Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards GS - 21 March - Naas Golf Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sofireland

Lucky I checked teamer today I'd have been double booked

Will be driving down from Navan if anyone wants a lift / car share

Also lads what's the joining fee for soceity again and green fees for Sat?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

sofireland wrote: »
    Lucky I checked teamer today I'd have been double booked

Will be driving down from Navan if anyone wants a lift / car share

Also lads what's the joining fee for soceity again and green fees for Sat?

Society joining fee is €30 and its €35 for the green fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I'm thinking 8th for Nearest Pin & 18th for Longest Drive

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭stitcheddepin

Seve OB wrote: »
    I'm thinking 8th for Nearest Pin & 18th for Longest Drive

the 8th is a good call for NTP
    The 18th is really wide sweeping dogleg fairway, left to right on a hill
    it would prove difficult to determine the furthest drives, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

the 8th is a good call for NTP
    The 18th is really wide sweeping dogleg fairway, left to right on a hill
    it would prove difficult to determine the furthest drives, imo.

Think 15th would be better for long drive? 18th is severe sideways slope

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭stitcheddepin

ye 13,15 or 16. flat fairways

ye 13,15 or 16. flat fairways

16 is easy to run out of fairway unless you can draw it. 13 would be good ok with elevated tee box. Plenty of room

16 is easy to run out of fairway unless you can draw it. 13 would be good ok with elevated tee box. Plenty of room

We had longest drive on this hole last time - 301 yards as far as i can remember!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

charlieIRL wrote: »
    We had longest drive on this hole last time - 301 yards as far as i can remember!!

16 is fairly sharp dogleg left, it's probably not a driver for most to get to the corner from forward tees. Less than a 200 yard shot I'd say...then a wedge in.

18 isn't great either due to the slope, it would be hard to tell which is longer.

13 & 15 are straight with plenty of run out. 13 is very impressive from it's elevated tee.

cheers guys, so will we go with 15?

it gives people me :rolleyes: something to play for coming down the stretch out of it, with a measly 14 points in the bag!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

PARlance wrote: »
    16 is fairly sharp dogleg left, it's probably not a driver for most to get to the corner from forward tees. Less than a 200 yard shot I'd say...then a wedge in.

18 isn't great either due to the slope, it would be hard to tell which is longer.

13 & 15 are straight with plenty of run out. 13 is very impressive from it's elevated tee.

So what you're saying is 16th is driveable! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

it gives people me :rolleyes: something to play for

just make sure you let the green clear this time :rolleyes:

RoadRunner wrote: »
    just make sure you let the green clear this time :rolleyes:

haha, well that was the best tee shot i will hit for a long long time, can't see a repeat of that coming to soon

charlieIRL wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 11 johnny_cahill

Where's the time sheet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Where's the time sheet

On this thread.

Clubs in car since thursday = check
    Golf shoes in car = check
    Clothes left out since yesterday = check
    Few beers the night before (ala fixdepitchmark) = check!!

See ye in the morning everyone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

charlieIRL wrote:
    See ye in the morning everyone!!

All packed and ready to go. I'm like a child on Christmas morning :) looking forward to the round. See ye all later

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Enjoy all, out the door myself now for home society outing, lovely day for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 bombedbiscuit

sorry for short notice lads but have to pull out , family all not well .... enjoy the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭bobster453

Dammit..left too early..sitting in car park ..hate waiting to play..being late is so much better :)

Dammit..left too early..sitting in car park ..hate waiting to play..being late is so much better :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

and the scores are...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 johnny_cahill

Great weather great day cheers to the two ladies for the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

slave1 wrote: »
    and the scores are...
    FixDePitch won obviously, and if he didn't he should have, but that damned OTT musta crept in again:pac::pac:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kieran.

38 was the club house leader from the first group. Beautiful day for golf. Course in excellent condition slick greens with some really tricky pins

Great day great course great company...thanks all.Pity about the golf from me anyhow.Driver couldnt make up its mind what it wanted to do.28 points aint going to cut it.Maybe the kind handicap committee will take pity on poor old me and give me 5 or 6 shots.Thanks again to Seve and committee for another great day out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Nice day and great course, unfortunately I had a bad case of the shanks and struggled with the pace of the greens.

Some great golf from Seve and Paulos, they were neck and neck with two to go but a 4, 5 finish gave Seve a score of 42.

I do apologise for my moaning about the pace of play, after such a bad score I was quite grumpy but it was slow, just under 5 hours.

Thanks to all who organised

J

:D No Norfolk - not the OTT problem today - the other one. Was talking to a lovely Kerry lad in society today.

Apparently there was a society out in front too - was told that in clubhouse. Played a part in the hold up.

Wasn't in a rush anywhere, I loved the day - but did get a bit tiring at end.

Class day for golf - a brilliant course , best golf I've played at a boards outing - but putter deserted me after an eagle putt miss on 7. I just couldn't snap out of it till 15 - painful run of holes

So disappointing 36pts.

Class round by Barnaboy - but still wasn't enough for the win - scoring conditions very good out there. But a tough enough course.

Barnaboy could of had more - but the OOB , that is not an OOB on 12, is the only poor aspect of course. Confused us all - if in doubt, read card.

Great to meet some more usernames - some guys I know , but don't know - a funny set up. Great , Great food and was free too :P - sorry Charlie.

Catch all again soon - may bring the Guitar to Cork at year end - new hobby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sofireland

Great day well done to all who organised
    Naas was in great condition - started well on front nine - wheels fell off on back nine somewhat.

Was in a great group - roll on next outing.

• Advertisement

Delighted for Seve to get his win - after his hard week and all the work he puts in.

Thanks all for making the changes this year - great to turn up to a top course at a particular time,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Just here on the way back to cork eating a mcflurry needed a "pick me up" after today's round. Thanks to princess poppy, niall d and hole in one for the company going round. Great course in brilliant condition for this time of the year!! Really enjoyed the scenery walking around cause God knows I didn't play too much golf  ball spent more time in my pocket that on grass today  but sure if ya can have a laugh about it what's the point.

Thanks to seve againg for organising the even and a well deserved winner!!

P.s there's a lot to be said for coming paddy last walked away with three new golf balls and a few new tees 

Very poor round from myself, worst round I've had around there with 26 points.

A great day all the same, like a summers day out there. Stitcheddepin and doublecross lead the way in our group, doublecross with a great 38 points. Myself and Kieran... Well we enjoyed watching the other two play.

We were first out and came in at just under 4hrs 40.
    Not much you can do when there were members and another society out ahead and in fairness to Naas they had a ranger out and he gave the group ahead of us a kick.

By the way, left my GPS at home (bad start to day) - and had 21 pts on front.

I think I found a new thing in my game - back to the paper and pencil (lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Really enjoyed the day. Course, weather, food, craic.. all great. Played great. Was chuffed with 41pts. Hoped I'd win with that but fair play to seve for coming in with 42. I'll miss the next round but should be in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭benny79

The 12th nearly caught us out as well fix till we stopped and read the card as well about 10 times :D good company today & that was with a kerry man ha :) but the was no Dublin/kerry rivalry we'll save that for croker!!

Was the best I have ever been off the tee, but my short game was shocking! Think my putter is dead may bring it to a heart surgeon see can he revive it. My weakest part of my game was my strongest today & my strongest (putting) was my weakest! go figure.

Anyway great day super company, food & weather and well done steve!
    Roll on the next outing they cant come quick enough!

Have to say we Irish are a rare breed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Apologies for not being able to stay, have a pint and a chat but Managed to smash it down the motorway back home just in time for the final whistle in the rugby.

Thanks for everyone who organised the day and what a day it was. Course is in tremendous condition for this time of year, especially the greens which were really good. Thanks to both the champ and road runner for the enjoyable game and the tremendous round from road runner which could and should have been better. Lots of missed opportunities on the greens.

While I wasn't expecting that much from my game considering its my second round of the year, I really should have done better. 30 points off 6 in perfect conditions was quite poor.

My bloody iron play was just atrocious all day and only hit about 3 greens in regulation which is pathetic considering I wasn't out of position that much. Anyway, lots to improve on and hopefully a better showing the next outing. Might need to invest in a GPS too with the way my distance control went today.

Strangest thing about the course was that OB on the left of 12. Just couldn't understand it at all not that I was near it or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Macker1

RoadRunner wrote:
    Really enjoyed the day. Course, weather, food, craic.. all great. Played great. Was chuffed with 41pts. Hoped I'd win with that but fair play to seve for coming in with 42. I'll miss the next round but should be in Cork.

Unlucky...... Good shooting and that's the big positive to take on board.

RoadRunner wrote: »

Sorry RoadRunner on slagging you missing NTP - The irony , as I missed 6 similar ones.

Great shot - well barnaboy had one better there.

Was it a PW ? or maybe even a 48/52 ?

Was very hard to get the big drops on par 3s right. Well done.

Yes benny we got card - and also read it about 5/6 times.

Dr Rieux is clever, so we went with him on it.

Seems to make sense now - as we think it is a way to stop people playing 12 to get nearer 18. But a couple of notes should be on it - never seen it before - an evil internal OB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Really enjoyed my first Boards outing and thanks to my playing partners Cathal, Bob & Terry. Course in great condition, surprised it was placing everywhere. Pace of play was a tad slow 4:45 hrs but thankfully the company was good and it didn't feel that long. Great to have a chat with my fellow club member Princess Poppy & Shauna. Finally got to meet Fixdepitchmark and after having a quick chat I reckon we could be great friends.
    Golf was a bit strange today, played well in spurts but hit some poor drives and putted indifferently. Missed at least 3 from 2ft. That been said I had 3 birdies on 7,14 & 18.
    35pts was a decent return for the way I played, well done to all the prize winners and I'm looking forward to meeting ye all at the next outing.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

Really enjoyed the day and the company. Me and golfgraffix didn't have the greatest of days but seve and Paulos played some brilliant golf. Cracking course in great condition. Well done seve on the win well deserved.

Another great day out on a course that even though I've only played it twice, I love the place. Great company again meeting old faces and new.
    Started off by putting my first ball out over the trees on the right and was thinking, here we go again. Steadied the ship for the next 7 with some half decent golf and finished the front 9 as I started it with a bad drive and had a 5 with the second ball. Thankfully a better back with a few pars and a damming scratch to finish up with 35 points. Could have been more but I'm happy enough with it, would it have been better with new irons?!!!
    Great crack in the bar after too, could have stayed there all night if I was having a few beers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭athlone99

Had a shocker of a round but still managed a birdie on the 14 th nd chipped in out of the sand on 15 so a few positives from the day! Enjoyed the chat with the lads tigerwoods, macker and dan and good to play with a few lads i havent before! Now wheres the heineken!!

I'm on my cousins stag , we are in reardens in cork and never mind the little toe rag getting married.... Tonight is a celebration :)
    Delighted with my game today, thanks to everyone, will post more when I recover sometime on Monday or Tuesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Really enjoyable round with Macker, tigerwood and Athlone99 on a picturesque course. Didn't play well after parring the first and smashing a great drive down the second and contrived to take seven from 80 yards out. The missed two footer for a point was a harbinger.

Four scratches on the front nine put paid to any ambitions I may have had. Had 18 for the back nine after scratching 10 so righted the ship somewhat.

None of us played particularly well but we had a lovely relaxed leisurely round in beautiful surroundings, what else could you ask for really, well maybe the odd straight drive :P

Naas is a very nice course that I look forward to having another pop at; just one problem it's in Sallins not Naas :confused::pac:

It's a very inviting course that is begging you to play well, I'm just sorry I couldn't oblige.

Well done on the win Seve, enjoy the celebrations! A proper captain wouldn't dare win though, look at Charlie last year :p Although you won't have to waste a pick on yourself now ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Another great day out with the boards crew, even if my scoring wasn't up to par.

Had a solid front 9, 19 points, fell apart on the back to come in with 3 scratches & 11 points for a total of 30. Missed a couple of putts that I shouldn't have but also rolled in a few that I probably shouldn't have too. My 2 on the NTP 8th being a highlight for a massive share of the 2s pot :D

Did myself no favours off the tee today, hitting almost everything left. Mid irons were hit & miss, short irons solid as was most of my stuff around the greens.

A pleasure to share the course with pistol, Shane & bigchap.

Pistol a man on the way back.Don't think he missed a fairway all day. A better day with the putter & would have been right up at the business end of things.

Shane, just wasn't his day. Not getting the cleanest contact & think the head just went a but early in the round. Showed flashes of brilliance & a positive finish with a par on 17 & birdie on 18.

Bigchap had the big gun out with him today. Superb off the tee, powerful draw, a joy to watch...must give that g30 a hit. Showed plenty of finesse too though with some great scrambles to pick up points that could easily have gotten away from him.

Will drop down the table after today's outing, it's a seriously competitive society

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

I'm on my cousins stag , we are in reardens in cork and never mind the little toe rag getting married.... Tonight is a celebration :)
    Delighted with my game today, thanks to everyone, will post more when I recover sometime on Monday or Tuesday

Jaysus I thought there'd be more out, Cork is dead tonight. What were the prizes lads?

Played in a boards outing yesterday for the first time and delighted that I took the plunge. Had a very enjoyable round with shaunac, holeinone and nialld, even if the golf fell short.
    Naas is always great to play but on a day like yesterday it was gorgeous.
    The lads were all very welcoming and its great to put a face to some of the peculiar names. It's a very well run and competitive society and thanks to all those who put in the work.
    Well done to seve on a great score on a tight course with tough pin positions. Looking forward to tullamore...............
    and more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

After a hectic 48 hours, first chance to post on the day, sitting here in my hotel room in the real capital!

First of all thanks to Fix for all the kind words in this thread and on the course, a real gent and a great golfer too. Not hard to see how he scored a 68...

Delighted with the way I played. Was very consistent all day, didn't do a whole lot wrong. So many highlights- course magnificent, weather like summer, great playing partners and the golf wasn't too bad either. Managed 4 birdies in the round, pretty sure that's my biggest ever haul for a round (definitely remember getting 3 before anyway). So many other highlights too- the reload on the par 3 8th hole- after unexpectedly finding my first in the drain behind the green, went back to the teebox and almost holed the reload. Had a 18 inch putt for a bogey and 1 point! Then chipping in for a 2 on the 10th. But for me the finish was the most pleasing. On the 12th, when a perfectly good drive seemed to be out of bounds, then not, it distracted my focus and scratched the only hole of the day. I then played the last 6 holes in -1, including a short missed putt for par on 16.

I had 3 doubles and a scratch and still went around in 82, so that means I played the other 14 holes in +1. Really starting to believe that I can make my target of single figures this year.

Already looking forward to seeing all of you in Tullamore.

Advertisement