Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rates for renting a space in a salon

Options
  • 23-02-2015 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi new to this any idea on the rates for renting a space in a hair salon for a nail bar? Self employed and owning her own equipment
    any advice woyld be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Thats way to general for anyone to be able to give an answer to. Anywhere from €100 a month to €1000 a month could be reasonable depending on the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 creggers

jimmii wrote: »
    Thats way to general for anyone to be able to give an answer to. Anywhere from €100 a month to €1000 a month could be reasonable depending on the location.

I own a hair salon and i was looking to provide a nail service. If i was to get a technician in the shop who is self employed and has ther own equipment what do i charge for rent.. She would have a small space to set up?.. im not sure how it works really im nor looking to emply someone
    but to offer a space

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Completely dependent on location. Have a look on daft and see what the approximate €/sqft rate is in your area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

creggers wrote: »
    I own a hair salon and i was looking to provide a nail service. If i was to get a technician in the shop who is self employed and has ther own equipment what do i charge for rent.. She would have a small space to set up?.. im not sure how it works really im nor looking to emply someone but to offer a space

I consider it to be an idea with good potential for both parties – there are several positives about it, you could get extra customers, the nail person could get a ready access to your existing business and start up with minimal outlay. However, if you are leasing your premises you need to check the conditions of the lease – most do not allow sub-leases, but if the incomer is not given one the landlord might bend a little and turn a blind eye to the new activity.

The two businesses could attract the same type of customer but do not compete. I would calculate the premises overheads of your business (rent, rates, light, heat, insurance) and allocate that on a square footage basis to the ‘incomer’. Make sure your insurance policy covers the nail business. I would also consider factoring in a small percentage ‘commission’ on the turnover from the nail bar.

You should also draw up an agreement, detailing key items e.g. opening hours, staffing, management, joint advertising, what needs to be done if there is a ‘separation’, notice periods, non-compete (you don’t want the nail person to leave and open up a hair salon-cum-nail bar down the road) perhaps allow for an annual review to reconsider on the basis of performance, turnover, who is bringing in most business for the other, etc.

The big downside is that the ‘incomer’ might not run the nail business properly and that would have a huge negative impact on the image of your business.

Managed properly it could be good for you, best of luck with it and do let us know how you get on.

Advertisement