Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nursing mother needed in galway area or connacht..willing to travel

• 23-02-2015 4:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    total long shot here but i have 6 puppies that are only 2 days old and their mother wont take to them to feed them. so i am making an appeal to anyone who may have a nursing dog that might take on these poor little guys to feed them. we are trying to feed them ourselves by hand but not having much luck and of course being in full time employment ourselves its not easy - just to point out these dogs are not ours, owner is elderly and currently in hospital

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Can you call a local rescue and see if anyone can help you feed the babies by hand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Is the mother attacking them? Has she been taken from her familiar surroundings? Sometimes stress can make them reject their puppies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

Are these puppies of any pedigree?, ie is it worth spending anything on them?
    I don't mean to be rude but if I was in your position that's what I'd be asking myself.
    Is the owner even aware that there are puppies on the scene?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

she was brought to vet on saturday as she seemed distressed and vet delivered pups by section. for some reason (im raging over this) but she was not put with her pups after the op, they were kept in seperate box until we came to collect them all. when we got home she tried to put her with them but she snapped at them and us. she was obviously in alot of pain and I dont think she knows what to make if them. its her first (and last) litter. she just runs from them when she sees them. we tried many times to coax her to them over the weekend but no luck.
    I rang our local rescue and obvious their full to brim but they suggested i put call out in case someone had a nursing dog that might take them on

no they are not pedigree pups

• Advertisement

What do you propose to do with 6 puppies. What's more, what's an elderly and infirm owner going to do with 6 puppies?
    Sound's like you're making hassle for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I think vets are afraid that they will roll on the pups after the section. What a horrible situation for everyone. Just because they are not pedigree does not mean there should not be an attempt to save them. Has her milk come in much? It can take a bit longer after a section & the hormones with that might help.

Otherwise they will need a heat lamp to keep warm. Never attempt to feed a cold puppy as their digestive system stops & the milk just sits with terrible conseqences. They will need to be stimulated for toileting after feeding with a warm pad/cloth on their bottoms. Use puppy milk only for feeding with bottles/droppers. I have had success getting puppies to suck milk off a sponge. They should be weighed & records kept & fed during the night too. It is extremely hard work but very rewarding.

sorry I dont have the same view as you Chemical Byrne, I don't see it as making hassle for myself trying to keep 6 puppies alive, its unfortunate yes that the mother cannot feed herself, it would make it all alot easier on everyone but its just not turning out that way and we are trying to make best of a bad situation right now and do anything we can to keep these pups alive

Fair enough I suppose. I've my opinion and you've your opinion to which you are entitled. Let's agree to disagree I suppose.
    But good luck with what you are doing, or whatever.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Chemical Byrne,
    This is the Animals and Pets forum, where there is a rather different ethos compared to other forums when it comes to animal welfare.
    Here, a pup is a pup is a pup, we don't tend to discriminate against them just because their parents were not the same breed as one another. People like the op who try to help any animal in need come here for help and support, and quite frankly, your comments and suggestions were not particularly helpful, and were found by some posters to be upsetting.
    Please get a feel for the forum before posting again, for now I'd ask you not to post in this thread again, although I take it from your last post that you have said what you have to say. Let's leave it at that.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

would it be worth trying to contact <snip> to see would they know somebody. I admire you for the care and work you are putting into these poor puppies. I hope they make it

Mod note: Recommendations of rescue groups by PM only please.

Advertisement