Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin West General Election - SEE MOD NOTE POST 19.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I've gotten to that stage too. Since I'm on the borders of D15 I'm actually in Dublin North West constituency, and this is the selection of I'll have to chose from:
    Noel Rock (FG), John Lyons (Lab), Paul McAuliffe (FF), Roisin Shortall (SD), Dessie Ellis (SF), Cathleen Carney Boud (SF), Andrew Keegan (AAA/PBP), Jimmy Dignam (WP), Caroline Conroy (GP), cormac McKay (DDI)

I'm really beginning to think it'll be a case of blindfolding myself and sticking a pin into the ballot paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Chambers's crew canvassing around Tyrrelstown this afternoon, and as I passed they were knocking into McGuinness's house. Brilliant.

When they were at mine I mentioned that I thought he was too young with no life experience. Without a hint of irony the canvasser told me sure some people are in there decades so new blood and ideas are needed. Yeah, because he's not stepping into an extended country wide family legacy or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Chambers's crew canvassing around Tyrrelstown this afternoon, and as I passed they were knocking into McGuinness's house. Brilliant.

When they were at mine I mentioned that I thought he was too young with no life experience. Without a hint of irony the canvasser told me sure some people are in there decades so new blood and ideas are needed. Yeah, because he's not stepping into an extended county wide family legacy or anything.

F*ckers called when I was in the shower.
    Raging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

The only expenses that have to be declared are ones from when the election is called.

How much would yous say chambers crew have spent prior to that?

If you add in the sponsored social media ads, the bus shelter ads, phone box ads, paid dropped leaflets every 2 weeks for the last 6 months and just this morning, every house in the constituency gets a stamped address leaflet again from chambers, you are in the region of about €40,000 before the election even kicks off.

surely it will have a positive effect for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

anybody actually email their local rep to say their piece before the election is over ? i.e. what they want for the area

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Sinn Fein getting an early start and getting the prime real estate on the poles by putting up their posters around Mulhuddart this evening. I thought they had to wait until the Dail is dissolved before doing this?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,297 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

They always seem to be first with them up and last with them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Sinn Fein getting an early start and getting the prime real estate on the poles by putting up their posters around Mulhuddart this evening. I thought they had to wait until the Dail is dissolved before doing this?

I'm laughing here because a staunch SF supporter who I am friends with on bookface was berating another candidate for doing the same on Monday night, any chance you can tell me where in Mulhuddart? I won't get out tonight as kids are in bed and husband in work.

BTW, anyone any info on TJ Clare, I've never heard of him but smartvote.ie tells me I should vote for him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

January wrote: »
    I'm laughing here because a staunch SF supporter who I am friends with on bookface was berating another candidate for doing the same on Monday night, any chance you can tell me where in Mulhuddart? I won't get out tonight as kids are in bed and husband in work.

Opposite Aldi

Edit - and along Church Road too on the new bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Opposite Aldi.

Thank you, just went to point it out on his page and he seems to have deleted the post. He must already know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Seen them putting SF posters as well on mountview Rd, it was about half six this evening. Thought it was a tad early.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I bloody hate posters. I get irrationally angry when I see them up too early, or not taken down on time, or not at the correct height. I feel that if the candidates have any respect for their community they'll make sure that the posters are put up properly. I don't care that they don't personally put them up. If their faces are on them they're their responsibility. Catherine Noone has stupid meeting posters up that are 99% election poster and 1% meeting poster. She's not getting a vote from me because she has so many of them up. Petty? Yes, but she's ruining the area with them and taking the piss with their design. I couldn't even read the meeting information.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,968 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Same SF postermen blocked up friggin traffic on the Littlepace Road at 7.45 tonight, parked their van in the mouth of the roundabout and threw on the hazard lights. Stupid bloody selfish ignorance.

If Donnelly reads this, he just lost a preference and theres a formal complaint going into Fingal in the morning. €150 fine per poster would dent the coffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Same SF postermen blocked up friggin traffic on the Littlepace Road at 7.45 tonight, parked their van in the mouth of the roundabout and threw on the hazard lights. Stupid bloody selfish ignorance.

If Donnelly reads this, he just lost a preference and theres a formal complaint going into Fingal in the morning. €150 fine per poster would dent the coffers.

His face is on every lamppost in Corduff, complete overkill. It might sound petty but I wouldn't vote for anyone who can't obey a simple rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

My dad's been driving around, taking photos of all the ones he could find. Email gone into the council

eviltwin wrote: »
    His face is on every lamppost in Corduff, complete overkill. It might sound petty but I wouldn't vote for anyone who can't obey a simple rule.

It doesnt. I wouldnt either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

January wrote: »

BTW, anyone any info on TJ Clare, I've never heard of him but smartvote.ie tells me I should vote for him...

Ran in the locals, can't remember what put me off him at the time but something did ;)

In defence of Catherine Noone, and not in any way indicative of my voting intentions, she was new to the area so has been having public meetings for over a year now. At least the most recent posters are legible, the earlier ones had so much text they were impossible to read without stopping to do so.

Election due to be called tomorrow so posters can't legally be erected until Thursday is at least a second old. So even if posters go up tomorrow it's still illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Nope, because the election is less than 30 days away, as soon as the writ is signed they can go up. I remember walking into mass in 2008 with no posters, and walking out with Varadkar's face plastered around Laurel Lodge.

Nope, because the election is less than 30 days away, as soon as the writ is signed they can go up. I remember walking into mass in 2008 with no posters, and walking out with Varadkar's face plastered around Laurel Lodge.

No General Election in 2008 :p Think you mean 2007 when the writ was moved at 6am on a Sunday morning ;) Oops, when did I become a nerd :o

Definitely saw stuff from councils on twitter today saying nothing until the day after the writ is moved though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

The whole 'Your Seanad Representative for Dublin West' slogan really turned me off Catherine Noone, especially as she had been using that moniker in her previous constituency before she was parachuted in here. The flood of posters over the last year certainly didn't help improve my opinion of her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Posters are an eye swore and are not needed anymore I think SF use them alot because their key voters might have a problem reading

Posters are an eye swore and are not needed anymore I think SF use them alot because their key voters might have a problem reading

Research disagrees. Posters raise profiles particularly when people disengage from current affairs in the media. Much as I hate them and thought social media would have made them redundant but alas not yet.

Sinn Fein all over the Snugborough Road too. This is taking the absolute proverbial so time to email Fingal. Environment@fingal.ie if anyone is wondering ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

The 'David McGuinness' posters won't be going up until Thursday, for two reasons.

1 - If we went up first, the usual crew (who you've been talking about), will cut them down on their travels. They took all of Coppingers down last night. Check #DUBW to see for yourselves.

2 - We'll allow everyone scramble around killing themselves up polls, 1 day won't make a difference.

There will be no where as many (From David) as what went up last night from SF. It's really in your face but not so sure it would turn potential voters off them.

I do agree posters are great for making someone relevant but I don't think it actually has a massive impact on votes. Opinion polls seem to be relatively accurate, and they are known prior to posters going up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

athtrasna wrote: »
    Research disagrees.

Any link to that research? I hear people say that all the time but to be honest I'm skeptical, I dont know anyone who finds posters anything other than annoying and off-putting. By the time the election comes around there are nio many posters we just get overloaded and stop seeing them anyway.

Mind you I have been taking note of who was putting up the 'Public meeting' posters over the last few months and they are definitely off the list for a vote.
    It really annoys me that candidates feel it's ok to bend the rules/exploit loopholes in the rules around election posters and then expect to be elected as lawmakers.

This is taking the absolute proverbial so time to email Fingal. Environment@fingal.ie if anyone is wondering ;)

Fixmystreet is useful either. Quite a few complaints of the above nature logged on there already.

Gaspode wrote: »
    Any link to that research? I hear people say that all the time but to be honest I'm skeptical, I dont know anyone who finds posters anything other than annoying and off-putting. By the time the election comes around there are nio many posters we just get overloaded and stop seeing them anyway.

Mind you I have been taking note of who was putting up the 'Public meeting' posters over the last few months and they are definitely off the list for a vote.
    It really annoys me that candidates feel it's ok to bend the rules/exploit loopholes in the rules around election posters and then expect to be elected as lawmakers.

Will look later, I definitely heard it being discussed on the radio recently.

With respect to public meetings I think posters on here are being unfairly harsh. These were opportunities for the public to have their say and to meet the politicians people will be on here complaining about not meeting for the next month. They are held with not insignificant costs to the person holding them (have you seen room hire costs in the area lately) and often with expert guest speakers who presumably charge for their time. The public aren't going to know about the meetings without posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

With respect to public meetings I think posters on here are being unfairly harsh. These were opportunities for the public to have their say and to meet the politicians people will be on here complaining about not meeting for the next month. They are held with not insignificant costs to the person holding them (have you seen room hire costs in the area lately) and often with expert guest speakers who presumably charge for their time. The public aren't going to know about the meetings without posters.

Thats a hape of ****e. People organise stuff for all kinds of things all the time without resorting to putting poxy looking posters on lamp posts. Call a spade a spade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

SF all over Blanch village this morning too. Am raging. Could they not wait a couple of hours? Complaint going into the litter warden at 9am.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I don't have a problem with them advertising public meetings. I have a problem with them using it as an opportunity to get their election posters up early, because that's what Catherine Noone's posters are. The information aspect of the posters is tiny. Plus there's absolutely no need to put so many up. If they really cared about the issues they're having public meetings about they could organise one without it being all about them. Surely they want as many people as possible to attend? Plenty of people will avoid these meetings because they don't like the party or politician involved. Focus on the issues and more people might attend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭damemcd

Just asking, but will those people contacting litter warden at 9.00 am etc be doing so in regards to one party , and one party only , are will they be complaining about every party poster that jumped the gun, so to speak?

Advertisement