn’t go back to purées.
    There’s another baby led weaning by an Irish author out now. I can’t remember her name though? Maybe someone else knows

Aileen Cox Blundell. It’s a much better book than Gill Rapley’s too.

Thanks, that’s the one. I think I’ll get it, though I swore I was buying no more cookbooks of any sort! I need to up my game a bit- 28 weeks on wed, and the poor divel is lucky to get a few carrots here and there, and a finger of toast. Though I did catch my toddler trying to ram a queen cake into his eager gob yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

NHS solid guidelines here below. I have the Aileen cox cookbook. Have barely used it! We mix spoon feeding and finger foods as the lads just eat what we do. We spoon feed porridge and soup and yoghurt. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/solid-foods-weaning.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Used all of them here....Anabel Karmel was a present on No.1 so used that. Got baby led weaning for no. 2 but I admit we went with mostly purees and then she got on to really solid stuff probably a bit quicker than no.1 did. We didn't hold back so much, let her have a go of everything that was going! She's serious little eater now anyway!!!! Didn't have the time to be baby stepping her through all the stages, and she was eager to give it all a shot.

The biggest challenge for a couple of months alright is preventing no. 1 from sharing their cheese cubes and the like with no. 2!!! Then it becomes No.2 demanding exactly what no.1 has.......:eek::D They keep you on your toes alright :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Thanks

Only 4 months old but not going to start solids yet just preparing for it and will wait until 17 weeks and then decide and its going to be baby steps, pardon the pun:)

Will have a look at these books over the weekend and see

Cheers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Stock up on small plastic tubs.
    They are falling out of every press in my kitchen yet I never seem to have enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Has anyone tried receipes from Mummy Cooks (Siobhan Berry)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

shesty wrote: »
    Stock up on small plastic tubs.
    They are falling out of every press in my kitchen yet I never seem to have enough!

We found these brilliant especially freezable ones. We woukd cook up batches of food + then could freeze them + take out individual portions when needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭otwb1

I just did baby led weaning with my two. let them at whatever you are eating. (they suck steak etc. roasted butternut squash goes down well as its soft. but has a slight skin.) I had bought the plastic tubs etc, but never used them.

if you're going down that route I'd recommend doing a first aid course. Learning the difference between a gag to get food back to the front of their mouths when they're learning and a choke is handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭otwb1

(and I'd definitely second the Neavyn Maguire first 1000 days book)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We combo weaned our first. BLW for finger stuff but also spoon fed for yoghurts and soups etc. Worked very well and no confusion. Gave him one spoon to play with while we fed around him. We had to be sure he was eating as it helped his reflux

Advertisement