Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Growing Eros and Symphony strawberry plants

• 23-02-2015 5:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭

Im growing strawberries for the first time and the 2 varieties I am thinking about buying are Eros and Symphony. Eros appears to be superior to Elsanta and Cambridge favourite and Symphony extends the season. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭qzy

I have grown both Cambridge Favourite and Elsanta, and I much prefer Elsanta of the two. CF are smaller and rounder than Elsanta in my experience, and while they have more fruit, taste inferior. CF send out tons of runners though, if multiplying your crop quickly is something you are looking to do. I find Ostara fruit right up until the first frosts and are very nice.

I don't know about Eros but they look good....
    Raised at H.R.I. East Malling from a cross between Elsanta and Allstar. Eros is an alternative variety to Elsanta with a higher percentage of class 1 fruits, fewer mis-shapen berries, a higher yield potential and greater resistance to Red Core. The fruits have an attractive glossy skin with a good mid-red colour and are regular and conical in shape. Texture is similar to Elsanta and well flavoured.The plants are moderately vigorous with an erect and open habit that displays the fruit well. Eros has the advantage that the crown of the plant is more frost hardy in northern areas. A lovely new mid-season variety with heavy yields of exceptional quality fruit.

Symphony not so exciting sounding?...
    The variety is e few days (5-7) later than Elsanta. Its fruits are very large, glossy and firm. Taste is reasonable. The plants are less susceptible to fungous diseases than Elsanta.

Advertisement