Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin West General Election - SEE MOD NOTE POST 19.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Shame it will probably be all changed from this evening.

As.night follows day, a people carrier was unloading a pile of posters for Chambers as I drove by this evening, looks like the guy was planning on plastering the railings at the entrance to Tyrrelstown with posters.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,298 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It's a shame that they're not limited to the number of posters they can use. Something like "here's your 200 posters, use them wisely because you won't be getting any more". At least then you wouldn't see the wanton plastering of the bloody things on every available pole or fence for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

I'm relatively young but just can't imagine voting for a 22 year old with limited life experience to form opinions of his own. I'm sure he has opinions, I just doubt they are his own. I think I'd give Mcguinness a preference though. Probably wouldn't have if he was still ff.

Sf and noone posters up at clonsilla train station this morning.
    I'm pretty sure he's 24/25, and I'm absolutely sure that life experience isn't limited to having lived a longer life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Just drove home through Castleknock and the standard of postering is shocking. Every single Renua poster is illegally low and spotted Chambers on electricity poles and traffic signs :o

Canadel wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure he's 24/25, and I'm absolutely sure that life experience isn't limited to having lived a longer life.

What life experience do you think he brings to the table?

• Advertisement

Giggled my way down the Hartstown Road just now, looks like there's a different party up a ladder at every pole!

Shame the wind has died down. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,968 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Bring on Storm Imogen, i hope she's a biggun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

Can someone point me to where i can see the rules for posters, and where i can complain?

Canadel wrote: »

what experience has he got? Has he paid tax? moved tax brackets? filed a p21? received a p45? Registered his pps number with a new employer? Has he ever been a member of a union? had a peer review?

• Advertisement

how many candidates are currently sitting on the CC?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

how many candidates are currently sitting on the CC?

4- Donnelly, McGuinness, O'Gorman, and Chamber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

athtrasna wrote: »
    Just drove home through Castleknock and the standard of postering is shocking. Every single Renua poster is illegally low and spotted Chambers on electricity poles and traffic signs :o

Have to agree, the posters were shocking and you have identified the two biggest culprits. However, Clare has put up his overnight and they are even lower.

Not a sign of a McGuinness or O'Gorman poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

what experience has he got? Has he paid tax? moved tax brackets? filed a p21? received a p45? Registered his pps number with a new employer? Has he ever been a member of a union? had a peer review?

The only taxable position he had was one of county councillor, for little over a year now. His performance in there is non existent. But

A county councillor is a vocation, not a job.

I know some people will not like negativity toward a candidate, but, the two heavy hitters are here in leo and Joan. That's what jack is up against.

Leo is a fully qualified doctor. Jack pulled out of his studies.
    Leo worked for a living. Jack has not.
    Leo has a mortgage. Jack lives in a gated community with his parents.

This is how people think when electing a government.

Godge wrote: »
    Have to agree, the posters were shocking and you have identified the two biggest culprits. However, Clare has put up his overnight and they are even lower.

They're coming ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,968 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The RTE Election 2016 page has offered all 500+ candidates an opportunity to post a one minute video to promote themselves. Most have. They make interesting viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

The only taxable position he had was one of county councillor, for little over a year now. His performance in there is non existent. But

A county councillor is a vocation, not a job.

I know some people will not like negativity toward a candidate, but, the two heavy hitters are here in leo and Joan. That's what jack is up against.

Leo is a fully qualified doctor. Jack pulled out of his studies.
    Leo worked for a living. Jack has not.
    Leo has a mortgage. Jack lives in a gated community with his parents.

This is how people think when electing a government.

He is a County Councillor since May 2014, a bit more than 'A little over a year ago' and he won his seat quite easily, topping the poll. He sits on 4 maybe 5 committees and is Deputy Mayor, I wouldn't say 'non existent'

He pulled out of his medical studies when elected to the council, don't forget this is after getting an Honours Degree in Law and Politics.

You would be hard pressed to find any single 24 year old in the country, working or not, who has the ability to get, don't mind even hold down a mortgage.

But don't vote for him because he has never had a job:rolleyes:

That post just comes across bitter chuck.

AGC wrote: »
    He pulled out of his medical studies when elected to the council, don't forget this is after getting an Honours Degree in Law and Politics.

You would be hard pressed to find any single 24 year old in the country, working or not, who has the ability to get, don't mind even hold down a mortgage.

That's a pretty stupid thing to do, drop out of medical studies to take up a part time job?

Look, the guy still lives at home, doesn't have to manage any sort of serious financial issues, and never has had a full time job.

Like it or not, it's a very serious negative on his behalf.

Godge wrote: »

O'Gorman posters were up in Blanchardstown last night, more to follow probably.

Talking to a woman from Corduff last night. She said SF posters went up on Monday night!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

Playing Devils advocate, but David McGuinness was the youngest ever county counciller for FF at 23 and was 25 when he ran in 2011, don't think we heard too much from McGuinness supporters then talking about inexperience and age

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Blured wrote: »
    Playing Devils advocate, but David McGuinness was the youngest ever county counciller for FF at 23 and was 25 when he ran in 2011, don't think we heard too much from McGuinness supporters then talking about inexperience and age

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the main difference is that David had a job and didn't live with his mammy.

They'll tell you he was working.

January wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the main difference is that David had a job and didn't live with his mammy.

I love this 'living with his mammy' 'living in a gated community with his parents'

How many single 24 year olds are out on their own with a mortgage???

He is a County Councillor since May 2014, a bit more than 'A little over a year ago' and he won his seat quite easily, topping the poll. He sits on 4 maybe 5 committees and is Deputy Mayor, I wouldn't say 'non existent'

I don't see chuck's post as being bitter, although I would say that the McGuinness camp have every reason to feel that way. You have a party that has discarded a candidate who has gone from picking up around 600 first preference votes in 2011 to being the last candidate to contest the seat against Ruth Coppinger in the 2014 bye-election. Even if you're not a FF supporter it's clear that he was doing something right. And then he gets dumped for a student who has no political background other than a brief stint on the county council but who does have the right family connections. FF have seriously shot themselves in the foot here imo. Not only have they removed a genuine contender for a seat from the party gene pool and put him in direct opposition to their chosen one, but they've reinforced the "old boys' club" mentality of Irish politics that many had hoped that we were getting away from.

@AGC It is not bitter, it is a reality.

Sitting on boards in the council is a position that involves extremely very little. Go to Fingal county council meetings online, find how many times he has contributed or spoke in chamber.

Now keep this in mind. He wants to go to parliament. As for deputy mayor - he was elected to that by FF councillors. It's a way to get a photo op and performs no other function.

While checking, see if you can find who contributes most at council level, but in terms of speaking and motions and the work they were elected to do.

The problem is, no one bothers to check and no one really cares.

Finally - most students work a part time job to study and keep active and most parents insist on it. It's part of being brought up responsibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I love this 'living with his mammy' 'living in a gated community with his parents'

Most people I know were out of their parents house by the age of 24. They might not have had mortgages but they had degrees (or a trade) and rented.

David was a teacher (from 21) before being a county councillor. He put himself in 3rd level and COMPLETED it. He had no leg up from no one and so too has many others.

It's just a reality.

He now has a family, a mortgage and regardless of what happens on the 26th, he has done a brilliant job in local politics and it can never be taken away from him. Let's be fair, many others have done this too, but Jack Chambers dropped out of college to become a county councillor and wants to step stone in to parliament and you know what - it might just happen because people vote for their betters, apparently. :D

You've brought this up a couple of times, you don't need a mortgage to move out into the big bad world.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You've brought this up a couple of times, you don't need a mortgage to move out into the big bad world.

And Jack Chambers won't need one either. When he wants to move out, a house will be provided for him.

In that context, on what basis can he or does he represent 70% of Dublin west? On what basis?

• Advertisement

David was a teacher (from 21) before being a county councillor. He put himself in 3rd level and COMPLETED it. He had no leg up from no one and so too has many others.

It's just a reality.

He now has a family, a mortgage and regardless of what happens on the 26th, he has done a brilliant job in local politics and it can never be taken away from him. Let's be fair, many others have done this too, but Jack Chambers dropped out of college to become a county councillor and wants to step stone in to parliament and you know what - it might just happen because people vote for their betters, apparently. :D

He has completed a law and politics degree. Do you just not acknowledge that??

He would not represent a large % of the country being in a position where the family would be extremely comfortable , but he is alongside many of our politicians in this regard. But keep the personal jabs going in.

@Thisregard, no you don't need a mortgage, I am just going off why posters are not showing support for him and it is what they are saying.

Advertisement