Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Installation - Queries re: Saorview / Saorsat / Freeview

• 23-02-2015 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi,

I have recently moved to Kildare into my g/f's house.

We now have Sky+ HD installed in the sitting room with the Satellite dish to the rear of the house.

I am keen to have a tv installed in the kitchen and one of the other rooms in the house. For the kitchen (and other room) tv's, I would like to have the Saorview channels (RTE etc) and the Uk Freeview channels (BBC, UTV, Film4 etc). Can anyone help me with this and advise what I need?

We do not have a tv aerial on the house... just the satellite dish that feeds the Sky.

I assume that I need a new aerial and two boxes?

Any links / advice or help greatly appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Woodie40

Hi,

I have recently moved to Kildare into my g/f's house.

We now have Sky+ HD installed in the sitting room with the Satellite dish to the rear of the house.

I am keen to have a tv installed in the kitchen and one of the other rooms in the house. For the kitchen (and other room) tv's, I would like to have the Saorview channels (RTE etc) and the Uk Freeview channels (BBC, UTV, Film4 etc). Can anyone help me with this and advise what I need?

We do not have a tv aerial on the house... just the satellite dish that feeds the Sky.

I assume that I need a new aerial and two boxes?

You could go for SKY multi Room or

You will need an aerial for Saorview, you may be able to pick up Freeview but no guarantee. I live near the border and Freeview sometimes doesn't work.
    I would use the aerial for Saorview and put an lnb on the satelite dish which will allow you to run another one or more cables for the satelite channels either FTA Box or Freesat Box. TV Trade is a good site and there very professional to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭swoofer

Its quite possible the sky dish has a quad lnb ie 4 outputs so just run cables. Ask the neighbours if they get freeview and look at rooftops ie at aerial types. If you buy 2 new tv's with saorview tuners then you could get freeview as well, save on boxes. SAORSAT is a waste of time, no tv3 or utv. and satellite at 9east so tricky to install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

http://www.saorview.ie/get-saorview/make-the-switch/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

can Saorsat pick up the free to air German and Swiss channels listed below since they are on same orbital positon?

http://www.lyngsat.com/Eutelsat-9A-and-Ka-Sat-9A.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Gonzo wrote: »
    can Saorsat pick up the free to air German and Swiss channels listed below since they are on same orbital positon?

Not with the Saorsat LNB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Zilog

Regarding the cabling, you can run the terrestrial aerial signal over the same cable as your satellite using these:
    Satellite combiners
    Note that each satellite receiver "box" will have one or two satellite feeds. You need to piggyback on one satellite feed to each room.

A neater way to do it is with a multiswitch, but that may be further than you wish to go!

Advertisement